advice to Paradox: HoI 2 > HoI 3

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Darkest Hour was my first paradox game ever, I really liked it, and then I played HOI3, and never looked back.

HOI4 should be iterative and include the best of both worlds. I suspect the necessity for micromanagement (which I don't mind, and some others don't mind) will be lessened, though - it's a barrier to more people playing the game. I'd prefer if the option remained to give orders to every division, but I won't be crushed if the emphasis is on high-level strategy. But yes, more decisions - learn from the popular mods for HOI3.

While this is purely personal opinion the main issue I have with HOI3 was the lack of immersion, sure micromanagement is nice but without immersion it it just looking at a mindless sandbox map. Even the tech tree is HOI3 was devoid of character, I much prefer the historical tech teams in HOI2. I always felt the HOI series in terms of grand strategy should be about fighting on massive fronts not micromanaging individual corps and brigades, that is why I prefer the simplicity of HOI2 along with DH and AoD.

While this is purely personal opinion the main issue I have with HOI3 was the lack of immersion, sure micromanagement is nice but without immersion it it just looking at a mindless sandbox map. Even the tech tree is HOI3 was devoid of character, I much prefer the historical tech teams in HOI2. I always felt the HOI series in terms of grand strategy should be about fighting on massive fronts not micromanaging individual corps and brigades, that is why I prefer the simplicity of HOI2 along with DH and AoD.

Agreed. Grand Strategy > Micromanagement.

I really liked the map [...] of HOI3
How can you say something like that? All the borders are in the wrong places. I agree that more provinces is good, but not when done like in HoI III.

Agree that a lot of the gameplay mechanics of HOI2 are better than HOI3. The scale of HOI2 is better with fewer units to handle.

HOI3 on the other hand is a lot prettier. So I play HOI3

Our goal is to do what we did between hoi1 & hoi2 and apply than on hoi3.

That would do it. All I remember of HOI1 was micromanagement out of scale

If it had the combat and micromanagement of Hearts of Iron 3
+
If it had the politics, espionage, post-/pre-war intrigue and ahistorical elements of Darkest Hour
You forgot:

+
If it had the industrial, economical and logistics systems of Arsenal of Democracy (+ diminishing returns, improves EVERYTHING).

Hoi2 (DH version) was better than HOI3 because HOI2 was a sandbox game, you could pretty easily do what ever you wanted with whatever nation, and let you be really ahistorical. HOI3 was extremely restrictive and didn't let you deviate from history or make your own game in any way. HOI2 was really simple and easy to pick up while still providing a challenging experience, HOI3 was a stat hell which divided your attention far too much away from the actual warfare and tried to focus more on the technology and diplomacy by making them counter-intuitive as hell. HOI2 was easily moddable with some great iconic mods stemming from it like Kaiserreich, WIF and WW1 that were essentially whole new games, while the modding scene in HOI3 was fairly stunted by the game's complex nature.

I'm in the "absolutely loved HoI2 (my first PDS game ever) and AoD and DH; got terrified by HoI3 when I tested the mechanics and uninstalled it, because I couldn't dedicate the rest of my life to the management of a virtual country" camp. So a HoI4 where the amount of micromanagement is apt for a human being would definitely get me back in the fold. I guess the over-the-top, evil-genius level complexity of HoI3 must have its own customer base too but, well, I'm not one of them. I'm not planning to marry the URSS and spend the rest of my life with her anytime soon :p

hoi3's style was superior. Give it hoi2 features like DH and AOD features with hoi3 style and it will be amazing :)

I'd just like to throw in, perhaps the main reason DH was better than HoI3 is that there really wasn't anything to do in HoI3 other than play a planned out war. DH you could take any nation and change your government over time to do whatever, but in HoI3 you can't force any change in your politics. Also, in DH combat is way easier, the in depth theatre stuff in HoI3 is a bit overcomplicated, it strayed away from the traditional tabletop wargame feel of hearts of iron. Other than that, I can't pin down why I loved HoI2-DH so much more than HoI3, but it's a good start.

hoi 3 + FTm + TFH>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hoi 2 + DH. I've played both, it is true that the hoi 3 have to spend many hours and it's like you married him, lol

In DH you could take any nation and change your government over time to do whatever, but in HoI3 you can't force any change in your politics.

Hoi4 will have much more options for the player when it comes to affecting country politics