• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HOI4 Dev Diary - Stability and War Support

Hello everyone! Today we are going to be talking about National Unity, or rather the fact that it no longer exists…

National Unity
National Unity first made its appearance in Hearts of Iron III, basically as a mechanic to make France surrender at an appropriate time (when Paris fell essentially). It was largely moved over to HOI4 unchanged. While it does accomplish what we wanted it's also a very restrictive currency to work with design wise. A player who is winning doesn't really care what their NU is, making a lot of focus choices meaningless in those instances (or almost, there is always that time your country gets blanketed in nukes and someone dropping paras on one of your big cities seals the deal in multiplayer). We wanted to model different nations better and make sure we could do more interesting focuses and events where picking a loss of NU wasn't always the better choice compared to giving up, say, political power. So what's the answer?

Stability and War Support
These are two new values shown in the topbar that replace National Unity. Stability models the people's unity and support for the current government. War Support on the other hand represent the people’s support of war and of fully committing to fighting that war. As an example Britain in 1936 would be a pretty stable nation, but with very low war support. A nation like France would be much more unstable and with equally low war support, while Japan would have high war support and also high stability (mostly due to the emperor’s influence).

Stability average is 50% and nations with higher stability than that gain bonuses to industry, political power and consumer goods. Once you drop below 50% there are penalties instead as well as lowering your surrender limit (although nothing as extreme as how NU affected things). Strong party support helps increase stability, but being in a war - no matter how well supported - is going to lower your stability. Stability also works to protect against coups against your nation as well.

War Support has several passive effects and also limits several of the laws. You can’t switch to full War Economy without enough war support for example.

Note that in the picture below France is getting +30% war support because they have been attacked by Germany. An offensive war on the other hand for Germany actually hurts their war support. This comes with some interesting balancing effects:
  • Democracies challenging Germany early over Rhineland etc would put themselves as attackers, forcing them to fight hindered by the war support penalty.
  • Fascist or aggressive nations will generally have more initial war support but are likely to be surpassed by democracies in a defensive war when it comes to war support.
  • Defensive nations will be able to ramp up army sizes faster due to mobilization speed while attackers need to play a bit more carefully. The return of “national pride” from HOI3 in the form of combat bonuses on core territory will help here too.
Speaking of mobilization speed, you no longer get a chunk of manpower instantly when enacting conscription laws or other changes to recruitable manpower. Instead how quickly the manpower is made available by the law change is controlled by your mobilization speed. The higher the war support the faster new manpower trickles in.
pasted image 3.png

The air war also affects things as successful enemy bombing (or nuking) will lower War Support. Shooting down enemy bombers will offset this somewhat, as people are seeing you fight back against the enemy.

Here is an example on what can happen in a nation with low war support and low stability in a war. The severity of these particular options depends on exactly how low your stability/war support are. Here it's pretty bad.
pasted image 2.png

For Germany a good way of raising war support is to pull off its diplomatic expansions without being opposed:
pasted image 1.png

War support is also affected by how your allies manage. If a major ally surrenders it will lower your war support, so make sure to keep your friends in the war. On the flip side successfully capitulating major enemies increases your war support.

There are also some new ways to affect War Support and Stability outside events, ministers and national focuses that we aren't ready to show off yet ;)

See you again next week!

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Nothing is set in stone, but it is probably set in burnt clay. The system sort of works for most countries, even if the flavor names don't always match (Matilda...Matilda!), so it is not really a priority right now. Personally I would love to put in more of a national flavor to tech trees (like the British doctrine of infantry and cruiser tanks), but it is a balancing nightmare and a bang-for-buck issue (takes a lot of time to do well, probably not something people will pay enough money for)
Well, at least making the armored tree work as such for planes (with full one-year setups) could already improve it at reasonable cost of time and work.

And as for national flavor... Why not to use designer companies? As I remember, you have already added some "nation-unique" designers in DoD, why not to add such practice for majors to have different nation-specific choices? So that german companies will have mostly unique effects, same for soviet, british and etc.

Any words what will be in next dev diary @podcat ? ;)

Not sure which of the next two things I want to talk about will get done first so didnt want to jinx it. Its gonna be one of them anyways ;3

Surrender? Do you mean capitulate or is there some info you are keeping from us?
yeah sorry about being confusing I meant capitulate.

Now that the NU is gone, what causes countries to surrender? %0 war support?
the system works as if you had 80% NU from before which was a pretty good sweetspot for behaviour. Some nations (like france) are affected by Disjointed Government and has a lower value, also if you drops too low that also lowers things. But we are talking down to 50% or so in NU terms, not anything like 0% which was just wierd.

Changing national unity to two values is cool and all, but when are we are going to see major changes you have planned for the next expansion? A major over haul of ahistorical mode, like King of the Hill mode where everyone (and the AI) plots world domination, or a random mode where countries have random manpower/industry, could be cool also. New laws, new historical events for historical mode, new ways/stronger ways of dealing with max forts, would increase replayability.
Something like that is actually soemthing I have been thinking about. Sometimes you just want a FFA or balanced MP. its not a priority right now tho, and not sure how many would want it.

He is on another secret project right now, but we have filled his shoes with another awesome artist.

To speak in the words of my boss: Make it compile first, then worry about the rest.
With Respect, HOI4 on release was everything but that. Game Mechanics, and Game balance was totally half-assed, and a dumbed down version of it's predecessor. More than 1 year later, they still didn't fix the AI doing all sorts of dumb things (attacking well fortified enemy positions, fighting losing battles to the end, researching completely unnecessary things, ignoring useful things to research, doesn't attack holes or weak points in the front line, etc) when mods have already done that. In it's current state, it is what should have been at game launch in my opinion.

- All resources must have an extraction building (such as the steel mills in BICE).
Maybe not all of them (well the ressource output of a province could be increased by the infrastructure though), but at least steel mills should be a thing.
But they should not run on vacuum as seen in the mods. Every steel mill should require iron ore and coal to run.
So should the civil factories (but steel instead of ore).
I would be happy with steel mills as the only new building and iron and coal as new ressources.
Steel production was a big thing at that time.
Well I also would really like to see railways as a quick way to improve the strategical movement speed and the supply lines. While infrastructure would do the same but also increase the building speed and for highly populated areas it should have an effect on the stability of the country. Bad infrastructure makes people unhappy with their government.
Also railways could be much more lethal to strategic bombing.
@podcat , you mentioned something about a way to increase the ressource production. Is there a possibility to see new buildings (e.g. steel mill and rail ways) and new ressources (e.g. coal and iron ore) in the future?
Ideally they should interact with the stabilty value, as I mentioned for the e.g. infrastructure, but also consumer good "coverage" should have an effect (high war support could reduce the effect of missing consumer goods)

Nothing is set in stone, but it is probably set in burnt clay. The system sort of works for most countries, even if the flavor names don't always match (Matilda...Matilda!), so it is not really a priority right now. Personally I would love to put in more of a national flavor to tech trees (like the British doctrine of infantry and cruiser tanks), but it is a balancing nightmare and a bang-for-buck issue (takes a lot of time to do well, probably not something people will pay enough money for)
To be honest the system is fine for what it is, and because of how abstracted most things in HoI are (when you're talking about thousands of tanks, the exact stats of a specific type of tank are not that important) I don't really see an issue.

The only thing that annoys me is, as you point out, the Matilda II, which should be a heavy tank.

Good change, this patch is looking very promising so far.

Feel free to steal more of the good features from Kaiserreich wihle you're at it.
I mean, to be fair, all Cornflakes stability and Kaiserreich stability have in common is a name, and given that Cornflakes stability doesn't sound like it'll let every nation and Roman von Ungern-Sternberg's grandmother hit 0% consumer goods demand, the Cornflakes version sounds better thought out.

Edit: oh, and it probably also won't lock itself to neutral for nations that come into existence after the game starts.

To be honest the system is fine for what it is, and because of how abstracted most things in HoI are (when you're talking about thousands of tanks, the exact stats of a specific type of tank are not that important) I don't really see an issue.

The only thing that annoys me is, as you point out, the Matilda II, which should be a heavy tank.
Well, I'm thinking about trying to make something with all this on my own. I got some good sources of similar art-style tank pictures in my hands for most of majors and some unclear ideas for nation-unique additions like swimming tanks, mobilization tanks and etc.
Also research of other mods code should help a bit.

Any feature to invest in propaganda to raise war support?

Key victories at key locations should help raise stability as well.
yes. we got some propaganda ministers, but there are other ways. I cant show that yet though as its not done :3

With Respect, HOI4 on release was everything but that. Game Mechanics, and Game balance was totally half-assed, and a dumbed down version of it's predecessor. More than 1 year later, they still didn't fix the AI doing all sorts of dumb things (attacking well fortified enemy positions, fighting losing battles to the end, researching completely unnecessary things, ignoring useful things to research, doesn't attack holes or weak points in the front line, etc) when mods have already done that. In it's current state, it is what should have been at game launch in my opinion.
You are missing out on the intent of the statement. As far as I can tell, the intent is to quite literally make it work first and worry about fancy and even functional later. Of course, this is only valid for games or protoypes. There is no Paradox Gamers, Inc. which pays Pdox 2,3m€ and then performs an UAT.

He is on another secret project right now, but we have filled his shoes with another awesome artist.

Why when anybody from Paradox mentioned phrase "secret project" I am instantly thinking about Victoria 3?

I would like to see how Great Purge would be reworked to affect stability and war support. As well as Collectivism focus, which was goddamn useless compared to positive heroism and only provided some NU.

the system works as if you had 80% NU from before which was a pretty good sweetspot for behaviour. Some nations (like france) are affected by Disjointed Government and has a lower value, also if you drops too low that also lowers things. But we are talking down to 50% or so in NU terms, not anything like 0% which was just wierd.
What about SOV? 80% for them would be a lot, currently only achievable with a combination of NF and ministers.

What will nukes do? Will they be more/less worthwhile versus Japan?

Will the gradual manpower change fix the exploit of going for a high recruitment law to fill the pool and then switching back down to dodge the penalties?