HOI4 Dev Diary - New Zealand & Combat Log

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, someone has a sense of humour.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...4-development-diary-october-12th-2016.973797/

Check out how many people didn't like that.

Respectfully Disagree x 461
Agree x 109
Helpful x 33
Did I say do whatever the hell customers say? Part of their design philosophy is that if somethings isn't neccasay it's DLC except for certain situations. For instance, the main page that the dev diary goes over was planned to be put in before release but had to be cut. Because of that, they released what they had intended for it for free, while adding extra features to be DLC. Blitz was not intended for the game at first. They designed a flexible battle planner system that would adapt to the front and cover it all. Since people tried using it to create spearheads, they added an EXTRA feature that would abandon most of be front and just shoot forward

Reactions:
They designed a flexible battle planner system that would adapt to the front and cover it all. Since people tried using it to create spearheads, they added an EXTRA feature that would abandon most of be front and just shoot forward

If that is the case, then why did they decide to call it 'Battle planner', and not 'Frontline manager'?

Reactions:
If that is the case, then why did they decide to call it 'Battle planner', and not 'Frontline manager'?
Idk, maybe because they have different plans available ;) or because it also is in charge of offensives

Reactions:
Idk, maybe because they have different plans available ;) or because it also is in charge of offensives

I guess we should just be grateful that they decided to give us naval invasions and para-drops for free then? I wonder why they deemed that those should be in the base game, but not armoured offensives.

You mean offensives like the ones that actually happened in WW2 that were characterised by armoured spearhead offensives?

Reactions:
I guess we should just be grateful that they decided to give us naval invasions and para-drops for free then? I wonder why they deemed that those should be in the base game, but not armoured offensives.

You mean offensives like the ones that actually happened in WW2 that were characterised by armoured spearhead offensives?
Because paratrooping and invading navally are literally impossible without the battle planner. Just because something happened doesn't mean it should be added to the battle planner. Also, there are design choices that they went through that you can't see

Reactions:
Cheers for the DD Podcat :D. New Zealand focus tree looks mint (although I'm not totally convinced that NZ need a Big Bob national focus, but I appreciate that their small size means some creativity is required :)) and that Combat Log looks the bomb - very useful. A few questions if easy/appropriate (but ignore if not):

1) The slider at the top looks like it maxes out at 12 months - any chance this is (or could be in the future) moddable? While many theatres didn't last much longer than this, something like the Japanese front in China, Eastern Front for Germany/USSR or the front in North Africa lasted longer, and it'd be nice (ie, this isn't critical, but it'd be nice if it's an easy thing to do) to be able to extend it to the whole history if possible.

2) What does "armoured" and "other" mean in the combat log? I'm guessing that manpower is total manpower lost, armoured is manpower lost to armour, air is manpower lost to air and other is manpower lost to anything that's not armour, air or infantry, but it's either potentially confusing or I'm just thick. If latter, laugh and roll on :).

3) Are the categories in 2 moddable in terms of how many are displayed? For us detail nuts, would be cool if we could tinker with the interface and add motorised and infantry (and perhaps mechanised, or whatever feels appropriate for particular mods). This is just a "it'd be cool if it was possible" (and, as a land thing, something I personally would be unlikely to get to until 2017).

When working on the New Zealand tree, we wanted to include some important historical developments. The formation of the Royal New Zealand Navy and Air Force were important for the country's ability to defend itself. To aid you, two light cruisers and a number of aircraft will be transferred to the newly formed services.

4) I'm pretty sure the two cruisers "transferred" to the RNZN were already serving at the time. Does this mean we'll be able to transfer ships between nations now? If not, does this mean that the Allies get two bonus cruisers when the RNZN is formed, or are missing them until it is? Not a huge issue, but something of particular interest from a naval perspective (and if ships are transferrable via event/NF now I'd be a very happy camper :)).

Perhaps by taking Australia on the way.

Never!

Thats it for today, next week I'll be inviting @Jazzhole and @Metal King over to talk about awesome new music and sound.

Great news :D.

Local Pattern.

That's quality attention to detail with the acronym :).

Doesn't the US focus "destroyers for bases" already remove destroyers from US to give destroyers to UK? I am not 100% certain as I find US boring to play but you do get some ships as the UK if you get the event from the US focus. (Though you don't need them and the bases are worth more to build factories in imo)

The event in question (USA.4, and I know, I should get out more knowing that off the top of my head!) as it stands in 1.2.1 only adds new ships to the Canadian and British OOBs, rather than transferring them. Other than one exception (which presumably slipped in accidentally - there were 50 of them and they all changed name when they transferred, so I'm not surprised or critical :)) none of these vessels are in the game at the start (so if the destroyers for bases event never happens, they never exist).

Not sure how close we got, but I sent @Sideburnout a link to the mod and said "this is great, make something like it" :)

Great work, this is something I play with as well, makes unit selection much easier :).

@podcat , is it possible to divide NZL into more states? It's painfully hard to do anything with only 2 states under you rule at such low manpower.

New Zealand is pretty small - you really should be limited both manpower-wise and industrially. Right now (ie, 2016) New Zealand doesn't have a combat air force, it's that big :).

Edit: NZ does actually have an air force (I wrote above that it didn't, apologies for knocking the Kiwis), but it hasn't had a combat capability since 2001.

This is becoming a joke.

Frantic attempt to pack enough content into a DLC so that they can justify it? Or is it restricting so much to DLCs that it becomes almost compulsory to purchase?

When you purchase a car, and after the fact the manufacturer declares a fault in that vehicle, you can take the car back to a dealership and they will perform the necessary modification free of charge.

While I understand people will always want more for nothing, I can't see a way how those detailed tabs would be considered necessary for the base game, or 'fixing' a fault by design/implementation (for which an argument could be made regarding the Blitz/Spearhead thing). It's extra information which is nice to have (and I'm quite sure I'll appreciate and use it), but it's anything but essential. Just because it's something you personally might really want doesn't make it so. Given it takes person-hours to produce and test, I can't see a sensible argument for having it as part of the paid DLC.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Can we get a way to see how many total soldiers we have in a selected army?
you mean in manpower? I have that in a future todo list. probably wont get in for 1.3 tho.

Cheers for the DD Podcat :D. New Zealand focus tree looks mint (although I'm not totally convinced that NZ need a Big Bob national focus, but I appreciate that their small size means some creativity is required :)) and that Combat Log looks the bomb - very useful. A few questions if easy/appropriate (but ignore if not):

1) The slider at the top looks like it maxes out at 12 months - any chance this is (or could be in the future) moddable? While many theatres didn't last much longer than this, something like the Japanese front in China, Eastern Front for Germany/USSR or the front in North Africa lasted longer, and it'd be nice (ie, this isn't critical, but it'd be nice if it's an easy thing to do) to be able to extend it to the whole history if possible.

2) What does "armoured" and "other" mean in the combat log? I'm guessing that manpower is total manpower lost, armoured is manpower lost to armour, air is manpower lost to air and other is manpower lost to anything that's not armour, air or infantry, but it's either potentially confusing or I'm just thick. If latter, laugh and roll on :).

3) Are the categories in 2 moddable in terms of how many are displayed? For us detail nuts, would be cool if we could tinker with the interface and add motorised and infantry (and perhaps mechanised, or whatever feels appropriate for particular mods). This is just a "it'd be cool if it was possible" (and, as a land thing, something I personally would be unlikely to get to until 2017).

1) Its a question of savegame space and memory, but yes its moddable
2) those are actually listing equipment losses by category, so lost armored vehicles, regular equipment, or aircraft
3) I am not completely sure on this one without spending a lot of time digging into code, but the categories I think are moddable, but right now UI only handles those particualr ones. we can probably expand it in the future.

Reactions:
So far the dlc "features" like having a statistics page (after the battle is over?!) still pales in comparison to the Black Ice Mod, I really am curious where the devs are spending their time, this stuff like focus trees, mod creaters do in their sleep. Devs have said they will wait to adjust focus trees of other, non common wealth countries for other dlc. Here we go with "Eu4" style "chase the dragon", just one more dlc and it'll be fun, just one more dlc, just one more dlc. Release a feature, then get paid to fix it up.

Personally my tolerance of games that are dumbed down for the casuals and never ending shallow dlc is getting pretty thin. GIVE US MAJOR FEATURES. New zealand focuses and statistics SHOULDVE been in the game at the start!!!

BTW waiting for the dlc to fix the multiplayer cheats is pretty bad move. Aren't you trying to pretend you care about the community while selling stuff?

Reactions:
@podcat

Wouldn't "Battles Won" be more correct in English than "Won Combats" (in the sixth screenie)?
Although I do believe "Won Combats" is technically correct, it does sound very awkward especially when used the way it is in-game. "Combats" could be replaced by "Battles" and "Won Combats" replaced by "Battles Won." Or perhaps better yet, "Combats" could be replaced by "Engagements" and "Won Combats" could be replaced by "Engagements Won". A simple "Victories" would also work very well in place of "Won Combats" and "Engagements" in place of "Fought In". The latter would probably be my preferred choice.

It seems a little strange to me that a communist New Zealand doesn't have an alternative branch to joining Comintern in their focus tree when the new Australian, Canadian, and South African tress do.
I know this wasn't directed to you when I first posted it, podcat, but do you think I could get a response to this if you could spare the time? As far as I'm aware, all the other countries that have focus tree branches that give alternative ideological paths (besides India, for reasons that I believe were mentioned in the dev diary) seem to have a "[NATION] First!" option and a "Join [MAIN FACTION]" option for the communist and fascist versions of the country. If there isn't a reason for not including this for communist New Zealand, it seems like a bit of an oversight considering how consistent it has been thus far.

Reactions:
1) Its a question of savegame space and memory, but yes its moddable
2) those are actually listing equipment losses by category, so lost armored vehicles, regular equipment, or aircraft
3) I am not completely sure on this one without spending a lot of time digging into code, but the categories I think are moddable, but right now UI only handles those particualr ones. we can probably expand it in the future.

Cheers for the info, and great to hear #1 is moddable :).

So far the dlc "features" like having a statistics page (after the battle is over?!) still pales in comparison to the Black Ice Mod, I really am curious where the devs are spending their time, this stuff like focus trees, mod creaters do in their sleep. Devs have said they will wait to adjust focus trees of other, non common wealth countries for other dlc. Here we go with "Eu4" style "chase the dragon", just one more dlc and it'll be fun, just one more dlc, just one more dlc. Release a feature, then get paid to fix it up.

Personally my tolerance of games that are dumbed down for the casuals and never ending shallow dlc is getting pretty thin. GIVE US MAJOR FEATURES. New zealand focuses and statistics SHOULDVE been in the game at the start!!!

BTW waiting for the dlc to fix the multiplayer cheats is pretty bad move. Aren't you trying to pretend you care about the community while selling stuff?

On focus trees, doing a quality focus tree takes time and effort - suggesting they can be done in their sleep is just plain wrong.

On things that one may or may not consider "should have been in the game at the start", given that time and resources are pretty much constrained, are you saying:
- Something else shouldn't have been in the game so these could have been; or
- The game should have been more expensive to cover the extra work involve in producing them.

Either way, I'm not sure we'd be in a very different situation in the long-term. At the end of the day, it costs resources (money) to do things. We could have had HoI4 at launch at launch price, plus for for DLC to expand it later, or we could have HoI4 later at a higher price with other stuff in it (but without the benefit of release to give all the existing features a good test). Which are you proposing?

Reactions:
Yeah, Engagements is a much better alternative to Combats.
Agreed. The mock-up below seems ideal to me.

1zvq23a.jpg

Also, and this is just nitpicking, but the "Won Combats" column might be better after the "Fought In" column. That's strictly my opinion though and doesn't really matter too much.

Edit: One last thing. Some good columns for the Div.Templates section might be "Defeats" and maybe next to the numbers in the "Won Combats" column and suggested "Defeats" column it could show the percentage out of the totals battles they fought in. For example, in the image above for the "Indian Divisions" under "Won Combats", it could say "21 (80.76%)". Or a "Win Factor" column for the divisions like the combat log already has for overall battles. Just 'something' so the player could calculate a template's worth at a glace.

Last edited:
Reactions:
While I understand people will always want more for nothing, I can't see a way how those detailed tabs would be considered necessary for the base game, or 'fixing' a fault by design/implementation (for which an argument could be made regarding the Blitz/Spearhead thing). It's extra information which is nice to have (and I'm quite sure I'll appreciate and use it), but it's anything but essential. Just because it's something you personally might really want doesn't make it so. Given it takes person-hours to produce and test, I can't see a sensible argument for having it as part of the paid DLC.

I actually agree with you on this point, but let me clarify my position.

The Blitz/Spearhead thing is probably the biggest point of contention I have seen in this DLC, and in my opinion I think a lot of the arguments that it is something that should have been introduced originally are legitimate.

My point about this particular addition (the extra detail on the statistics page,) is that from my perspective it doesn't seem like something that is a big enough addition to charge people for. The CK2 team add a huge amount of free content in each of their expansions, because in their opinion it makes sense and improves the base game. The stuff they actually charge you for is large expansions/developments in particular aspects of the game, such as entirely new mechanics.

From my perspective, it seems like the devs are just trying to fill in a relatively thin/weak DLC package by throwing in stuff like extra statistics pages and new combat manoeuvres, because it would be difficult to justify charging £12.99 for some national focuses. If they want to charge premium prices on the DLC, I want the content to be up to standard, not just a collection of things that maybe should have been included in the first place.

Reactions: