• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just picked up the game, and what a great game it is. Especially for us who love Nippon!

Probably too late, but I do hope for some more content in the future.

A fool's hope, perhaps...

Location and starting stats can affect ones entire game.
Yeah. Starting around Central Japan means you'll have a lot more hectic game than if you chose a clan around the edges in Kyushu or Tohoku.

This thread in combination with the other thread has dissuaded me from purchasing this game. When I first heard PI made a grand strategy game setting in Japan, I was very excited. When I saw the game didn't have any expansions, I was apprehensive. When I saw that on top of all of this, the game lost patch support very early on, I was extremely disappointed.

I've seen the only dev respond here with the basic statement that "if it would have sold more then we would have supported it", and I know that while this dev is likely not actually in charge of how the money is spent, you have to know that this statement is a fallacy when it comes to quality video games.

You should have went with "if we would have supported it then it would have sold more". Can anyone really question your brand loyalty? Can you really look at yourself in the mirror with a straight face and say sincerely that if improved on Sengoku, and maybe created your own hype (see ck2), that maybe it would have done better?

Honestly, it sounds to me like a cop out. I suspect the truth is whoever was in charge of the money was afraid of TW:Shogun 2. Which there is some truth to. But your games are vastly different genres, and that decision was made by someone that frankly, shouldn't have been in charge.

This is a two way street. You can't expect us to buy your game if you don't even believe in it.

This thread in combination with the other thread has dissuaded me from purchasing this game. When I first heard PI made a grand strategy game setting in Japan, I was very excited. When I saw the game didn't have any expansions, I was apprehensive. When I saw that on top of all of this, the game lost patch support very early on, I was extremely disappointed.

It did not lose patch support: unlike other PI games, Sengoku is practically bug-free.

I've seen the only dev respond here with the basic statement that "if it would have sold more then we would have supported it", and I know that while this dev is likely not actually in charge of how the money is spent, you have to know that this statement is a fallacy when it comes to quality video games.

You should have went with "if we would have supported it then it would have sold more". Can anyone really question your brand loyalty? Can you really look at yourself in the mirror with a straight face and say sincerely that if improved on Sengoku, and maybe created your own hype (see ck2), that maybe it would have done better?

Honestly, it sounds to me like a cop out. I suspect the truth is whoever was in charge of the money was afraid of TW:Shogun 2. Which there is some truth to. But your games are vastly different genres, and that decision was made by someone that frankly, shouldn't have been in charge.

EVERY game, when released, has an expected number of sales as well as required minimum (the amount of money invested in developing it). If that expected number is not reached, the game is considered a commercial failure and it is a bad idea to support it. If the game is around those numbers or goes far above them (like in CK2), they will continue to support the game.

Developing a game is very. very expensive so you can't just blindly support a game that makes no profit, especially if you are a small Developer that can't afford such financial loses so hoping that continued support and expansions manage to make more players buy it is way too risky. While I hope PI risks and releases at least one expansion, it is fully understandable if they don't. The gaming industry is simply too merciless.

This is a two way street. You can't expect us to buy your game if you don't even believe in it.

The game got patched, some of us devs even worked extra to add some features we felt would add to the experience. Hell we even added a new start scenario in the patches based on the work of our excellent research betas chatnoir17 and Sakura.
It had nothing to do with TW, nothing in Sengoku development had anything to do with TW. Contrary to popular belief, we had already started development when it they announced and (outside of the marketing department) TW was never really thought of as a competitor.
The hard truth is that we have to choose what we work on, development time is limited and EUIV and to some extent CK2 needed people working on them. I'd loved to make an expansion for Sengoku, but there are many great games to be made and we have to chose.

Reactions:
This is understandable. I think Sengoku has incredible charm and has its own place. I just wish there was just a little bit more meat on the game, a bit more flavour, more events, better polish etc. I have mentioned this a good number of times on this forum - all the hard work has been done already; names, map and family trees will never need to change again. This research never need be done again.

I think the best thing you could do is release updated Sengoku scenario as a CK2, or EU4 expansion. Sort of what chatnoir is doing already in his NMIH mod :unsure:

You really should reconsider - the game is practically bug-free(as in I dont recall encountering any since the last patch), and is very fun. Youre doing yourself a disservice by not giving this game a chance. No DLC? So what. Its still a great game. DLC is often overrated and under-impressing.

You can find this game really cheap sometimes, Id suggest waiting if youre apprehensive. I dont regret buying this game for full price, and have gotten my money's worth ... easily.

Don't release your game about feudal Japan the same year as Total War Shogun. That was some rotten timing.

I actually think you're dead wrong. I think PI is a great company that releases quality games that you just can't find from other companies. But they release niche games, that's for sure. I think it was a wise decision to release Sengoku at the same time as TW:Shogun 2. Not everyone cares about feudal Japan, and when the interest is high is the best time to release a game for maximum sales. I'm not saying this next comment as an insult, because even though I thought Shogun 2 was a great game and a technical showcase, I feel Sengoku is better overall, but having said that, it's wiser to ride the coattails of a larger company and a more anticipated game to drum up interest for your own product, than to release it on its own with less interest overall.

Case in point, a few years ago, I was just starting to learn of PI and solely played Civ ... I owned EU III and HOI III but didnt play them because I didnt have the time to learn their complexities. I never would have known about Sengoku if it had not been for Shogun 2. I saw the ads and read the happy articles about Shogun 2's impending release, so I started searching for other games of the same topic and period, because I used to play Nobunaga's Ambition on my Sega Genesis way back in the day(and it's still one of my favourite games). Not only did I find out about Sengoku from my own searches influenced by interest in TW:Shogun 2, but highly ranked articles in Google mentioned Sengoku in Shogun 2 write-ups, giving Sengoku more press than it would have received on its own.

Sorry for the long post.

Hey guys... I never register at any forums for games, but I like Sengoku so much... :)

I've got two questions you might be able to help me with based on this thread's content:

1) If Sengoku uses the same engine as CK2, would it be possible to use the Sengoku data files with my Linux CK2? I've sent an email to Paradox support asking if porting to Linux was possible for Sengoku since they did that for CK2, but got a rather curt reply.

2) Wouldn't fixing items like vassals asking for Kokujin titles too frequently be fixable through editing of files like vassal_events.txt, which has a nice section like:

#Vassal asks for Kokujin title
character_event = {
id = 10504
desc = "EVTDESC10504"
.... snip ....
}

I just bought this game the other day, and I'm quite pleased with it. I do wish it were more fleshed out, and I think things could be improved upon - the 'GIVE ME NEW TITLES' spam is very annoying, as is the NPC refusing to accept peace offers even when they're down to their last territory... But it's a fantastic game.

I've been intensely interested in Feudal Japan since I was a young man, 11 years old. I'm 26 now, and it's still just as interesting to me. The stories of Uesugi Kenshin and Takeda Shingen's battles have been fuel for my imagination since my childhood.

I do hope to see more done for this game in the future. I think it's a wonderful game and seeing it abandoned would be a real shame. I would also love to see the user mods come back in force. Makes me wish I had some talent for moding, but alas, I'm naught but a simple lurker...

Anyway, Paradox, love your work - keep it up!

• 1Like
Reactions:
I really hope they will put a dlc up or even continue with the patches

Yeah, just something to kind of round it up and officially end the project I guess.