• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Duc de Saint-Aignan speaks up in the Chamber of Peers.

My lord Chancellor and esteemed Peers of France,

A matter of the development of the local governance is the one I have many times raised before. Now we do see that the Ministry, as if attempting to resolve this problem, proposes a bill. And indeed the act contains a number of commendable provisions. Alas, under the guise of this initiative, we see something else happening. Something that looks oddly like the anticlerical party attempting to assault the spiritual basis of our beloved Kingdom -if it is not a simple blunder.

Behold the Article 9 of the Law on Communes, Councils and Municipalities, good Peers of France, behold and wonder! This Article expicitly forbids the priests of our holy Catholic religion to be local deputies. Can one imagine that such an attack upon the faith is happening not under the dictatorship of Robespierre, but under the sceptre of the Most Christian King, know for his pious convictions?

Most excellent Peers of France, you all know what important functions do the priests execute and how much are they generally respected, especially in rural communes. In many cases the priests are the ideal candidates for the local offices, due to their knowledge of the folk and the moral influence they possess. They are also the natural servants of the Monarchy. And yet this bill seeks to exclude them, as if we are once again under the jacobin yoke and servants of God are considered the enemies of the government. Of the government whose Sovereign bears the title of the Most Christian Majesty.

And are the priests now somehow considered lesser subjects of His Majesty the King, are they somehow being deprived of their civil and political rights? And is not such a limitation absurd, taking into account that the clergymen have been and are elected into the Chamber of Deputies and appointed to the Chamber of Peers, actively participating in the doings of the national legislative body?

We have seen many great presbyters serving in governmental roles, both in the past and in the present, one of whom is the Archbishop of Reims. And yet now we somehow would disallow their lesser brethern to have a voice in the communes they live in. While I do not want to suspect conspiracies, I believe that this bill can lead only to one result - the deChristianization of the rural communes, and therefore believe that any good Catholic should oppose that.

While I would not spend more of your esteemed time speaking regarding the other laws, I most note that I believe that the replacemens of the trusted Law of March 1822 (the De Valence Law), which has set a clear regime regarding the protection of the public peace and prevention of the crimes committed by press, by new press regulations is simply unneccessary. Under the Valence Law and Decazes Press Laws the proprietors, responsible editors and authors that have committed crimes can already be held responsible, why there needs be this new statute?

- SAINT-AIGNAN

Law on Public Works: Oui
Law on the Assumption of Pecuniary Control: Qui
Law on the Compagnie des Messageries: No
Law Respecting Newspapers and Periodicals: No
Law on the Election and Voter Lists: No
Law on the Communes, Councils, and Municipalities: No
Budget of 1828: No

[The Edgest: +3PP]
[Seine- Inferieure]

Last edited:
Chamber of Deputies.

I find myself in agreement with Deputy Henri Armentieres. Despite several members of the Chamber expressing their concern of the current state of reforms, there have not even been a single attempt of compromise, amendment or negotiation in any form whatsoever from the Ministry. Unless the proposed legislature are not properly amended we are in no position to accept such legislation. I can't do anything but to air the dissapointment from many Deputies. We looked forward to meaningful debate and compromise, yet none were met.

If these laws are to be followed through I am in need of convincing arguments, none have so far been provided.

Law on Public Works: Oui.
Law on the Assumption of Pecuniary Control: No.
Law on the Compagnie des Messageries: Oui.
Law Respecting Newspapers and Periodicals: No.
Law on the Election and Voter Lists: Oui.
Law on the Communes, Councils, and Municipalities: No.
Budget of 1828: Oui.

[Incomprehensible insurgent: +3PP]
[Seine]

Lothaire Lécuyer.

-----

At an earlier date Lothaire worked together with Laffitte to hold another one of their many banquets. This was to further the position of their President candidate. Among the invited were several promiment journalists, editors of circulations, writers and commentators among liberal and (left) opposition circles, such as Carrel and Mignet. There several Orléanists would air their opinion of the current political affairs. Lothaire and Laffitte also took the oppurtinity to find suitable writers to "le National". They also took the oppurtunity to prod the liberal media of what it took to get their support..

Lothaire had also taken the time to go for a visit to the sister of the Duke of Orléans, wishing to get her council and opinion on various matters...

Last edited:
ZgTDSJZ.jpg

No sooner had the the Independents proven the strength of their cause with regard to the election of the estimable Royer-Collard that they have gone full pivot against the cause of reform, and seeking, perhaps, the deployment of corruptible enterprises in the prefectures, they line up against the Law of the Lists, abandoning all pretense and happy sense, and preferring instead to exchange vices with the Ultras. Doubtful they shall advance their cause with much confidence hereafter...

B. Constant

Law on the Assumption of Pecuniary Control: Oui
Law on the Compagnie des Messageries: Non
Law Respecting Newspapers and Periodicals: Non
Law on the Election and Voter Lists: Non
Law on the Communes, Councils, and Municipalities: Non
Budget of 1828: Non

[Shadow Master +2.5PP]
[Loire]

duc de Sully

((Looks like I managed not to copy the whole ballot sheet…))

[Accidental Establishmentarian: +2 PP]
[Seine]

J3RUnZ6FX6FVwGK2mKOIUIwIdCsheM8e1XST8O4usYRL8FF6gD9neIvjxHtR0HEfoPi6Rr7CvKIRI7cLcswgHWejyBf_cBg94sFbisTwy36Y50N8TCBgYVbAYZ8yfvhPN9h_XXAz

A Correction

Having reviewed the relevant legislation in greater detail and pleading both fatigue and pre-occupation, I must concur with the stance taken by M. Constant as regards the electoral law. I therefore put the full weight of my support behind the electoral reform, which is unrelated to the administrative matter pertaining to the communes. I encourage all who feel as I do to vote similarly and to change their intended course if they have already expressed their opposition. I sincerely apologize for the error.

H. Bourbon-Armentiéres

Saint Germain quietly tells his followers to vote with their conscience, not instilling any sort of whip on the vote.

((Private - @naxhi24 ))

To my colleague, Alexandre Desroisers

As the owner of half of the Seine Bank, I thought you should know that there is an property of which the Bank still owns - the Petit Journal and all of its assets. While the deal the Duc de Sully made with you to maintain his portion of the Bank's control over that property may have been legal, may, it does not mean that the Bank itself no longer has partial ownership as per the actions of the Comte St. Germain before his dark end.

Busy with ministry matters as I am and not wishing to harm the dignity of the Council of State, I must delegate many Bank matters to you my co-owner. And that would include the Bank's ownership, partial or otherwise, of the Petit Journal. I trust you will pursue through legal recourse to protect the property of the Seine Bank in this matter. It is unclear whether, in the case of joint ownership of a company, ownership of the individual assets is split 50/50, but regardless through my continued refusal of payment for this particular property despite continued offers by the Duc we have a legal case that he himself concedes he does not truly own that property free and clear. I will forward all of my correspondence with the Duc's secretary regarding the Seine Bank to you.

I know you are not a bank manager by trade, but I implore you to protect the property of this fine institution of which you own with me in equal part.

Your business partner,
Thibaut Duval

To Thibaut Duval ((@MadMartigan))

Sir

My father, Robert Descombes, has expressed his wishes to help grow the Seine Bank. He also wishes to express his intent on following all rules and procedures laid out by you and the Duc de Sully, and shall protect the property that is, by legal right, under your ownership should a case be put against it. Lastly, my father hopes that under the guidance of both himself and yourself, the Seine Bank can grow into a major financial institution within France.

Descombes and Company shall gladly oversee Seine Bank operations while you are away serving in government.

-Alexandre Descombes

Last edited:
((I feel sorry for whichever poor deputy I'm controlling rn…))

Law on the Election and Voter Lists: Non –> Oui

[Accidental Establishmentarian: +2 PP]
[Seine]

Law on the Assumption of Pecuniary Control: No
Law on the Compagnie des Messageries: Oui
Law on the Election and Voter Lists: Oui
Budget of 1828: Oui

[No Bonus]
[Doubs]

-Alexandre Descombes

Last edited:
Following internal consoltations between St Germain Royalists, a de facto whip was established.
~

Law on Public Works:
Oui ||
Law on the Assumption of Pecuniary Control: Oui |
Law on the Compagnie des Messageries: Oui ||
Law Respecting Newspapers and Periodicals: Oui |||
Law on the Election and Voter Lists: Oui |||
Law on the Communes, Councils, and Municipalities: Non ||
Budget of 1828: Oui |

[Grandmaître of the Chamber +2.5PP]
[Toulouse]

((Private - @99KingHigh ))

Addressed to the Esteemed Gentleman,
Jean Joseph Antoine de Courvoisier;

Monsieur,

I hope you are well.

Let me express the sincere apologies of His Grace the duc de Sully for his inaction in supporting yourself during the election for the Presidency of the Chamber of Deputies - alas the duc was occupied with his duties as Chancellor of France and President of the Chamber of Peers, and also truthfully felt he may find the ire of many for interfering in such affairs; and he truly regrets such line of thought - for it was you who deserves the congratulations and honor of being President of the Chamber of Deputies.

Please rest assured that in the next election you will have His Grace's hearty support, and that of his supporters within the Chamber of Deputies. The wrongs dealt to you shall be righted, monsieur.

As a final measure of apology to your person, the duc invites you to lunch at his home - a most excellent array of dishes has been planned for in anticipation of such.

Yours sincerely,

v2bEq89.png

Private Secretary to the Chancellor of France
---

((Private - @99KingHigh ))

Addressed to the Esteemed Gentleman,
François-Régis de La Bourdonnaye;

Monsieur,

I hope you are in good health.

Let me express the sincere apologies of His Grace the duc de Sully for his inaction in the election for the Presidency of the Chamber of Deputies - he was otherwise occupied with his duties, and felt it wrong to interfere in the other chamber's affairs; of course, His Grace readily admits the error in such a view and pledges much greater activity in future elections, and to do right to the most true and leal servants of His Majesty, the King.

His Grace would be most honored if you would attend a dinner at his home - monsieur can rest assured there will be a delectable array of dishes for such an occasion.

Yours sincerely,

v2bEq89.png

Private Secretary to the Chancellor of France

B8Y7DKL.jpg

It is indeed not deficient in imperfections; but in the quantity of imperfections it is all the more superior to the cut of it's predecessors. For in this march to that valued liberty of the word, and that liberty of the tongue, the process cannot be presumed to be a cascade of freedom. Let us earn ourselves a point of rejoice, the abolition of the advanced approval, and work hereafter to reduce the deposit, but we should not riddle the whole proposal with musket-balls because we view the work in a portion to run contrary to the absolute attainment of our proclivities. No, let us approach with caution, and give welcome acclaim to this statute of improved quality...

Chateaubriand

Lothaire was exhausted. All the travels around the countryside the past months, the parties and political mingling the year before and now the drama in Paris was exhausting. It all took its toll on him, so he then decided that in August, when the Chamber of Deputies would be on a well deserved summerbreak, he would take his family to a vacation in Vienna. Perhaps he could visit a friend there...

acf5f707c1e051e5981342a3854e1869.jpg

Monsieur Durer

Monsieur Durer is the first novel penned by the duc de Sully; written in the aftermath of the duc's fall from government and with Parisian society's hostility towards him at an all time high, the novel is Sully's not-so-subtle attempt at putting forward a sympathetic viewpoint towards the trials and tribulations that men holding great responsibility face. It is in many ways considered his very own fictionalized autobiography.

The book follows the life of Monsieur Charles Durer - a quiet and respectable man in a small rural town somewhere in central France. Although largely disinterested in politics, and more devoted to quiet acts of charity in conjunction with the local parish, Monsieur Durer is eventually convinced to stand for mayor by a number of concerned citizens and the Prèfet. With such support the unlikely candidate rises to the occasion and is elected.

The first few years of Monsieur Durer's tenure as mayor go smoothly, with much of the town content with his leadership despite the grumblings of some malcontents and criminals. However in the face of some difficult times and hard choices the leadership of Monsieur Durer - although in the best interests of the people - quickly grows more and more unpopular: many of his older supporters turn on him and drift to support others. The embattled mayor takes comfort in the continued support of the Prèfet however, and in his continued belief of the good of his work.

However a series of mishaps plague Monsieur Durer and in the following election he loses his place, much to his dismay and to the joy of the malcontents and criminals. In a passage from the novel, Durer laments:

"It was as if I was Atlas, though burdened by the even greater responsibility of satisfying the whims of the people - granted all the blame and naught the glory of my duties."

In the time following his loss Monsieur Durer is employed directly by the Prèfet in his office where he feels far more gratified with the work he does. Despite the ill treatment dealt to him he remains fond of his town and much of its people.

The novel closes with Monsieur Durer content with his life, happy with his accomplishments and unconcerned with, and perhaps even defiant towards, the animosity of those who had opposed him during his tenure as mayor.

Law on the Assumption of Pecuniary Control: Oui
Law on the Compagnie des Messageries: No
Law on the Election and Voter Lists: No
Budget of 1828: No

[The Ideologue Marshal +2.5PP]
[Vendée]

- Le Vicomte de Saint Fulgent, Maréchal de France

15sNzwI.png

Déclaration du Conseil des ministres
Concerning the Law Respecting Newspapers and Periodicals

À lire dans la Chambre des députés et la Chambre des pairs
It is quite the dissapointment when I, and the rest of the Council, has recieved the news that some Deputies and Peers have decided to vote against the law that was made to promote more cultural and political freedom of prints, and other writings. Due to the lack of knowledge concerning the law, I will therefore in this statement defend this law and educate the most honored members of the Chamber of Deputies and Chamber of Peers, why this law is important.

The law is both fair, and provides the necessary security against defamation and other injustice upon any party. The most major change in allowances is that every Frenchman is allowed to print and publish newspapers and periodicals, as long as they are able to furnish the necessary bonds as explained in the law. This means that they do not need prior authorization from the Ministry of Justice, as they did before, which in turn will allow for a freer press than before and an effective end to any censorship that was imposed beforehand. For the honoured Deputies and Peers who truly believe in the freedom guarenteed by the Charter of 1814, should not vote against this law, but rather vote in favour of it, and relish in the freedom that it brings us all, instead of hiding in the shadow of censorship and regulations that creates unnecessary divisions and cracks in the society of the Kingdom of France.

Signed by: the Spokesman of the Council of Ministers & Minister of War
bOo9Ll3.png

Hearing of the memorandum from Council of Ministers, the Duc de Saint-Aignan once again speaks up in the Chamber of Peers.

My lord Chancellor and esteemed Peers of France,

In the document that has come from the most esteemed spokesman of the Ministry, the Duc de Conegliano, we have been told that the new Law on the regulation of the Press and Periodicals sets a new "fair" approach towards the press freedom, while abolishing the previous Valence Law of 1822. This fairness is supposed to be in the following; while the newspapers that contain political news would not longer need prior authorization from the Ministry of Justice, they would be able to be printed by each Frenchman... that has the money to furnish the bond.

Such principle, in my opinion, is nor here nor there and does not correspond even with the most basic aims of the legislation regarding the prevention of the abuses of the freedom of press. The aim of such laws is to prevent the circulation of the materials that may be dangerous and harmful to the security of the Kingdom, safety of the Throne and public order. This why such procedure as the prior authorization has been set in 1822.

However, the new law seems to contain the following philosophy: you get the permission to publish not if your newspaper meets certain criteria set in law, but simply if you have the money to pay six thousand francs a year. Currently I am truly at loss - what is the connection between the ability to pay such a sum and the duty of the state to defense its internal and external safety, good morals and so on? Do the authors of the law sincerely believe that people who are able to raise this sum would be more reasonable that the others due to the inherent virtues that each wealthy person possesses? Or do they believe that this bond would somehow compensate the state for the harms that may be caused by any of such journals or newspapers? Do they believe that the tranquility of the Throne, and internal peace within the country do have a monetary value? Then there is the question - what methods did the esteemed legislators use to come to the conclusion that they cost precisely 6000 francs a year?

Neither the law nor the declaration of most excellent Duc de Conegliano give us the answers, my lords.

- SAINT-AIGNAN

LE CONSTITUTIONNEL

A Declaration from the Council of Ministers

It is very disappointing that some of you Deputies have not voted as we wanted you to. In my France? Surely not!

Here is a list of reasons why you should start being less silly and more Sully:

1. We have made censorship New and Exciting! Now your little newspapers can find new and improved ways to draw the ire of the Ministry!

2. This law has been drawn up by some of the cleverest people in the Kingdom, who are Fair and Just, and who Know What's Best for you oiks.

3. Can you plebs actually read? Why are you so worked up about censorship when you're all uneducated, anyway?

4. That's it, actually. I've run out of reasons, so I'll now just say Freedom a few times to disguise the fact that my own relationship with the Charter is very complicated and founded mainly in a hypocritical desire to save my own thin skin.

~ A Servant of France