• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks, and welcome to the first entry in the development diary for Crusader Kings II!

I am Henrik Fåhraeus, project lead on this sequel to the original Crusader Kings (on which I worked as co-designer.) Crusader Kings was a game quite different from our other franchises, in that the focus was on the powerful people of the era rather than on countries. You played a ruler, got married, had kids and watched them grow up to stab you in the back. As such, Crusader Kings was a bit of a role-playing game, while still retaining the strategy game elements of our other titles. Personally, I loved the combination, and, judging by the clamor for a sequel, it appears many others did as well. We are still proud of Crusader Kings, but time waits for no man, and the game is getting on in years...

As it happens, Crusader Kings II is coming along nicely, and, starting with this one, you should be seeing monthly CKII development diaries coming your way (on the first Thursday of the month). With Crusader Kings II, we are not trying to reinvent the wheel. Rather, we want to build on the strengths of the original game and fully realize its potential. That is not to say that Crusader Kings II will be the same game with new graphics, but it should feel instantly familiar to CK players.

What makes CK unique among our games is its character system and its RPG-like elements. The role of the player is clear since there is a ruler, a character, to identify with. The player is the king, and it's good to be the king! In Crusader Kings II, we aim to really hone in on the importance of characters - their personalities, interests and interactions - and to tone down the relevance of "countries". The sum total of the Prestige your successive rulers have gathered throughout the game determines your final score; not the size of your realm at game end. Of course, a major source of Prestige is the power of your family, your Dynasty. In fact, die without an heir from your dynasty and it's time to INSERT COIN.

The core gameplay, then, revolves around increasing the power of your dynasty and ensuring that you always have a legal heir with strong enough support. The death of your current ruler is the moment of truth: who will support the legal heir? Have you even managed to ensure one? Will anyone contest the succession? Unlike Crusader Kings, where your vassals would declare war on you simply because they disliked you (regardless, even, of their chance of success), in Crusader Kings II they are much more likely to bide their time and cause trouble during a succession crisis. The key is to choose the best Succession Law... For example, Gavelkind is almost guaranteed to be safe from succession crises. On the other hand, Gavelkind will divide your titles equally among your sons, splintering the realm and potentially decreasing your power.

I mentioned toning down the concept of countries. Here are some highlights: there is no Infamy/Badboy. Neither do characters have "loyalty", and neither is there a persistent relations value between countries. CKII is all about the characters, their opinions of each other, and their clash of interests. Therefore, we have merged the aforementioned concepts into a single opinion value between -100 and 100. I.e. what one character feels about another character... and why. The value is a sum of modifiers, like "Friend of Father's: +5", "Granted a Duchy: +30", "Betrayed Alliance: -20", etc.

Of course, characters will have traits, genetics and neat portraits like in Crusader Kings and EU:Rome. If you want to breed a dynasty of redheaded Harkonnen look-alikes, go ahead (with my blessing). Oh, and characters will age visibly; I shall leave you with a screenshot demonstrating the effect!

attachment.php

Next month: Barons - why Vladimir hated Leto

Attachments

• Diary001_01.jpg
    Diary001_01.jpg
    146,8 KB · Views: 39.105
Last edited:
New portraits certainly look more realistic, no doubt in that. I like them artistically.

CK1 isn't completely serious game (as indicated by some traits chosen, and by events and phrasing of their texts). Current portraits fit this style perfectly. Maybe the sequel will have different feel (more like simulation?) and it requires different artwork. I look forward to it and am at least as much exited as you are.

Absolutely! CK without cynicism would be like EU3 without Comet Sighted! Impossible!
I don't think that the art style contributed much to that. In my opinion, the old faces weren't funny either, and much more ugly than the new style. And I am sure there will be a fair share of humor in this game, no doubt!

PS: Art style, of course, is always a matter of personal preference, so it's just my subjective opinion :) I just don't agree that the new ones lack character or such nonsense.

Portraiture advanced a great deal during the medieval period. To truly represent the art of the times you'd need probably 3 or 4 template "styles" that gradually become more detailed and representative as the centuries march past. That's an awful lot of work for not much benefit (though in an ideal world where paradox had unlimited time and resources I would love to see such a system). I think the style shown in this dev diary is a great improvement over CK1's rather bland profile shots and that's all I can ask.
And why does it have to "truly represent the art of the times"? What's wrong with just picking a style from the High Middle Ages (or some other period) that's recognizably medieval? That's good enough for me.

I'm liking what I'm seeing in this DD. Getting rid of BB is a pretty radical change and I'm interested in seeing how that works out. Also, if it's not too much, can you please make it so all of the female portraits don't look like horrible trolls anymore?:rofl:

I second the request for some decent looking women. I spent way too much time searching for a potential bride in CK1. :p

A good variety would be best.

And why does it have to "truly represent the art of the times"? What's wrong with just picking a style from the High Middle Ages (or some other period) that's recognizably medieval? That's good enough for me.
Because the poster specified that the current style is "anachronistic". If you choose one style of historical portraiture and then have it represent 400 years of history it's going to be just as anachronistic because it'll only be relevant for maybe 50 years, 100 at the very most.
It's better to have quite a neutral modern style as shown in the dev diary, and assume that it is a lifelike representation of the person, rather than a poor attempt at any particular style of historical painting.

I second the request for some decent looking women. I spent way too much time searching for a potential bride in CK1. :p

A good variety would be best.

hells yes! :p

there could be a possibility for an expansion covering 1450-1550 by the way (just throwing it out there)

I am envisioning a 'Dune' mod even before the game is developed. Great news. Take your time. Do it right. Sign me up for Beta Testing. ;)

First I want to thank the dev team for making the game and the dev diary!
Second, I read what people wrote and I belive that the clothes and jewelry should be affected by more reasons than what you wrote, such like events, the gold that the character has and the traits. I know that this is a lot of work and just can`t be made but it would be really nice. I played CK1 a lot and there were moments when I just watched some portraits .. it is quite fun.
this is just my opinion.

+1
I'd like to pose in front of my gold stacks or my fierce fortress or even in front of the liberated city of Jerusalem

I really like the way friendly and enemy relations are tallied. It sounds like a great system and it means that friendships and rivalries between characters can actually mean something instead of being something the equivalent to a small gift of bribe money every decade or two. It sounds like it would actually be worth cultivating friendships!

Awesome. Changes to the game mechanics sound good, and I do like the portraits. Of course, you've set the bar high and we now expect wealth to affect the portraits. :p While that'd be great, I'd rather the devs spend time on the game mechanics than create a massively complex portrait system.

I really like the RP focus but the characters appearence should be a bit more rough and realistic in my opinion. I'd rather have a king looking like a hobo drunkard (in contemporary meaning) than a plastic surgoned schoolboy. The last portrait is looking great though.

Did you ever play the Viking Invasion expansion to the first Medieval: Total War? The character portraits in that game looked pretty rough. Mousey looking women with blotchy skin rashes. It was great. Unless you like roleplaying beautiful princesses and handsome princes.

This is very good news indeed. I like the direction this sequel is going in. Keeping the strengths of CK1 and focusing on the roleplaying aspect. I was slightly apprehensive because CK1 is my absolute favourite game and some recent sequals have been buggy, rush-job, dumb-downed, cash ins taking away rather than adding features (civ5 anyone). But this DD has stirred me out of my cynicism. That portrait looks far better than what I was expecting too. Very nice, medieval illuminated manuscipt vibe without hideous quasimodo hobo "realism" some people favour. I am hoping that there sill be some tie in between traits and the portraits (at the very least court roles, ie. armour and helm for marshal, bishop chapeau for ecclesiatical etc).

I see taking away badboy is a wise step (this was the era of religious and familial loaylties not Nationalism).

I dont quite understand how the new -200 / +200 relations works... I mean every single character couldnt have this modifier to every other of the thousands of characters in the game could they?

But very positive and optermistic after reading this thank you for the Dev Diary Doomdark

I always liked the consept of Crusader Kings. The implementation not so much. Here's hoping you get both things right this time around!

after long time something promising from paradox?

Status
Not open for further replies.