• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Not that I imagine it to be a huge deal, but you should report your AAR in The Inkwell and the HoI3 LibrAARy! If only to bring more attention that HOI3 AAR forum is still going strong!

My current plan is to do exactly that once I've gotten up to a couple of pages, just as an assurance to myself that this actually goes somewhere and doesn't die of my often-unreliable attention span. :confused:

Subbed! It will be interesting to see whether you will be able to build those small Juneau-CL after and parallel to the Clevelands etc for a nearly OTL-navy.

That might be a bit tricky, as OTL the Juneaus were not commissioned until 1946. However, the preceding Atlanta-class AA cruisers were, if I recall correctly, launched prior to Pearl Harbor, so those at least will make an appearance alongside the Clevelands.

Nice colourful update! A welcome hint of some narrative fun to come and more ‘HPP tutorial’ notes. Settling in for the long ride. :)

Glad you approve! It's always a bit of a guessing game with humor, as to how well it will be received by one's AARdience.

Also, I liked the update. Good stuff! I can totally see some of that relationship going between POTUS and FLOTUS, along with his staff! As much as I can imagine that FDR, being a rich kid from NYC, why he had such a terrible cook is beyond me!

For the cook, we have only Eleanor to blame. The official line here is that she wanted the White House to be a model of socially-conscious dining, which in the Depression era meant not dining on fine foods while the masses were struggling for a square meal. Unofficially, there may also have been an element of getting back at her husband for his previous (alleged) marital infidelities. Their relationship was...complicated, to say the least! :confused:

I like this because of the feeling of incessant meetings that no doubt plague real-life leaders.

FDR's plague is our gain, as writAAR and readAARs! But yes, I don't know a single sane person that doesn't detest meetings when they themselves have to attend.

* * * * *​

As the recent update is Part 1 of 2, I would like to have the second part posted tonight or tomorrow. We shall see how real life cooperates, of course...

For the cook, we have only Eleanor to blame. The official line here is that she wanted the White House to be a model of socially-conscious dining, which in the Depression era meant not dining on fine foods while the masses were struggling for a square meal. Unofficially, there may also have been an element of getting back at her husband for his previous (alleged) marital infidelities. Their relationship was...complicated, to say the least! :confused:
Socially-concious dining is over-cooked, rubbery and makes you miserable? I had always suspected as such. :D

Chapter Two: Treasure the Time (Part 2)
Arsenal of Technology: A Hearts of Iron 3 AAR

Chapter Two: Treasure the Time (Part 2)

1300 hours ET, 6 January 1936, The White House, Washington D.C.

Roosevelt returned from lunch with a newfound appreciation for the plight of the poor and not even a minute to spare. As he rushed into the Oval Office, he made sure to slow down just long enough to suggest to Missy that it would be very much appreciated, and a noble service to her country, if she might take five minutes of her time to procure a hamburger for the President of the United States. Message delivered, he settled himself in at his desk and went about the important national business of attempting to look very busy. He had just barely managed to pick up an urgent-looking document and flip it open to someplace in the middle when the Oval Office door was opened again.

“Mr. President, Secretary Dern here to see you,” Missy announced.

scXusKL.png

As the current Secretary of War, George Dern’s focus would clearly be on procurement of military equipment. Not a bad idea in the dangerous world of 1936, but such a move could be politically disastrous in such an isolationist climate.
“Ah, yes. Thank you, Missy. Mr. Dern, please have a seat.” Roosevelt waited for a moment while Dern obliged. “I will admit, I was surprised at first to hear that you’d thrown your hat in the ring for the Treasury job, what with being strictly a lateral move for you.”

“I wasn’t going to, at first, Mr. President,” Dern began, “But I had to change my mind after coming upon some important findings. You remember – I think I told you about this before – sometime last year I had a most disturbing encounter with a fortune-teller? The one who said I would be dead within a year?”

“Yes, I remember,” Roosevelt confirmed. It had been one of those Christmas parties. “You can’t possibly mean to tell me that you actually believe that withered old hag?”

Dern nodded vigorously. “Mr. President, if we can’t trust withered old hags, who can we trust?”

Roosevelt shrugged. “I cannot devise an argument against that.” At least, he thought, not one that would persuade this particular sort of man.

“I’m glad you agree, Mr. President,” Dern continued. “Now, just a few days ago, I came across a strange man while walking through the city. Somehow, he knew that I had this trouble on my mind, and said as much. We got to talking, and he informed me that he had in his possession a miraculous compound that could almost any ailment, and would surely spare me from death!”

Roosevelt rolled his eyes. He could see where this was going. Dern, thankfully, was too engrossed in telling his story to notice, and so he continued:

“I purchased a few bottles of this concoction – and you know, Mr. President, I wouldn’t have, but this man surely knew me, this was surely no two-bit confidence man – and I can scarcely believe it, but it works! I’ve never felt better in my life! Why, Mr. President, I do declare that I could live to be a hundred, and all because of this mysterious medicine!”

“Are you certain that’s not because of the opium, Mr. Dern?”

Dern stared aghast at Roosevelt. “Mr. President, why, I never--!”

Roosevelt cut him off impatiently. “Returning to the subject, Mr. Dern, what does all of this have to do with your career aspirations, exactly?”

“Ah, of course,” Dern said, quickly regaining his composure. “Yes, in light of this life-changing experience, I am strongly convinced that we must expand the federal budget to fund the study and procurement of this miracle medication and others like it! I’ve heard some promising reports about snake oil, sea monkey powder…”

Roosevelt waved him off dismissively. “Thank you, Mr. Dern, you call me when the airplane lands lands.”

As Dern meekly left the room, Roosevelt thought to himself that perhaps the withered old hag might yet turn out to be right, after all.

1446 hours ET

Having two men be late for appointments with the President of the United States in one day was a new and not exactly amusing experience for Roosevelt. His Secretary of Commerce was quite late by now, and Roosevelt would certainly have been tapping his foot impatiently by now, if he were the sort of man who tapped his foot impatiently. Instead, he settled for returning to the FBI report he had started browsing earlier that day:

Code:
REPORT ON RADICALIST ACTIVITY IN THE STATE OF OKLAHOMA
from the desk of J. E. HOOVER

SECTION VIII. COMMUNIST ACTIVITY IN EASTERN OKLAHOMA

Field agents now report a 50% increase in Communist revolutionary activity in Tulsa, Oklahoma, as indicated in Figure--

A sudden chopping sound startled Roosevelt, who looked around frantically for its source. As the noise grew louder and louder, Roosevelt realized that the source must be from outside of the Oval Office. He quickly rolled over to the window behind his desk, looking outside just in time to see a strange, twisted hulk of metal topped with spinning blades floating down from the sky onto the White House lawn, with one Mr. Daniel Calhoun Roper seated inside of it.

AItBqqX.png

Daniel C. Roper: Commerce Secretary by day, helicopter enthusiast…also by day, apparently.
Secretary Roper swiftly dismounted from his strange contraption and strode confidently towards the Oval Office back door. Fortunately, Roosevelt had the soundness of mind to pick his jaw up off the floor before his next interviewee opened the door.

“Good afternoon, Mr. President.”

“Mr. Roper! I must say, you’ve made quite an entrance.”

“Ah, yes, I suppose I have indeed, Mr. President. Speaking of which, I really must apologize for my dreadful lateness. Igor was having some mechanical difficulties with the helicopter.”

“Is that what you call that contraption? The, what was it, the…hellish copper?” Roosevelt furrowed his brow, perplexed. “Seems strange to name such a wondrous machine after an unpleasant policeman. This Igor fellow must be quite an odd fellow, indeed.”

“Ah, no, Mr. President,” Roper raised an eyebrow slightly, betraying perhaps a hint of impatience, “the word is helicopter. Igor Sikorsky is the man who’s designed this fantastic machine – it’s really not much more than a model, honestly, only one man can fit inside of it.”

Roosevelt nodded approvingly. “Even so, Mr. Roper, it’s a thoroughly impressive piece of work for the times. I must ask, though, what is the point of all this showmanship and hubbub? I do have a front door, after all – and you know as well as I do, Ms. LeHand doesn’t take it lightly when a man sidesteps her authority.”

Roper clasped his hands eagerly. “Ah, of course, Mr. President, I was just getting to that point. You see, this new helicopter technology is in fact behind my interest in the Treasury Secretaryship!”

“Really, now? Do explain what this mad experiment – though again, quite amazing – has to do with federal budgets and revenue raising.”

“Of course, Mr. President. Oh, may I sit down?”

Roosevelt motioned to an empty chair. “Please do, Mr. Roper.”

Roper took his seat, and stretched his arms a bit before continuing. “Now, of course, Mr. President, you know that even as Secretary of Commerce, I’ve been a strong supporter of increasing our funding for aircraft development and expansion of the air corps. Now, I’ve gotten to know Ivan Sikorsky and his work quite well, and I’ve become firmly convinced that the helicopter is the next great advance in aviation. The potential to develop light combat aircraft with vertical takeoff capability would not only afford our Army tremendous tactical flexibility, but would represent a significant advance for naval aviation! Without the need for a ship-mounted catapult, even our big-gun cruisers and battleships could deploy air support, to say nothing of the increase in capacity this would afford to our fleet carriers. In my view, Mr. President, the development of helicopters must be our top research and development priority for the national defense.”

Roosevelt’s leaned forward, intrigued. “This is all well and good, Mr. Roper, and I can certainly see how such a craft could be useful to our Army boys. However, this is quite a…spurious basis on which to name a new Secretary of Treasury – can I really justify placing the entire national budget in the hands of a man whose driving interest is this helicopter – at best a promising experiment, and at worst an expensive toy?”

“This is understandable, Mr. President.” Roper reached into his jacket, nonplussed, and withdrew a folded piece of paper which he handed to Roosevelt. “As you can see from these plans, the helicopter is a matter of some urgency.”

Roosevelt unfolded the paper and looked over it. He was indeed surprised to see German plans for a helicopter of their own – which appeared to be quite a bit more refined than Sikorsky’s design! A matter of some urgency, indeed.

w9YsBMX.jpg

Pictured: drawings of the Focke-Wulf Fw 61 helicopter prototype, currently being constructed in Nazi Germany

Roosevelt looked back up to Roper. “How did you come into possession of this document?”

“I’m afraid that I’m not at liberty to discuss that right now, Mr. President.”

Roosevelt grudgingly accepted this excuse. “Well, Mr. Roper, I’ll admit that it is a small shock to see that the Germans are so far along with this technology, but they are hardly the greatest concern for our national defense.”

“That’s true, Mr. President,” Roper conceded, “But what does concern me – and should concern you gravely – is that the Germans have been making significant diplomatic inroads with the Japanese and the Italians. Both of those nations are naval powers, and Japan in particular has always been a primary concern for our national defense, as you say.” Roper leaned in and looked Roosevelt in the eyes. “Mr. President, we must as a nation be at the forefront of this new technology, or else those who may do us harm certainly will be.”

Roosevelt, though concerned at this latest revelation, remained skeptical. “It’s a promising machine, to be sure, and potentially dangerous in the wrong hands I agree – but I’ll need to see more than a playful stunt before I can really consider an investment like this. To that end, I do believe I ought to meet this Mr. Sikorsky. Where is he at?”

“About three blocks to the south, Mr. President.” Roper began to wring his hands a bit at this. “That’s, ah, about as far as it can travel, under good conditions.”

“That far, eh?” Roosevelt shook his head mournfully. “Damn it. You had me all worked up just now, Mr. Roper.”

“This is only the very beginning or the work, Mr. President.” Roper was quick to provide reassurances. “Why, Igor tells me that he can have it flying twice as far within a week!”

“Six blocks? Well, that’s just dandy!” Roosevelt’s face clearly indicated that it was anything but. “And who the Hell is the Air Corps going to go to war with within six blocks?”

Roper shrugged. “Congress, I suppose?”

Roosevelt chuckled. “Now, that’s the best idea I’ve heard all day, Mr. Roper!”

1530 hours ET

“Mr. President, Senator Robert Wagner here to see you.” Missy LeHand quickly showed the senator into the Oval Office and closed the door behind him.

A9JwRVY.png

“Senator Wagner, always a pleasure to see you,” Roosevelt greeted his political ally warmly.

“Mr. President, the pleasure is mine,” Wagner replied with great sincerity.

“Well, Senator, take a seat,” Roosevelt motioned at an empty chair, “and tell me why I should make you my next Secretary of the Treasury.”

“Most certainly, Mr. President.” Wagner confidently took his seat and launched into his presentation. “First of all, we need to tax the banks. And if that’s not good enough, we should sue ‘em too!”

“Well, I suppose that takes care of the fundraising item on the agenda,” Roosevelt concurred, “What else?”

“You will remember, of course, that I was instrumental in passing the National Industrial Recovery Act back in ’33,” Wagner stated, “And that Act was, if I may say so, a watershed moment in protection of labor and union rights – even if my proposal to outlaw the banks was rejected in committee.”

“We can’t always get what we want, I suppose,” Roosevelt answered.

“That is sad, but true, Mr. President. In any case, having assured the rights of American workers, I believe that the next major step we must take is to ensure that all of our workers have a comfortable home to return to after a hard day of labor. Therefore, as Secretary of the Treasury I would propose and spearhead an effort to drive construction of adequate housing for our working men who are lacking, ideally funded from the taxation and suing of the banks.”

“That’s certainly an idea I can get behind!” Roosevelt exclaimed. “I might even go so far as to call it the second-best idea I’ve heard all day!”

“Really, Mr. President?” Wagner was clearly disappointed by his runner-up status. “What was the best idea? Invading Canada?”

Roosevelt groaned. “What, this again? Not you too!”

“Oh, no, no, Mr. President! I meant that as a tongue-in-cheek remark, not a genuine suggestion!” Wagner was clearly flustered by the direction this meeting had taken. “Who would suggest such a thing, in seriousness?”

“You would be surprised, Senator!” Roosevelt replied bitterly. “Let us forget about this, then. In total sincerity, you evidently have a clear vision for directing the Treasury department, and I for one find this vision quite exciting. Now, if I might make a few inquiries on some of the finer points of your proposals…for starters, just how heavily were you planning to tax the banks?”

Wagner smiled. “Well, Mr. President…”

1615 hours ET

After what had been quite a stressful day, altogether, Roosevelt was glad to spend the last bit of the afternoon relaxing while discussing the potential candidates with Vice President Garner over martinis.

X4MFaWt.jpg

It’s been a long day for the President – and after all, he didn’t repeal Prohibition for nothing!

Roosevelt had just begun to summarize the day’s interviews. “Now, realistically, I think we can eliminate a few of these men right from the start. For example, Mr. Davis showed up measuring sidewalks upside down, if you get my meaning. Certainly not the kind of Cabinet appointment I’d want to make in an election year!”

“Indeed,” Garner concurred, “I wouldn’t want that man to be the face of the administration that repealed Prohibition, either.”

“Another good point, John.” Roosevelt paused to sip his martini. “On the same note, Mr. Woodring would not stop spouting his nonsense about invading Canada, so appointing him would earn me quite the rude glare from Secretary Hull in the State department. And finally, I would suggest that we give no consideration to Secretary Dern’s crackpot theories about snake oil and fortune telling. He’s better left in the War department, at least until some street-side entrepreneur tries to sell him new watches for the Army.”

“I agree about all three of those men.” Garner took a martini break of his own before perusing the list of candidates again. “What about Secretary Ickes? His emphasis on resource conservation could be a useful boon for American industry, and I find his tax incentives plan to reduce wastefulness intriguing.”

“He is a good candidate,” Roosevelt agreed, “But I’m not so sure that resource conservation is the ideal focus for our Treasury department right now, even with the obvious long-term benefits it would bring. In the short term, Ickes’ proposals could slow industrial growth and hurt job recovery, which is not the ideal situation for an election year. Besides, he tells bad jokes.”

“That’s fair enough, Mr. President.” Garner turned the page of the candidate roster. “What about Secretary Roper? From the looks of it, he has some very forward-thinking ideas about aviation and national defense that are certainly worth pursuing.”

“Oh, I can say from first-hand experience that his ideas are indeed worth pursuing!” Roosevelt exclaimed. “However, I’m not certain that the American public will take well to the appointment of a man with a military focus in an election year – even if the national defense is an important priority in this international climate.” Roosevelt paused to take another sip of his martini. “Perhaps next year, after the election is over with, we can reconsider our priorities.”

Roosevelt finished the last of his martini before continuing. “Now, Senator Wagner from New York is I think the strongest candidate at this time. It will hurt us to lose such a powerful ally in the Senate, but I think we can count on New York to elect someone reliable in his stead. Meanwhile, his housing plan and labor record will go over well with voters, I believe.”

“I like him as a candidate as well,” Garner agreed, “But I am worried about his very vocal anti-bank stance. The last thing we need to see in an election year is an uptick in fundraising for the Republicans. That kind of thing might not matter so much in a New York state election, but that could bite us quite badly in the Presidential race.”

“You’re right, dammit.” Roosevelt thought for a few moments before speaking again. “Well, John, thank you for your company and your thoughts. I shall make my decision and announce it tomorrow morning before Congress convenes for the day.”

“Certainly, Franklin. Have a good evening.”

As Garner left the Oval Office to return to his own business, Roosevelt crossed the room to the Presidental gin cabinet to mix himself another martini, to help him think through the difficult decision before him. A difficult decision, indeed…

Notes

George Dern was Roosevelt’s Secretary of War until his death in August 1936, despite having no military experience and alleged pacifist leanings – proving that sometimes, truth is indeed stranger than Paradox! He did initiate a five-year plan to improve the military’s state of readiness by modernization of equipment, so his in-game minister trait bonus to supply production is reasonably logical. He previously served as the state governor of Utah, where he was well-liked by members of both parties (running against Charles Mabey, his campaign slogan was “We want a Dern good governor, and we don’t mean Mabey”). He was not a Mormon, however, so readAARs have been spared from numerous bad jokes on that particular subject! :p

Daniel Calhoun Roper was Roosevelt’s Secretary of Commerce until 1938 in OTL, playing a major role in the New Deal rollout. Prior to this, he served in a variety of roles in the federal government, including serving under Wilson as the IRS commissioner. Later in life, he served as an ambassador, but at this point in history his résumé for the Treasury job is certainly good enough to justify him as a possible Armament Minister pick in-game. However, I have no earthly idea where his characterization as an “Air Superiority Proponent” came from, but that is what the game has given us and so we will roll with it.

While the Sikorsky prototype in this narrative is a work of pure fiction (Sikorsky didn’t build a working full-size helicopter until 1939 in OTL), the Fw 61 was indeed under development throughout 1936 and was the first practical example of a helicopter to achieve free flight – although history enthusiasts should note the word “practical”, as there are plenty of earlier examples of the concept throughout the early 1900s!

Robert F. Wagner was a U.S. senator from New York from 1926 until his resignation for health reasons in 1949. He was well-known as an ardent supporter of labor rights and as an expert on banking and finance regulations. He first met Roosevelt while both served in the New York state legislature, and was a member of the President’s “Brain Trust” of close advisors. His proposal in the narrative about worker housing is a parallel with his eponymous Wagner-Steagall Housing Act of 1937 in OTL. His in-game designation as a “Laissez-Faire Capitalist” is perhaps not entirely accurate, but given his close involvement with finance and labor law, not the worst minister trait he could possess either.

John Nance Garner was Roosevelt’s vice president from his first election in 1932 through his second term, before being replaced on the 1940 ticket over political and personal differences. We shall have more to say about him as this AAR goes on and he, perhaps, becomes more involved. Suffice to say for now, his relationship with the President is not all roses and martinis! :eek:

* * * * *​

Roosevelt surely has a difficult decision ahead of him, as any of the top three candidates can certainly benefit the United States – both narratively and in-game! Harold Ickes’ resource focus would help the nation build up its stockpiles while having extra materials for trading with the rest of the world – Britain and France in particular may appreciate the help to keep their factories running! Meanwhile, Daniel Roper’s focus on light aircraft design and production could be a boost not only for the development of these strange “helicopter” machines, but for other sorts of advanced aeronautical designs that any self-respecting Arsenal of Technology ought to have. Finally, Robert Wagner’s focus on bettering the living conditions of American workers can help reduce the need to produce consumer goods to keep the population happy, allowing more factories to be repurposed for building more industry, infrastructure, or possibly even military equipment depending on the needs of the United States, and what its Congress will provide a budget for!

The next update will feature the result of the President’s martini-fueled deliberations, after which his chosen man faces the Senate confirmation process and any related political drama. If all goes well, with his cabinet finally in place Roosevelt is likely to demand a meeting of his whole Cabinet in order to get an up-to-date picture of the overall state of the United States – updates about production, research, espionage, and all things necessary for effective governing!

On a side note, I do want to apologize for the delay in this update, as I'm aiming for a once-weekly update schedule, but sometime IRL gets busier than we'd like and that certainly has been the case. Tentatively, I'll shoot to have the next update up at some time this weekend, but I make no promises!

more resources ... nah, better light aircraft ... nah go for the socialist 2.5% better production must be the way forward.

I was chuckling virtually the entire time.

I am guaranteeing that these conversations are not at all that far fetched from what I'm sure the reality is/was back then!

At least Canada will be safe! We hope. The approach you take to research and production will be interesting to watch - I haven’t played the US in a game yet and haven’t read a US AAR, so it’s all a bit new to me.

more resources ... nah, better light aircraft ... nah go for the socialist 2.5% better production must be the way forward.

No spoilers, but I will admit that while I know exactly who I want from a gameplay perspective, I'm sorely tempted to choose someone else for narrative reasons...fortunately for the gameplay part of this AAR, there are other ways to keep the best characters around for narrative purposes.

I was chuckling virtually the entire time.

I'm glad to hear that, and happy to amuse you! :D

I am guaranteeing that these conversations are not at all that far fetched from what I'm sure the reality is/was back then!

Perhaps even closer than we think, since War Plan Crimson was an honest-to-goodness plan for an invasion of Canada which, among other things, called for construction of secret air bases near the Canadian border - which seem to actually have been built or at least funded for in 1935! Clearly, Mr. Woodring at least knew what he was talking about! :eek:

At least Canada will be safe! We hope. The approach you take to research and production will be interesting to watch - I haven’t played the US in a game yet and haven’t read a US AAR, so it’s all a bit new to me.

Canada will be safe as long as they continue to trade us delicious maple syrup. Woodring and his ilk aren't crazy warmongers, per se, they just really like maple syrup and want to guarantee our supply! :p

This is fun! Who doesn't love some secret technology and mad and drunk politicians? But will you out-tech those pesky Germans where Helicopters and Jet-fighters are concerned?
Might I suggest constantly bombing Peenemunde, just to make sure you win the race...

Has the President just considered just appointing no-one? Or a passing tramp? It's not like he's going to pay attention to any of his cabinet, he barely paid any attention to the Supreme Court, so does it really matter which of that parade of idiots gets the job?

This is fun! Who doesn't love some secret technology and mad and drunk politicians? But will you out-tech those pesky Germans where Helicopters and Jet-fighters are concerned?
Might I suggest constantly bombing Peenemunde, just to make sure you win the race...

There's an interesting excuse to try and convince the notoriously isolationist American public to support a war..."We need to bomb Germany before they discover how to build fancy aircraft!"

"Exactly what kind of fancy aircraft, Mr. President?"

"Erm, ah, we don't know yet, they haven't been discovered!" :p

Has the President just considered just appointing no-one? Or a passing tramp? It's not like he's going to pay attention to any of his cabinet, he barely paid any attention to the Supreme Court, so does it really matter which of that parade of idiots gets the job?

Funny enough, HPP allows you to do just that:
Z26vnU2.png

However, this poses another problem, as it turns out that No-One is in fact a *gasp* Republican!! We can't have one of those mucking up our government...

In seriousness, HPP provides these ministers to ensure that cabinet posts can still be filled if a party comes into power for which few or no leaders exist, which is mostly semantic but does have one or two fringe uses, including making sure that a couple of minister positions provide certain bonuses relevant to the mod's features such as the Educational System Decay you see here.

This promises to be a very interesting AAR, so I would be remiss to not follow and make stupid jokes about invading Canada! I'm not sure how I feel about the fact that Odysseus was a Republican, however...

Surt does seem to have the right of it, as un-american as "choosing the socialist" sounds, it seems to be the best option. Resources should be aplenty, so freeing up some industrial capacity to the whims of congress ought to prove the best course of action.

This promises to be a very interesting AAR, so I would be remiss to not follow and make stupid jokes about invading Canada! I'm not sure how I feel about the fact that Odysseus was a Republican, however...

Surt does seem to have the right of it, as un-american as "choosing the socialist" sounds, it seems to be the best option. Resources should be aplenty, so freeing up some industrial capacity to the whims of congress ought to prove the best course of action.

Welcome, and by all means break out your finest Canada jokes, as I have noticed an abominable lack of such in the other AARs populating this board!

Even by modern American standards, FDR's agenda was quite socialist what with all that "big government" and spending money on domestic welfare. So perhaps "choosing the socialist" is not so out of character for him, at least? Not to worry, of course, sooner or later we'll return to the good ol' American tradition of building up a large arsenal of big guns and using them to invade places! :p

...probably later, at this pace. :confused:

Been following. Especially like the USA & HPP combo.

Btw, careful with Martini's - too many olives = hangover.:)

Always good to have you around to make your markkur on the comments section!

It may be difficult for FDR to avoid hangovers, given the various idiosyncrasies of the staff he has to work with every day - but, we shall see how well he handles things, for there is another update in the pipeline as we type!

Chapter Three: Of Battleships and Baseball Bats (Part 1)
Arsenal of Technology: A Hearts of Iron 3 AAR

Chapter Three: Of Battleships and Baseball Bats (Part 1)

1200 hours ET, 7 January 1936, United States Senate Chamber, Washington D.C.

fn2scta.png

Pictured: (left) The US Senate Chambers; (right) portrait of Senator Robert F. Wagner, nominee for Secretary of Treasury.

“Senator Van Nuys, will the Senator advise and consent to the nomination of Robert Ferdinand Wagner to the position of Secretary of Treasury?” asked Senate Secretary Halsey.

“Aye,” replied the senator in question.

Halsey noted the vote. “Senator Vandenberg, will the Senator advise and consent to the nomination?”

“Aye.”

Halsey noted the vote, then saw the next name on his list and groaned inwardly. “Senator Wagner…will the Senator advise and consent to—”

“I abstain from the vote!” Senator Robert F. Wagner rose from his seat, preparing to burst out into one of his trademark rants.

“Senator, please,” Halsey tried to calm his colleague down, “This is your own nomination, why would you abstain from the vote? You are allowed to vote for yourself, of course.”

“I am abstaining in protest!” Wagner declared with vigor.

“Protesting what, Senator? Yourself?” Now there was a protest Halsey could get behind.

Banks, Mr. Secretary. Banks‼

Halsey sighed, resting his chin in his hand. This vote was going to take a while…

1m5xnFu.jpg

Senator Wagner, seen here settling in for a pleasant afternoon of railing against the oligarchy.

1830 hours ET, the Oval Office

Roosevelt handed his newest cabinet member one of his trademark martinis. “Congratulations, Robert, you’ve survived the nomination process.”

“Against your best efforts!” John Garner scoffed from behind his own cocktail.

Roosevelt shot his Vice President a stern glare before turning back to Wagner. “Welcome to the Cabinet, my friend.”

“You have to understand, gentlemen, I was only doing what was necessary this afternoon.” Wagner gladly accepted the drink from Roosevelt before continuing, “As the new Secretary of the Treasury, after all, it is of the utmost importance that the banks know where they stand with this administration.”

“And indeed, they do!” Roosevelt chuckled. “And now, Mr. Wagner, I hate to do this already, but I must give you a homework assignment.”

“Why, Mr. President! I would never have taken you for a schoolmarm…your wife, perhaps, but not you!”

Roosevelt pushed his reading glasses down on his nose and glared at Wagner, doing his best to appear stern while his colleagues laughed at his impression. Smiling, he continued, “Oh, it’s nothing so horrible as arithmetic. Quite simply, we shall have a meeting of the whole Cabinet tomorrow morning, and as this will be your first meeting as Secretary of Treasury, I’ll need you to prepare a report on where all of our government funding is going at the present.”

“Of course, Mr. President, you can count on me!” Wagner replied eagerly.

“I look forward to your report,” Roosevelt said, “Since Henry left, I’ve had no idea where our money is going. I don’t know whether we’re paying for battleships or baseball bats!”

“I’ll make sure to clear that up for you, Mr. President.”

0800 hours ET, 8 January 1936, the “Fish Room”

Roosevelt surveyed the room, mentally counting to be sure that the most important members of his Cabinet were all present before the meeting began.

jNgV7iI.png

Pictured: A partial listing of Roosevelt’s Cabinet as of January 1936, highlighting the most influential policymakers among the ranks. Note that while the United States did not have an official military joint chief of staff until several years later, General Malin Craig often speaks for the collective joint chiefs in Cabinet meetings and holds an equivalent level of influence.

“Gentlemen, let us begin today’s meeting.” Roosevelt was all business this morning. “This being our first meeting of the new year, I would like our primary focus to be hearing reports from the most prominent department heads, to provide an overall idea of where our Nation stands today. First, I want to hear from Secretary Hull about the state of diplomatic relations with the rest of the world. Cordell?”

Secretary Cordell Hull stood up with a flourish. “Ladies and gentlemen! Boys and girls! My fellow soldiers for Democracy! My Comrades-in-Arms! My—”

“Comrades?!” J. Edgar Hoover bellowed from across the table. Slamming his fists on the table, he began ranting, “I knew it! You’re one of them no-good dirty Commies! Why, I oughta--”

“Calm down, Mr. Hoover,” Roosevelt interjected, “It was only a figure of speech.”

Hoover sullenly settled back into his chair. “You keep thinking that…” he muttered to himself.

Roosevelt gestured towards Hull. “Please continue, sir.”

Hull had taken advantage of the distraction to pull out a stack of papers and was distributing them around the table to the other Cabinet members. “Verily and indeed, O glorious Fearless Leader of the free world!” Hull swooped up his copy of the document and made a great show of flipping through the pages with loud crackling noises. “If all of ye right honorable specimens of the male species (and Mr. Hoover as well) will kindly direct your enlightened eyes to page…uh, seven, of the wondrous and elucidating tome you have before you!”

There followed a brief, polite silence as the men gathered at the table turned to the indicated page, followed by a longer, rather awkward silence as Hoover made a show of nonchalantly turning the pages slowly, one at a time, pretending to peruse each one while nodding and mumbling “yes, yes” to himself.

bzp7YEH.png

Excerpts from Secretary Hull’s report to the Cabinet. Left: an overview of United States diplomatic relations with the important parts of the world (page 7). Right: a copy of a diplomatic telegram from the Ma clique regarding the mobilization of their army reserves (page 11).

“You will see that our beloved bastion of democracy alone holds the grave and sacred responsibility to nurture the hospitable hemisphere we call home.” Hull raised his eyes to the ceiling and struck a noble pose. “Therefore, my brothers, we have issued forth a decree of unparalleled benevolence, and have steadfastly declared our gallant intentions to the vagrant life-leechers of Ye Olde Europe. By the immortal terms of this pact most sacrosanct, we pledge in the name of God and Nation to defend with patriot blood and glorious battle the states of this hemisphere from the deleterious intentions of whichever colonialist delinquents in Europe would desecrate our doorstep with their ill-intentioned revanchism!”

“We know, we know! You gave the exact same speech last year, you foppish flukey!” Hoover retorted “At least buy a new dictionary or something, for crying out loud!”

“Yes, well, you…” Hull finally was at a loss for words, and slumped defeated into his chair. Hoover grinned triumphantly.

Roosevelt, apparently oblivious to the drama besetting his Cabinet, had meanwhile begun to peruse the rest of the document. “Mr. Secretary, what’s this item I see on page eleven?”

Hull turned to the page in question. “Eh, some Chinese warlord is conscripting the oppressed peasantry,” he replied languidly, “who cares? What else is new?”

“Whatever for? Who are they fighting against?” Roosevelt inquired. Hull just shrugged morosely in response.

“Ah, Mr. President, I believe I can answer that,” William Friedman piped up from across the table. “The Ma Clique is allied with the Chinese Kuomintang government in a war against the Chinese Communists, according to the latest signals intelligence from that region.”

“Fighting Commies, eh?” Hoover nodded approvingly, “Now these guys I like.”

* * * * *​

After several more minutes of Hull responding to further questions with shrugs and occasional one-liners about the futility of human existence, the Cabinet turned to its newest member for an update on what exactly the federal budget was being used for these days. Helpfully, Wagner had made use of Hull’s woeful excuse for a Q&A session to tape a pair of large posters to the side of the fish tank.

“If I may have your attention, gentlemen, I’d like to direct your attention to this helpful graphic which shows the various production initiatives currently subsidized by the federal budget,” Wagner began.

vYIQXVr.png

Distribution of United States government spending on production for economic relief and military development. The units presented here are unfamiliar to modern historians, but a practical consensus value of 10 IC ≈ $1 million USD per day is the most commonly-used estimate.

“The top half of this inset indicates the current spending per day to maintain our active-duty armed forces,” Wagner said while point to a chart with many important-looking lines and numbers. “While there is not currently any funding for upgrades to our military equipment, we are still spending just under $600,000 per day to maintain a state of military readiness. The majority of these expenses are simply the purchase and delivery of supplies and munitions to divisional bases throughout the country.”

Army Chief Malin Craig interjected here. “Mr. President, I would like to at this time formally lodge a complaint against the Office of the Treasury, as the combined service branches have requested a modest allocation of $3.6 million per day, and have been given not quite a sixth of that. We cannot maintain an effective military defense in the face of such blatant favoritism!” Murmurs of assent arose from the Chiefs of the navy and air corps.

“General Craig, this is neither the time nor the place,” Roosevelt answered, “And since all indications are that our forces are currently in an acceptable state, I do believe it is more critical to focus on national relief. Secretary Wagner, how do things look on that front?”

“Thank you, Mr. President.” Wagner was grateful that he would not have to engage in a shouting match with military bigwigs on his first day on the job. “In the lower half of the inset, you will see that we are spending a total of $16.1 million per day to fund industrial recovery. Our esteemed Chief of the Navy will be pleased to know that some $3.6 million of this daily amount is in the form of amortized purchase orders for the construction of new warships in accordance with the Vinson-Trammell Act. The remainder of this spending is in the form of economic subsidization, split approximately equally between the construction of new industrial centers and the production of consumer goods to ensure a high standard of living for all Americans. The greatest impact of these subsidies, of course, is to undercut the banks that factory owners have traditionally relied on for funding, therefore weakening the grip those evil institutions have on our society.” Wagner clenched his fists as he made the latter conjecture.

“Mr. Wagner, that is not the purpose of our subsidization program,” Roosevelt quickly corrected him, “Although it would not be a bad side effect.”

“I dunno, Mr. President,” Hoover piped up again, “Taking down the banks? Sounds awfully like Commie talk to me…”

“Well, freedom from banks sounds awfully like American talk to me!” Wagner replied indignantly.

