Development Diary - 24th of December

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You would add Celtics in southern Baetica. Look at the Cilbiceni and Celtici on this map. Plus Turdetani were not unified, they were a collection of city states with their own kings, elder councils, etc. You would avoid that blob.

hispania7.gif

Dev diary on Iberia, nice! Seems like a good place to start in, fail miserably and restart again and again until i figure out how to properly play the game.

As a Portuguese fellow myself who resides on the geographical area controled by Bracaria, i would like to know, is Bracaria independent and unaligned?

EDIT: Apparently i cant read, Bracaria is independent and unaligned. 1st playthrough decided

Great dev diary!
1- Will the Cantabrians have traditions that give them advantages using light cavalry?
2- Also, about the Astures, as they were historical mercenaries, it got me wondering: will we be able to recruit barbarian mercenaries in the game as well?
3-Lastly, what about the balearians? Nothing on them this dev diary?

Nice DD, I thought Paradox was on holiday and only came to the forum for other discussions,but this is a great present !

I don't care much for the list of names of tribes, they don't mean anything to me, but I'm looking for a cool name and map color, and then there is Emporion. I will make them Great Again. Shame they are Greek, but oh well :)

Great DD! Especially considering you should be on holiday, so thank you for taking the time to do this on Christmas Eve! Game is looking great so far and really torn between where to actually start in my first playthrough now... Merry Christmas, have a great holiday and look forward to the announcement of either 15th March or 21st April release date... ;)

Thanks for the DD Trin, wasn't expecting one on Christmas eve. I would love to see a cultural map of Hispania if at all possible. I remember from somewhere that the Vasconians and Aquitanians in Gaul were grouped with the Celtics which seemed really odd but I'm not sure if that is the case anymore, but if they are I assume it's for game play reasons or something of the sort.

You would add Celtics in southern Baetica. Look at the Cilbiceni and Celtici on this map. Plus Turdetani were not unified, they were a collection of city states with their own kings, elder councils, etc. You would avoid that blob.

hispania7.gif
etrurians wasnt unified aswell , almost each greek league wasnt unified but in the game they represent 1 core country , why ? because its about external politiques not internal ones , turdetani would be devided if this was ck2 but its not , each group of tribes were unified against external enemies and this is what this game is 80% about , facing external enemies and this is why each confederation of tribes or cities are formed under 1 blob .

Then why Gallaecians, Asturians, etc. are divided in every single subtribe and not unified? I will say you: because it is easy to find the tribal subdivisions with a simple search in Google Images.

Hey Trin! Awesome DD as usual. Iberia seems like a whole world in itself. I'm looking forward to uniting it! Which makes me wonder.. Will there be more than one tier of formable tags? Like, if you unite the tribes and form one of the tribal federations, then eventually you unite a larger part of the peninsula, could you be able to form another nation, or some kind of Iberian(/Hispanic?) nation if you conquer all of it?

Thanks! God jul!

Cantabrians can form a tribal federation too, right? it's not stated outright in their description, but i assume they would be able to do that just like any other of the tribal supergroups.

Then why Gallaecians, Asturians, etc. are divided in every single subtribe and not unified? I will say you: because it is easy to find the tribal subdivisions with a simple search in Google Images.
dude , understand the difference between the etrurian or iceni or arveni or boethian or turditani exemples and the the asturian one or whatever .

turditanis and icenis and others acted like a 1 entity when it comes to interaction with carthage or rome or any other power . they were solid leagues or tribal confederations . something the other much more divided ones didnt show until very later . the asturian exemple is a much more primitive one , easy to exploit where half of the region join a power and the second half join a second power , just like during carthage invasion of iberia or ceasar in gaul where they always fight only a half tribe while the second half is allied to them .
lusitanians didnt act as a single entity here since many of its members joined carthage . this mean they dont deserve to be represented as a single entity but turditani was a powerful blob region that even if divided internaly they were unified when it comes to dealing with carthage or others . if half of etruscans chosed to stand with rome or gauls then i am sure that we wont have a single nation instead we will have a fragmented etruria aswell .
actually following this logic rome itself should be fragmented since many cities were technically independent and just in a pact with rome but not an integral part of rome itself .

but this dont work this way , turdetania was always represented as a half civilized kingdom like nation . rome was always solid internally , the etruscans too , the icenis etc .... this is why they should remain that way .

I mean cool flavor text but unless there's something I'm not aware of they all play the exact same (within the same government type at least), would have preferred to see actual mechanics as opposed to flavor text that won't really be reflected in game.
We really don't know much about these people, that would be near impossible.

Please change Avila to Obila, Avila it does not make sense, its pre-Roman name is Obila, and the roman name is Abula. I'm from Ávila!

https://www.tarraconensis.com/avila/avila.html
https://www.arteguias.com/romanico_ambavila.htm

I believe Segovia may have a similar problem using the modern name.

Anyway, as usual, the map is mindblowing

Great DD! Although it looks like that the city of Gadir is misplaced. In reality it was situated on an island near the coastline in Venice-like style, which I think can be great addition
it may be cool but I think it would make it a bit tricky to click it, Maybe if you give it some hinterland to the city to ease the interface it might work. My only concern is that it isnt clear if it starts with the big port, lighthouse and temple that it should have, but anyway I do not know if there are other game balance considerations.

:cool: It seems like the whole world looks like the HRE from EU4.

If you’re asking if this will be a torture simulator though, then no it will not.

That would be Victoria.

The game uses AUC since it is indeed odd to have a countdown to something before it happens in game :)

Maybe "Start date" info should be stickied.

Last edited:
0/10 No Suessetani, Ceretani, Bergistani, Berones, Pellendones, Uraci, Laietani, Lacetani or Turboletae. And the Ebro Delta sticks out too much.

Just kidding, this looks amazing!