• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Welcome back to our weekly series of development diaries about Europa Universalis. This time we’ll talk about two features that will be part of the next expansion.

Theocracies
This is based on something we read in the suggestions forum. Monarchies and Republics have had their Legitimacy and Republican Tradition, but Theocracies haven’t had a unique mechanic yet. The next expansion will add a concept we call Devotion. Devotion ranges for 0 to 100, and impacts several thing.

Devotion impacts your religious abilities, your prestige gain and your tax-income.

You primarily gain devotion from high religious unity and the devoutness idea. Low stability will decrease it, while being Defender of the Faith will increase it.

There are also a lot of events that impact your devotion.

Another unique mechanic for theocracies is the fact that they always have an heir, and they have somewhat of control of it.

If you do not have an heir, you get a chance to select one heir. Heirs are age 40+ with random stats. You can then pick one of the following.

• A Local Noble – Loses 5 devotion, but gains +10 Prestige
  • A Foreign Noble - Gains +100 relation with a random nation.
  • A Merchant's Son - +25% yearly income, lost 10 devotion
  • A Papal Protege – Catholic only. Gains +10 Papal Influence
  • A Talented Theologian: +10 Devotion
  • A local preacher – +5 Devotion & -10 Prestige

Government Ranks
A new feature in the next expansion is the introduction of proper Government Ranks. In previous versions, most countries would either be simply a Kingdom or a Republic, with a few special cases like Byzantium's Imperial Government and vassalized Kings becoming Dukes. If you don't get the expansion, this changes little, but for those with it most government types will come in three ranks: Duchy, Kingdom and Empire. While these are the names of the ranks, it doesn't mean there aren't any ranks for Republics - Venice's Serene Republic is on the same level as a Kingdom, for example.

Countries will start with whatever is closest to the rank they had historically, so the King of Burgundy becomes the Duke of Burgundy, while Byzantium is very much an Empire despite no longer having a special government form. Vassals, Marches and non-Elector members of the HRE are always Duchy rank, and certain government types only come in a single rank (such as Ming's Celestial Empire, which is always an Empire). Countries that are not locked to a particular rank can raise their rank through the Government screen by fulfilling certain requirements such as a certain level of prestige and total development level of your nation.

So what benefit do you get from a higher government rank, besides a new title and fancier headgear? Well, for one, higher government ranks are able to change their National Focus more often, with the default 25 year cooldown being 20 years for Kingdoms, and a mere 15 years for Empires. The bonuses granted from each government are now also set per rank, with government types getting more autonomy reduction from the higher ranks, while others such as Steppe Hordes have their base government bonuses to force limits, manpower and looting speed increased by higher government ranks.

Finally, this system also comes with a complete and mod-friendly overhaul of how government names and titles are handled. Under the old system, if you wanted to for example call your Greek Emperor a Basileus, you would have to create a particular localisation string that might get overwritten by other localisation strings, and there was no ability to differentiate between the titles of say, a Greek Western Technology Group Emperor and a Greek Eastern Technology Group Emperor. Under the new system, you script specific government name/title entries that might look something like this:

Code:
byzantine_monarchy = {
rank_1 = PRINCIPALITY
rank_2 = KINGDOM
rank_3 = EMPIRE

ruler_1 = AUTOKRATOR
ruler_1_female = AUTOKRATEIRA
ruler_2 = DESPOT
ruler_2_female = DESPOTISSA
ruler_3 = BASILEUS
ruler_3_female = BASILISSA

trigger = {
   government = monarchy
   tag = BYZ
}
}

The game goes through the government entries, picks the first one it finds where the trigger evaluates true, and applies those government titles to that nation. This means that if you so desire, you could create a complete unique set of government names for each and every country in the game!

AQP3Ng9.jpg

Well, probably we will get some knight and theocracy unit pack. The only feature i would love to get is a leader picture AkA CKII. Would be awesome to see who is the leader of your country.

PS: I truly would love this expansion to come out in some months, iam in a middle of a campagin. Right now iam at 1600s
We should integrate eve online character creation into eu4

What new government?
Religious Order. It does not currently exist in vanilla EU4, so Wiz must be talking about a new government type.

Reactions:
Dank ranks Paradox! Willl there be a unique mechanic for Ottos for when they capture Constantinople they can turn into an empire because they inherit the capital (and so bureacracy and institutions) of an empire? At the moment I think they can just decide to adopt imperial administration when they are large enough - 25 cities or sth. It could work for other nations too instead of being unique, ala Queen Victoria becoming Empress of India or Manchus becoming Emperors of China.

If not can you clarify what do you mean by level of prestige and development? Is it like 90 prestige and level 5 development etc.?

Reactions:
A city with lack of divine authority, must become a republic, this can fit with HRE.

What about having prince-bishoprics have a chance of popping out cities if they have low devotion (like Geneve during early 1500's), and a chance of a full sekularisation with 0 devotion to model teutonic order. (or by event maybe)

while others such as Steppe Hordes have their base government bonuses to force limits, manpower and looting speed increased by higher government ranks.

When will we see a 5% bonus discipline in ideas hordes (excluding Manchu and Timurid), the manpower c fine but when we rub a ottoman / qing / hinsduistan (which has 135% discipline to it > <) it's not really help.

I'll (somewhat-) agree with you on the point that expansions shouldn't be depended on each other if possible, but not one your first point.

I always believed that products should be judged on what was promised and not on what you think it should be. I feel this is especially true in the case of Paradox. Since a couple of years ago they decided to make more information available to future customers in the form of dev-diaries.

While you are right when you say it *feels* as though it should have been in from the start, it was never promised or talked about which nullifies your 1st point in my opinion (EU4 = EU3 + dev-diaries).

I'm not speaking of promises and betrayals, but the fact that there is a cannibalization between DLCs, that's all. To be honest i'm speaking for the interests of paradox, since what i wanted with making governments free was to keep national focus a unique feature of res publica . That would preserve the dlc since it's the only universal and always useful feature that comes with it, and makes up also for a good reason to suggest it to a friend, but i can see Wiz point too, it's still a very good policy (expecially for newcomers), so if they don't mind to make older dlcs lose appeal when compared to the new, beefy ones, it's totally ok.

Also i never said that eu4 is eu3 + diaries (mainly because it isn't), i was speaking of one single mechanic, i.e. government ranks, i'm not judging anything since i already think i got way beyond what paradox promised the very first days of this game thanks to dlcs, patches and the next expansion.

Last edited:
I'm not speaking of promises and betrayals, but the fact that there is a cannibalization between DLCs, that's all. To be honest i'm speaking for the interests of paradox, since what i wanted with making governments free was to keep national focus a unique feature of res publica . That would preserve the dlc since it's the only universal and always useful feature that comes with it, and makes up also for a good reason to suggest it to a friend, but i can see Wiz point too, it's still a very good policy (expecially for newcomers), so if they don't mind to make older dlcs lose appeal when compared to the new, beefy ones, it's totally ok.

Also i never said that eu4 is eu3 + diaries (mainly because it isn't), i was speaking of one single mechanic, i.e. government ranks, i'm not judging anything since i already think i got way beyond what paradox promised the very first days of this game thanks to dlcs, patches and the next expansion.

The full game needs to remain affordable. Otherwise they'll only have an ever dwindling base of current customers.

Ergo old DLCs must die. Especially if they have core game features such as national focus. Old DLCs should only be bought for specificr areas of interest: Americas, Netherlands, etc.

The mods added them for free, pdx should add them for free. Asking for money is cheap.
This is a ridiculous statement. If any idea or subject tackled in a mod is off-limit, the only reasonable move by Paradox would be to remove all modding-support and the modding-subforums. Otherwise, the risk of a mod touching on something they'd like to deal with in a future expansion or game would be too high.
Yep, embracing this belief is a cancer to moddability which it is fundamentally at odds with. You just cannot have the hands of the developers tied by the actions of modders, without expecting a crackdown on modding shortly after.

Remember, technically everything the modders make is Paradox property. They might be ethical enough to do their own code rather than taking it and selling it, but the very foundation of modding is that it should improve the experience of the user base, without hurting the developers. The moment making games moddable significantly bites a developer (such as widespread embracing of the belief that the developer can't make a DLC with features that have previously been in a mod), everything is going to be made hardcoded and every mod subforum shut down to make it easier for the lawyers to attack the modders.

Reactions:
I HAVE AN IDEA!!
Ive had an idea of having two buttons when it comes to colonisation. One called civilising which lets you to take areas that use to be colonisable where the religion changes and the cultures change. But in this case you would only be taking an area by sending a colonist to civilis the people and would face alot of resistance. This would be a great tool as it would work with other mechanics you have had added such as the cliant states. Like if you have an area in siberia and you are a WESTERN (only available for western, eastern and muslim) nation then you can make that province a cliant state. Which is what that culture there would consider it as its own nation. so if it gets taken and revolts it would form that nation but it wont be your cliant state any more(and would keep there tach same as you had when civilising them). This would be great to have as paradox knows that africa and some areas of the world like the middleast and north africa was put into a civilising program in various time in history. This would keep your colonists busy too.

Civilising the savages is more 19th century though.

Well yeah but most of africa was in that process in the very lete 17th century. Its annoying to see the portugese or shpanish taking eveything and there isnt much friction(between the cultures) like if the spanish took masive parts of west africa then they should have revolts and if they revolted then they would be able to aquire your tech and be able to generate a naiton of there own. It would make the game more intresting.

Reactions:
Religious Order. It does not currently exist in vanilla EU4, so Wiz must be talking about a new government type.
I read that as him referring to the Religous Orders (Teutons, Livonian, etc), and not about a new government type. As in they'll be Theocracies with Devotion and Rank 1 (Duchy level).

Why Paradox Nerf Burgundy?

Reactions:
Yay, more abstract values!
Well, you must like those kindof values a lot, as you must have played a game, a game which is almost only composed of those. I think that instead of doing a sneaky and unclear ambigious boycot, you should tell us some alternatives to what paradox has implemented.

I have made DOZENS of suggestions. Some of them actually make into the game though I don't know if it's because of my feedback.
Despite could you please refer only to my post rather than to my signature? I am not buying new stuff, right. I think I am free to do so as long as I am not happy with the course of the development which I still hope gets revised one day.