Roosevelt quickly stepped in before things got out of hand. “Now, gentlemen, let’s leave the pointless shouting to those who do it best, by which I mean Congress of course.” This comment was well-received and succeeded in relieving the tension for the time being.

Wagner continued on, moving to the second graphic taped to the fish tank. “Now, here you will see the counterpart to the previous graphic, which shows the distribution of funding for various intellectual activities relevant to our Nation. We currently invest a total of $2.3 million per day in these areas. The majority of this money currently is being used to train espionage agents, primarily in response to our new military ‘observer’ programs. An additional $800,000 per day is being directed towards various research projects. Most of these are intended to improve our military equipment, but $100,000 per day is being invested to improve industrial production techniques to accelerate our recovery efforts. In addition to this, we are spending $200,000 per day to train officers in all branches to ensure that our forces have a strong grasp of the best tactics and strategies. Finally, a daily expenditure of $20,000 is earmarked here to pay for the salaries and training of our diplomatic corps”

l0HAVeh.png

At left: distribution of United States government spending on research and training activities. Historians have conventionally estimated that one “leadership point” (LP) ≈ $100,000 per day. At right: estimates of American research mastery and production efficiency for relevant military applications.

Wagner paused for questions, and Hoover immediately piped up. “What’s all that math-nerd junk on the right side? Looks like a bunch of Commie ‘numbers’ nonsense to me!”

“These are indeed numbers, Director, but there’s nothing Communist about them.” Wagner was quick to block that line of thought. “In fact, these charts indicate the estimated capability of our Nation to support military buildup and mobilization, if and when it is called for, through research and production efforts. What you can see here is that in most areas, our intellectual capacity to make technological breakthroughs is quite strong in most areas, aside from a somewhat lacking understanding of mobile and armored warfare and a quite abominable lack of good army doctrine.”

General Craig’s neck turned a particularly embarrassed shade of red here.

“Now on the other hand, our production efficiency lags behind quite significantly,” Wagner continued, “with the broad exception of aircraft and factory construction. It seems that factory overseers have been generally slow to learn from their production experience – probably because they’ve become too complacent in their jobs due to the cushy funding from the banks!

“Again with this Commie ranting about banks?!” Hoover roared.

“Maybe the banks would be doing a better job of funding the Army!” Craig joined in.

“Gentlemen, please!” Roosevelt was eager to avoid a fight. “Why don’t we all take a five-minute break, and I’ll have Marguerite bring us in some coffee? I think we could all use a breather.”

* * * * *​

Notes

The “Fish Room” is better known today as the Roosevelt Room, as made famous in the West Wing television series. Of course, it was not named after the Roosevelts in this time frame as one of them was the sitting president, but FDR’s investment in enlarging and redecorating the room did contribute to its eventual naming. In this time frame, the room earned its name from FDR’s choice of décor, which included several large mounted fish on the walls as well as an aquarium. One can imagine that it would have been an interesting place to hold a high-level government meeting. Unfortunately, the photographic record of this room seems to be somewhat lacking, at least in terms of accessibility and findability. :(

Cordell Hull was Roosevelt’s Secretary of State from 1933-1944, and previously represented Tennessee in both the U.S. House of Representatives and the Senate (not at the same time, of course). He was certainly well-respected, and was the key force behind the establishment of the United Nations towards the end of the OTL war – which resulted in him receiving the 1945 Nobel Peace Prize. I anticipate him having a similarly long career in this timeline, simply because Foreign Ministers in HPP are approximately as useless as they are in vanilla HoI3, which is to say that FDR probably doesn’t want to deal with the headache of interviewing replacements for another Cabinet post!

HPP Note: HPP adds a fair number of guarantees at the start of the game which serve to indicate spheres of influence. These are actually quite effective as a jury-rigged solution, since naturally once a nation guarantees the independence of another, they are the only nation that could annex the other without immediate consequences. It also adds potential for some interesting conflicts; for example, I believe that both Italy and Germany have guarantees on Austria and Yugoslavia, so a non-Axis Italy can be drawn into conflict with Germany over either of those territories if she tries to expand in that direction. Anyhow, the USA guarantees on most of the Americas are essentially implementing the Monroe Doctrine (I can’t recall if these guarantees are present in vanilla HoI3, however), preventing European powers from trying to expand into the Americas uninhibited.

* * * * *​

Despite my best efforts, this chapter will again be broken into two parts. It turns out that writing theatrical speeches and arguments between ill-tempered agency heads tends to make these “state of the nation” updates go on somewhat longer than one might otherwise anticipate! :confused:

Last edited:
So 167 IC/day <=> 16.7 billion/year kewl
That makes 1 IC/day <=> 100 million/year
(making the slight rounding error of 333.3 day/year)
1 IC/day = 0.3 million/day
But then we also need to pay the scientists and other public employees so the estimate of 10IC/day is 1 million/day is not that far off :)

Very nice work! Hoover seems to be on a roll, perhaps "choosing the socialist" as we put it didn't go down too well for him? :p

More infantry hitting power in the research, nice, nice, that should be helpful in invading Canada, especially the AT weapons in case they have assault moose. Although I don't see the benefit in the ships, since the Army can just walk across the border, but I reckon they will look very nice which is enough for me. Hey, has invading Mexico been considered yet?