Hearts of Iron IV - 28th Development Diary - Weather & Terrain

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
@podcat : Does a river is easier to cross during winter if it get frozen?
Good question.

Is the Ladoga lake a province in winter? (where Leningrad can be supplied) :p

Reactions:
This weather system seems more user-friendly than the HOI3 one.
I like it.

... and yes, frozen rivers, and ice not strong enough for supporting the weight of a panzer division trying to cross it ?...

This weather system seems more user-friendly than the HOI3 one.
I like it.

... and yes, frozen rivers, and ice not strong enough for supporting the weight of a panzer division trying to cross it ?...

You would be surprised how even thin ice will carry the weight of even a modern tank. Centimetres rather than tens of them. Then again it can be a costly mistake to drive your tank-company out onto that snow-covered "field" during winter only to discover it's not actually a field at all.

Regarding the user-friendliness, I don't like it one bit. It should be terrible to fight a war, for pixeltruppen and players alike. ;)

Reactions:
You would be surprised how even thin ice will carry the weight of even a modern tank. Centimetres rather than tens of them.

Don't the treads chew up the ice after the first tank passes, though? Some treads are bad enough for roads, but I can't imagine they are good for frozen lakes and rivers.

You would be surprised how even thin ice will carry the weight of even a modern tank. Centimetres rather than tens of them. Then again it can be a costly mistake to drive your tank-company out onto that snow-covered "field" during winter only to discover it's not actually a field at all.

Not to mention how costly crossing any frozen body of water with tanks or on foot can get, if the enemy has any artillery within range.

Not to mention how costly crossing any frozen body of water with tanks or on foot can get, if the enemy has any artillery within range.

Yeah, just ask Napoleon.

Pardon if I missed/misunderstood it in the thread, but in regards to the terrain: is there differentiation between the land "shape" and its surface covering? i.e. desert hills, mountainous jungles, etc. or do you just pick one to be the dominant feature?

Reactions:
Don't the treads chew up the ice after the first tank passes, though? Some treads are bad enough for roads, but I can't imagine they are good for frozen lakes and rivers.

Normal tracks are actually worthless on ice as you get very little traction and therefore simple stuff like changing the direction you're traveling in or even stopping gracefully is very hard unless the ice is rugged or covered in a thick layer of snow and then yes your tracks will chew it up. Normally though a unit crossing a river or lake on a divisional level would have timbers, branches and other types of reinforcement put on the ice if temperatures are not favourable for extended use.

Reactions:
Pardon if I missed/misunderstood it in the thread, but in regards to the terrain: is there differentiation between the land "shape" and its surface covering? i.e. desert hills, mountainous jungles, etc. or do you just pick one to be the dominant feature?
we pick the dominant/worst to fight in

Reactions:
Normal tracks are actually worthless on ice as you get very little traction and therefore simple stuff like changing the direction you're traveling in or even stopping gracefully is very hard unless the ice is rugged or covered in a thick layer of snow and then yes your tracks will chew it up. Normally though a unit crossing a river or lake on a divisional level would have timbers, branches and other types of reinforcement put on the ice if temperatures are not favourable for extended use.

We considered removing penalty in winter for rivers, but decided not to. Basically there is a lot of things that can be wrong and especially during combat so we felt penalty should still be there.

Reactions:

We considered removing penalty in winter for rivers, but decided not to. Basically there is a lot of things that can be wrong and especially during combat so we felt penalty should still be there.

Indeed, I had that exact Strv122 video in mind when I wrote the post. :D Legendary.

CV90 :cool: (although the video says tank it's really a CV / ICV)

Challenger :eek:

The Leo and Cv90 actually handles reasonably well (although Bambi-like) but it wouldn't be pretty in a battalion engagement, now imagine a 27-tonne T34 with unassisted clutch-brake steering in the same situation. Then again, it beats swimming.

River penalties are fine during winter as well but frozen conditions should be way better than mud in any case.

The Fast and the Furious: Uppsala Drift

EDIT:

Also, what a drift racer might look like:

archer_39421.jpg

Reactions:
Will province/state infrastructure be taken into account in penalties? The #1 reason for Russian "mud" was the (lack of) quality of their mostly dirt roads. Highways and other well-planned roads should have proper drainage and thus be immune to mud. Easy example, Russian trains don`t suffer one bit from mud, as rails are actually built on proper foundation, unlike roads.
This is part of a greater and more sensible issue, and relative flaw, in this game; the impact and management of infrastructures;

Cheers for posting Wingo, an interesting read :). lololol at the rocket-powered universal carrier at the end :eek:.

Last edited:
Reactions:
"I know! Let's give our vehicles jump jets!"
:20 minutes later:
"...let's never do that again."

Reactions: