Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
We can't afford anything like this, the best bet would be buoys. We could create buoys that last for a few years and have active sensors on them and drop them on jump points.

Sensor Buoys are a possibility, yes. I'll look into it. If I'm going to build some, I should do it soon... since I'm strongly considering shutting down our missile factories. Again.

We can't afford anything like this, the best bet would be buoys. We could create buoys that last for a few years and have active sensors on them and drop them on jump points.

Heresy!

Nothing instils true fear in the hearts of charlie like giant space stations and fear is the best deterrent there is!

Last edited:
You could create a patrol vessel class, that would be small, with large sensors, and minimal weapons, easy to assemble, no?

Good idea, but it doesn't have to be a patrol ship. It can be a dedicated Sol system defense class, freeing the actual fleet for other duties. Also, if the jump gates lead to charlie system, then we can use them for ...other purposes as well. So the fleet is a operative fleet, while these ships (complemented with whatever jump-capable ships the other fleet can spare) will take up the brunt of intra-system mobile garrison.

Whats the timestep of the game? You mentioned the fleet being hours and minmutes away, and I read some AARs on the official fora that went on for years.

Whats the timestep of the game? You mentioned the fleet being hours and minmutes away, and I read some AARs on the official fora that went on for years.

There is a whole row of "Turn" buttons, varying from five seconds to thirty days. you can click any one you like to end your turn.

I normally play one day at a time, except in very tense situations where I might advance the clock only a few seconds to minutes at a time.

OK, I've looked into Buoys. The most advanced one that we can create which will fit into our existing ship's launchers... assuming that they are deployed through the missile tubes... will last less than a year before its reactor expires. So we would have to replace them periodically. Worth doing? They would have a 75,000 km active sensor.

OK, I've looked into Buoys. The most advanced one that we can create which will fit into our existing ship's launchers... assuming that they are deployed through the missile tubes... will last less than a year before its reactor expires. So we would have to replace them periodically. Worth doing? They would have a 75,000 km active sensor.

Defence ships are better. :mad: Though, we can do both! Buoys for the short term, defence ships for the long term!

I vote yes. They can be handy to have in any future needs as well.

Defence ships are better. :mad: Though, we can do both! Buoys for the short term, defence ships for the long term!

Defense ships are a long-term proposition. Designing one. Waiting for a slip to become free. Tooling it up. Building them.

But how much do they cost each?

Maybe three bucks each. That's still a few hundred bucks for a production run, of course, since I won't be building them one at a time... I want to SHUT DOWN the freakin' missile factories, to save money. So I'll have to build enough of them to last us a few years.

Defense ships are a long-term proposition. Designing one. Waiting for a slip to become free. Tooling it up. Building them.

Yessir, however, if we have a financial crisis, perhaps retooling the shipyards (if possible) at this point is not such a bad idea? Would that save money?

I think it costs money to retool.

Yes, it does.

Do you think 50 Buoys will be enough for a few years? If we deploy or replace a dozen of them per year, that's a four-year supply... by which time, we'll probably be re-activating our missile factories anyway.

Currently we have 2,001 missiles in the warehouse, plus the ones in our ships (and PDC's) magazines, plus the ones loaded in the tubes. Nearly all of the most modern type.

That probably sounds like an unnecessarily large number of missiles, but bear in mind that a single RADAR/Point Defense base can fire 90 missiles PER MINUTE.

Then again, all combat reports I've had or read elsewhere lasted a matter o seconds, usually a five or six salvos max.

Yes, it does.

Do you think 50 Buoys will be enough for a few years? If we deploy or replace a dozen of them per year, that's a four-year supply... by which time, we'll probably be re-activating our missile factories anyway.

Currently we have 2,001 missiles in the warehouse, plus the ones in our ships (and PDC's) magazines, plus the ones loaded in the tubes. Nearly all of the most modern type.

That probably sounds like an unnecessarily large number of missiles, but bear in mind that a single RADAR/Point Defense base can fire 90 missiles PER MINUTE.

50 sound fine, what jump points did you want to put them on?

If the PDC was firing it would be safe to assume that Charlie became hostile and I don't know how long we would last. But assuming that their ships took about 10 to 15 successful volleys to take down of say 2 missiles each then the stocks should last. Also if war was declared then we can ramp up missile production and cancel something else.

Then again, all combat reports I've had or read elsewhere lasted a matter o seconds, usually a five or six salvos max.

Sometimes not that easy, if there happens to be either a massive fleet of ships there will be point defenses in place and they will hamper our volveys coupled with the chance of hitting a ship moving at speed (which I believe is good for the missiles we have) can add up to a load of missiles in a very short space of time.

I figure we've got plenty of missiles, yes... but it takes six months to start the factories up again after I shut them down (zero production for the first six months), so I wanted to stockpile enough missiles to last through the first six months of any unforseen war.

50 sound fine, what jump points did you want to put them on?

One at each end of the Sol => Ross 248 jump point, one at each end of the Sol => Procyon jump point, one at each end of the Ross 248 => Nexus jump point... that covers all the path to-and-from our colony worlds... and perhaps one at the near end of the Ross 248 => Groombridge 34 jump point. That's seven per year. Hold the rest in reserve for contingent use.

If the PDC was firing it would be safe to assume that Charlie became hostile and I don't know how long we would last.

Anyone who attacks Earth directly is probably in for a shock, unless their tech is just grotesquely higher than ours. When Charlie was closing in on Earth, he was in a cross-fire that could deliver 174 size-4 to size-8 missiles in the first salvo, without reloading. That should totally saturate his point defenses, allowing nearly half of the missiles to hit.

In my rule-of-thumb calculations, I count on his Point Defense taking out about half of our missiles... until it's saturated, when all the rest get through... after which about half of the missiles that penetrated his point defense should score hits.

Last edited:
The 32nd Engineer Brigade under Brigadier Quift, deployed on Dravar XV, has uncovered an alien construction factory which can be adapted to our use. Stonewall had earlier shipped in seven construction factories from Earth, so this brings the total up to eight. All eight are busy building more construction factories, to expand the colony's capabilities.

The Battle Fleet has finished another quick overhaul... something I do whenever there's a lull in the action, to keep their maintenance clock close to zero for any unexpected action... and can now deploy the first few Sensor Buoys at our jump points.

Mid-January, 2029. The Battle Fleet has completed a short overhaul and returned to space. Each ship off-loaded one ship-killer missile and four point defense missiles in order to make room in the magazines for each ship to carry two sensor buoys each... a squadron total of eighteen sensor buoys between the nine ships. They will begin by dropping buoys on each end of the Sol => Ross 248 jump point.