Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
reporting for duty Sir:)...The Thor will be the best survey vessel in Earth's forces. Do you have any specs on the Thor?
As a commander of a ship, I would imagine that death might happen if an accident or war happens?

So what next?, what needs to be sent to Mars to take those resources?

Stuckenschmidt said:
That also means, that the Schnitzel will come in handy soon.

The ESNA Schnitzel is warming up its engines as we speak. We need to send out Infrastructure to support Colonists... and I'm not even sure any has been BUILT yet, it's only the start of the second game-week.

Independant of that, we can immediately start shipping out Automated Mines, since they don't need a work-force to run them. We can follow that with the second Mass Driver that we build... we'll need to keep the first-built one here on Earth, since BAD THINGS HAPPEN if a Colony or Mine sends you a multi-ton express mineral shipment via magnetic catapult and you DON'T happen to have a second magnetic catapult already at the destination to CATCH it.

Last edited:
Dang it, you've got me addicted to this game too! And right before finals! Eh, well, shipify me. ;)

reporting for duty Sir:)...The Thor will be the best survey vessel in Earth's forces. Do you have any specs on the Thor?
As a commander of a ship, I would imagine that death might happen if an accident or war happens?

G_003_LordB.jpg

No weapons, no armor, no shields. If something really nasty happens, you should try your best to be somewhere else at the time... say, two or three star-systems away.

EDIT: Politely declining the offer of an all-expense-paid vacation on Earth, Commander Billy Bob finishes filling out his Assay Log for Mars, and then sets course for the nearest Asteroid, to continue his survey.

G_004_BBout.jpg

Last edited:
Commander is just fine, that's all Rackham was IIRC. Hopefully your game doesn't have too much of a sense of humour about it.

I guess I expected Phobos and Deimos to be represented, but it's still a lot of stuff to consider. Any chance of a look at somewhere like Saturn, to see just how detailed this is?

Commander is just fine, that's all Rackham was IIRC. Hopefully your game doesn't have too much of a sense of humour about it.

I guess I expected Phobos and Deimos to be represented, but it's still a lot of stuff to consider. Any chance of a look at somewhere like Saturn, to see just how detailed this is?

G_005_Saturn.jpg

Teep said:
Could I either be a Governor or Public Affairs officer of the General Staff?

Sure... someone else is in line for Governor of Mars, though, so I'll put you on the Naval Staff until we have a colony for you.

EDIT: still on the January 7th turn, telesien has been appointed Governor of Earth's first colony... Mars.

(He asked a few posts before Taklagarn did)

Teep has been appointed as the new Public Affairs Officer at Fleet Headquarters.

G_006_Teep.jpg

... check out the "Personality Traits" box! :rofl:

Last edited:
I'm glad common sense took hold there, no need for however many moons they're up to now (60+?). Still, a baker's dozen of the larger ones still makes for some serious detail once you get to other systems.

I'm glad common sense took hold there, no need for however many moons they're up to now (60+?). Still, a baker's dozen of the larger ones still makes for some serious detail once you get to other systems.

The game typically generates about 1000 to 1200 stars for the local segment of the Orion Arm. I've seen Gas Giants with over 30 moons... multiply that by the number of systems, and that's a lot of objects to track.

January 8th, 2025. Minor quantities of high-grade ore located on Asteroid #1. Not worth going after, with Mars hanging in the sky over our heads.

January 11th, 2025. Further massive quantities of assorted ores located on Venus by Commander Rackham. Total tonnage exceeds 50 million tons, but the ores are extremely low-grade (nearly all in the 10% to 20% range, with none exceeding 30%) and quite difficult to extract considering the hostile environment of Venus. They will be considered as "Reserves" for the future. Possibly, the FAR future.

Is this just spreadsheets and rudimentary star maps
This.

... or is there actually a "game" behind it?? :confused:
... and also this.

Personally, I find it to be one of the best games I've ever played. Different strokes, though.

You forgot about me blue emu :(
I asked to be added as an captain/commander pages ago :(

Commander Octavian Dorieus has been assigned to the Mayflower class Colony Transport ESNA Mayflower, and tasked with establishing a colony on Mars.

Is this just spreadsheets and rudimentary star maps, or is there actually a "game" behind it?? :confused:

Spreadsheets and maps aren't a game? :confused:

It's not like Paradox games are that different, even if the maps are better ;)

Good to see more sources found, even if they're inaccessible for now. Mind you, the asteroid belt and assorted gas giant moons could well be a better source than Venus for the rest of the game, given how hospitable Venus is.

January 11th, 2025. Further massive quantities of assorted ores located on Venus by Commander Rackham. Total tonnage exceeds 50 million tons, but the ores are extremely low-grade (nearly all in the 10% to 20% range, with none exceeding 30%) and quite difficult to extract considering the hostile environment of Venus. They will be considered as "Reserves" for the future. Possibly, the FAR future.

We need more Schnitzel (yes, the plural of Schnitzel is Schnitzel).

Good to see more sources found, even if they're inaccessible for now. Mind you, the asteroid belt and assorted gas giant moons could well be a better source than Venus for the rest of the game, given how hospitable Venus is.

We could probably deal with the hostile environment, by using entirely Automated Mines. It's the low ore-grade that's the main problem. A mine that would produce 16 tons per month from a rich source will only produce 1.6 toms per month from a 10% grade source.

Can I please see my personal traits Emu ?

Also I am coming after your job Ärjylä !

G_007_Edzako.jpg

... at least you're not an impoverished drug addict like Teep.

Incredible. Haven't had such a good feeling about a game in a long while; it feels a bit like X-Com. I wish this had come out ten years earlier when I still had the time for games like this. Will definitely follow this AAR and play vicariously.

Would it make sense, by the way, to replace one of the missile-carrying fighters on the carrier with a fighter carrying no armament but a strong active radar? You could launch it when entering a system, which would mean the carrier would profit from the signal intelligence but would not be at risk to be discovered and targeted itself. The loss of the radar-fighter would be easier to replace than the loss of an entire carrier.

Also, may I suggest that one Attitude class vessel is christened the "Suicidally Insane"?

Would it make sense, by the way, to replace one of the missile-carrying fighters on the carrier with a fighter carrying no armament but a strong active radar? You could launch it when entering a system, which would mean the carrier would profit from the signal intelligence but would not be at risk to be discovered and targeted itself. The loss of the radar-fighter would be easier to replace than the loss of an entire carrier.

Good plan.

Also, may I suggest that one Attitude class vessel is christened the "Suicidally Insane"?

I had in mind a whole gamut of Attitudes, including Berserk, Homicidal, Totally Pissed Off, and so on.