Europa Universalis IV – Post Mortem Developer Diary – The End, of the Beginning

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
great, but i do hope you guys manage to fix the long held problem of having Croatia as a annexed part of Hungary.
While it both in eu2 and Historically was in a sort of personal union with Hungary as leader.
(atleast give Croatia & Bosnia Unique National ideas)

Hoppas du kan ta upp detta med dina programmerare.

Thanks for a fun game.

Yeah I've thought about this as well. Call me a perfectionist, but it irks me that Croatia isn't independent or playable in ironman mode this way D:

Thanks for all the hours you've put into your games, I appreciate them so much!

Is there someway you could maybe hire someone who has good experience in multiplayer coding to help out with EU's MP. I just don't understand why there has to be out of syncs and stuff, are the out of syncs not something that is possible to get rid of?

No, thank you guys for both producing such a great game, and for taking the time to make sure it was released in such a playable state. Other companies ignore this last part and it really does have a big effect. This is one of the many reasons Im such a big paradox fan and will continue to be. Keep up the good work, and I will continue to reward you with my money

Congratulations are in order on EUIV's deserved success. It's a great game and I'm hooked on it same as I was with HoI3 and CK2. I also think you deserve much cred for EUIV working so well out of the box on day 1 - the patches are thick with game play tweaks and improvements and amazingly light on bug fixes. Unusual for a game of this scope and complexity and says a lot about your engine and your skill. I think you hit some kind of zeitgeist (or do I mean archetype?) with CK2, maybe it's the family intrigue thing, whatever, it hit the spot with a lot of new fans fed up with the same old same old and maybe looking for a more meaty gaming experience. Here's hoping EUIV does the same, it's certainly good enough.

Paradox I'd like to thank you for your dedication to BOTH the quality of your games and the warmth with which you deal with this sometimes very fractured community. :) A few years ago I got really burned by two companies I thought I could trust to make great games (Creative Assembly and Bioware) and was hesitant to trust another company with their pips, but after great titles like EUIII, CK2, Magicka and now EUIV I've come to love again. As long as you keep making these lovely games I will keep my wallet open to you!

"As you read this, we sure hope that you have already downloaded the first full post release patch for Europa Universalis IV v. 1.2"

We can't un-download it and that is the problem. No one is going to complain about stability improvements or added features, but that was not the primary change in the gameplay, it entirely prevented an entire subgenre of your playerbase from being capable of achieving its goals, and many scenarios that had several strategically distinct options available are now whitewashed and bland.

1.2 castrated any attempt at WC which was already nearly impossible, but still doable with dedication. There has not been a single word (to my knowledge) from the developers on why a 6x strength nerf on revolution, or 3x nerf on holy war, or a nerf on annexation etc were considered necessary.

You're welcome to sling any insults you'd like, but I would like to know what you believe to be capable of achieving a WC, or why you have decided to intentionally make it impossible to do because of strategy or skill.

There is too little developer input currently to provide meaningful directed feedback.

Reactions:
CK2 and EUIV are the two best strategy games out there. A big thanks to everyone involved for both of them. The biggest problem with the games is that they take up almost all of my free time :)

Yeah, hail Paradox, masters of the universe, etc. Now say something about 1.3, the "vibrant debate" in the last week has pointed out a lot of issues to address already :p

1.2 castrated any attempt at WC which was already nearly impossible, but still doable with dedication. There has not been a single word (to my knowledge) from the developers on why a 6x strength nerf on revolution, or 3x nerf on holy war, or a nerf on annexation etc were considered necessary.

You're welcome to sling any insults you'd like, but I would like to know what you believe to be capable of achieving a WC, or why you have decided to intentionally make it impossible to do because of strategy or skill.

For years now, Paradox tried to make a WC impossible for anyone (but the highest skilled players who will always find a way). And finally they seemed to have achieved their goal (no seriously, this was their goal for both EU and CK series... Vicky already had it impossible so no problems there).
Or in other words: being able to accomplish a WC was never WAD.

And thats my favorite part of the patch... now they should make the peace game interesting for non-HRE as well.

Reactions:
A very enjoyable game and big improvement from EUIII in every way. Although there are some balance issues to be worked out, it's fun and immersive to play already and it's obviously been a labour of love for the folks at Paradox, so thank you much.

I would also add my belief that hotfixes should only be only be for crashes/critical issues. I would suggest leaving changes that affect game balance to the major scheduled patches where they go through a wider QA process.

Big congratulations. EU4 is an immense achievement both in terms of design and fun, and I hope you're all as proud as you should be. :)

Ignoring the miles of difference between "impossible" and "Highest skill = possible" I would still like to hear from a developer if that is the case and if they believe they have over or undershot the difficulty of doing it.
(The endgame last ~25% of the WC is what I'm particularly interested in but I'm not overly picky.)

For years now, Paradox tried to make a WC impossible for anyone (but the highest skilled players who will always find a way). And finally they seemed to have achieved their goal (no seriously, this was their goal for both EU and CK series... Vicky already had it impossible so no problems there).
Or in other words: being able to accomplish a WC was never WAD.

And thats my favorite part of the patch... now they should make the peace game interesting for non-HRE as well.

I recall a topic awhile back. The OE is still mathematically capable of WC.