Europa Universalis IV – Post Mortem Developer Diary – The End, of the Beginning

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
... So does anyone have ideas why the thread title has "post mortem" on it when nobody/nothing has died/ended? Does it refer to the Dev Diaries, which I suppose will no longer have any "sequels" since the game is already out? (Though that gets me wondering why they waited this long.)

None of us have conducting scientific opinion polls to figure out what a majority of players think. Enough independent names have popped up with similar concerns to indicate that there is a constituency that doesn't like the changes. Whether it's large or small, it's enough that I hope the developers pay attention - and there have been what strike me as pretty reasoned arguments for why changes would be appreciated.
I actually like the vast majority of the 1.2 changes, but dismissing those who disagree as "loud obnoxious minority" is insulting and not conducive to open discussion.

There's been lots of silly "whiner" vs. "fanboy" talk on both sides here. Am I expecting too much of players of a sophisticated, complex strategy games to not insult each other needlessly when they disagree about aspects of a game? Surely not.
Quoted for truth. I have yet to see solid proof that the complainers are in the minority, and conversely that the pro-1.2 are in the majority. In fact, I can say with certainty that more than a few of the complaints are not about things that were already there since the original release -- or if they technically were, then they're actually more about how 1.2 changed them in ways that are very much controversial.

I'm sure there's plenty of players who are glad 1.2 came out, but don't like all the changes.

I'm sure there's plenty of players who are glad 1.2 came out, but don't like all the changes.
I am glad of the stability and some of the other changes, but I think people should be able to play as they want not just as the game thinks they should, not enough to do during peace and being able to take so few province in a war against coalition members is annoying.

EDIT: Sadly I must say that I won't be playing vanilla anytime soon, CK2 and its mods are more enjoyable at the moment, and the various mods for EU4 such as the MNS and M&T which will be out soon seem to be more inline with what I want the game to be, enjoyable during both peace and war. Maybe once the game is at patch 1.8 or something it will be enjoyable again but the current release either a overreacted to some complaints or closed something that had been legitimate but potentially cheesy if you went to the extreme with it. While I like a few of the changes most aren't to my taste. I appreciate the devs attempts to solve some problems but they need to find a balance between the two current groups that are arguing in the forums. That and can we be given the option to revert to 1.1 for those that so desire it like in CK2? THat would make sense until 1.3 comes out and people calm down a bit on the issue.

Last edited:
... So does anyone have ideas why the thread title has "post mortem" on it when nobody/nothing has died/ended? Does it refer to the Dev Diaries, which I suppose will no longer have any "sequels" since the game is already out? (Though that gets me wondering why they waited this long.)
The development stage of the game is what has ended. It's fairly common to speak of conducting "post mortems" on projects that have been completed.

EU4 is a solid, fun game that I think will set the bar for the games to come.
And looking at what Paradox had done with the EU series, I'm eager to see what the future will bring us for the Victoria series!

Already sunk too many hours into EUIV, but after my exam on Tuesday I hope to waste many more with this game and finally get around to playing Heart of Darkness.

EU4 is one of the best strategy games I've ever played. Thank You, and I hope You will keep this very high standards in You next games. Depth and complexity with intuitive UI, that's the key.

Thank you for the amazing work! I've already spent 300+ hours of gaming into CK II and EU IV and it's absolutely amazing how a small dev studio like Paradox is making such outstanding global-RTS games, keep it up!

Oh, and I love Mann42 too.

What's the problem with Mac? (I mean that is not a problem with other OS's too).

Basically, it doesn't run properly at all, seems to be an issue with the graphics drivers; supposedly, the game has the same basic requirements as CK2, but with much worse performance. But Paradox hasn't really been answering our concerns about the issue at all, which is starting to get aggravating, when you consider that the game's been out for nearly 2 months and the only way to really get it to play is some pretty extensive workarounds.

Plus, there's the problem that, when the demo was released, it was PC-only, despite it specifically being listed on Steam as available for Macs. Thus, those of us that pre-ordered the game couldn't really get a feel for how unplayable it was.

No, Thank you :)

Congrats on the launch of a tremendous game, Paradox! EUIV is - without a doubt - one of my favorite games of all time. I love that you really dedicate yourselves to making games that us fans can plays for hundreds of hours. I can already tell that I'll be playing EUIV for years (and I'll be doing the same with CKII, Vicky II and HoI3).

My favorite part of this release is the CKII > EUIV converter. I'd LOVE if you made a similar system to convert EUIV to the next game in the timeline, whether it be Vicky II, Vicky III or some other GSG that hasn't been conceived yet.

I'm excited for whatever new DLC you release for EUIV! I'm not sure what you plan to expand on, but I'm looking forward to seeing EUIV grow into an even better game through the various DLCs you'll be releasing.

Much love! Keep doing what you're doing!

A post mortem is a common development term used to describe the write-up after you finish a game and launch it. It's a common way for game companies to review the project as a whole after it's done.

Its most common and useful form is as a retrospective document that outlines what went right during the development process, what went wrong, how the team can improve next time, and what processes the team should keep that worked well this time. It's also a review of what game systems worked properly, what turned out to be less fun than expected, and what unexpected surprises and lessons were learned about the game itself.

Post mortems are generally written up within 3 months of the game launch, so things are still fresh in the mind. There's also usually a review process that occurs up to a year later, to see if the assumptions of the post mortem were correct.

While the original post is a nice sentiment, I wouldn't really call it a real post mortem, or at most, it's page one of a post mortem followed by an indirect appeal to the playerbase for patience and reminder that they actively patch. Post mortems are almost always broken down by category, and there's only one here "The Plan". I'll forgive the guy though, since it appears he was home sick :)

Great news on the sales and continued support. Really enjoying CKII and now EU, which I had never quite managed to get into before.