HOI4 Dev Diary - Together for Audio

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am sure that you are proud of the work on the audio and I don't doubt that many players will like it. My question on VO is can the feature be turned off completely without disabling game sound overall? Having my units talk back to me would feel too much like giving orders to orcs in some RTS game (no offense intended).

I really do not want this feature, though the music player looks nice.

Reactions:
Excellent work there, chaps. Those voice overs will add a nice bit of character to the game. I'm very much looking forward to this before Christmas.

Keep up the good work and don't let the 'gloom and doom' brigade grind you down. It seems no matter what you guys do, some grim souls will overlook it all and just moan about what you didn't do ;)

Reactions:
songs are meh, but the idea of troops voices is nice. will it be free?
Voices & Music are in the expansion, not the free patch, so you'll have to get that :)

Reactions:
I am sure that you are proud of the work on the audio and I don't doubt that many players will like it. My question on VO is can the feature be turned off completely without disabling game sound overall? Having my units talk back to me would feel too much like giving orders to orcs in some RTS game (no offense intended).

I really do not want this feature, though the music player looks nice.
There is a new volume control actually for this so you can turn them down if you dont like them

Reactions:
There is a new volume control actually for this so you can turn them down if you dont like them
Thank you, I suspected there would be but always good to ask especially when it might not be too late to still add such a thing.

Reactions:
The Alamein track sounds a lot like the Overwatch main theme.

That isn't an accusation of copying to be clear, but it instantly reminded me of it.

@podcat

Can you tell us what new models (tanks, ships, etc.) are included in TfV?
Team music&sound wrote so much stuff I decided to put the art showcase in next weeks instead. I promise I'll try to tweet a little teaser hopefully on friday though so you can see a render of some of them :)

Reactions:
Team music&sound wrote so much stuff I decided to put the art showcase in next weeks instead. I promise I'll try to tweet a little teaser hopefully on friday though so you can see a render of some of them :)
"next weeks DD" from that I deduce that a Pearl Harbor anniversary release date is off the table. :) Oh well I tried. Can't be right all the time.

That's cool. It was a nice diary -- I definitely wasn't expecting unit voices, that's for sure.

On the topic of models... are there any plans to release the ones that were released in the Colonel Edition?

@podcat
I am a little disappointed. I was sure there would be an official announcement for Manchukuo. Twitter is nice, but if it's in the patch or in the dlc, you should announce that here ;)

The other things are .... nice. I mean ... I did turn off the music, anyway. So ... nah. Not important. But the replies are nice :) But the question is: What kind of reply do we get, if we play ... Iran ... British RAJ ... or ... Brasil? Is there a standard language reply? Will every other nation stay in silence?

Reactions:
Voices & Music are in the expansion, not the free patch, so you'll have to get that :)
Does this still mean we may get more nations in the future? I hope the rest of the Commonwealth and Poland could at eventually have some.

Reactions:
@podcat
The other things are .... nice. I mean ... I did turn off the music, anyway. So ... nah. Not important. But the replies are nice :) But the question is: What kind of reply do we get, if we play ... Iran ... British RAJ ... or ... Brasil? Is there a standard language reply? Or do every other nation stay in silence?

Other nations will play the default SFX as before when you're selecting units

Reactions:
Probably means American and British English.

They are different in some ways other then just spelling, accents being one, and colloquiums, mannerisms etc.
Maybe it will be a joint effort and they will use British phrases with a Texan accent. :)

Reactions:
So, if I wanted to add my own music tracks to the game (love the original soundtrack by the way) this will make it easier to do? Or can it already be done easily?
It's super easy to do. You just need the track in a .ogg format and to add it in the music files.

Reactions:
Other nations will play the default SFX as before when you're selecting units
Unless you intend to add specific South African, Australian, etc. voiceovers for those countries, I'd recommend giving the Commonwealth nations the British voiceover by default. Remember that the officer corps was largely British and British-trained, and it's better than having no voices at all for those countries.

Sure, unique voices would be ideal (especially given the theme of this expansion), but I think having those countries use the British set would be a sensible backup -- and especially India.

Reactions:
I like the music player idea. But is it possible to listen to other music? If so do we have to put it in a folder?

Yeah, it would be awesome if we got a tool to import music into the game without moding.

Although it doesn't affect the gameplay, I really like what I read in this dev diary. I'm surprised, however, that you didn't include voices for Poland and the Commonwealth countries. Aussie troops MUST exclaim "Hey mate!" when you click on them.

Reactions: