• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 12th of September 2017

Welcome all to another fine Tuesday and its accompanying EU4 Dev Diary. In last week's diary we mentioned that we would take a look at changes to Islam in the upcoming expansion which will be released alongside update 1.23. As we have made clear, we're giving a lot of love to the Muslim world in 1.23 and as such let's look at changes we've made to Islam and Piety.

We'll start with looking at the Piety bar. As a mechanic, it has remained fairly untouched for EU4's existence. Few would doubt that the Piety bonuses are strong, but they can't be called the most engaging of the game's content. In 1.23, we've visually spruced up the Piety bar, introducing terms for both ends of the spectrum, with low Piety being called Mysticism and high piety being depicted as devotion towards Legalism. Additionally, Piety events have been rewritten to reflect different the types of piety (Mystic vs Legalistic) rather than trying to measure "how pious" a ruler was. We have also taken this opportunity to weed out some of the older events that were not up to our current standards, with book burning no longer being a Pious action.

piety bar.jpg

Additionally, for expansion owners your passive Piety bonus can be passed up in favour of one-off effects depending on your Pious leanings. At -75 piety or lower, you can call on Religious Followers to bolster your manpower, gaining 2 years' of manpower growth. At 75 or greater Piety, you are able to Enforce Faithful Adherence for an immediate loss of 2 corruption. These actions will push your piety back towards the centre by 50, so consider carefully if the one-time action is worth foregoing the Pious effect you have built up.

Additionally, each Islamic nation will follow one Muslim School of Law. The School that your nation adheres to is predetermined and cannot be changed, or for new nations/converts, chosen at your spawning/conversion. Each School grants its own bonus and has a relationship with each other school, ranging between Respect, Ambivalent and Hate. While Ambivalence grants no particular effect, nations from Schools with a mutual respect or hatered will find relations and diplomatic acceptance strengthened or shakier respectively. The relationships between schools are harmed by large scale and prolonged wars between larger nations of those schools, and conversely can be improved by longstanding, trusting alliances between them.

schools.jpg

Schools and their bonuses are as follows:

religious_schools = {
#Sunnis
hanafi_school = {
technology_cost = -0.05
}
hanbali_school = {
ae_impact = -0.1
}
maliki_school = {
development_cost = -0.1
}
shafii_school = {
merchants = 1
}
#Shias
ismaili_school = {
horde_unity = 1
legitimacy = 1
republican_tradition = 0.5
devotion = 1
}
jafari_school = {
shock_damage = 0.1
}
zaidi_school = {
shock_damage_received = -0.1
}
}

relations degrade.jpg

So while your own School is set in stone, we allow Islamic nations to Invite Scholars from other Schools. Assuming an alliance and high relations with another nation, you will be able to spend 50 Admin points to invite a Scholar who will give you an extra effect in addition to your own School's for 20 years.

invite scholar.jpg

Inviting a scholar from an opposing faith's School (Such as a Sunni nation trying to invite a Zaidi Scholar) will require low piety, although the Ibadis are exempt from this.

Additionally, as I like to do, let's have a look at Another region of the world and how trade goods have changed. In fact, let's just grab all of western/Central Europe!

W europe trade goods .jpg

With Piety and Muslim Schools covered today, we shall spend the next week sheepishly looking at two nations in particular who had a profound effect on the Middle East in the 15th Century.

Any way to represent the Islamic denial of greek philosophy and Western technolog?
I don't know if you're sneakingly trying to provoke a dispute here but one thing I understand is you're good at concealing things. Here's an example of how muslims denied greek philosophy and technology:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Wisdom
Muslims back then were not behind western tech to follow it up. Besides, they made a consistent endeavour for science when nobody else did.

There was a death penalty for owning a printing press in the Ottoman Empire in the 1550s.
Care to inform us of this discovery by giving sources maybe?

Observatories were also torn down in the centuries after the Islamic Golden Age. Maybe it can be addressed by a slow institution spread.
Just a few weeks after dev diary about Ulugh Beg. Anyway, you're referring to Takiyuddin's observatory I presume. Takiyuddin's observatory wasn't demolished because it was an observatory. I can tell behind the scenes for those graciously fond of history. Palace politics was one of the reasons for example...

The opposition mysticism vs legalism is wrong too. Imam Malik (r) said,

Or, as the Ottoman historian Mustafa Naima (d. 1716) wrote in his famous history of the seventeenth century when introducing the Kadızadeli movement, "Let it be known that the conflict and violence between those who set out on the path of Sufism and the most outspoken Ulama is quite old."

You're right that there was not always, or even usually, an outright conflict between Sufism and legalistic Islam, indeed many of the foremost members of the Ulama were often Sufis themselves. However, these did represent two different ways of practicing the religion, and their mutual antagonism sparked debate and sometimes violence many times during the period covered by this game. Not everyone was tolerant of one another's practices, and not everyone's practices were mutually compatible.

Last edited:
I don't know if you're sneakingly trying to provoke a dispute here but one thing I understand is you're good at concealing things. Here's an example of how muslims denied greek philosophy and technology:
Muslims back then were not behind western tech to follow it up. Besides, they made a consistent endeavour for science when nobody else did.

Care to inform us of this discovery by giving sources maybe?

Just a few weeks after dev diary about Ulugh Beg. Anyway, you're referring to Takiyuddin's observatory I presume. Takiyuddin's observatory wasn't demolished because it was an observatory. I can tell behind the scenes for those graciously fond of history. Palace politics was one of the reasons for example...

Even-though i am muslim, i have never really understood the discussion about Islamic golden age. People always turn it into black and white. Either muslims were the most evil savages of the medieval times and ''stole'' the Greek books and added nothing to it, or they were the tolerant and pro science and ''invented'' algebra and the Arabic numerals .

Yazidi and Druze are different religions altogether, so they shouldn't be added to Islam for sure ;)

The Zikri branch of mysticism also goes beyond anything represented in the game, since as far as I'm aware they weren't much of a political influence (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahdavia#Zikri_Mahdavis)

Problem is that Yazidi and Druze are treated as Muslim heresies in CK2/EU4, so I'd expect the devs to throw a bone at them. And thanks for the link.

Even-though i am muslim, i have never really understood the discussion about Islamic golden age. People always turn it into black and white. Either muslims were the most evil savages of the medieval times and ''stole'' the Greek books and added nothing to it, or they were the tolerant and pro science and ''invented'' algebra and the Arabic numerals .
The truth is always found somewhere in the "middle", I think it's just a case where people who feel something is being attacked want to point out different side of the spectrum, thus contributing to the polarization if the dialogue.

Problem is that Yazidi and Druze are treated as Muslim heresies in CK2/EU4, so I'd expect the devs to throw a bone at them. And thanks for the link.
Yes, it would b great if it got changed in CK2 too, I know what you meant. But considering that CK2 is played at a more "personal" level due to character mechanics, while EU4 is about nations I see why both of those religions weren't a priority for developers.

I am 200% impressed with this. I totally didn't expect this revamp to Islam. Now buff Buddhism pls

Also, wouldn't this be an opportunity to add those CK2 Converter heresies? Yazidi, Zikri, Druze etc. Or they wouldn't fit in the School flavor?

Buddhism already got a major buff, take a look! I cant remember when it was patched but they removed the penalties from too high/low karma and you now gain karma from converting. Especially vajrayana can be quite potent now, its one of the better religions for missionary strength and has alot of bonuses from decisions.

Nice, more reasons to convert to islam. 2 new buffs in addition to the current modifiers. will we see buffs for the other religions too? i mean as a muslim u got 3 huge buffs, either high or low piety + ur school now and + the applied patron mechanic. what do u have as a protestant? 3 weak buffs which u can choose.

The truth is always found somewhere in the "middle", I think it's just a case where people who feel something is being attacked want to point out different side of the spectrum, thus contributing to the polarization if the dialogue.
I find this really nicely describes the majority of arguments over the internet. I wonder how much the anonymisation a forum or social media (to a point) provides contributes to this, compared with having the same discussion face-to-face.

That was destroyed in 1258 EU4 begins in 1444 that's almost 200 years later. And even then the muslim schoars had abandoned logic after the mystic Al-Ghazali who publiched a work called Tahāfut al-Falāsifa, The Incoherence of the Philosophers, in the 11th century. The dominant thought shcool became Ash'ari.
In 1444 Islam is very different from the religion who built the house of wisdom.

there is more grain in sweden than france :)
There's also more iron in England than in all of Scandinavia combined. Småland should probably have livestock too they used to smuggle it over the border and sell it in Denmark because the Danes paid better.

Last edited:
I find this really nicely describes the majority of arguments over the internet. I wonder how much the anonymisation a forum or social media (to a point) provides contributes to this, compared with having the same discussion face-to-face.
I'm sure it does. When you're given the anonymity to express yourself without the fear of a backslash in your social environment, it sure might feel more cathartic to express strong opinions instead of well adjusted, balanced thoughts. Also what does not help at all in platforms like Twitter for example, is the short amount of space you're given to make your statement.

And even then the muslim schoars had abandoned logic after the mystic Al-Ghazali who publiched a work called Tahāfut al-Falāsifa, The Incoherence of the Philosophers in the 11th century.

No, this is a myth. First of all, Al-Ghazali wasn't opposed to logic, quite the opposite. But in addition to that:

Hostility to logic was a minority view in scholarly circles throughout this period [1500-1800]. However, many of the scholars regularly invoked earlier authorities in support of their position. It is therefore questionable whether hostility to logic was ever a predominant view amongst Sunni scholars, at least between the endorsement of the discipline by Abu Hamid al-Ghazali (d. 1111) and the rise of the Salafiyya in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.

El-Rouhayeb, Khaled. “Sunni Muslim Scholars on the Status of Logic, 1500-1800.” Islamic Law and Society 11 (2004): 215.

The most famous conservative Ottoman scholar of the 16th century, Mehmed Birgivi...

...himself explicitly condoned the study of logic, dialectic, rational theology (kalam), mathematics and astronomy.

And as a 17th century commentator on his work wrote:

It [logic] is among the most noble of the divine and spiritual sciences, and some wise men have made it the chief of the rational sciences, and some religious scholars have made it an individual duty [on each and every Muslim] since on it depends knowing the necessary existent ... In sum, logic is a science of dazzling demonstration like the sun that is not hidden anywhere. No one denies its good qualities except those who are unable to know realities and see subtleties.

El-Rouhayeb, Khaled. ‘The Myth of the “Triumph of Fanaticism” in the Seventeenth-Century Ottoman Empire.” Die Welt des Islams 48 (2008): 199-200.

Last edited:
Any way to represent the Islamic denial of greek philosophy and Western technolog? There was a death penalty for owning a printing press in the Ottoman Empire in the 1550s. Observatories were also torn down in the centuries after the Islamic Golden Age. Maybe it can be addressed by a slow institution spread.

why don't you talk about renassaince in arabian deserts before talking about printing press in majestic ottoman empire o_O

No, this is a myth. First of all, Al-Ghazali wasn't opposed to logic, quite the opposite. But in addition to that:

El-Rouhayeb, Khaled. “Sunni Muslim Scholars on the Status of Logic, 1500-1800.” Islamic Law and Society 11 (2004): 215.

The most famous conservative Ottoman scholar of the 16th century, Mehmed Birgivi...

And as 17th century commentator on his work wrote:

El-Rouhayeb, Khaled. ‘The Myth of the “Triumph of Fanaticism” in the Seventeenth-Century Ottoman Empire.” Die Welt des Islams 48 (2008): 199-200.
And yet scientific research in the islamic world died out after that. Well in the western islamic world at any rate.

There's also more iron in England than in all of Scandinavia combined. Småland should probably have livestock too they used to smuggle it over the border and sell it in Denmark because the Danes paid better.
I guess Norway (or other scandinavian tag holding Norway's provinces) will still get the event in which metals are discovered in a few provinces (this gives iron, copper, silver if I'm not mistaken).