• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Bit late to the punch here, but I really do like this type of dev diary where you talk about your internal processes on updating and fixing the game.

I know they're hard to do since all of it is not concrete and you don't want to give people unrealistic expectations, but it is a refreshing break to see you guys talk about your issues with revising old systems instead of just talking about the next new system.

Fine, you asked, he said no, end of discussion. I just think that you care about that a little bit too much, while there are other issues to be solved, that's all. Too much spam about it, even this reply is more than redundant

I just wonder what your part in this discussion is? I don't think either Wiz or Johan need or want you to champion for them. You assessed the value of your post quite accurately.

I don't see why we can't have a discussion about such things, no matter how minor or unimportant they appear to be (for you, that is). Its not like Johan and Wiz never changed their mind in the past. And changing a tag colour is indeed so marginal a task that the "there are more pressing issues" argument isn't valid in this case.

Don't get me wrong. While Brandenburg-Prussia is a country I like to play once in a while, I never actually thought about their colour. In fact, I'm quite indifferent when it comes to that topic. But I do feel that some forumnites feel the urge to crawl into... lets call it certain sunless realms.

edit:

He prefers the grey color. I don't know what possible argument you could present against that, nor do I care enough to think one up. Sorry.

Well, I think the resemblance to uncolonized lands is a fairly strong argument, tbh. In any way its a far better argument than 'But I prefer xxx just because'.

edit 2:

argh, ninja'd

Last edited:
Reactions:
He prefers the grey color. I don't know what possible argument you could present against that, nor do I care enough to think one up. Sorry.
The main issue is that its colour is way too close to the colour of uncolonized provinces. Have you seen what the map looks like when Prussia is colonizing or when it gets dropped next to empty land in a random map?

Reactions:
I just hate meaningless discussion, just as this is. I do care about better gameplay and spamming questions about some colour are not very helpful, especially if there is someone with real issue, which can be lost in this mess. They asked, that is fine, they got their answer, let's move on

Agreed. I still think its worth pointing out that your concerns about the discussion of this particular issue didn't help anyone. If anything it was obstructive and a waste of energy for all participating sides (myself included.)

Hello and welcome to another inter-expansion development diary for Europa Universalis 4. While I've been out sick for a few days, the team has been hard at work tracking down and fixing the various technical issues resulting from the engine upgrade we did in 1.12. We now believe we have the majority of issues resolved and aim to release hotfix 1.12.2 later today if testing goes well.

So while QA does their job, I thought I'd dig a bit into the past and talk about old mistakes. Specifically, features that didn't end up as we'd intended them to, why they ended up the way they did, and what we're planning to do about it. Note that this is not an exhaustive list, I just picked the ones I most wanted to discuss for one reason or another.

Random New World
There is of course, no talking about old features that didn't work out as planned without bringing up Random New World. Random New World was perhaps my personal single most anticipated feature in EU4, but ultimately ended up a disappointment. It's not that the feature is broken - it works according to the design specifications, and besides a few quirks is a fully playable feature that does what it says on the tin. Rather, the problem with Random New World is that it feels wrong. The landmasses it generates don't look quite right, and you always have the sense that something is just off about it. Contrary to what some people believe, the reason for this is not that we spent too little time on RNW (more work went into it than any other feature for EU4, Custom Nations included) or that it was badly coded. Rather, the problem for this feature is that the original design specifications were impossible to achieve.

The design for Random New World set out three goals: It should not require pre-generation, it should generate quickly enough that players don't sit around for 10 minutes waiting for the game to start, and it should look and feel good. It was only after weeks of work that we realized that we could not have all three: We could have a good-looking world that took a long time to generate (either through pre-generation or having to wait a long time in-game) or we could have a not so good-looking world was quicker to generate. At that point picking the former option would have required throwing out nearly all the work we'd done up to that point and starting over, so it was decided to press on with what we had and try to do the best we could with it.

Ever since taking over as Project Lead, it's been a personal ambition of mine to improve the Random New World feature. The problem, of course, is that I am still left with the same choice and limitations that we had back then: With the implementation we have, there is very much a limit to how good-looking we can make random map generation without having the player wait 10-15 minutes each time they start a new game or load a save. As such, the only possible path to improvement is to throw out what we have and start anew with a different implementation. Given that the feature does work, and given the massive time investment that would be involved in redoing it from the ground up, you can perhaps understand why that ambition has yet to be fulfilled. Nonetheless, something *may* be happening on this front in the not too distant future. No promises, though.

Hotjoin
Similarly, I feel that I have to bring up Hotjoin, as it'd be strange to leave it out of this dev diary. Yes, we're aware Hotjoin is still broken. Yes, we're still aiming to fix it. We've actually been fixing issues with it in each major patch since 1.8, but there's still a good deal more to fix. We probably shouldn't have let it get this broken in the first place, but we still have to prioritize fixes to new features over old ones. We'll get there though.

High Altitude Lakes
Perhaps this doesn't quite qualify as a 'feature', but I don't think it's escaped the attention of anyone who's played the game for a while that there are a few... odd looking lakes in the game, Siling Lake and Lake Titicaca being the prime examples. This is because EU4 was supposed to launch with the ability for the artists to create high altitude lakes, but this was cut for time and we ended up with all lakes using the global water level, resulting in what we internally dubbed 'Mt. Doom' in Tibet. As of a few days ago this has now been fixed, and come late June, Sauron will have to find a new place to live.

This is how high altitude lakes used to look:
nNRXfmd.png

This is how they look now:
4GFcMQW.png

UbZXstt.png

I had intended this dev diary to be a bit longer, but I'm going to have to stop here for lack of time. Perhaps I'll continue it next week, or perhaps we'll talk about something else. For now, I leave you with this fun fact of the day:

Fun Fact of the Day!
Did you know that the most popular player nation (measured by number of campaigns started) in EU4 is to play a Custom Nation? It is closely followed by England, France and Castile. Of the top 10 played nations, the only (non-custom) one that isn't in the 'Interesting Nations' in 1444 is Brandenburg. It appears that our Byzantine fans have nothing on the lovers of Prussia.
... I for one love the ridiculous lakes. Their amusing to look at, and whenever I forget about them they provide me a good chuckle. Frankly, this never bothered me at all. #PreserveTibetianMarianna'sTrench

I just wonder what your part in this discussion is? I don't think either Wiz or Johan need or want you to champion for them. You assessed the value of your post quite accurately.

... But I do feel that some forumnites feel the urge to crawl into... lets call it certain sunless realms.

I can't help myself, may I ask what your part in this discussion was? I pointed out that there are more important issues in the gameplay like corrupted AI with an example of it, but can't see any real contribution of yours. I think better behaving Prussia is of much more worth than better looking Prussia. If I sounded offensive, then I am sorry, I am not that flexible English user, but don't enter discussion in the game forum if you have nothing else to say but moralize. Thank you

What about the fact that the Chesapeake Trade Node name has a random period after the name in the Trade Node map? I'll have to post a screenshot later of what I mean

What about the fact that the Chesapeake Trade Node name has a random period after the name in the Trade Node map? I'll have to post a screenshot later of what I mean
I think I know what you're talking about, and I think it's the period from "Gulf of St. Lawrence" drooping down shamefully low

Reactions:
Yeah to be clear, there's basically nothing we can do with the RNW implementation as-is. No matter how we want to improve it, improving it more than marginally requires a total rework. We know exactly how we *want* to rework it, it's a matter of finding the time. If/when we do end up being able to do it, I'll do a whole DD on it at some point.

I hope you're gonna rework it. I like this one but i don't play with it anymore because colonization seems so weird on it. I would rather have long loading time than an ugly new world.

I'm pretty sure there's an Ottoman conspiracy behind such disturbing claim.
Long live the Purple Phoenix.
Phoenix?
"Hm? You want to know what kind of animal a phoenix is?" "Oh right, that was your nickname, wasn't it?"
"Well, first of all, it's a bird." "Peep!"
"Also, it's on fire."
"And... huh? No more? But that's just what a phoenix is..." "You feel sorry for it? Why?"
689baeaf8e3d94da8ae5dc52830432dd.jpg

Reactions:
Here's what I want to know: Are you guys aware of the bug with random nations where there are almost always giant 100+ force limit game start super-behemoths? (And not just celestial empires, nor just in china.)

Reactions:
Hello and welcome to another inter-expansion development diary for Europa Universalis 4. While I've been out sick for a few days, the team has been hard at work tracking down and fixing the various technical issues resulting from the engine upgrade we did in 1.12. We now believe we have the majority of issues resolved and aim to release hotfix 1.12.2 later today if testing goes well.

So while QA does their job, I thought I'd dig a bit into the past and talk about old mistakes. Specifically, features that didn't end up as we'd intended them to, why they ended up the way they did, and what we're planning to do about it. Note that this is not an exhaustive list, I just picked the ones I most wanted to discuss for one reason or another.

Random New World
There is of course, no talking about old features that didn't work out as planned without bringing up Random New World. Random New World was perhaps my personal single most anticipated feature in EU4, but ultimately ended up a disappointment. It's not that the feature is broken - it works according to the design specifications, and besides a few quirks is a fully playable feature that does what it says on the tin. Rather, the problem with Random New World is that it feels wrong. The landmasses it generates don't look quite right, and you always have the sense that something is just off about it. Contrary to what some people believe, the reason for this is not that we spent too little time on RNW (more work went into it than any other feature for EU4, Custom Nations included) or that it was badly coded. Rather, the problem for this feature is that the original design specifications were impossible to achieve.

The design for Random New World set out three goals: It should not require pre-generation, it should generate quickly enough that players don't sit around for 10 minutes waiting for the game to start, and it should look and feel good. It was only after weeks of work that we realized that we could not have all three: We could have a good-looking world that took a long time to generate (either through pre-generation or having to wait a long time in-game) or we could have a not so good-looking world was quicker to generate. At that point picking the former option would have required throwing out nearly all the work we'd done up to that point and starting over, so it was decided to press on with what we had and try to do the best we could with it.

Ever since taking over as Project Lead, it's been a personal ambition of mine to improve the Random New World feature. The problem, of course, is that I am still left with the same choice and limitations that we had back then: With the implementation we have, there is very much a limit to how good-looking we can make random map generation without having the player wait 10-15 minutes each time they start a new game or load a save. As such, the only possible path to improvement is to throw out what we have and start anew with a different implementation. Given that the feature does work, and given the massive time investment that would be involved in redoing it from the ground up, you can perhaps understand why that ambition has yet to be fulfilled. Nonetheless, something *may* be happening on this front in the not too distant future. No promises, though.

Hotjoin
Similarly, I feel that I have to bring up Hotjoin, as it'd be strange to leave it out of this dev diary. Yes, we're aware Hotjoin is still broken. Yes, we're still aiming to fix it. We've actually been fixing issues with it in each major patch since 1.8, but there's still a good deal more to fix. We probably shouldn't have let it get this broken in the first place, but we still have to prioritize fixes to new features over old ones. We'll get there though.

High Altitude Lakes
Perhaps this doesn't quite qualify as a 'feature', but I don't think it's escaped the attention of anyone who's played the game for a while that there are a few... odd looking lakes in the game, Siling Lake and Lake Titicaca being the prime examples. This is because EU4 was supposed to launch with the ability for the artists to create high altitude lakes, but this was cut for time and we ended up with all lakes using the global water level, resulting in what we internally dubbed 'Mt. Doom' in Tibet. As of a few days ago this has now been fixed, and come late June, Sauron will have to find a new place to live.

This is how high altitude lakes used to look:
nNRXfmd.png

This is how they look now:
4GFcMQW.png

UbZXstt.png

I had intended this dev diary to be a bit longer, but I'm going to have to stop here for lack of time. Perhaps I'll continue it next week, or perhaps we'll talk about something else. For now, I leave you with this fun fact of the day:

Fun Fact of the Day!
Did you know that the most popular player nation (measured by number of campaigns started) in EU4 is to play a Custom Nation? It is closely followed by England, France and Castile. Of the top 10 played nations, the only (non-custom) one that isn't in the 'Interesting Nations' in 1444 is Brandenburg. It appears that our Byzantine fans have nothing on the lovers of Prussia.

I believe that random new world is one of the best features someone ever brought up in a game. Moreover I want to admit that although I am greek, Most of my game are with ottomans england and France in all expansions because Byzantium is poorly implemented. Seriously eastern tech? You can do better wiz. I have seen the enthusiasm for this game in you smile.

Reactions:
Is there any way to enable after, because my views on metrics have changed substantially since downloading the game

Its always on. You cant play the game without installing it.

Reactions:
Last edited:
Reactions: