Imperator - Development Diary #7 - 9th of July 2018

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Most of the tribal nations are being changed to a proper noun. In this case, we'll be using Senonia.

I expect this will displease some, but as we have to display tribes as a map object, rather than an indistinct tribal location, we'll have to make adjustments.

Authors sometimes used this practice when referring to 'the land of the Arverni' - Arvernia, etc.

Don't tell me you are gonna change Boi right? That migt give you a lot of prominence but I doubt it'll be popular.

I don't think so. Being loved by the masses and hated by the elites means being well known, which is what Prominence is supposed to represent. This means both high Prominence and high Popularity.

You can't be popular without also being prominent (well-known). That would be contradictory. Basically, it means that:
Every popular person is prominent, but not every prominent person is popular.

You can't be popular without also being prominent (well-known). That would be contradictory. Basically, it means that:

Not necessarily true if popular refers to the percentage of people who like you(among those who know you) and not to the total amount of people who like you.

Ex:

Known by 3000, loved by 1000 - high prominence, 33% popularity
Known by 3000, loved by 2000 - high prominence, 66% popularity
Known by 300, loved by 300 - low prominence, 100% popularity

Are characters in Imperator autonomous like in CK2? That is, have their own AI, with their own agenda, and can build buldings in thier provinces, promote pops etc? It'd be cool if there was a law or an option to allowe that so as to reduce tedious micromanagment for large empires, just like in CK2 where you trust your nobles to do it for you. In this case it would be governors doing it to you. It'd be historical as well, as that its what they are supposed to do.

If "high popularity characters are more likely to elected leader of the republic" and "jobs and titles help bring characters to public attention", then it should go like this: you are popular -> you get elected for an office -> you get a job/title -> you gain prominence.

Okay, known but hated makes sense.
Could you give an example of what an low prominence, but high popularity person would be? I feel like people need to know about you in order to like you. Or can you only be popular/unpopular, once you hit some amount of prominence?

This might be my english failing me, but "Is able to" and "is capable of" don't sound like two different things.
They aren't different things but for some reason you completely ignored the other half of the sentence
"is capable of doing" versus "how well a character is able to do it"

hi, great dev diary, however maybe Canaanite is just the religion of this character, but the "religion" of carthage was more a mixed of several religion and deity from north africa, Phoenicia, and from Mediterranean sea in general.

These portraits are pretty awesome!

I realise the game is early in development and borders will be changed going forward, but why does Carthage control northeastern Sicily in 304? The peace treaty with Agathokles in 306 confined the Carthaginians to their old western portion of the island. (And I don't think they controlled Messana at any point after 343?).

They aren't different things but for some reason you completely ignored the other half of the sentence
"is capable of doing" versus "how well a character is able to do it"

As in one is a yes/no check (need 7 martial to do action) and the other one is is more granular (20% popularity = 5% chance to get elected, 30% =10% chance and so on)?

Not necessarily true if popular refers to the percentage of people who like you(among those who know you) and not to the total amount of people who like you.

Ex:

Known by 3000, loved by 1000 - high prominence, 33% popularity
Known by 3000, loved by 2000 - high prominence, 66% popularity
Known by 300, loved by 300 - low prominence, 100% popularity

Both Prominence and Popularity work on percentages. Just because you are an OPM doesn't mean that Prominence should now nonexistent.

Are characters in Imperator autonomous like in CK2? That is, have their own AI, with their own agenda, and can build buldings in thier provinces, promote pops etc? It'd be cool if there was a law or an option to allowe that so as to reduce tedious micromanagment for large empires, just like in CK2 where you trust your nobles to do it for you. In this case it would be governors doing it to you. It'd be historical as well, as that its what they are supposed to do.

They do, but not in the same way as in CK2 where they are autonomous entities that play by the same rules as the player (as you play with the Spirit of the Nation, not solely as a character).

If "high popularity characters are more likely to elected leader of the republic" and "jobs and titles help bring characters to public attention", then it should go like this: you are popular -> you get elected for an office -> you get a job/title -> you gain prominence.

Indeed, but I doubt that many character who don't already have Prominence will get elected either. A former governor or general with numerous friends and strong position in the polical party should have more chances to get elected than some random 15 years old boy, and their chances are higher due to Prominence.

I always understood prominence as social standing, venerability mainly gained from belonging to senatorial/aristocratic class and holding offices.
So senator of Roman Republic can be prominent but also not popular while some victorious general who never held office and wasnt born in senatorial family can be popular but not prominent.

Will there be some sort of character view, where traits and their icons are displayed, or will we only be able to see traits as a list, like we see on the screenshot in the dev diary?

There are four attributes that characters have.
  • Martial represents a character's ability to fight and lead troops. Characters with high martial skills make excellent generals.
  • Charisma is a character’s ability to charm and persuade others.
  • Zeal is a character's ability to inspire faith in other characters, and also in calling upon the favour of the gods.
  • Finesse represents a character's skill in disciplines requiring a high attention to detail. High finesse characters make excellent researchers and governors.

Im so looking forward to this. I realy like the simmilarity to crusader Kings.
However are theseattributes final?
Which of them indicates how skilled my characters are in diplomacy or how good they are in learning (how smart they are).

Can we suppose that we can assign teachers/guardians to children who Pass in there knowlegde?
Unlike to the middleages schools where a thing during the roman reign, will there be any? Atleast masters who can teach more than 2 children at the same time.

Oh and can we have slave teachers? Masters of knowlegde captured from foreign countries, as it was common back in their times?

Hello everyone and welcome to the seventh developer diary for Imperator. This time we take a look at our characters!

The characters in Imperator are deeply detailed, and together with the pops and the politics are part of what makes a vibrant living world.

They have portraits that age gradually, with lots of different ethnicities covering the world.

There are four attributes that characters have.
  • Martial represents a character's ability to fight and lead troops. Characters with high martial skills make excellent generals.
  • Charisma is a character’s ability to charm and persuade others.
  • Zeal is a character's ability to inspire faith in other characters, and also in calling upon the favour of the gods.
  • Finesse represents a character's skill in disciplines requiring a high attention to detail. High finesse characters make excellent researchers and governors.

For those of you that played the original Rome or the Crusader Kings series will not be surprised to hear that our characters have traits. Traits on a character can be gained or lost.

Traits can be categorized in the following categories.
  • Personality - This includes being Brave or Coward, Cruel or Merciful. These impacts the character attributes and stats directly, as well as….. :)
  • Military - Usually a character has a maximum of one of those, that may give a bonus or penalty
  • Health - Stressed, Maimed, Lunatic etc. Not beneficial to the character in most cases.
  • Status - Some exceptional traits that can be given from actions, like Conqueror
Traits can also unlock a variety of unique event options, each tailored to the specific trait in question. Those of you familiar with CKII will be (dis)pleased to see the return of the Lunatic trait.

A Character also has his or her personal wealth, and four primary stats.
  • Popularity - Popularity is a measure of how the people see the character. In republics high popularity characters are more likely to elected leader of the republic. However even monarchies cannot ignore popular people.
  • Loyalty - Loyalty is a measure of a character's loyalty to the state. Disloyal characters are more likely to cause problems to a ruler than loyal ones. However even the most loyal of characters has their limit.
  • Prominence - Prominence represents the fame of the character. Jobs and titles help bring characters to public attention.
  • Corruption - Corruption is a measurement of this character’s willingness to engage in underhanded practices. Greed, bribery and the bending of rules come hand-in-hand with high corruption.

Characters have parents, will be able to marry and get children, just as you’d expect. They can also have friends and rivals.

Characters can be given various roles. Besides being ruler of a country, they could be assigned to govern a province, command an army, handle research or be given a role in the government. Some countries allow women to be given offices, and some do not.

There are lots of different interactions you can do with and on your characters, including arranging marriages, bribe them, loan from them, or even sacrifice them if your religions so permit and desire. There will be a deep development diary on those later in development.

View attachment 387337

We’ll also talk about the factions characters can be in, what holdings are, and other character related things in future development diaries, but next week we’ll go into trade.
Huh, seeing how Sicily alone should have 2 or 3 provinces, I have to ask, will we have a level above provinces for administration?
It might get quite micro heavy if, at some point, you see yourself with a realm ranging from, say, Egypt to Britain.

Another question I have is that you seem to have a province interface open with a city selected, so will there be a more direct way to interact with cities or will it have to be done through that province UI?

• Loyalty - Loyalty is a measure of a character's loyalty to the state. Disloyal characters are more likely to cause problems to a ruler than loyal ones. However even the most loyal of characters has their limit.
Will we need to manage loyal and disloyal characters more realistically or rush to please disloyal ones, leaving those who actually like us in power with bread crumbs like in CKII?
...or even sacrifice them if your religions so permit and desire.
Inb4 no Carthaginian child sacrifices because it is "too far"