• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stellaris Dev Diary #77 - Ethics Voice Packs

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. This week’s diary I’m taking charge and going to write about Voice Over’s for the (unannounced) Story Pack coming alongside the 1.8 ‘Čapek’ update! We still can’t tell you any further details about the name or release date of the Story Pack, but stay tuned for future dev diaries!

For the upcoming Story Pack we felt that we wanted to experiment with VIR, our friendly advisor, see how it would feel to have different set of VO cues depending on your Empire’s ethic. A VO Cue is a term that we use to describe a Voice Over line that triggers at a certain point in the game as for example “Hostile Fleet Detected” or “Research Complete”.

We started with a test case in-house to try it out and we concluded that it was a great experience! From then on we moved on with the process and allocated time to write unique script for each role, character description, casting, auditions and finally recording sessions. It has been personally a long and hard process but in the end I’m really pleased to finally show of 3 samples out of 10 Voice Packs!

There will be a automatic settings for the VO Packs in the game so that the VO will switch depending on what Ethic you start with in the game and also switches while you're playing if you decided with switch Ethic's in your campaign. If you're not into that you will be able to select with set of VO Cues you want to play and you will always be able to switch back to the original VO if you desire.

Now that you have heard some of the results you might ask yourself how the whole procedure works with recording VO? So I’ll describe to a certain detail how the whole process goes by. :)

First of you need to write a script and if you have talented Content Designers. and we do have in our team, there is no problem to get good a script. Once the script is complete and approved it gets handed to me and I take it to the next step: Casting!

Casting of it’s own is also a long process which takes time. With help of a Casting Director you can get in touch with several possible Voice Actors that can help you to deliver the best result out of each script. When you have picked out potential actors that you think will suit for the role, you bring them in for a audition. In an audition you let the actor read a certain part of the script which usually depict the character the most and also give the best material for the Voice Actor so that they can perform as good as possible. After all the auditions are done you pick the actor that suited the best for the role. Sometimes during auditions actors comes for a certain role to read but during the session you realize that the actor would be more fitted for another role and that happened to our Militarist! We brought her in to do a audition for another role first but while she was reading the part for the first role I heard that she might be better suited as a angry general, so I asked her to try out for the Militarist and it was a really good fit! So good that we ended up with her as the Militarist.

With all the casting/auditions done you move on to the actual recording session, get as much possible material from your actors. It is important that you’re there to act as a “director” for the actors so that you can give the instructions and guidelines so that they can give you all the right emotions and takes that you require for your character in the game.

As soon as the recordings were done I moved on to editing. There is a lot of editing when it comes to VO since it is not only about how the recording equipment sound but also the sheer amount of assets you need to go through..

VY1grVq.png

While editing you usually “zoom in” really close in the waveforms of the recordings to mess around/cutting noise such as clicks and pops. So yes, we Sound Designers tend to get really nerdy when it comes to VO editing:

aHHJbEZ.png

After you have done all the editing which is removing “clicks” and “pops”, ugly breath takes, add fade in/out, you move into adding “effects” to the VO so we can get that cool Robotic style. For each VO I gave them something else than just using the same settings as for “Default VIR”.

So in short terms that is how you record VO!

That's all for today! Next week we'll be talking about robots and robotic modification.

Here's the thing: No matter The validity of such criticism, if we had picked a male voice, even one that sounded far 'crazier', we would have gotten at most 10-20% of the complaining we've gotten now. I make no judgment about any individual critique but this is an observable enough fact that we literally accounted for it in our planning. That's all.

I dont post, in fact had to go about actually activating my account just to make this post...

Here's the real thing.... your initial statement on this matter was *in fact* in error, as there was only one post I saw that had any complaint about the gender of the voice over. You instead however decided that the best course of action in responding to the critiques of the VO not fitting the role would be to make a blanket accusation of sexism towards your customer base. Ok, great, you are a wiz (no pun intended) at whatever you do involving video games... No sarcasm, I am taking it as fact that you know what you're talking about on the matter of producing video games, or coding them, or whatever it is you do...

Let me in turn advise you on what I'm a wiz at... business. You. Do. Not. Insult. Your. Customers.

You do not insult them to their faces, you do not hit them with veiled insults. You do not disparage them, you do not mock or belittle them. You do not make them the butt of a joke at their expense, even if it's in good faith and humor. You do not do these things because if you want to keep making money with your business, you need your customers to provide the money part of that "making money" equation. You will find that if you habitually disparage your customers, you will soon have few, if any customers.

You also do not do these things because that is not what decent people do. And that should be a consideration that goes above being good to just your customers.

Ok, that being said.... You leveled a blanket accusation of sexism towards your audience. Ok, you made a mistake, it happens... But you doubled down, then tripled down on your error rather than apologizing for speaking poorly of the people who buy your products.

You do *NOT* know how much "complaining" you would have gotten had the VO talent had dangly bits instead of inny bits. Sorry, you do not have the ability to see the future like that. Nobody does. And again, rather than accepting the critique of the VO not matching the ethos the VO was assigned, you insult your customers again by belittling their critiques as complaints.

And yes, you made a very clear judgement on the character of your customer base. You made a nasty one at that. That you also claim that you accounted for the ability to insult your customers is just.... well, why do you still have a job levels of amazing. You leveled a very serious question of character upon your customer base, and you've made it clear that you actually do hold a VERY low opinion of them.

The vast, overwhelming, 99% unanimous factual content in this thread is critique on the flavor of the VO matching the ethics it was assigned. It had nothing to do with the quality of the VO itself, which does sound like very professional work, just simply more fitting for a different ethic/civic such as fanatical purifiers. It had nothing to do with the sex of the VO talent, and numerous posters have pointed out examples from other games with "strong female characters" who fit the role far more suitably. Nobody is saying the VO doesn't fit because it's a woman. People even pointed out a more suitable VO for the military ethic from not only your own studio, but VO already associated with THIS very product. It was female, it was strong and military minded, the quality of the acting was excellent...

And that you then turn to say "well you're all just sexist, we counted on that"... Why do you still have a job interacting with the customers when you demonstrate an almost obsessive desire to insult them in every other post?

And finally... a question related to the 10-20% remark....

What's 10% of 1 post?

I don't read reddit, so I cannot account for whatever content is there, but I can account for the content on this very thread.... one post complaining about the VO being female that I found, and judging by another poster's statements, he found the same results. So if the VO was male, you state quite clearly that the "complaints" would have been 10-20% of what you have now in reality about the female VO... Is 10% of one post going by word count? If so, the post in question had under 100 words, so.... letter count maybe? Which are the offending letters? Are they contained within the same sentence, the same clause, the same word?

Will you continue to double down, or will you do the right thing and apologize to your customers for making unsupported and unsubstantiated accusations on the quality of their character? This is actually the most important one. It is only fair to your customer base that they know up front if they are going to receive a good customer experience, or if they will have to be willing to endure slander as part of the price of your product.

I don't think he's saying that 80-90% are actively misogynistic. I think it's more that the culture we live in doesn't have many examples of that type of female character. Picture the blood knight sterotype. Whether it's in sci-fi or fantasy it's almost certainly going to be a male character, because it's associated with traditionally male stereotypes. The angry, zealous warrior is a male thing and has been since the Templars.

True, and like I said if he'd used 50% or something I probably could have said "well yeah maybe".

But, for many years, in my gaming experience, zealous female warrior has been an option. Like I said, I played a number of RPGs where I got to choose my VO. If they had "bloodthirsty male" as an option, they had "bloodthirsty female" too. And afaik, no one complained over having that option. It probably wasn't selected as often, sure. The only difference is, they weren't saying "bloodthirst is how militarists sound".

I choose to believe that most of the complainers here care about that, rather than the archetype problems. Maybe I'm too much of an optimist, but it's what I believe.

Honestly, I think the complaints aren't particularly valid, for the simple reason we haven't heard the others yet. I do think that this is over the top for most militaristic cultures (though would fit some with warrior culture for instance), however the "orderly, disciplined" voiceline that most propose instead? I'm fairly certain it would be almost exactly like the authoritarian voice. So ultimately, I'm sure most who like to think of a structured military will play authoritarian, and those bloodthirsty conquerors/ fanatic purifiers/ unhinged destroyers will pick the military one.

Just to hammer the point home, military and xenophobe are the only ethics where you can ham it up with the implied violence, and clearly the xenophobe voiceline is more "Imperium of Man" style, leaving military to pick up the slack in that department. As previously stated, you don't HAVE to play the voiceline associated with your main ethic, you can play around with it.

In an ideal world, they would have cast TC Carson (Kratos) for militarist and Phil LaMarr (Samurai Jack) for pacifist.

Go ahead, ask people if they want it for militaristic.
The line works in the context of the movie. It wouldn't necessarily work somewhere else. So it depends on the situation.

The difference to the Stellaris voiceover though is that it's shouted, but not growled. For me it's the growling that ruins it.

You know, the annoying thing is, this post is insightful and I could have agreed with it. If not for that ridiculous 10-20% number.
... It had nothing to do with the quality of the VO itself, which does sound like very professional work, just simply more fitting for a different ethic/civic such as fanatical purifiers ...
After reading about the existence of an even more "crazier" script I have come to the conclusion that she did not - as I assumed previously - over-act.
It is more likely that she was directed to perform as she ended up doing and the fault, at large, falls on the bad script.

Last edited:
I disagree with that
View attachment 284502

There are also going to be four avatar films in total.
What.
You know what, I change my mind. THAT GUY would be a great militarist. Or the General guy from Battle for Terra. I still stand by Pacifist Samurai Jack, though. And even though it would put Paradox in deep legal trouble with EA, George Takei as Spiritualist.

I mean, I guess if everyone wants to interpret that as him calling them sexists individually, no one can stop them. I certainly didn't take it as an insult to myself, but then I'm just one person, not a demographic.

Or is the community on this forum really so full of themselves that they think that as a whole and individually on a collective level, we are all of us flawless, perfect, and beyond reproach in any manner? That any criticism to the collective environment that this forum is a subset of is a direct attack on the individual that dares call themselves a member of it in any capacity?

So you are saying it's OK to level unfounded blanket insults on demographics? Are you honestly of the opinion that it would be OK to say, for example, "black people are bad-thing-X" as long as you don't name an individual? Wouldn't such a statement be, I dunno.... kinda racist?

So you are saying it's OK to level unfounded blanket insults on demographics? Are you honestly of the opinion that it would be OK to say, for example, "black people are bad-thing-X" as long as you don't name an individual? Wouldn't such a statement be, I dunno.... kinda racist?
Not at all, It's more like insulting x because y despite y being completely untrue. Racism is completely dependent on context, and it doesn't enter the scope of this mess.

Whats even more insulting is that Wiz didn't actually listen to any of the arguments, he just went off on his own narrative.

I have nothing against the Klingons, but if I play as a militarist empire I don't want to be Klingons. I'd choose a more disciplined behavior. I prefer to hear more before judging the VOs in the DLC, but if the authoritarian one is cool, I'll have no problem using it for another ethos.

As for it being a female voice, I actually would find it better. Because of Star Trek: The Next Generation I ended up with the idea that a ship computer or an AI is female.

Alright, I see how I could be read that way. To be clear, I disagree that your example is innocuous. I don't really have the time or inclination to elaborate my point here. Honestly a lot of conversations on this kind of topic seem to be people talking past each other, and I'm certainly not innocent there in general.

My point was more about communities than demographics, which I feel is different enough that your analogy doesn't hold perfectly, but maybe I'm wrong. It's certainly not something I've put great effort into formalizing my thoughts on yet.

I'll end my comment off here with a restated expression of hopeful optimism for the voice packs.

I understand entirely where Wiz is coming from.

I also agree that when I first though of militarist, before hearing anything, i thought of a cold professionalism. However, both that and the Klingon style are equally valid for militaristic ethics depending on your empire. Furthermore, no other ethic could really justify such an aggressive style. I expect authoritarian to fulfill the cold flavour I initially thought of and think having both in the game - so that fanatic purifiers have a representation - is more desirable over several variants of 'cold and professional'. I actually really like all 3 and find the 'she is frothing at the mouth' comments to be gross hyperbole. It is slightly Klingony yes, but far from demented.

As for the sexism issue, I do understand the argument that people might be unconsciously reacting to the voice as being female without even realising it. You can argue all you want for your own case, but the fact remains everyone reacts instinctively to different things without being aware of it based on upbringing and past experiences... creating unconscious expectations. I've read some fascinating studies about how the brain - within just fragments of a second - reacts negatively to pictures of strangers from different racial groups. This is just how the human brain has evolved and is to do with a sort of tribal 'group' mentality. It goes on to show how this initial response can be easily overridden by higher brain functions, and more constant exposure to difference etcetc. The study went into A LOT more detail than this and I am not doing it justice, but the point remains; our brain reacts without us realising it and colours our perceptions. From what I understand, Wiz is arguing that such a colouring of perceptions is happening in some cases and people are not aware of it. Whether this is true or not I am not going to and can not comment. The argument, however, makes sense.

Edit: And yes, pretty much everyone is going to have expectations and preconceptions hidden away based on gender.

Last edited:
I have nothing against the Klingons, but if I play as a militarist empire I don't want to be Klingons. I'd choose a more disciplined behavior. I prefer to hear more before judging the VOs in the DLC, but if the authoritarian one is cool, I'll have no problem using it for another ethos.

As for it being a female voice, I actually would find it better. Because of Star Trek: The Next Generation I ended up with the idea that a ship computer or an AI is female.

Well, you are thinking of the Klingons from ST:TNG and the movies, who in reality probably never would have gotten off their planet without exterminating themselves in some idiotic blood feud. But remember the Klingons from ST:TOS? Those Klingons might have actually made it into space.

After reading about the existence of an even more "crazier" script I have come to the conclusion that she did not - as I assumed previously - over-act.
It is more likely that she was directed to perform as she ended up doing and the fault, at large, falls on the bad script.

I didn't think it even sounded that "crazy". Overly dramatic at best would be my say on it.

The best way to clear up the VO sets themselves would be to do what they did with the rooms setup. Let the player choose. That... and have both male and female voice sets....

Because it would be VERY immersion-breaking if when a female ruler is voiced by a male, and a male by a female. I always took the Tutorial AI-bot as being a workaround for that.... instead of having to voice-act male and female versions of every line (or even every species, unless all aliens , they had a generic helper to do the voice work which worked regardless of the ruler's gender, or even species

Alright, I see how I could be read that way. To be clear, I disagree that your example is innocuous. I don't really have the time or inclination to elaborate my point here. Honestly a lot of conversations on this kind of topic seem to be people talking past each other, and I'm certainly not innocent there in general.

My point was more about communities than demographics, which I feel is different enough that your analogy doesn't hold perfectly, but maybe I'm wrong. It's certainly not something I've put great effort into formalizing my thoughts on yet.

I'll end my comment off here with a restated expression of hopeful optimism for the voice packs.

Communities can be demographics as well. Your statement makes no sense until you explain what definition of 'demographics' you are using.

Well, you are thinking of the Klingons from ST:TNG and the movies, who in reality probably never would have gotten off their planet without exterminating themselves in some idiotic blood feud. But remember the Klingons from ST:TOS? Those Klingons might have actually made it into space.

That is correct. I actually watched some of the movies first, then ST:TNG and the original series later. My first impression was not the one in TOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.