• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice update! Does the Anti-Comintern Pact do anything other than increase relations with signatory states and decrease them with the SU?
It would seem Mao is in a spot of trouble there, it would be nice if they could keep fighting each other for a little while longer wouldn't it.

In-game, yeah that's about all it does.

In story, it does provide some good writing potential, in regards to the fact I share a long, and very thinly defended due to IC limitations, border with the Reds. As for Mao...Yan'an was quite literally surrounded on all sides at one point. Then the PRC took a province north of it (Shilou) and the Xi'an event fired. Rather depressing really...that was the best I've ever seen the ROC do, and I was kinda hoping to see them annex to the PRC. Oh well.

It enables some events. I believe it is required for the "Recognition of Manchukuo" event.

I forgot about that event. Might want to make sure it can still fire with me not being a puppet...

Very interesting idea, all of it. With the Japanese as your frontline troops, will you edit the gamefiles so that you eventually get what they conquer? Have you any plans regarding the possible war against the Russians?

Most of all, I like the idea of handing old Japanese ships to their puppet. Should've done that IRL.

In theory, I should be getting anything they annex, since I removed the ROC-Nanjing event, and gave myself cores on everything but Menjiang. At the moment, I'm trying to build as many troops as I possibly can, as quickly as I can. My somewhat limited IC causes problems in that regard, since I can only spam Militia to any noticeable numbers. So unless Japan and I can take China down fast...I might have some problems with the Sovs :p

Subbed! Very nice narrative. I'm looking forward to seeing you unite all of China under an emperor again. I was wondering if you will be expanding your navy and airforce. And do you plan on remaining a Japanese puppet?

Navy and Air Force will be expanded at some point, but right now my army needs it a lot more if I want to survive the border skirmishes with Russia. Technically (in game terms) I'm not actually a puppet right now, since I wouldn't be able to build anything with all my supplies and materials going to Japan. In story terms, I'll probably remain one for the foreseeable future.

Update will probably be today or tomorrow.

Navy and Air Force will be expanded at some point, but right now my army needs it a lot more if I want to survive the border skirmishes with Russia. Technically (in game terms) I'm not actually a puppet right now, since I wouldn't be able to build anything with all my supplies and materials going to Japan. In story terms, I'll probably remain one for the foreseeable future.

Update will probably be today or tomorrow.

Yes, you need to build beautiful steel ships that a magnificent display of aestheticism and mathematics, and not the ugly Aircraft Carriers that are nonetheless, more beneficial to your navy in the long-run! Nothing like seeing the future Imperial Chinese Navy dominate the Western Pacific, and if possible, put Japan back in its rightful place...

Apologies for the slight delay. On the plus side, this is the last update before the Sino-Japanese War kicks off!

1937: The End of the Beginning

5ae3f2d5-8749-4fed-a526-8c0fe3200dd8_zps1724a3c4.png

0faaa732-b534-44e3-b38e-21c5a47aec0c_zpsaeec295f.jpg

Despite the end of the war with Mao's Communist forces, the Republic of China staunchly refused to demobilize their massive army. More and more troops moved from the area around Shanxi and Yan'an...freed up to move to the border with Japanese controlled territory. Thanks to the creation of Mengjiang, the Qing no longer shared a border with the Republic...but the amount of troops so nearby was a worrying sight nonetheless. For unlike the Republic that could afford to focus their forces against Japan and her 'allies', Manchukuo could only focus a relatively small portion of its military on the border.

Or, rather, on that border. The rest of the rapidly expanding army was deployed along the truly massive frontier with Soviet Russia. It was well known that Japan and Mongolia (and through them, Stalin) had competing claims on the Khalkin Gol region. Border clashes were a regular enough occurrence that Japan felt secure moving their troops to the mobilizing frontier with the Republic of China...but the Qing military could ill-afford to do the same. Were a full-scale war to break out, they would be the first to fight the Soviets...and leaving the border undefended would do little good in such a situation.

So despite the mobilization of the usurper Chinese, the Qing military could only focus a small portion of its Army on that border.

bbf78746-a1ea-4650-9052-903021b36507_zpsdecc1cc9.png

Luckily for Mancukuo, however, the crash industrialization that Japan had forced through in the decade since taking the region over bore fruit. The army was rapidly expanding to cover its many fronts, to the point that the reborn Qing Empire could reasonably be considered a major power in the region. Of course, the majority of these new units were hastily trained, and armed, militia drawn from various ethnic groups present in Manchuria...from Mongols to White Russians. So despite the numbers, the quality of the units left something to be desired.

Nonetheless, having the recognition of being a rising power was a major boon to Pu-Yi and his ministers.

a40936f9-0549-4cc1-a7d4-c05676c934c2_zpse22002e5.png

Far from Asia, events reached a boiling point in the Iberian Peninsula. While the troubles of the Spanish Republic should have meant little to the Qing, or even their Japanese masters, watching the Civil War quickly did become important. Spain was far from its colonial Empire these days...but it wasn't the Spanish themselves that made this Civil War so important, even in far away Manchuria and Tokyo. What made it important was the Proxy War status it quickly gained.

Soviet Russia supported the legitimate government, while Italy and Germany supported Sanjuro and Franco, the Nationalist Spanish. This was important...as both of those powers were making major efforts to draw Japan into their camp. Were these efforts to succeed, events in far-away Europe would have far more importance than they seemed at first.

0e324275-1fb2-428e-af49-653ac6cfc0c1_zps371f73e2.png

Though, for the Spanish at least, it didn't seem like their war was going to end any time soon.

e76679a6-9dfc-4207-a6f1-4b727428d22b_zps409ed549.jpg

Regardless of the outcome of the Spanish Civil War, the aftereffects were being felt in Asia. The Fascist nations of Europe were slowly but surely bringing Japan further into their camp. The government in Tokyo annulled every Naval Treaty it had signed, and began mobilizing its forces...including the Kwantung Army. While the Manchuko Navy fought to maintain 'control' over their old Japanese ships, the Army watched as trainloads of troops and munitions moved to the border with the Republic of China. Anyone in Manchukuo who payed any attention to the situation realized something major was soon to happen.

Little did they know just how major this event would be.

e34a6bcd-109b-432e-b9c0-445b0b872c8d_zps5558651b.jpg

A seemingly innocuous clash along the border between Japanese territory and the Republic exploded into the Second Sino-Japanese War. And this time, the Qing would be fighting their own people alongside the Japanese...to reclaim the Mandate of Heaven.

Subbed!!

And so it begins...
Good luck with China, and lets hope Stalin stays quiet!

To War, and the rightful restoration of China! :cool:

I'm actually kind of stunned that I haven't came up with this kind of modification myself, as I already have quite a lot of custom modifications for alt-historical countries. Using Manchukuo and spread my cores all over China didn't hit me for some reason. I might however borrow that concept from you and use it for the TFH version of HPP :)

How is your army doing? Where will the Japanese receive supplies from for their assault in China? Supply mechanics change with puppets in play!

I'm actually kind of stunned that I haven't came up with this kind of modification myself, as I already have quite a lot of custom modifications for alt-historical countries. Using Manchukuo and spread my cores all over China didn't hit me for some reason. I might however borrow that concept from you and use it for the TFH version of HPP :)

How is your army doing? Where will the Japanese receive supplies from for their assault in China? Supply mechanics change with puppets in play!

I'm surprised I never played as Manchuria with Pu Yi, the legitimate ruler (even if a Puppet from OTL and the game's perspective) of the Qing to restore a united China, I've only ever played as the Nationalists and the Communists to achieve that!

I'm surprised I never played as Manchuria with Pu Yi, the legitimate ruler (even if a Puppet from OTL and the game's perspective) of the Qing to restore a united China, I've only ever played as the Nationalists and the Communists to achieve that!

The game doesn't really give you the idea. You don't have cores all over China, nor does everybody know Pu Yi was the kid destined to be the emperor of China, had the Xinhai Revolution never happened. And neither you can gain any more land as Manchukuo by default... :p

Glad to have you!

And so it begins...
Good luck with China, and lets hope Stalin stays quiet!

Here's hoping, since that's my biggest worry, getting steamrolled by Soviet infantry and tanks as I only have militia and a single pair of inf divisions guarding the border.

To War, and the rightful restoration of China! :cool:

That's the goal. ;)

Feel free to use it if you want. I've had the idea since about midway through my Sweden AAR but it took some time to get the cores working right :p

Army is around 120 brigades at the moment. Most are militia, though I have five infantry divisions, one cav, and another four inf under construction. I don't have any idea how the supply situation will be though...in theory though, Japan should still be the one occupying territory during the war, since I no longer share a direct border with China thanks to Menjiang.

As Ikar said, in both the base game and HPP you don't have cores on China. Manchukuo has no way to take over any extra land, since Japan either annexes China directly (vanilla) or gives the territory to the ROC-Nanjing (HPP)...

Well, technically it also gets Outer Manchuria in the event of Bitter Peace firing on the Soviets, but that's beside the point :p

I had to go in manually and add cores to all of China (sans Inner Mongolia) and remove the ROC-Nanjing decision for this to work.

Skywalker_T-65 said:
As Ikar said, in both the base game and HPP you don't have cores on China. Manchukuo has no way to take over any extra land, since Japan either annexes China directly (vanilla) or gives the territory to the ROC-Nanjing (HPP)...

Well, technically it also gets Outer Manchuria in the event of Bitter Peace firing on the Soviets, but that's beside the point

I had to go in manually and add cores to all of China (sans Inner Mongolia) and remove the ROC-Nanjing decision for this to work.

I was mostly referring to the concept of the AAR and game - to play as Manchuria and bring about the restoration of China under Qing rule (since Pu Yi was the last Qing emperor, having traveled to China - he is seen as a tragic figure in Chinese history). I've done similar things in the past, like wanting to remake the Ottoman Empire (using Turkey), preferably after Ataturk died since he was a secularist and a republican and it would just seem so wrong to change that about him from 1936-1938. And manually added the old O.E. territories as Turkish cores. I've played countless games as Nationalist China and the Communists (going all the way back to HoI2), reading your AAR, I'm shocked I'd never played as Manchuria with this goal in mind. ;)

I was mostly referring to the concept of the AAR and game - to play as Manchuria and bring about the restoration of China under Qing rule (since Pu Yi was the last Qing emperor, having traveled to China - he is seen as a tragic figure in Chinese history). I've done similar things in the past, like wanting to remake the Ottoman Empire (using Turkey), preferably after Ataturk died since he was a secularist and a republican and it would just seem so wrong to change that about him from 1936-1938. And manually added the old O.E. territories as Turkish cores. I've played countless games as Nationalist China and the Communists (going all the way back to HoI2), reading your AAR, I'm shocked I'd never played as Manchuria with this goal in mind. ;)

It was a somewhat random idea that came to me :p

I'm glad it did though, this is an interesting concept to be sure.

If anybody is interested, I think I have a decently made "Manchurian Revenge" scenario for the 3.3.2 HPP version, I'm just about to finish it and find out who the hell included Korea in "China" region! :wacko: :p

If anybody is interested, I think I have a decently made "Manchurian Revenge" scenario for the 3.3.2 HPP version, I'm just about to finish it and find out who the hell included Korea in "China" region! :wacko: :p

What the heck are you even talking about old man? Last time I looked, HPP didn't have scenarios.

What the heck are you even talking about old man? Last time I looked, HPP didn't have scenarios.

Don't catch me by the word. It's still 1st January 1936, but with several changes to make Manchukuo more... "viable" to play.

And I bet you're older than me :p

Don't catch me by the word. It's still 1st January 1936, but with several changes to make Manchukuo more... "viable" to play.

And I bet you're older than me :p

don't worry Ikar, you'll be old enough one day :p (back when I was a teenager I wanted to be 25 and now I am 26 and want to be a teenager again :rofl:)

don't worry Ikar, you'll be old enough one day :p (back when I was a teenager I wanted to be 25 and now I am 26 and want to be a teenager again :rofl:)

I don't want to be older. Then you have to deal with insurance companies and I don't like that! :eek:

P.S. I find modding increasingly difficult. Here's my latest creation!

X5tUllB.gif

And sorry for contaminating this AAR, Skywalker :sad: