• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 24th March 2016

Hello everyone and welcome to another development diary for Europa Univeralis IV. Today we’ll look at a few of new features available for those with the Mare Nostrum DLC.

Whether it’s 10 days or 10 years into a war, there are moments when you know deep down that there is no victory in sight. Currently you might have to wait for your enemy to siege down certain provinces and put your army at great risk before you are able to sign peace, or you are fighting another player who is more interested than your total destruction than simple terms. For these moments, we have added an Unconditional Surrender button.

1.jpg

Upon offering unconditional surrender, all of your currently unoccupied provinces will fall under enemy control and your enemy will gain 100% warscore. Your armies in your own provinces will become exiled and unable to fight in future battles until peace is signed. For the recipient of an unconditional surrender, you will be alerted of your enemy’s surrender and from then on will be able to enforce any possible peace up to 100% warscore cost. If you do not sign peace, then after a couple months you will get Call For Peace giving you monthly war exhaustion which increases faster than normal. The peace you offer will automatically be accepted by the surrendering nation.

For the time being, the AI does not offer unconditional surrender. They will however, gladly accept them.

2.jpg

If you find yourself so busy crushing your enemies to the point of Unconditional Surrender that you have neglected to explore the world around you, Mare Nostrum also bring a new option to the table by way of the Map Share feature.

3.jpg

Map sharing is a new diplomatic action. If you have good relations with a nation who has discovered land which you have not, you can request that they share their maps of a region with you. This will cost you a lump sum of 15 prestige of which 10 will be granted to the kind sharing nation. Colonizing nation are greedy and will not want to share but nations who share a common foe may be more willing to share.

If asking nicely is simply not your thing, you can take the shady path and swipe the maps. It will require the Espionage idea group and cost a moderate amount of Spy Network points, but you will be able to steal the maps right from under their noses.

4.jpg

Stay tuned for more information next week

Mare Nostrum will be available on April 5th for €14:99

Reactions:
It's a bummer that you guys couldn't figure out a way to get the AI to intelligently offer unconditional surrender when they are completely defeated, though I'm sure this may have been difficult to code.
The problem as I have seen it, is that the player will happily negotiate before the war is definitely over. The AI seems unwilling to do so.

Reactions:
It's a bummer that you guys couldn't figure out a way to get the AI to intelligently offer unconditional surrender when they are completely defeated, though I'm sure this may have been difficult to code.
I'm sure it will be coded for a future patch.

The problem as I have seen it, is that the player will happily negotiate before the war is definitely over. The AI seems unwilling to do so.
I just mean once the war is clearly over, i.e. almost all of their armies have been destroyed and a majority of their country is already controlled by the enemy. It would save us from having to siege down those last few provinces just to get the 100% war score.

Reactions:
I just mean once the war is clearly over, i.e. almost all of their armies have been destroyed and a majority of their country is already controlled by the enemy. It would save us from having to siege down those last few provinces just to get the 100% war score.
I understand. But there's no time restriction at least. If you're bored finishing the war you could always peace out earlier. There's no real way of doing that when you're losing a war, and the enemy refuses to negotiate until he's seized every last province.

I really like the maps part!! and the unconditional surrender is great for saving game time.

But to be honest the recipient should gain more map Prestige per 5 provinces and that knowledge should be Needed like water or Stolen like rum.

As the Lieutenant stated ''Knowledge is Power'' short video on how it actually worked HERE.

(6.50) if you have attention span of a Fruit Fly.

Last edited:
One question that arising the Stream on Tuesday. Are territories and states now based on areas rather than regions?

Jake said during the feature stream yesterday that states had been rebalanced to areas rather than regions and that you would have more available as such. The idea being that the player has more customisation over they're realm and what they wish to be seen as a core state within it.

Reactions:
Doesn't that already happen? I recently had a long drawn out war against Prussia/allies. Sieged down Prussia and was just starting on her allies when the calls for peace modifier popped up, the warscore jumped to 100% and Prussia had a 'we are totally beaten' modifier to any peace deal.

Reactions:
Doesn't that already happen? I recently had a long drawn out war against Prussia/allies. Sieged down Prussia and was just starting on her allies when the calls for peace modifier popped up, the warscore jumped to 100% and Prussia had a 'we are totally beaten' modifier to any peace deal.
No, that's because you had Prussia full-sieged. After 5 years of starting a war you only need to siege the war target to get 100% war score. Only in the first 5 years you need to siege all allies to get 100% warscore.

Reactions:
No, that's because you had Prussia full-sieged. After 5 years of starting a war you only need to siege the war target to get 100% war score. Only in the first 5 years you need to siege all allies to get 100% warscore.
Really? Never knew that. Nice to know I can just focus on the main target in the future though, thanks :)

a ding dang do!

Reactions:
You should consider having the AI offer unconditional surrender when it is losing a war at -100% warscore, it would prevent players from sitting on them for a few years and slowly wrecking their economy by encouraging the player into peace at 100%.

This.So Much this. the AI prefers to let wars last years even when they clearly have no hope. In addition all the max lv free forts make some wars , that should be fast if not immediate, a pain for even decades.

PS i maybe interpreted wrong , AI should offer the unconditional surrender even before -100 , when it's clearly impossible for them to win

Reactions:
With the new Map Stealing, has the time to spread discovery of sea provinces (defaults to 25 years) and land provinces (defaults to 50 years) been rebalanced? It would seem to be required, otherwise this will just speed up an already too-fast Age of Discovery.

Reactions:
A feature that will hardly be used. Usually when a player would be willing to take a 100% warscore loss, he just rage quits and starts over. And the AI hasn't got enough 'I' to use this feature.
The map thing... Meh... Kind of useless imo.

Then the €14,99 tag... I pass. Just as i did with Cossacks.

Reactions:
If anything, Unconditional Surrender makes the game harder. And with "the game" I mean getting a salt trophy after a dev MP.

(Because if I recall correctly, the whole salt thing started with @Da9L getting salty about people trying to peace him and France out for 100%... each. The fact that this becomes harder to do in MP is an... interesting change in my opinion.)

Reactions: