Europa Universalis IV Developer diary 13 – FREEEDOM!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
All queen wheren't good rulers so a Queen could have stats of 0/0/0 in worst case a regular Queen could have 2/2/0 (adm/dip/mil) so they're by default often low stats.

You dont need to be a warrior by trade to be over 0 in MIL stat. If youre "quick" (smart) and intelligent these things could very well translate into superior military management (for every man that fights, there how-many-men doing the logistics etc), and even decision making (picking a movement route can be just as important as fighting the enemy).

I like 'The Commonwealth' personally. Its how people referenced the country at the time.

And yes, by this metric, the HRE was often called 'The Empire', but so what. That would actually be a cool name for a united HRE too.

You dont need to be a warrior by trade to be over 0 in MIL stat. If youre "quick" (smart) and intelligent these things could very well translate into superior military management (for every man that fights, there how-many-men doing the logistics etc), and even decision making (picking a movement route can be just as important as fighting the enemy).

You're right. I thought was to show a bit of their interests because there where queens (and kings) that didn't care about their position as ruler. Some people just liked their titles and partying which just give dip points. I don't meant that everyone is unable to lead the military but the most queens don't pay interest in warfare. But well give them 1 in stats or 1/1/1 we have kings that should have it to Adolf Fredrik king of Sweden or maybe 1/2/1 never really cared about ruling but his wife did.

rebels with a cause is somewhat useless tho. You arent exactly likely to hand over land you have fought for with peasant blood just to get some rebels to go away. You have killed to take them, and you damn well are ready to send more peasants to kill this particular brand of uppity peasants.
In other words, its a non choise.

Now, buying off the ring masters and have them betray their cause...

*Spits coffee out* THE COMMONWEALTH!! Poland would have even been a better tag for Poland-Lithuania.

If Lithuania is the senior partner forming it why would they call it Poland...?

I like 'The Commonwealth' personally. Its how people referenced the country at the time.

And yes, by this metric, the HRE was often called 'The Empire', but so what. That would actually be a cool name for a united HRE too.

The HRE was called "The Empire", at least on maps. Many old maps from when the HRE existed have "The Empire" plastered over Germany.

still calling a country by the name of it's government form (like it was the one and only and ultimate) doesn't make any more sense at all...

That was what it was called. Are you saying that all those Poles and Lithuanians who referred to it as that were wrong?

That was what it was called. Are you saying that all those Poles and Lithuanians who referred to it as that were wrong?

no, they weren't wrong ofc. but from now on you gonna name every country as their inhabitants were/are calling them? and if not why Poland-Lithuania? which is a pretty good name even for a country formed by Lithuania - and at least that's a name foreigners are most familiar with.

The United Kingdom in Victoria 2 have the same problem for you?

to be honest, yes. problem with non-general names is that they could easily become very arbitrary in certain situations. like Ottomans with any other dynasty than Osmanli. but that's another subject.

still calling a country by the name of it's government form (like it was the one and only and ultimate) doesn't make any more sense at all...
The official name at that time was Rzeczypospolita Obojga Narodów, translated literally as Commonwealth of Both Nations, so Commonwealth isn't a bad idea.

Returning to rebels:
Will be the possibility of diplomatic negotiations with them or even change direction of their rage?

The official name at that time was Rzeczypospolita Obojga Narodów, translated literally as Commonwealth of Both Nations, so Commonwealth isn't a bad idea.

Returning to rebels:
Will be the possibility of diplomatic negotiations with them or even change direction of their rage?

If we speak of what nations refers to in names in from other nations only in Sweden we are speaking of the Moscovites until Peter I when it changed to Russia, Poland or Saxony-Poland during king August, Denmark, sorry Norway you where forgotten as a nation between 1536-1815, The Imperial States sorry HRE and Austria, The Netherlands as Holland, Great Britain called England just England even today ^^

So yes The Commonwealth is a good name.

It seems a good idea to me that a Monarchy should become a Republic only via revolutionary means in the ernd it seemed always strange to me that a King decided voluntary to become a Republic... this never happened historically!

Is this valid on the other way around, too?
Then a Republic cannot become a Monarchy simply by decision?

I could imagine a sort of event chain from Republican Dictatorship or Noble Republic to Monarchy ... in which in the first the Lord Protector or the elected King in the other obtains more and more power and in the end it decides to become the "King" (see the Roman Republic for an example of this)?

A contrary of the revolution...

With theocracies how to change government form? Similarly to Monarchies I suppose :mellow:

Do you have added new government form?

A propose of "The Commonwealth" the Lithuania-Polish elected a King not a Prince this is to change? Or the ruler of that giant nation is simply a Prince as the ruler of the OPM Pisa :laugh: ?

I Think that if you want to change to republic if you are for example a monarchy, you can accept simply their requests (with some malus) instead to wait to be besieged by rebels in a non sense mode.

At least be consistent: if you're going with The Commonwealth, then have The Roman Empire for that bit of purple around Thrace.

Awesome Dev Diary! But that colour in Russia.. awful. Make it greener. Please.

to be honest, yes. problem with non-general names is that they could easily become very arbitrary in certain situations. like Ottomans with any other dynasty than Osmanli. but that's another subject.

Like The Knights or The Mamelukes? Or, for that matter, the Mongol Khanate - it's not even the largest Mongol khanate in the game.

But people do not ask for a change for them.

Freedom !

Is this about william wallace ? heheh , kidding , This dev diary is really interesting ! , it will give us the feeling of a dinamic and realistic gameplay with People doing things and not the world fixing itself alone . Thanks paradox !

Actually, the Polish-Lithuanian union is commonly known simply as The Commonwealth in Russian historiography. I can only assume that case is not unique and much the same is true in other languages too.

At least be consistent: if you're going with The Commonwealth, then have The Roman Empire for that bit of purple around Thrace.

How is that more or less consistent than the present situation?