• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 28th January 2016

Hello everyone, today we’ll start talking about 1.16 and what it will contain. The development team is busy working on 1.15.1 at the same time, which we hope is out ASAP.

One of the fun part of working on the Europa Universalis series over the last decade has been the constant evolvement of the map. Today we’re proud to announce some of the map changes for 1.16, with a quick look of Europe.

Ireland in Crusader Kings II is known as tutorial island, as an entire game in itself. In EU so far, ireland have not been properly represented, and more been shown as poor as it became after a long time of english rule. Now Ireland is richer in 1444, and not just a quick conquest for England within 5 years. Ireland also have 9 provinces, where it had five before, and several new interesting nations to play.

1hwBi0H.jpg

We’ve also tweaked the map to better borders and provinces in Hungary, and I hope you’ll enjoy this setup.
d8RKV3E.jpg

We also made a complete overhaul of how cultures work to remove the ties to language, and tie them more together to similar cultures, to create more historically plausible countries and relations.

DxJVBOu.jpg

Now, for some community fun, try to find as many changes on the map compared to 1.15 in this screenshot and list below!

mEHgjG4.jpg

Next week I’m back talking about a new concept that is getting in the game for 1.15, which can be seen in the topbar on these screenshoys.

Reactions:
Hello everyone, today we’ll start talking about 1.16 and what it will contain. The development team is busy working on 1.15.1 at the same time, which we hope is out ASAP.

One of the fun part of working on the Europa Universalis series over the last decade has been the constant evolvement of the map. Today we’re proud to announce some of the map changes for 1.16, with a quick look of Europe.

Ireland in Crusader Kings II is known as tutorial island, as an entire game in itself. In EU so far, ireland have not been properly represented, and more been shown as poor as it became after a long time of english rule. Now Ireland is richer in 1444, and not just a quick conquest for England within 5 years. Ireland also have 9 provinces, where it had five before, and several new interesting nations to play...

Is there any chance that Scotland might be graced with an extra province or two? As it is, that giant 'Highlands' province is a little simplistic, I think. It would be great if it could be divided into one or two new provinces, e.g. into Moray and Argyll; or Moray, Argyll and Ross. And it would also be good if Argyll had a land-bridge to Ulster.

It's a fairly minor change, but it would make the strategic situation in Scotland just a little bit more interesting (and also more realistic).

Reactions:

Ireland in Crusader Kings II is known as tutorial island, as an entire game in itself. In EU so far, ireland have not been properly represented, and more been shown as poor as it became after a long time of english rule. Now Ireland is richer in 1444, and not just a quick conquest for England within 5 years. Ireland also have 9 provinces, where it had five before, and several new interesting nations to play.

1hwBi0H.jpg

We’ve also tweaked the map to better borders and provinces in Hungary, and I hope you’ll enjoy this setup.
d8RKV3E.jpg

We also made a complete overhaul of how cultures work to remove the ties to language, and tie them more together to similar cultures, to create more historically plausible countries and relations.

DxJVBOu.jpg

Now, for some community fun, try to find as many changes on the map compared to 1.15 in this screenshot and list below!

mEHgjG4.jpg

Next week I’m back talking about a new concept that is getting in the game for 1.15, which can be seen in the topbar on these screenshoys.
Great changes, slovak was added right, also transylvanian culture? Cool.
It's also nice that russian has been broken up into muscovite and novgorodian, not sure if it's justified but it's certainly good for balance issues.
One thing though and considering who I am and what this dev diary is about I think you can guess what I am about to say.

Change westphalian to low saxon please!

Oh and have you reworked accepted cultures? My reccomendation is that it should be a certain percentage of your primary culture rather than a percentage of your entire country. With some sort of penatly if your primary culture is too small.

Reactions:
I would prefer the Hungarian (=Magyar) and Slovak cultures rather to be in the Western Slavic culture group, instead of its own Carpathian culturegroup together with Romanian. Historically Poland and Bohemia have shared multiple kings with Hungary and their culture had greater influence on Hungarian than with Romanian.

I know the principle playability before historical accuracy, but i feel this change is in order to try to effect how AI and players expand within same culturegroup, instead of fun.

I'm not expert on the topic, but i guess it is similar with Turkish culture. If you would like to include it into another nearby culturegroup, it would be more historically accurate to include into the Greek group, than with the Arab. I'm more or less sure that the Greek/Byzantine culture had greater influence on Turkish than the Arab culture. (I'm not sure in this though.)

+1 on the map changes. And please make CK2 map and EU4 maps look more similar. When I'm importing a game I definetly would like to see the same division of provinces in both games.

Reactions:
Not liking the return of Turkish to the Arabic group, it makes absolutely no sense historically, culturally or linguistically, and the Turks were already strong enough
also, what the hell is "Ryazanian"? What's next, 3 Danish cultures? England split up in 4 cultures?
Really hope that culture and cultural acceptance gets changed soon, because with all these increasingly small cultures it's getting impossible to keep anything accepted past mid-game

Reactions:
Also, Impressment was a thing and a pretty big deal as it was abused especially by the English/British.

Completely forgot about that! It would be fun to be able to force other nations' sailors to do your bidding. Maybe a new casus belli against the one impressing your soldiers.

If it is naval manpower, they probably want to emphasize naval warfare and probably buff naval powers.

It's one thing to give a dolt a pike or a musket and an entirely different thing to turn him into a sailor.

I do hope it's some sort of naval resource that requires specific naval-only ideas and actions so that a blob without these ideas or actions cannot really compete on the high seas. Huge naval force limits should not allow your fleet to beat a competent navy.

Doesn't the manpower pool only show the eligible men in your country who can be trained for your military? I don't think it specifies that they are men bred for the army :). I would think it shows the pool of untrained men, military age, so it could be for army or navy.

So you think there should be more quality over quantity for the navy? It does seem that my 100 ship navy, never fought a day in its life, with an incompetent general, can easily wipe out a 50 ship navy from a seafaring nation with a decent general.

Reactions:
I appreciate the changes, guys.

While we are on cultures, please do some spell correction. There is no such word "Byelorussian" in English language. The culture that you mean is called "Belarusian".

Reactions:
But like i said Turkish culture should be with the Greek or Persian culture but certainly not with Arabs.
Persians is way better than arabs historically with turks, but I feel for the sake of gameplay, It's best to Make anatolian with currient Byzantine cultures + Turks, and leave persians, kurds and azerbaijani as their own group.

Reactions:
The strange "0%" makes me think that the new value will be about officers rather than naval combat : I can easily imagine a system in which having too much officers would make you spend monarch points, but it wouldn't be 1 MP by officer. You could have more than 1, 2 or 5 officers depending on the size of your country. This percentage could then be changed by various modifiers.

Reactions:
Persians is way better than arabs historically with turks, but I feel for the sake of gameplay, It's best to Make anatolian with currient Byzantine cultures + Turks, and leave persians, kurds and azerbaijani as their own group.
Of course i personally would rather like to see an "Anatolian" culture group with Pontic,Greek;Gothic and Turkish.
The whole Turko-Semitic thing is such bullshit in various degrees which is so far from the truth that it hurts.
The only thing Turks in that time period had in common with Arabs was their religion.
The government,the culture and history was more in common with Greeks and Persians.

Reactions:
Why karelian culture in slavic group? It should be in finno-uralic.

Oh, and please make one of the russian cultures (for 1444 it'd be muscovian i guess though initially it was novgorodian) primary culture of Perm principality. Provinces may still have uralic culture though it'd be better to rename it to komi.

Why? French, germans and other big cultures are also divided regionally. I think it's ok, regional differences really existed before XX century.

Grand duchy of Moscow made great expansion in short time. How could they convert so big territories in they own culture? There is only one nation, one language, one faith and one state. German, Italian and many others cultures really have serious differences, have many old and different states, but Russian isn't. All Russian states was duchy rank and all of their people considered they country as one, literally "Rus' ". And this land NEVER have separatism or rising by culture differences. If we will talk honestly, why Smolensk or Kursk should have Ryazanian culture? When Grand duchy of Ryazan owned this territories? When he spread it's own culture there?

I wish Novgorod could get some quality-based military NIs buff, so that in MP players could choose between quantity-loaded Muscovy and quality-related Novgorod.

Really? I thought it's Grand duchy of Moscow won because of quality. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Shelon
And I suppose Muscovy should get buff on quality, even if it's quantity will nerfed.

P.S.
Also this is only one example, when they call CULTURE by the CITY NAME. BeloRUSSIAN culture still the same, but original RUSSIAN has disappeared, that's weird.

Last edited:
Reactions: