• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I would have agreed if people were angry over the selling of DLC before some features were patched into Stellaris, but complaining over the price, which is less than an hour of minimum wage in western countries? Give me a break, did you expect to spend less than a bottle of sparkle water from a vending machine?

Reactions:
I'll buy it eventually, but will hope for a sale price later on because I don't want to play as a Plantoid faction in the game (mainly because the ship designs aren't doing it for me). So it's a question of just seeding (ahem) the Galaxy with a bit more variety in the aliens I'll encounter. The 7.99 price is a bit much for that.

Any future cosmetic DLC will have the same issues. Do you want to play as them, or just add some visual variety in the Galaxy with zero impact on gameplay? I think that affects the cost/value ratio. I can't help but think that maybe a robot pack would have been a better first shot at this.

Reactions:
They've said in the past they decide whether or not to develop DLC based on well the previous ones sold. Considering the bad wrap the game gets I wouldb't be surprised if the first DLC will sell poorly.

Again, what world are you living in. This is one of the most popular Paradox games of all time. If not THE most popular Paradox game of all time. Bad rap? I think you're confused friend.

Reactions:
Again, what world are you living in. This is one of the most popular Paradox games of all time. If not THE most popular Paradox game of all time. Bad rap? I think you're confused friend.

We all know that its the vocal minority that the devs care about, not the actual sales duuuh.

EDIT: Easy with the victim complex now guys, its really getting out of hand.

Reactions:
Technically all ships have lots and lots of separate parts you build together in the ship designer.

Plantoids alone contains art at about 1/6th of the entire game.

IMHO, plantoids could have been priced at 19.99$ and have bern way worth it.

For half of the portraits who are reskin of older ones and a Groot portrait? Meh!

Last edited:
Reactions:
I think the price is fair ($8.79 in Canada)

The fact that the game itself is $43.99 Canadian and not $79.99 like every other major title on Steam leaves a lot of room for me to buy extras.

Reactions:
Don't buy it if you think it is too expensive. I won't buy it; possibly I will consider it during a sale.
It is as simple at that, no need to be outraged, I don't even see why is it necessary to start a thread over this.
Why did I start this thread? Because I have a belief, strange as it is, that when I buy a product that is a statement of faith in the producer. I do not blindly offer a blank check on that faith, however. Why does this cost more than most any other prior graphics dl c paradox has ever done? How does that add up? Are we entitled to that info? No, but it sure would help me have trust in their decision making if I am going to support them by buying this.

Reactions:
C'mon guys, it is the price of a cheap lunch. If you don't want it just don't buy it. If it really is only cosmetic skins and not gameplay features then what are you missing without it? It would be different if this was a major expansion with loads of content, but something like that would be more expensive anyway.

Reactions:
Why did I start this thread? Because I have a belief, strange as it is, that when I buy a product that is a statement of faith in the producer. I do not blindly offer a blank check on that faith, however. Why does this cost more than most any other prior graphics dl c paradox has ever done? How does that add up? Are we entitled to that info? No, but it sure would help me have trust in their decision making if I am going to support them by buying this.

You made a thread because you didnt buy a product, do you have time to do anything else during your day?

Reactions:
Are a few reasons for the backlash that you seem to have overlooked or ignored.
  1. Price - this is quite obvious. I would buy without much consideration at $1-3, some deliberation at $5, but $8 is just too much. The argument about man hours is valid from the devs POV, but it ignores how much enjoyment I get from the pack AND what else is available in the market at the same price.
  2. Recent support - perhaps if the devs hadn't released a buggy patch before taking a month of leave the community would be more receptive. As it is you've set yourself up against a mob with pitchforks and came bearing an upsale rather than a peace offering after your hiatus. This shows a very rudimentary understanding of community management.
  3. Style - I like most of the portraits, and the stations are OK, but the ships look awful in my opinion. The leafs of their side looks like such a half-assed way to make a plantoid spaceship.
Your given the community a ultimatum about graphic DLC pricing. It's probably also a good time for your team to consider how it interacts with the community to reduce these kinds of frictions, lest your *investment* sour years before you can reap the full benefit.

Rebuttle

1. You're quite cheap. $7.99 is the price of a meal from Taco Bell or Mcdonalds. It's worth adding a few plants to my game.

2. You don't speak for the community, I'm the community as much as you are, and I don't see where you get buggy from. 1.1 and 1.2 both addressed a lot of issues, added new content, and didn't break the game. 1.3 is doing the same. All are free. And they owe you a peace offering? They're working their asses off on a game you bought making it better for free every month and they still OWE you?

3. There's no accounting for taste. It's obvious they put quite a bit of effort into the style though. The ships are new models, not reskins. If you don't like it, that's on you.

Edit: and they considering how they interact with the community? They interact with me just fine. It's entitled individuals like you who are criticizing everything they do for reasons you seem to make up out of thin air that need to work on their people skills. You need to work on how ou interact with the devs.

Like seriously... These devs are already miles ahead of others who don't even TALK to their community

Reactions:
Rebuttle

1. You're quite cheap. $7.99 is the price of a meal from Taco Bell or Mcdonalds. It's worth adding a few plants to my game.

2. You don't speak for the community, I'm the community as much as you are, and I don't see where you get buggy from. 1.1 and 1.2 both addressed a lot of issues, added new content, and didn't break the game. 1.3 is doing the same. All are free. And they owe you a peace offering? They're working their asses off on a game you bought making it better for free every month and they still OWE you?

3. There's no accounting for taste. It's obvious they put quite a bit of effort into the style though. The ships are new models, not reskins. If you don't like it, that's on you.

Don't disagree with the general gist of your post, but as a side note 1.3 did actually break the game for mac users like myself. We're waiting on a hot fix as we speak.

Reactions:
If we just go about "manmonths spent" and compare to pricing we've done previously on other games, then 7.99$ is extremely cheap..

If 7.99$ does not work as a price point for a species pack with new ships, stations etc, then I doubt we'll ever make another..

Woah wait a minute there. Are you seriously trying to tell me that this DLC took as much time as past DLCs in past games such as EU IV, CK 2, etc. which brought on new events, new game mechanics, took a month or more of balancing and knocking out bugs in the code, and sold for about 10$ (tha'ts 2$ more htan this BTW) is equivalent?

So you're telling me it took your entire dev team a month to put this joke together, when I see modders on steam put completely unique ships, and races into the game in a matter of a week with only 1 person, and that's including having a job that's not about actually working on this game... What are the rest of you doing? Working on making the next update I'd imagine, and hope.

You're either telling me the Stellaris team is about the most incompetent group of wannabe devs on the market, and have no clue wtf they're actually doing, or you're straight up lieing to me.

Then again.. looking at the Asimov update and how bad that broke the game, and it taking literally 2 steps backwards in terms of gameplay and experience, and how long its taking to bring out the next DLC for Stellaris when you already had the next batch of DLCs planned well in advance...

Or perhaps lawls.. you're finding out just how horrible you actually made Stellaris in terms of modding, and are running into the rampant problems all the modders are and the janky backwards way you programmed half the game to work...

Never mind my question was answered.

Reactions:
Where as for Stellaris the the production looks more like

-Create fifteen new 2D images capable of small amounts of movement without tearing

-Now make a new corvette model

-Now make a new destroyer model

-Now make a new cruiser model

-Now make a new battleship model

-Now make a new transport model

-Now make a new construction ship model

-Now make a new science ship model

-Now make a new colony ship model

-Now make a new space station model

-Now make a new mining station model

-Now make a new terraforming station model

-Now make a new observation post model

-Now make a new wormhole station model

-Now make a new defense platform model

-Now make a new defense station model

-Now make a new fortress model

-Now make a new city background image

-Now make a new frontier outpost model

And presumable this is all from scratch or taking small shortcuts where they can.

So no, 5 to 10 bucks sounds about right.

And each of those combat ships needs MULTIPLE sections modeled so they'll fit together in any number of combinations/.

This puts it into context, actually. I was miffed beforehand, thinking it was only a couple of portraits and a few models. Now I think I'll happily buy it when payday comes around.

I think the $19 comment was a bit too far, but I can understand being proud of your work.

Reactions:
Maybe Johan is right, from his perspective. But alas, the value of a commodity is determined by how much the customer is willing to pay for it, not how much work you put in or how much a developer thinks of his work. If you priced a cosmetic DLC at $ 19.99, my prediction would be that you would make virtually no money out of it.

Especially since Stellaris is a strategy game. I would gladly pay $19.99 for any DLC enhancing the core mechanics of this game (which are, as has been repeatedly pointed out, somewhat simplistic due to an all too fast release). But graphics? I always thought that introducing 3D maps and other silly things to Paradox games was the start of the decline. ;) And while not everyone might agree with me common sense tells me that the key customer group of Paradox are people who enjoy the strategy part in "strategy game" more than the accompanying graphics.

Reactions:
Technically all ships have lots and lots of separate parts you build together in the ship designer.

Plantoids alone contains art at about 1/6th of the entire game.

IMHO, plantoids could have been priced at 19.99$ and have bern way worth it.
PFFFFFFT

Look, you cant just apply Labor Theory of Value as an excuse for high prices and expect everyone to sit back and take it.

Reactions: