• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 24th March 2016

Hello everyone and welcome to another development diary for Europa Univeralis IV. Today we’ll look at a few of new features available for those with the Mare Nostrum DLC.

Whether it’s 10 days or 10 years into a war, there are moments when you know deep down that there is no victory in sight. Currently you might have to wait for your enemy to siege down certain provinces and put your army at great risk before you are able to sign peace, or you are fighting another player who is more interested than your total destruction than simple terms. For these moments, we have added an Unconditional Surrender button.

1.jpg

Upon offering unconditional surrender, all of your currently unoccupied provinces will fall under enemy control and your enemy will gain 100% warscore. Your armies in your own provinces will become exiled and unable to fight in future battles until peace is signed. For the recipient of an unconditional surrender, you will be alerted of your enemy’s surrender and from then on will be able to enforce any possible peace up to 100% warscore cost. If you do not sign peace, then after a couple months you will get Call For Peace giving you monthly war exhaustion which increases faster than normal. The peace you offer will automatically be accepted by the surrendering nation.

For the time being, the AI does not offer unconditional surrender. They will however, gladly accept them.

2.jpg

If you find yourself so busy crushing your enemies to the point of Unconditional Surrender that you have neglected to explore the world around you, Mare Nostrum also bring a new option to the table by way of the Map Share feature.

3.jpg

Map sharing is a new diplomatic action. If you have good relations with a nation who has discovered land which you have not, you can request that they share their maps of a region with you. This will cost you a lump sum of 15 prestige of which 10 will be granted to the kind sharing nation. Colonizing nation are greedy and will not want to share but nations who share a common foe may be more willing to share.

If asking nicely is simply not your thing, you can take the shady path and swipe the maps. It will require the Espionage idea group and cost a moderate amount of Spy Network points, but you will be able to steal the maps right from under their noses.

4.jpg

Stay tuned for more information next week

Mare Nostrum will be available on April 5th for €14:99

Reactions:
For the time being, the AI does not offer unconditional surrender. They will however, gladly accept them.

I think the chance of AI offering this before the end of EU4 lifecycle is nil, because to allow that would require AI be capable of thinking on their own which is currently impossible unless we somehow developed sentient AI before then.

Otherwise, all of these features sounds good to me. Also, it is usually customary to tell us what will be in next week's dev diary... this hasn't been done in last 3 dev diaries including this one, I believe. A policy change? :X

Reactions:
If you find yourself so busy crushing your enemies to the point of Unconditional Surrender that you have neglected to explore the world around you, Mare Nostrum also bring a new option to the table by way of the Map Share feature.
No more automatic region discovery?

My problem with unconditional surrender is that the ai pads their peace deals with return cores and release nations if they have warscore beyond their interests. Unlike annexing territory this causes the victim to lose their cores which in all honestly i would be willing to fight for till 100%. Time I usually have in spades, admin points quite the opposite.

Beyond that, it doesn't even solve the problem that the ai won't accept your peacedeal until it accepts way more than you ask for (assuming you don't need 100%).

Reactions:
Unconditional surrender is a godsend for multiplayer if you want to carry on, if someone feels completely beaten they should be able to decide when that is not the aggressor. I don't know whether it will encourage people to stay in a game rather than disconnecting after clicking it though especially if the other player takes a 100% peace. It feels like revanchism was supposed to resolve this problem and hasn't worked.

Reactions:
I hope the AI actually suffers from the effects of Call for Peace now, since that seems to be the whole point of surrendering to them.

Reactions:
A few small features, that I most likely personally won't be using much, but that are nice options to have ingame!

Reactions:
That's the point of the call for peace penalty to players who want to just sit on the enemy.

The way they said, "For the time being" was kind of leading me to believe that they could try and patch the AI to be able to use it in the future.

I think the chance of AI offering this before the end of EU4 lifecycle is nil, because to allow that would require AI be capable of thinking on their own which is currently impossible unless we somehow developed sentient AI before then.

Otherwise, all of these features sounds good to me. Also, it is usually customary to tell us what will be in next week's dev diary... this hasn't been done in last 3 dev diaries including this one, I believe. A policy change? :X

You do not need sentience from the AI in order to give it a better heuristic on when to stop throwing away resources.

The dated kludge that is "length of war" should not survive to the end of EU IV, it's one of the most damaging aspects of core gameplay. Few things shackle the AI worse.

From a design perspective, regency councils are probably worse, but from a "this damages every game to a degree without exception" perspective, the AI's peace logic is a glaring issue. Nations in the process of being sieged with no units on their side of the war will conclude that "nope, won't peace out for white peace cuz not long enough". That goes against developers' advice to rookie players, basic logic, and AI resource management.

What conditions would be appropriate for AI surrendering unconditionally? First, we need the AI to evaluate based on better modifiers at all. -44% war score with 2 regiments is not a situation where the AI should refuse white peace!

Reactions:
The hardest thing with implementing peace without the "length of war" contributor is preventing free grabs from players. That is, once you learn under what conditions the AI will unconditionally surrender, you can just watch for when an enemy AI has been obliterated in a different war, then declare yourself to get free stuff (or immediately after they peace out but before they've rebuilt their armies, for instance). Sure you can still pile on, but currently at least you do have to waste some time and resources going through the motions to collect your spoils.

It's a solvable problem, but it isn't trivial to make the solution comprehensive with no room for loopholes.

Reactions:
Is there an option to force an enemy to give up their maps to you as a war reparation?

This would be great. @DDRJake

The game should be Kingdoms who don't have exploration ideas.. don't have explorers.. dont explore..no discoveries. simple..

then obviously to counter balance that have like this gentleman stated maps as war reparations,Via networking like allies/diplomacy purchasing of maps for access to 'discovery'. And the Great Espionage Ideas which is a counter to exploration/information ideas paradox is adding the stealing maps.

If paradox goes down this path would be sweet!!

Last edited:
you can just watch for when an enemy AI has been obliterated in a different war, then declare yourself to get free stuff (
Like the AI does now?

Reactions: