• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Crown Recognition of Protestantism: Abstain
Crown Recognition of Reformed: Abstain

~Hernando Francsico de Leon, General of the Hispanian Armies (unlanded noble)

My grace,

This madness needs to stop, let us show the world what we are a shining beacon of peace and prosperity.

I vote YES to the crown recognition of protestantism.
I vote YES to the crown recognition of reformed.

Your loyal servant,

Ioannes de Alvaro, count of Sassari
Lux Tenebris Vincet

[Landed Noble, founded colony]

Cardinal Juan II de Soneta, Great Nephew to Pope Stephen X, Papal Legate under Pope Marcellus II states his views:

I am abhorred by the individual response here, although his holiness has allowed the "Prince" D'Este to stay in our Kingdom, this should not be a guidance. We have been proud in the past to call ourselves as a epicentre to the upholding of the True Faith, am I now to see that this court is merely a façade, that you all are supportive to this heretical reading of the scripture. My graces, of all classes, you hath turned from the Lord, and he shall be most displeased, may he be merciful in his judgement and I hope that you me repent your misgivings to him, before you are forever and cast into the eternal fire.

Vote
Crown recognition to Protestantism: NO
Crown recognition to Reformism: NO

Reactions:
Crown recognition to Protestantism: NO!!!!
Crown recognition to Reformism: NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The prince's near-assassination at the hands of heretic radicals shows that we cannot ever tolerate these beasts. Put them all to the sword and God shall know his own.

Aragon has become the greatest power in the world thanks to God's divine guidance. If we turn against Him then the kingdom shall lose all.

-Cardinal Velazquez

Crown Recognition of Protestantism: Yes
Crown Recognition of Reformed: Yes

To those who say that these heretics have turned from our lord, may I ask then why you damn them to Lucifer and Hell? Is it not the job of all true Christians to allow as many of our brethren to join the Lord himself and Christ in Heaven? If so then why should we damn people to Hell because the Papal zealots aren't willing to show people the compassion and love that Jesus preached for all. Even during the Crusades, more level headed minds than those of the vaunted Iron Bishop, who only used Hispania for Curia politics and left as soon as people rejected his hateful and non-Christworthy attitudes, the missionary orders then REQUIRED that any priest going on pilgrimage or Crusade have read the Qur'an. This shows that God has guided and shown people that the way to save people is to engage them in debate over time and prove them wron with words and scripture, not rhetoric as I see the Iron Cardinal never ceases to deviate from.

God will know his own, and no man on earth can hope to answer this matter for Christ is gone and the Father rules above. Did Jesus burn the Jews when they did not convert, or did he not treat them equally and persuade, not dissuade? If God is behind the Catholic's and Catholics only then why does he allow the Protestant and Reformed princes of the Empire to exist and why does he allow them to thrive?

Nicolo Limmona, Marshall and General of the Realm. Duke of Naples and Capua and Count of Salerno

((Landed Noble, Council Member, General))

Last edited:
myKh8vJ.png

'The plague that hit Hispania is divine punishment for not helping to defend the one and only true church.' This is certainly what the church will present here. Yet this can simply not be held true - Tuscany for example openly supports the Protestant movement despite being Catholic, and no such divine punishment has befallen them. So we have to ask - is it truly righteous to pursue other Christians?
We have spread the Word of the Lord to the New World, and to Africa. Heathens who, sometimes peacefully, sometimes violently saw the light. Yet heretics are Christians. Byzantium has been Orthodox for a long time, the Russians still are - yet were we, are we pursuing them for their ways? No, we have recognized the difference, and did our best to solve this discord with diplomacy. Diplomacy that succeeded with our protection of Byzantium. The Greek schism has been ended. But not without the violence of forcing the people to follow the Catholic beliefs. For a long time, the conversion weakened, almost destroyed the empire just after it had been strengthened. We almost couldn't contain that threat. Because their faith ripped apart the Empire from within, as with the assured conversion to us as protectors, there could be no further tolerance. Tolerance that worked marvellously before.
Now this situation is another, you might say. People are turning their backs on the church. But not towards God, as I might remember you. Few are adhering to these Reformed and Protestant faiths currently. But their number grows. Citizens of Hispania, contributing as much as any other to the economy and military of our noble kingdom. Should we oppress our own people? If they turn away from the church, it is not because they have been forced to - a decision they have made. Such a decision might be regrettable - but with the current persecution, it is one based on much thought. Not with weapons, but with arguments should these who have strain be brought back to the fold. Or we will have a situation like in Byzantium - with no protector to save us.
The movement can be compared in some ways to the Dutch rebellion - you can crush them militarily, but you cannot stop them for long. Marching through the reconquered cities, I have seen their merely concealed hate. This sight has a clear meaning. They will wait, then rise up again. Likewise the Protestants or Reformed - even more with the foreign support they are likely to get. Do we want to fight repetitive wars against our own people, wars avoidable with words?
Finally, have we not pledged ourselves to innovation? New thoughts, encouraged in the past by none other than His Majesty himself as he sided with a well-known philosopher. The church wanted to silence him. Innovation means to deal with new ideas, think them through before casting them aside or accepting them. We cannot call ourselves innovated if we dismiss new ideas where we don't want them.
It is also very typical of Cardinal Velazquez to blame the heretics for the assassination attempt on Prince Martí - without any evidence. Duke Limmona is a living example of how wrong such an accusation has been in the past. Is there any evidence? And what would they gain from such a murder? I certainly cannot see any motivation to murder a man that has done much good to the kingdom, without involving himself in this theological dispute. When he has recovered, the Prince might maybe tell us how to recognize a heretic blade if the Cardinal is right? That way, I might be ready for them should it come to a battle. A crucial advantage if you know your enemy's weaponry.

((Crown Recognition of Protestantism: Yes

General Louis Clément de Montségur, Duke of Trinacria
[Duke, General, Chamberlain]))

As Marshall, I would like to propose that;

4 units of Infantry are recruited, with Catalan troops being preferred due to their better accuracy.
2 units of Cavalry, recruited from the best nobles of the realm as only they can truly excel on horse.
1 unit of Artillery, recruited from Neapolitan stock, as Italians seem to be the best gunners with cannon in all my experience and reports.

These men are to be a Marshall's levy of sorts, they will be deployed to support any larger army that needs it, be it from savage revolts in the colonies or hostile armies in Europa. They are to be supervised by a man of my choosing promoted from the ranks, he is of minor noble stock from the heartlands of our Crown and Kingdom.

((OOC : This plan should read as recruit 4 infantry from Catalan provinces, 2 from Aragonese provinces and 1 from Neapolitan provinces. An NPC general should be recruited and these units should form their own sub-division. They should be pseudo-attached to larger armies where Michael thinks they are needed.))

To those who say that these heretics have turned from our lord, may I ask then why you damn them to Lucifer and Hell? Is it not the job of all true Christians to allow as many of our brethren to join the Lord himself and Christ in Heaven? If so then why should we damn people to Hell because the Papal zealots aren't willing to show people the compassion and love that Jesus preached for all. Even during the Crusades, more level headed minds than those of the vaunted Iron Bishop, who only used Hispania for Curia politics and left as soon as people rejected his hateful and non-Christworthy attitudes, the missionary orders then REQUIRED that any priest going on pilgrimage or Crusade have read the Qur'an. This shows that God has guided and shown people that the way to save people is to engage them in debate over time and prove them wron with words and scripture, not rhetoric as I see the Iron Cardinal never ceases to deviate from.

God will know his own, and no man on earth can hope to answer this matter for Christ is gone and the Father rules above. Did Jesus burn the Jews when they did not convert, or did he not treat them equally and persuade, not dissuade? If God is behind the Catholic's and Catholics only then why does he allow the Protestant and Reformed princes of the Empire to exist and why does he allow them to thrive?

Nicolo Limmona, Marshall and General of the Realm. Duke of Naples and Capua and Count of Salerno

((Landed Noble, Council Member, General))

Velazquez writes a public letter to Limmona

There is only one God and one true faith.

Religion is not politics. The spiritual cannot be compromised, it cannot be bought, it cannot be traded, it cannot be altered, it cannot be elected. God sent His son to make one church: holy, catholic, and aposolic. Anything faith apart is a direct violation of God's will. Protestants are no better than Mohammedans who made up their own faith to satisfy their own bloodlust and sin.

Either Aragon embraces righteousness or sin. There are no half-measures.

Reactions:
Velazquez writes a public letter to Limmona

There is only one God and one true faith.

Religion is not politics. The spiritual cannot be compromised, it cannot be bought, it cannot be traded, it cannot be altered, it cannot be elected. God sent His son to make one church: holy, catholic, and aposolic. Anything faith apart is a direct violation of God's will. Protestants are no better than Mohammedans who made up their own faith to satisfy their own bloodlust and sin.

Either Aragon embraces righteousness or sin. There are no half-measures.

Ferrante whispers to Kristoffel who jumps up at the synod and declares:

Cassano Valazquez, dog of the Curia and tainter of God's truth, answer these arguments! You say that religion isn't politics and I agree. However that is rich coming from the member of a body of men that benefit from the political power their positions bring. Also, since when has the decedent Curia given up the idea of a restored Papal State. Papal STATE, the very name declares politics and misuse of power.

You cry to the heavens "The spiritual cannot be compromised!" Oh? So the encyclicals, Papal Bulls, decrees, edicts, letters, and declarations of the Roman church on what a Christian is aren't compromises? The idea that man can accurately discern the divine isn't a compromise? The only truth is the truth of the word of God, not the corrupt spewings of a lecherous sodomite.

"The spiritual cannot be bought"? Tell that to the masses of the poor of Europe who waited at the door of the Catholic Church for days to receive indulgences, or for a glimpse of the finger of St.Wenceslaus, only for there savings to be taken away in exchange for a slip of temporal paper stating that the would have salvation. Rome is built on the backs of the poor who bought the spiritual from your money grubbing church. "The Spiritual cannot be bought"? Declare that to the endless parade of art and architecture bought by your church with the money of the poor in order to depict the spiritual. Idolatry! Blasphemy! Depravity! All follow your church, it's saints, and your head Pharisee the Whore of Rome.

People of the realm,

Hear ye the truth of the lord.

There is no truth but the word God, incarnate in our lord Jesus, the risen Christ, and in the holy bible. We live to serve the vision of the great divine will and for no other reason. All that the church as built for hundreds of years only separates you from the divine truth. No priest can tell you what God demands of you, only almighty heaven.

Crown Recognition of Protestantism:Yea
Crown Recognition of Reformed:YEA

Reactions:

Some may remember the Tolerance act from many years ago, which failed. Very few voted for it, myself included. My original vote was for it, but I was threatened by a prominent member of the Clergy. All can infer his identity. I changed, and I advocated against it to another man, a noble who voted for the act. I wanted to save him from the corrupt Inquisition, which had a lot more power back then. But he made me realize that if we wanted change, we had to be willing to die for it. The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church. So I changed my vote, and I believe it has earned me the eternal hatred of a man of god. But I also believe that may have influenced this vote today. Now we sit here, in a new Hispania, a greater Hispania than ever seen before. We must make it greater, and make it a bastion of the faith. Not of the corrupt, bullying institutions of rusted Iron, but the true Catholic faith. If we allow heretics to show themselves, we can talk to them. Then, will understanding come into their heart. It is God's place to guide, and we must let them be guided. And, if they do not convert, it is not our place to dole out punishment. If we think punishment will make them convert, we must think again. What conversion would be a forced one? In their hearts, they still would not know, and we would not have saved them from the Fire. No, instead we must be open to them, so they can be open to us, and our faith, in heart and mind.

((Santoros Abu Hashem, courtier, Caribbean monopoly VP))

Crown Recognition of Protestantism: Abstain
Crown Recognition of Reformed: Abstain

[courtier]

Ferrante whispers to Kristoffel who jumps up at the synod and declares:

Cassano Valazquez, dog of the Curia and tainter of God's truth, answer these arguments! You say that religion isn't politics and I agree. However that is rich coming from the member of a body of men that benefit from the political power their positions bring. Also, since when has the decedent Curia given up the idea of a restored Papal State. Papal STATE, the very name declares politics and misuse of power.

You cry to the heavens "The spiritual cannot be compromised!" Oh? So the encyclicals, Papal Bulls, decrees, edicts, letters, and declarations of the Roman church on what a Christian is aren't compromises? The idea that man can accurately discern the divine isn't a compromise? The only truth is the truth of the word of God, not the corrupt spewings of a lecherous sodomite.

"The spiritual cannot be bought"? Tell that to the masses of the poor of Europe who waited at the door of the Catholic Church for days to receive indulgences, or for a glimpse of the finger of St.Wenceslaus, only for there savings to be taken away in exchange for a slip of temporal paper stating that the would have salvation. Rome is built on the backs of the poor who bought the spiritual from your money grubbing church. "The Spiritual cannot be bought"? Declare that to the endless parade of art and architecture bought by your church with the money of the poor in order to depict the spiritual. Idolatry! Blasphemy! Depravity! All follow your church, it's saints, and your head Pharisee the Whore of Rome.

People of the realm,

Hear ye the truth of the lord.

There is no truth but the word God, incarnate in our lord Jesus, the risen Christ, and in the holy bible. We live to serve the vision of the great divine will and for no other reason. All that the church as built for hundreds of years only separates you from the divine truth. No priest can tell you what God demands of you, only almighty heaven.

Crown Recognition of Protestantism:Yea
Crown Recognition of Reformed:YEA

Yes, some priests are corrupt. That does not mean that Protestantism is not a heresy and that Catholicism is not THE essential truth of God.

Do you really think the core tenets of our religion are "compromises"? If so that proves how idiotic you are. I am not talking about the Church's administrative decisions. I am talking about the fundamental truths of our religion. Yes, of course the Church makes policies based on secular needs. But this debate is not about that. Protestantism is a rejection of these fundamental truths. To tolerate this heresy would be a mortal sin.

Some may remember the Tolerance act from many years ago, which failed. Very few voted for it, myself included. My original vote was for it, but I was threatened by a prominent member of the Clergy. All can infer his identity. I changed, and I advocated against it to another man, a noble who voted for the act. I wanted to save him from the corrupt Inquisition, which had a lot more power back then. But he made me realize that if we wanted change, we had to be willing to die for it. The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church. So I changed my vote, and I believe it has earned me the eternal hatred of a man of god. But I also believe that may have influenced this vote today. Now we sit here, in a new Hispania, a greater Hispania than ever seen before. We must make it greater, and make it a bastion of the faith. Not of the corrupt, bullying institutions of rusted Iron, but the true Catholic faith. If we allow heretics to show themselves, we can talk to them. Then, will understanding come into their heart. It is God's place to guide, and we must let them be guided. And, if they do not convert, it is not our place to dole out punishment. If we think punishment will make them convert, we must think again. What conversion would be a forced one? In their hearts, they still would not know, and we would not have saved them from the Fire. No, instead we must be open to them, so they can be open to us, and our faith, in heart and mind.

((Santoros Abu Hashem, courtier, Caribbean monopoly VP))

I always knew that you were a false Christian. Deep down you are a savage Mohammedan who is using Protestantism as cover for your vile religion to reconquer Iberia.

Reactions:
Yes, some priests are corrupt. That does not mean that Protestantism is not a heresy and that Catholicism is not THE essential truth of God.

Do you really think the core tenets of our religion are "compromises"? If so that proves how idiotic you are. I am not talking about the Church's administrative decisions. I am talking about the fundamental truths of our religion. Yes, of course the Church makes policies based on secular needs. But this debate is not about that. Protestantism is a rejection of these fundamental truths. To tolerate this heresy would be a mortal sin.

I always knew that you were a false Christian. Deep down you are a savage Mohammedan who is using Protestantism as cover for your vile religion to reconquer Iberia.

To tolerate this heresy would allow us to persuade these heretics to convert or accept the true faith and this must be down with words and debate as burning them unrepented would only damn them to Hell, something that all good Christians mourn as no soul deserves to be dammed to Lucifer for mortal impatience. In time the Protestants and Reformed may come to accept the true faith, but killing them before that is hateful and wrathful. Two sins most foul, and you should know this Cardinal, or has age and your zealotry prompted you to only remember scripture and teachings convenient for your world view.

And to say someone is a "false Christian" because they disagree with you on matters of theology is the height of arrogance, I hope you remain in Rhodes and never pervert Hispania with your hate and unflinching discord. Jesus taught love and compassion for all, maybe you should meditate on the New Testament and everything that came from the Son of God himself and you'll see tolerance and compassion and other virtues. You put the Old Testament on a pedestal and forget what the most important Biblical figure taught.

A tall strapping man with olive-coloured skin and curly black hair joined the assembly at the palace, escorted by an entourage of guards. If no one had recognized him at first, the beautiful woman at his side gave his identify away. Clara, now Empress of Byzantium, escorted her husband, Emperor Manuel III of Byzantium, into the meeting hall. After he had been properly announced and paid his respects to King Ferran IV, he addressed the assembly.

Men of Hispania. Many of you may not know me, even if you know of me. I have spent most of my life in Constantinople, as my father and his father before him did likewise. Yet I could not remain in the City of World's Desire while a matter of such great importance was discussed here in Valencia. The decision that shall be made here will not only affect those in Valencia or even just those Iberia, but also the men and women living in Greece, Naples, and the many colonies this kingdom possesses. The empire I rule over, one restored and protected by your fair kingdom, will feel the effects of this decision as surely as those in Iberia will. That is why I have come so far to speak before you.

Over a century ago, King Joan II of Aragon decided that the schism between the Roman Catholic Church and Greek Orthodox Church would exist no more. He and the great people that served him dedicated themselves to bringing my people into the arms of the one true Church. I admit, the time following was one of rebellion, for those living within Greece did not approve of abandoning their faith like that. Yet now we are proud Catholics, every last one. Our religious ties only strengthened our bond and allowed us to drive out the heathen Ottomans from our lands. The one true faith gave us hope and opened our eyes to the glory that is God.

Now we see the world descend into chaos yet again. These Protestants and Reformed have broken free from the Church and spread war and rebellion throughout the false German Empire. Look at what this religious divide has done to Europe. These Protestants and Reformed wish to force their religion on the false Empire and its people. They turn to violence rather than dialogue. To those who dispute this, just look to the war raging on now and remember it was the Palatinate, a Protestant state, that started it, not the Catholic Emperor in Brabant. The fact that we are discussing such a matter here in Hispania, a Catholic nation, says much. It is true that there are Catholics that refuse to listen to these heretics, but that is because they are true in their faith and know they are righteous. These heretics go willingly to their damnation and it is hard not to cry out in frustration.

So then what is the solution? There are those that would say we should crack down on such heretics, but that is not the answer. Violence begets violence. Neither can we openly accept these heresies as legitimate religions. Instead we must look within and figure out why these people choose to abandon the Holy Church. What we must do is reform. The Counter-Reformation was a good first step towards achieving this. Just like any state, there is corruption within the ranks of the Church that must be weeded out. There are legitimate concerns mixed in with the heretical lies of these Protestants and Reformed. This is why we are here. We must address these concerns and reform the Church while staying true to the Catholic faith. I am not saying we must change the key beliefs of the Catholic faith, for those are undeniable truths, but we can alter the administration of the Church and other issues outside of scripture. Just as the schism between the Catholic and Orthodox churches was unnecessary, so is this. Let us find common ground so that we can all feel warm in the embrace of God and the Holy Church.

- His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Manuel III Palaiologos of Byzantium

((Private))

After Manuel finished his speech, he remained behind to continue the discussion with the court of Hispania. Princess Clara, or rather Empress as she kept having to remind herself, sneaked out of the room during the aftermath. Religious doctrine was not something that excited her, and what she always needed was a thrill and she needed it badly. She was stifled back in Constantinople. Manuel was a loving husband that lavished her with whatever she desired, and she had to admit that the marriage was a happy one, but it was not one that satisfied her carnal needs. Manuel's piety extended to more than one level, and that included being chaste in the bedroom. Her husband would perform his husbandly duties in the most typical way and she'd pretend to enjoy herself. She didn't mind it too much, since her husband was incredibly handsome and loving, but she didn't feel like putting on a performance every time. She needed a man who would pleasure her rather than the other way around.

There had been one guy back in Constantinople who Clara had fooled around with for a month or two. Alexios was his name. He had been ruggedly handsome and was also a close confidante of her husband, which made it all the more thrilling. They had once even made love in her marital bed. Now he had known how to pleasure a woman. Of course that affair ended quite abruptly, and quite violently, when Manuel found out. Manuel was a kind and just ruler, but he took his position seriously and knew that any doubts of his wife's fidelity would put his own succession at risk. He had chastised her quite thoroughly on the matter. Of course while Clara had just gotten yelled at, Alexios had faced a much worse fate. Manuel first had him blinded "for the sin of looking at the Empress's naked flesh", then he had a hand cut off "for the sin of touching the Empress's naked flesh", and finally castrated "for the sin of defiling the Empress's body". To say that Alexios wasn't himself anymore was an understatement. She hadn't seen him since and expected she never would. No one at court in Constantinople had found out about her affair, but Manuel had put her on a tight leash after that. There was always someone keeping an eye on her, whether it be a guard, maid, or servant. And thus she had slowly started dying of boredom. Clara was surprised her private parts hadn't shrivelled up from the lack of use they were receiving.

Manuel's decision to travel to Valencia proved a godsend. Not only did she get to accompany him, under the guise of visiting her family, but he did not possess the staff nor the authority necessary to keep an eye on her at all times. Surely it would be an insult to the king if his daughter was surrounded by guards even when she was visiting family in private? All she had to do was slip away and find someone to have a good time with. Manuel was unlikely to find out if she was careful, for his eyes in Hispanian court were few in number and word did not spread to Constantinople very quickly. This was Clara's chance for a little taste of freedom and some fun, and she wasn't going to waste it.

Reactions:
Standing on the deck of the Inquisition as it neared the port of Valencia, Pope Marcellus II gazed over the eastern horizon, watching as the sun gently rose over the Mediterranean. It had been nearly three months since he had left the Ecclesiatical States, or rather what was left of them after the Tuscans had violently claimed their share, in the care of the Camerlengo, the venerable Cardinal Velazquez. Sailing on the Inquisition, a modest but swift and sturdy brig, he had traveled to Montpellier, where he had been lavishly received by the counsellors of the Queen of France. Their words had been eloquent, but despite flaunting their formal membership of the Catholic League, the damned fools had refused to commit to armed intervention on behalf of their German brothers. And thus the Holy Father had ventured on to Hispania.

Marcellus sighed as the Inquisition approached the docks. It had been nearly four decades since he had set foot in the then Aragonese capital, when the preposterous topic of tolerance for heretics had last been discussed. As he absentmindedly observed merhcants milling about on the piers, it occurred to Marcellus that the outcome of the assembly he would soon attend would likely be the defining event of his Papacy, whether or not he was able to sway Hispania's response, domestic and international, to the looming threat of heresy. As he retreated below deck to prepare to disembark, he prayed that it would be the former.

---

Dressed in full papal regalia, Marcellus II stood to speak near the end of the first day of proceedings.

"Good men of Hispania, I ask you, when Princes of the Empire shunned the true faith and were left for the most part unhindered by the Emperor, did they cease their ambitions to enforce their heresies on those who remained faithful? When the Orthodox masses of Byzantium were treated with toleration after good King Joan II mended the Great Schism, did they continue to accept the rule of their Emperor? The answer is a clear and resounding no. Greece and Germany have been ravaged in turn, by the forces of Ioannes Kantakouzenos and the Protestant League, respectively. Yet those who have supressed the heretics with vigour, France, Britain, Sweden, and thus far, Hispania, have been blessed with prosperity and strength. Theology aside, it is clear that allowing these viles apostates to proliferate breeds only dissent and instability.

However, there is some truth in d'Este's words. I admit, there are those within the church who would use it for their own ends. But they are vastly outnumbered by those of us, such as the Camerlengo and I, who have done and are doing our utmost to purge the church of corruption and sin. I admit, the Holy Father has a political role. But that role is of a mediator and organizer, to stifle conflicts between the Christian faithful and to rally them against outside threats. It is enlightening to note that d'Este himself is guilty of the worst form of corruption, that of blasphemy and apostasy.

Some would have you believe that tolerance is the path to peaceful reconversion. Unfortunately, as I have previously stated, history has shown that this is not the case, and I do not believe that it is worth risking the lives of so many faithful to recover the souls of a few heretics.

Thank you. May the Lord bless you all."

---

pQeSwgF.png

Crown Recognition of Protestantism: No
Crown Recognition of Reformed: No

[Clergy/Pope/4VP]

Reactions:
Marina prods her son to stand and give his address.

7y5IQkH.png

The pall of death hangs over the german states as brothers turn on each other, spurred on by their bitter divides. Why would we inflict this fate upon this fair realm? Why would we willingly choose to divide ourselves and allow the propagation of heretical dissent within His Majesty’s most Catholic Kingdom?

Perhaps so that we do not oppress the Hispanic people as My Lord Trinacria suggests? I would remind you that this is a man who, but a few years passed, advocated the expansion of the aristocratic privilege and a reinforcement of serfdom.

Perhaps to avoid unnecessary violence as others have suggested? Even in the case that punishment occurs, it is rarely violent, imprisonment and banishment are the more frequent options. I am sure that My Lords and gentlemen are aware of this, so why then do they persist in purveying these myths of violence?

For over a century the Catholic Church and our inquisition have been a bulwark of His Majesty’s rule, guarding the stability of the realm, successfully guiding those who turn away from the one true faith back into the fold and leading them to repentance.

Are there any here who deny the One True Faith? Any who would not rejoice at a lost lamb returning to the flock? Of course not. Why then do so many advocate fettering the Inquisition? It offers not just correction for those who have strayed, but allows all to confront their sins and be forgiven by the Church.

At this gathering, His Majesty was generous enough to give voice to those of different creeds, and what is the result? Already we see the bile spewed by the Heretic’s pet priest against those most holy precepts that we as Catholics hold dear.If a man of learning cannot restrain himself from insulting differing beliefs, what hope is there for the common man? Are we to see our holy churches vandalised, our priests abused?

As we consider accepting the presence and allowing the spread of these creeds, images of Rivers Tagus and Ebro awash with blood prey upon my mind and I am filled with foreboding. Just as in Germany they will seek to assert their supremacy through war and the land shall be filled with violence.

---

Crown Recognition of Protestantism: No
Crown Recognition of Reformed: No

[Courtier, Stuff]

Reactions:
((On a more casual note, here is Ferrante's new coat of arms done with great skill by @Keinwyn.))

Presenting the Arms of the Prince of Squillace and Cantazaro,

Prince Ferrante Henri San Lorenzo D'Este y Medici of Calabria.

ZNfNFMT.png

Velazquez had urged His Holiness to stay in Rome and not give any credence to the toleration of heresy. But after he read the pope's speech toward the court of Aragon he reconsidered his original opinion. Pope Marcellus had given such a moving address that must have convinced many wavering courtiers and nobles. He prayed that the Lord would give His Holiness the strength and wisdom to convince the court.

However, the pope's visit was very risky. If he did not succeed then the institution of the papacy would lose prestige. Perhaps other Catholic countries would fall out of line...

The Iron Cardinal returned to his work. He mostly left administration to others. He was too old for that kind of drudgery and did not have much time left in his life to waste. The administration was divided in two: one part for the Church as a whole, the other for the Papal States itself. Ambitious, young priests with a good head for mathematics reviewed the accounts and ledgers of hundreds of thousands of churches across the world. Local Italian bishops and nobles, meanwhile, monitored secular affairs for the Papal States.

Velazquez was more involved with theological proceedings. He took the pope's place as head of the daily meetings of cardinals. Usually they would debate scripture and doctrine for hours. However, in His Holiness' absence the meetings were cut short. Velazquez did not want to make any important decisions in the absence of God's conduit, after all.

What the Iron Cardinal mostly concerned himself with, naturally, was war, however. Every day for hours on end he would pour over maps and scrolls with generals from across Europe. He sent thousands of ducats from the Church vaults to the Catholic League and constantly harassed the aforementioned administration to scrounge up funds. So desperate was he to see the Catholic League win that he was in the process of selling some of the Church's precious jewels and artwork. To him it was no great loss, as he saw the supposed great works of the "Renaissance" as wasteful decadence. But those cardinals who were the fat third sons of dukes did not see it that way.

Damn them, though. The Church had a war to win.

Last edited: