Europa Universalis IV – Post Mortem Developer Diary – The End, of the Beginning

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thank you Paradox for a great game and experience. I love the 1.2 patches and the direction where the game is headed - although I would still like some love for the little countries - however this game is absolutely brilliant and addictive. Now please pay my detox bills for I am hooked to EU4 and I gave you all my money :D Just kidding, keep churning out those DLC's and true fans will keep buying them.

But I am also sad. I am sad sometimes because I feel that me and my friends are rare in our appreciation for patch 1.2. I hope more people will appreciate the changes and the new challenges.

Reactions:
We can't un-download it and that is the problem.
Won't help for this go around. But I highly recommend backing up all games, going forward.

I would like to know what you believe to be capable of achieving a WC, or why you have decided to intentionally make it impossible to do because of strategy or skill.
Way too early to say it's impossible. Austria/HRE still looks like the best bet to me, even if it's more difficult than it was before. Personal Unions and vassalization still seem rather awesome if WC is your goal.

There is too little developer input currently to provide meaningful directed feedback.
Meh. Sure, more would be nice. But it's still a small shop (recent success notwithstanding). Why would we want precious programming resources getting sucked into the dark void of user forums? They already have far, far more interaction on the forum than developers of any other game I've ever played.

I would still like to hear from a developer if that is the case and if they believe they have over or undershot the difficulty of doing it.
(The endgame last ~25% of the WC is what I'm particularly interested in but I'm not overly picky.)
I believe there were suggestions to that effect in the Development Diaries, IIRC. You might want to check through those.

Damn, I hadn't realized you could sue peace by right clicking the war icon. I always open the war popup and go from there.

That's one less click from now on.

2) My question was phrased as a two part question very intentionally, I did not mention any specific strategies to avoid "tainting the well" If their answer is that being catholic, forming the HRE and getting lucky PU's is required to have a WC that is an acceptable answer.

3) wasting 5 minutes of one of the programmers time in order to get directed feedback and example game play from at least hundreds of additional testers using their theoretical strategies is very likely a maximally efficient use of programming resources and bugfixing time.

4) Those sound very helpful, Link por favor?

"As you read this, we sure hope that you have already downloaded the first full post release patch for Europa Universalis IV v. 1.2"

We can't un-download it and that is the problem. No one is going to complain about stability improvements or added features, but that was not the primary change in the gameplay, it entirely prevented an entire subgenre of your playerbase from being capable of achieving its goals, and many scenarios that had several strategically distinct options available are now whitewashed and bland.

1.2 castrated any attempt at WC which was already nearly impossible, but still doable with dedication. There has not been a single word (to my knowledge) from the developers on why a 6x strength nerf on revolution, or 3x nerf on holy war, or a nerf on annexation etc were considered necessary.

You're welcome to sling any insults you'd like, but I would like to know what you believe to be capable of achieving a WC, or why you have decided to intentionally make it impossible to do because of strategy or skill.

There is too little developer input currently to provide meaningful directed feedback.

Regardless of how right you are, Paradox has a great history of fixing and balancing the game for a long period after release .. to make it eventually the ultimate balance to make it enjoyable for nearly everyone, so I am quite confident this problem will be fixed as well (even though I believe that the most difficult 'achievement' should remain very difficult to obtain, but obtainable nevertheless).

Not many companies actually listen to feedback customers give nowadays, it seems.

Huzzah!

Congratulations! You made a great game! And then you patched it to 1.2.

I look forward to all the changes you make to it in the future, and only hope that you can figure out how to make the game as fun as it was when you launched, so I can recommend it to my friends again.

Reactions:
Thank you so much for such a wonderful game and devious time sink. Seriously I am up to 313 hours played now. Keep up the great work and I cannot wait to see what you guys roll out next. (hopefully it will be some music dlc).

I'd love to hear if they've taken any steps to make the game playable for Mac customers.

This success is deserved Paradox ! Thank you for being so close to your community and working so hard on your games :).

Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis IV are masterpieces.

Thanks again from all the french community !

2) My question was phrased as a two part question very intentionally, I did not mention any specific strategies to avoid "tainting the well" If their answer is that being catholic, forming the HRE and getting lucky PU's is required to have a WC that is an acceptable answer.
I'm speculating, of course, but since they made other avenues more difficult, while making it easier to join provinces to the HRE and increased the possibility of vassalizing big nations, it seems that they might be making this the most likely (only?) path to a WC. The fact that they made it take longer to form the HRE might argue against, though.

3) wasting 5 minutes of one of the programmers time in order to get directed feedback and example game play from at least hundreds of additional testers using their theoretical strategies is very likely a maximally efficient use of programming resources and bugfixing time.
Yeah, but half the posts on here just want five minutes of developer time. If I were Fredrik or Johan, I'd severely limit who has the authority to respond in the forums at all, and how much time they're allowed to spend here; else things just get out of control, people get attitudes, and no revenue generating work gets done.

4) Those sound very helpful, Link por favor?
They're in a sticky. Can't recall which ones, and I doubt you'll find a "WC is forbidden" quote. It's more of a sense of where they were heading, vision wise. Interesting reading, though, if somewhat dated at this point:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...pa-Universalis-IV-Development-Diaries-Archive

Thanks for the great work guys, really enjoy EU IV in its complexity. Certainly one of my favorite games ever. :) Looking forward to see many updates, and many experiments on how to improve it even more. There were some constant hiccups with the 1.2 patch when it comes to stability (frequent crashes to desktop), but 1.2.2 happily solved them for me, it seems. So great job! Best of luck with this wonderful project.