• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This frankly is a stain on Aragon, I call for the expulsion of the man who called for a fine to be levied on this traitor. He would allow a man to attack your family and get off with nothing more than a fine.
((I call for Dreumel to be thrown off the small council))

Niccolo Limmona walked into the court and made a speech on the matter of tolerance, something he was very proud of:

Tolerance is the way forward, and what's more. Christ himself was tolerant of all, and as good Christians we should endeavour to follow in his steps and "love thy neighbour as thy love thyself" and this is how we should treat all other Christians as Christians first and foremost. Have we ever had any heretic insurrections? Have they ever rebelled against his Majesty and any of the predecessors? No, instead it was "loyal" and "true" Catholics who have caused the most trouble for our great and benevolent kingdom. Was the bastard of centuries prior a heretic or a Catholic? Did his loyalty to the Pope prevent him from trying to tear our kingdom apart? Was it not intolerance of the Orthodox that lead to envious and power hungry Greek nobles to utilise their persecution into their armies when they rebelled?

Tolerance will not solve all our problems, but it will solve some. God does not actively guide anyone least of all men. Morever did Christ or the Archangels and Seraphim above ever discuss the results of the Ecumenical Councils of Nikaea? Who is to say that a future council of the faith would not retroactively call us heretics, would God cast us and all prior Christians to this theoretical convent to Hell? God knows his own, and everyone that follows Christ and the Father are Christians, even if they spurn the Pontifex Maximus.

I will now read some passages from my personal Bible, and you may see that they advocate tolerance as a means of persuasion to the true faith, not persecution.

As you can see, these verses, from both Testaments all proclaim tolerance even for those who are different, with many proclaiming that the only requirement for heavenly salvation is that one follows Christ in words and deeds. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that one is a sinner or doomed to damnation if one does not follow the Pontifex Maximus.

Everything disaster in our recent history can be traced to some form of heresy and disrespect for the Church. The Bastard and his supporter attempted to overturn the sanctity of marriage and the succession order approved by the Church. Every assassination attempt was devised by a heretic or heretic sympathizer. The rebellions in Byzantium were all initiated by Orthodox heretics.

This frankly is a stain on Aragon, I call for the expulsion of the man who called for a fine to be levied on this traitor. He would allow a man to attack your family and get off with nothing more than a fine.
((I call for Dreumel to be thrown off the small council))

JpsioAG.png

It is oddly suspicious and has troubled me somewhat. A fine for attempted murder is unacceptable. I shall inform him immediately that he will no longer serve as treasurer.

- His Majesty, Ferran IV de Trastámara, King of Hispania and Protector of the Greeks & the Knights

JpsioAG.png

I'm afraid that I must remove you from the position of treasurer, which I shall be forced to assume in the meantime. I fear that your ties to the TATC are being put ahead of your loyalty to the Crown, as shown by your decision to fine an attempted murderer who so happens to be your boss. Your position as court merchant shall not be rescinded though, so you shall continue to serve the Crown in that capacity.

- His Majesty, Ferran IV de Trastámara, King of Hispania and Protector of the Greeks & the Knights

In a dignified yet energetic move, Prince Ferrante takes to the stand during the Synod's proceedings . His eyes roam around the room making contact with Valazquez's and then Limmona's. With a deep breath he begins.

ZNfNFMT.png

Lords and Ladies of the court, bishops and burgers, mayors and Knights,

I will admit that I did not expect this day to come so soon, that my arrival and simple request for tolerance would create such strife. I returned to Hispania for my birthright and to one day have a child to pass that on to. I only wished to settle down and make a family. I came, bruised by a needless German war, expecting to find peace and serenity amongst my fellow hispanians. However, maybe it was my liberal raising or my time away from home, I miscalculated deeply.

Instead of just a simple recognition that I am a Christain like yourself I received a Mohammedan's treatment. The Inquisition hounds me, watching my every move while I sit here listening to insults upon insults piling upon my damaged honor and name. No longer will I be silent.

My grandfather, the eminent Vice Chancellor Modena, once wrote that if the Roman Church was to survive, rotten flesh would have to be removed in order for the healing to begin. When I became a apostate these words rang true in my heart of hearts as I was baptized. "Finally, the healing can begin so that I may truly see the lord." Among the assembled are great Catholic reformers. His eminence the Camerlengo, his eminence the vice chancellor, and even the supreme pontiff of the Roman Church. I say time for peaceful reform has long past. For centuries the Roman church has wallowed in its own secular decadence without concern for the souls of many. The only way Holy mother church can save herself is by accepting the ideas of the greatest movement of our time:The Protestant Reformation.

If the Roman Chuch wants a solution for corrupt bishops, look no further than the system in place in parts of England and Scotland. If it yearns for guidance on how to convey the divine without idolatry look to the chapels of Switzerland and Ravensburg. If the church needs money but doesn't want to institute indulgences once more, observe the charity of the Protestant faithful. All the reforms are already in front of you if you only look fast this veil of "heresy."

So, my neighbors, do not be fooled into ignorance. Together in tolerance we could build a great unified nation unlike the world has ever seen, save the Roman Church, and be a beacon of light in the darkness of the barbaric world. It is up to you my friends to determine in the future of Hispania is hope, or dogmatic despair.

-Prince Ferrante

((Sorry for any typos, wrote this on the move.:)))

Everything disaster in our recent history can be traced to some form of heresy and disrespect for the Church. The Bastard and his supporter attempted to overturn the sanctity of marriage and the succession order approved by the Church. Every assassination attempt was devised by a heretic or heretic sympathizer. The rebellions in Byzantium were all initiated by Orthodox heretics.

It appears to you that all sins are heresy?

After all the Bastard committed a sin in trying to claim the Throne and Crown himself, but is it the not the duty of all Christians to help people over come their sins and not persecute them for the failings. After all, some failings are momentary and these people deserve to be helped and not branded a heretic. "Love your neighbour, as you love yourself"

And if you had read my speech truly, Cast Cardinal, you would see that while I did not claim the Greek rebellions were Catholics, I merely pointed out that the leader of the rebellion was motivated more by a wish to claim the title of Autokrator and Basileus than his Orthodox faith. He abused the heretics and used their persecution to further his own agenda and that is why we must be tolerant. Who knows what knave could abused the masses we currently oppress to form an army as the leaders of the Greek rebellion did?

I also think the Bible verses I quoted are new to you, after all you seem unable to refute the canonical and theological basis for tolerance!

It appears to you that all sins are heresy?

After all the Bastard committed a sin in trying to claim the Throne and Crown himself, but is it the not the duty of all Christians to help people over come their sins and not persecute them for the failings. After all, some failings are momentary and these people deserve to be helped and not branded a heretic. "Love your neighbour, as you love yourself"

And if you had read my speech truly, Cast Cardinal, you would see that while I did not claim the Greek rebellions were Catholics, I merely pointed out that the leader of the rebellion was motivated more by a wish to claim the title of Autokrator and Basileus than his Orthodox faith. He abused the heretics and used their persecution to further his own agenda and that is why we must be tolerant. Who knows what knave could abused the masses we currently oppress to form an army as the leaders of the Greek rebellion did?

I also think the Bible verses I quoted are new to you, after all you seem unable to refute the canonical and theological basis for tolerance!

Velazquez writes back:

None of those quotes are relevant to the situation at hand, you fool. Jesus is not telling His followers that it is acceptable to tolerate heresy against the Lord. He is making a point about forgiveness of sins. Forgiving a sin is one thing, allowing a false religion in the kingdom is quite another.

Here is what the Bible has to say about heresy:

Exodus 20:3 --- Thou shalt have no other gods before me

1 Timothy 2:5 — For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus

2 Peter 2:1-22 --- But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction. And many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of truth will be blasphemed. And in their greed they will exploit you with false words. Their condemnation from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep. For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to chains of gloomy darkness to be kept until the judgment; if he did not spare the ancient world, but preserved Noah, a herald of righteousness, with seven others, when he brought a flood upon the world of the ungodly; ...

1 John 4:1-3 --- Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you heard was coming and now is in the world already.

Nowhere in Scripture does it say it is permissible to follow a false faith.

We should heed the example of the Israelis. Many times had they neglected to follow the guidance of God, and many times they were crushed.

Cardinal Velazquez, I do not see how these quotes go against Duke Limmona's verses.
In each one, it is said that one shall not deny the one true god and Jesus Christ as his 'mediator'. Now tell me, in which way do the Protestants or Reformed deny this? They are not heathens.
No, these quotes are just proving Limmona's point of view.

Cardinal Velazquez, I do not see how these quotes go against Duke Limmona's verses.
In each one, it is said that one shall not deny the one true god and Jesus Christ as his 'mediator'. Now tell me, in which way do the Protestants or Reformed deny this? They are not heathens.
No, these quotes are just proving Limmona's point of view.

Luther was a false prophet.

Did God smile upon the Israelites when they chose to worship Him incorrectly? No, He punished them.

Did God smile upon the Israelites when they chose to worship Him incorrectly? No, He punished them.
((Private))
"Do we really worship a God that kills us in the millions? If everything that happens is God's will, hoe can we explain Ghengis Khan, the Black Death and Cardinal Velazquez? Why did God damn us with these three terrible things? What if God doesn't exist? What if, what if..." Jan thought.

Henri writes a short letter to the court
"I find the removal of Jan Pieterszoon van Antwerpen from the position of the Treasurer unfair and unjust. The only reason why he was supporting mearly a fine is because I threatened him. I'm willing to take full consequences of my actions and I ask to reinstate Jan Pieterszoon van Antwerpen as the Crown's Treasurer"

SHOCKING NEWS FROM THE TRANS-ATLANTIC TRADING COMPANY
A group of high official attempted to transfer the ownership of the company to an unknown person. Two councillors got cought fabricating documents that would end the Saint-Pierre family. The inviduals admited to being a part of an organized group, but refused to give any names. It is not know who would be the new owner, or who else was involved. What is known that one invidual knew about this coup and took action to stop it. The invidual attempting to overthrow the Saint-Pierre leaderships are to be fired from their positions and are to be placed in front of a court.

((Basically: @ThePatriotOfDreumel attempted to take over the ownership of TATC but he failed. He attempted to bribe three NPC council members. Two of them supported him, but one declined his offer and took actions to sabotage the coup. Dreumels involvment was not discovered, which cannot be said about his NPC co-conspirators ))​

Reactions:

Tell me where Luther claimed to be a prophet? And how are Protestant or Reformists following a false religion, as your scriptures mention. They still follow Christ and God, and it is the Christian faith and not the Papist faith? They are heretics who need to be tolerated and re-educated as fellow Christians and not people following a false prophet or religion.

He was a preacher of Christ, whether or not you agree with his teachings neither he nor any of his followers ever claimed to him to be a prophet.

Really Cast Cardinal, do you even know anything about those you decry as heretics? You seem not to, I suggest you actually look into what these people actually said. Your misinformation on every topic makes you dangerous and stupid.

We must also not forget, that when things previously did not go the Iron Cardinal's way that he left the kingdom and refused to help it. Do we really want a man who is not truly loyal to our Kingdom and Crown to be lecturing us on our stability. The man knows nothing of the heretics as indicated by arguments, and nothing of loyalty as indicated by his lack thereof.

My Lords, Gentlemen, men far more learned than many of us here have debated the theological implications of heresy, of these specific heresies. They have found them dangerous and incompatible with the word of God and his one true Church. His Holiness, and his predecessors have spoken against these movements time and time again.

Indeed, I find it greatly disturbing that Lord Limmona appears to implicitly reject Papal Supremacy entirely in some of his statements. If self proclaimed Catholics are openly professing such views I can only find it regrettable that the Inquisition is disallowed to act at this gathering. Insidious heretics disguising themselves as loyal servants of the Crown and the True Faith in order to use this opportunity to argue in favour of tolerance is an abuse of His Majesty's good will in commanding a cessation to the Inquisitions activities.

Again and again those proponents of tolerance attempt to paint the Church as an agent of hatred, as a violent oppressor. Yet it is not so. Since the foul heresy reared it's head some fifty years passed the Inquisition has guided many thousands away from wrong beliefs, for fifty years it has preserved the stability and unity of His Majesty's realm. So why then do some continue to peddle this view? Their words sow discontent with the Holy Church, they provoke unrest against His Majesty's rule.

Sheep who have strayed from the flock must be saved. The inquisition has been successful in this since it's inception.

My Lords, Gentlemen, men far more learned than many of us here have debated the theological implications of heresy, of these specific heresies. They have found them dangerous and incompatible with the word of God and his one true Church. His Holiness, and his predecessors have spoken against these movements time and time again.

Indeed, I find it greatly disturbing that Lord Limmona appears to implicitly reject Papal Supremacy entirely in some of his statements. If self proclaimed Catholics are openly professing such views I can only find it regrettable that the Inquisition is disallowed to act at this gathering. Insidious heretics disguising themselves as loyal servants of the Crown and the True Faith in order to use this opportunity to argue in favour of tolerance is an abuse of His Majesty's good will in commanding a cessation to the Inquisitions activities.

Again and again those proponents of tolerance attempt to paint the Church as an agent of hatred, as a violent oppressor. Yet it is not so. Since the foul heresy reared it's head some fifty years passed the Inquisition has guided many thousands away from wrong beliefs, for fifty years it has preserved the stability and unity of His Majesty's realm. So why then do some continue to peddle this view? Their words sow discontent with the Holy Church, they provoke unrest against His Majesty's rule.

Sheep who have strayed from the flock must be saved. The inquisition has been successful in this since it's inception.

Please name these learned men, and where I can find them in the Bible? Did Christ or God ever speak of heresy and intolerance to fellow Christians in the Bible?

I never rejected Papal Supremacy, I merely pointed out that even with all its merits, Papal Supremacy is never codified or canonised in the Holy Bible. This is a truth and is important in the congress on Religious Tolerance. Not once has any member of the opposing party ever brought up sound theological evidence and yet they claim it exists. I bring Bible verses that show Jesus acting in a tolerant manner, and are "refuted" by irrelevant verses without message on tolerance of other Christians.

You speak of the Inquisition, but this too has no moral relevance or Biblical backing. More than anything the Inquisition is led by dark men, who pervert and twist all that is benevolent and beautiful in Christ's gospel and turn it into a tool of twisted hate and repression.

You claim me and then other supporters of tolerance are "insidious heretics", yet I ask how you have served His Majesty, that you can hope to make this bold claim. I have served His Majesty for a long time as General and as Marshal, can you say the same? I have fought these heretics in the field, and found they bled red all the same as loyal Catholics. I have served this Kingdom and smote it's enemies, while you have judged and criticised from the sidelines. You are not fit character to judge those who have served this kingdom loyally and long! Me and the other generals have all backed tolerance because we have fought the heretics ourselves and know them and their weaknesses better than you can hope to.

Sheep who have strayed from the flock must be saved, this is true. But they can be saved via acceptance and persuasion in the open, not daggers in the dark and burnings with the dawn.

Yet again the Lord resorts to baseless lies to defame the work of the Church. 'Daggers in the dark'? 'Burnings at dawn'? Such emotive nonsense has no place here. It is accusations of this nature that degrade your entire position. The Inquisition works in the plain light of day and works to save souls, not through acceptance which will merely encourage them in their ways, but by guiding them away from their errors.

Manuel looks as though he wants to answer the Duke's personal slurs, but his Mother kicks him and he sits back down.

Please name these learned men, and where I can find them in the Bible? Did Christ or God ever speak of heresy and intolerance to fellow Christians in the Bible?

I never rejected Papal Supremacy, I merely pointed out that even with all its merits, Papal Supremacy is never codified or canonised in the Holy Bible. This is a truth and is important in the congress on Religious Tolerance. Not once has any member of the opposing party ever brought up sound theological evidence and yet they claim it exists. I bring Bible verses that show Jesus acting in a tolerant manner, and are "refuted" by irrelevant verses without message on tolerance of other Christians.

You speak of the Inquisition, but this too has no moral relevance or Biblical backing. More than anything the Inquisition is led by dark men, who pervert and twist all that is benevolent and beautiful in Christ's gospel and turn it into a tool of twisted hate and repression.

You claim me and then other supporters of tolerance are "insidious heretics", yet I ask how you have served His Majesty, that you can hope to make this bold claim. I have served His Majesty for a long time as General and as Marshal, can you say the same? I have fought these heretics in the field, and found they bled red all the same as loyal Catholics. I have served this Kingdom and smote it's enemies, while you have judged and criticised from the sidelines. You are not fit character to judge those who have served this kingdom loyally and long! Me and the other generals have all backed tolerance because we have fought the heretics ourselves and know them and their weaknesses better than you can hope to.

Sheep who have strayed from the flock must be saved, this is true. But they can be saved via acceptance and persuasion in the open, not daggers in the dark and burnings with the dawn.

Not every doctrine is exactly stated in the Bible. Tradition is just as important as Faith.

You sound like a Protestant with your over reliance on scripture.

((Private-KF25))

His Holiness,

I recommend that you excommunicate the vile Limmona and his cronies for denying papal supremacy and sympathizing with heresy.

-Cardinal Velazquez

Yet again the Lord resorts to baseless lies to defame the work of the Church. 'Daggers in the dark'? 'Burnings at dawn'? Such emotive nonsense has no place here. It is accusations of this nature that degrade your entire position. The Inquisition works in the plain light of day and works to save souls, not through acceptance which will merely encourage them in their ways, but by guiding them away from their errors.

Manuel looks as though he wants to answer the Duke's personal slurs, but his Mother kicks him and he sits back down.

And have you ever looked into how the Inquisition "guides" these people? It is not with theology and persuasive techniques for sure.

You may believe that harsh measures are necessary and I wholeheartedly disagree, but do not lie about the Inquisition operates when you make that argument.

Later Limmona pens a letter to the young man he had be debating tolerance with:

Young man, no matter how much we disagree on matters to do with religion and theology, I must commend your bravery in speaking to the court on such an important issue and not hiding under and in your mothers shadow.

Whatever the outcome of this convention, I would just like to give you my respect(providing you accept it) for whatever trials you may face ahead.

He sends this letter secretly, taking care that the boy reads the letter first and not his mother.