• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #70 - Feature Game Jam (part 2)

16_9.jpg

Welcome to the final Victoria 3 dev diary for 2022! Last week we took a look at some experimental features and prototypes our team worked on during our recent Game Jam. For the background and purpose of this initiative please refer to last week's diary.

Something that may not have been clear in that diary is that a regular allotment of Personal Development Time (PDT) is an integrated part of game dev culture at Paradox. Team members may use this time as they wish as long as it is something that hones their craft and makes them grow as developers.

The Game Jam initiative is a way of funneling that energy into prototypes for Victoria 3 features, and even if not everything will make it into the game (sorry lizardfolk fans!), pushing against the limits of what we know we can do with the game is important to increase quality and developer skills in the long run. In other words, the Game Jam hasn't taken any scheduled time away from bug fixing, UX and feature improvements, and balance changes. These are and remain our top priority, with patch 1.2 now fully in the works. As always, we are reading your comments and feedback carefully and incorporating many community suggestions in the next free update.

That said, let's jump into it, because there's a lot of fun stuff to cover! First up, team Map Graphics Enchantment:

Hi, my name is Ilya and I am a gameplay programmer on Victoria 3, you might have seen me in the past on Stellaris and HOI4 streams. I’ve been mostly focused on implementing gameplay graphics for the last two years on the project and wanted to use the time during game jam to push the immersive living map experience even further.

So I gathered a team of three other people (two amazing artists Daniel and Paul and one amazing programmer Viacheslav) who were as excited about enhancing map graphics as me. Here are our results!

Pavement upgrades to dirt roads when player researches Paved Roads
DD70_1.png

Items along the roads, railroads and sea lanes that could be reflective of time
DD70_2.png

DD70_3.png

Building highlighting on the map, so players feel the connection between buildings growing in the UI and on the map
DD70_4.png

Our team actually won the game jam, which I am incredibly proud of :) I wish you all Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from the map graphics enchantment team!

Adding more contextual detail to the map, making you feel like your country is changing and evolving with the times, is something we'd love to improve! While it's not top of our priority list at the moment, you can fully expect to see such visual details bringing historical, immersive flavor to the game eventually.

We're absolutely ecstatic about the building highlighting functionality since it gives you a much closer conceptual connection between the UI and the map. A bit more work is needed here but we are definitely going to try to get this in the game sometime in 2023.

Next up, something yours truly (Mikael) worked on. Technically I didn't participate in the Game Jam, but everyone being busy with their own secret skunkworks projects meant I had some time to hunker down and make something I've been thinking about for a while but never had the chance to try out: Government Quick-Select Options for the Reform Government panel.

DD70_5.png

With the Legitimacy calculations becoming a bit more complex with patches 1.1.x, it can be pretty hard to predict which combinations of Interest Groups are good together since it depends on the groups that are already there. Victoria 3 isn't really supposed to be a puzzle game, so I figured let's just make the computer do the heavy lifting here. Whenever you click the Reform Government button now, the game runs through every single valid government combination and sorts them by Legitimacy. The top three options are available to you to quick-select at the press of a button. You can even select an option that's almost right and then make tweaks to it before confirming, reducing a lot of the puzzling you previously had to do.

This functionality, along with tweaked Ideological Incoherence, Legitimacy balance overhaul, and changes to government composition rules to prevent Legitimacy death spirals, should already be in your hands with patch 1.1.2 when you read this!

Next we have a team that worked on a prototype for something very Victorian: graverobbing museums!

We are team The Mummy Returns, composed of Daniel, Iris, Henrik, Konrad, and Vicka. We spent our game jam week developing a new feature: Museums! Our goal was to represent the 19th and early 20th Century obsession with plundering the world for other people’s priceless cultural treasures as a game mechanic. In your Museum, you can exhibit Artifacts for prestige and propaganda.

DD70_6.png

This is Britain’s Museum - each country can only have one Museum, buildable only in the capital state. Museums have a limited number of Artifact Slots, determined by the Museum’s Production Methods which are unlocked by society techs - including the new Archaeology tech which also acts as a gateway to archeological expeditions. You can recover Artifacts from expeditions and other gameplay content; they can be anything from priceless treasures from centuries past, to works of art, to modern ideological propaganda.

In addition to the Museum and Artifact mechanics, we also experimented with a new type of archeological expedition. Unlike exploratory expeditions, you won’t need to worry about Peril as the excavation proceeds. Instead, you must strike a careful balance between progress and Recklessness; Recklessness will speed up your progress, which will allow you to complete the expedition before funding is cut off, but build up too much and you risk damaging the site and being unable to receive the best possible rewards. Here's Vicka to present the outline of that expedition:

Hello. My name is Victoria, also known as Vicka. Some of you may know me as AcresOfAsteraceae, or as Pacifica from my work on the TNO mod for HOI4. I am a new content designer on the Victoria 3 team, and the designer of the Valley of the Kings expedition, here to present more details regarding the specifics of the expedition itself.

DD70_7.png

This expedition was designed to follow the rough outline of the historical expedition to excavate the tomb of the Pharaoh Tutankhamun, carried out by Howard Carter. Upon researching the new technology for archaeological sciences, and securing one’s relationship with Egypt, one can dispatch an expedition to the Valley of the Kings in order to search for valuable historical knowledge - and, of course, staggeringly valuable loot. The imperative to secure other people’s priceless historical treasures is a powerful one - and it is one that the Great Powers of Victoria 3 shall pursue to the fullest in their search for both power and prestige.

DD70_8.png

On the site in the Valley, the expedition team will be faced with numerous challenges and decisions. The practical difficulty of excavating a long-forgotten site in a remote area will quickly become apparent - and the dichotomy between getting the expedition done quickly, and getting it done properly will rear its head.

DD70_9.png

If one takes too long to complete it, the powers that be in your home nation will pull its funding - but if one rushes ahead too much, catastrophe may well strike, tearing down sections of the tomb and limiting the rewards one may collect.

DD70_10.png

DD70_11.png

Finally, if both fortune and practice align in a manner favorable to your archaeologist, the expedition will return home bearing a treasure trove of artifacts. Well, of course, either that, or the few meager scraps that they could pull out of the rubble that they left behind.

DD70_12.png

DD70_13.png

This team's explorations into new types of game content here is really interesting and may be something we delve deeper into in the future!

Finally, we have team Incredible Experience, who spent their time on making some lovely enhancements to the tech tree:

Hi! I’m Aron, one of two UX Designers on the Victoria 3 team. During the Game Jam, I teamed up with one of our Programmers (Can), our 2D Art Lead (Kenneth) and our Producer (Daniel), to rework and improve the User Experience of the tech tree in our game, and oh man did we have fun doing so!

The tech tree is a beast, both visually and as a code-base, and is a perfect candidate for a face lift. Currently, there is no way of queueing up tech research and no way to see at a glance what a tech unlocks. However, the biggest issue is the readability at the furthest zoom level. The text is way too small to read, but if you are not that far zoomed out you can’t really get a good overview of the tree.

We tried to tackle all these issues all at once, aiming for the highest cloud.

This resulted in a barrage of fixes, big and small. Let’s start with the small but impactful changes:
  • Increased text size on all zoom levels.
  • Default camera view set to the furthest zoom and at a better position.
  • Color-coded tabs.
  • New icon representing a group of modifiers.

Now to the bigger changes.

We show all the unlocks of a tech directly on the tech in the tree, not only in the tooltip. They are now grouped by icon and type, and have their own group tooltip
DD70_14.png

DD70_15.png

DD70_16.png

We made splines highlightable so they can change color depending on context + clearer highlighting of the techs themselves to be able to see at a glance what has been researched and what is currently researching. The splines and the techs share the same color scheme for the 4 different states:
  • Already researched tech has a paper brown look.
  • Researchable techs are green. (not the splines though as it did bloat the screen and mess with the visual hierarchy a bit too much)
  • Currently researching techs are blue.
  • Not researchable techs are dark grey/black.

DD70_17.png

Finally, the technology queue. I am still amazed we managed to pull this off in less than a week and even managed to iterate quite a few times on the UX Design for this feature. The core thing here is the ability to queue up which technology will be researched after the current research is completed. We set a few goals ranging from must-have to nice-to-have.
  1. The player should be able to queue the next research.
    1. Queue unlocked research.
    2. Queue several techs.
    3. Queue locked research.
    4. A universal way of clicking on the tech in the tree to queue it up.
  2. A visual representation of the queue somewhere on the tech tree screen.
  3. Clear visual feedback and distinction between putting a tech in the queue and start researching it.
  4. Present the queued up tech’s time left to finish researching in all essential places. (tooltips and in the visualization of the queue)
  5. Remove techs from the queue.
  6. Clicking on a tech will clear the queue and start to research that tech instead.
  7. Shift + clicking on a tech will put it in the queue.
  8. Directly click on a locked tech and automatically queue up the prerequisites in front of this tech in the queue. This will clear the queue first.
  9. Shift + click the locked tech and automatically put this tech + prerequisites in the back of the queue. This will not clear the queue first.
  10. Alt + click a tech to add it to the top of the queue.
  11. Rearrange the order of the queue.

Believe it or not, but we managed to get to point 9 in this list. Let me show you how it looks. In the below image I have just clicked directly on Flamethrowers far down in the Military tech tree (because Flamethrowers!). This queues up all needed techs for me to get to Flamethrowers in the end. Notice the numbers that display the position in the queue for each tech and the splines highlighting the way. If I were to shift + click Stormtroppers here, it would put that tech + any needed prerequisites at the back of the queue.
At the top of the screen you can see the queue nicely queued in the correct order with a max cap of 5 shown tech icons. It is capped at 5 since this screen needs to be responsive for any players that play on 1600x900 or with a higher UI-scaling, which we of course want to support for accessibility reasons. Any additional techs queued above the 5 first can be found under the +X numbered button to the right of the queue.

I can remove any specific queued tech by clicking the X-button visible on each queued tech at the top.

DD70_18.png

DD70_19.png

We worked hard on displaying the information correctly to the player in each and every context. As an example of that, you can see in the tooltip in the image below, we added a prompt in the tech tooltip with our normal green formatting for prompts that tells the player to either click this researchable tech (Field Works) to start to research it immediately, or shift + click to queue it up. For any players that will have trouble finding this prompt, we also added a plus button at the top left of each tech to queue up the tech without having to shift + click (not all players read tooltips, believe it or not).

DD70_20.png

I can’t wait til we actually get this into the game and the actual regular pipeline, and we get to spend some more time polishing it up and in the end get it out to you guys.

If you want to read up on the cool dynamic algorithm we use to generate our tech tree, here are a few links:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Layered_graph_drawing
https://paginas.fe.up.pt/~ei05067/documentos/bibliografia/Layout.pdf
http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:882369/FULLTEXT01.pdf
http://www.it.usyd.edu.au/~shhong/fab.pdf

The tech tree improvements drastically increase usability and are in most respects a finished set of features, so these changes will be coming to version 1.2!

In conclusion, this was an incredibly successful Game Jam week for us in the Victoria 3 development team: several finished features were developed that will be coming in the next major patch, we pushed the boundaries of what is possible within the game, and produced a bunch of experimental working prototypes that we can build on for the future. We hope you enjoyed the sneak peek!

We will be back with more dev diaries after the winter holidays (sometime mid- to late-January) with more details about what the future for Victoria 3 will hold, particularly for the free 1.2 patch. We hope you have a lot of fun with the game until then. I know we will!

Attachments

• DD70_8.png
    DD70_8.png
    1,4 MB · Views: 0
  • 156Like
  • 55Love
Reactions:
This comment is reserved by the Community Team for gathering Dev Responses in, for ease of reading.

magriboy0750 said:

Good evening,a great DD and all of this are great changes.However,a question regarding the building-on-maps feature.How will it work for modded buildings,is it necessary for us modders to create building 3d models or can we use generic templates for this ?I ask this because i have some modded buildings for personal use but i have no skills in 3d graphics at all.
Thanks for any replies about this.
You can use existing models for your mod buildings! Just copy/paste a building definition that's close to what you want and start from there.

Shinkuro Yukinari said:

Are there plans to flesh out the tech tree with more techs and/or making the time-period penalty possibly less punishing? As it stands the feature might lead to rather inefficient tech usage in the long run, say if I wanna get Dynamite, Trench Infantry or Pan-Nationalism ASAP, which is fairly common at a certain point.
We'll add more tech to support new features, not just for the sake of adding new techs (narrator's voice: he's secretly thinking of dozens of new mechanics just to justify adding more tech). One thing we are planning to do though is explain the ahead-of-time mechanics better, because right now too many players fall into the trap of rushing late era tech. In case you weren't aware, the penalty scales with the number of techs not yet researched in the previous era, so if you flatten your progression in each tree a bit you will get better bang for your buck.

Ancillary said:

This new archeology feature sounds like great new content, but will the game reward always be prestige? I don't know about anyone else, but for me, prestige is a really underwhelming resource. Once you've made it to the great power club, the actual number of your ranking is completely irrelevant, and maintaining your status through steady economic growth is trivial against the hapless AI. It'd be cool if prestige had more tangible benefits in-game besides determining rank: Maybe additional persuasion for certain diplomatic agreements, increased migration targeting, or further infamy reduction?
Great feedback! We do plan to make Prestige more valuable in the future - in many ways it's as close to a "score" you can get in the game - but it's a good point and we can certainly expand the effects.

Atey said:

One thing that would improve immersion, in my opinion, is if the way I built the cities got saved and the city layout didn't change every time I reload a save.
There are complicated technical reasons for this (beyond save game size, that is) but it's on my wishlist for the future too. Fun fact: in early development, they'd change layout every time they went off screen :D

MathyM said:

Is this only for each category (Production, Military, Society), or across all categories?

In other words, will researching Era II technology for Production and Military speed up research for Era III technology for Society?
The penalty applies only in its own category, so if you're behind on Society tech it doesn't affect the cost of Military tech and vice versa.

• 8Like
Reactions:
I never even realized that there were urban building models other than the generic house/factory/palace. Highlighting the presence of these models sounds like an excellent way to make the graphical models more relevant to the player as well as being aesthetic.

Good luck on polishing this up to official build quality!

(P.S. It would be nice if the state could take over funding archaeological expeditions if they time out. I know I would be slightly put out if taking proper care of historical artifacts was an always-lose condition.)

• 42Like
Reactions:
Welcome to the final Victoria 3 dev diary for 2022! Last week we took a look at some experimental features and prototypes our team worked on during our recent Game Jam. For the background and purpose of this initiative please refer to last week's diary.

Something that may not have been clear in that diary is that a regular allotment of Personal Development Time (PDT) is an integrated part of game dev culture at Paradox. Team members may use this time as they wish as long as it is something that hones their craft and makes them grow as developers.

The Game Jam initiative is a way of funneling that energy into prototypes for Victoria 3 features, and even if not everything will make it into the game (sorry lizardfolk fans!), pushing against the limits of what we know we can do with the game is important to increase quality and developer skills in the long run. In other words, the Game Jam hasn't taken any scheduled time away from bug fixing, UX and feature improvements, and balance changes. These are and remain our top priority, with patch 1.2 now fully in the works. As always, we are reading your comments and feedback carefully and incorporating many community suggestions in the next free update.

That said, let's jump into it, because there's a lot of fun stuff to cover! First up, team Map Graphics Enchantment:

Hi, my name is Ilya and I am a gameplay programmer on Victoria 3, you might have seen me in the past on Stellaris and HOI4 streams. I’ve been mostly focused on implementing gameplay graphics for the last two years on the project and wanted to use the time during game jam to push the immersive living map experience even further.

So I gathered a team of three other people (two amazing artists Daniel and Paul and one amazing programmer Viacheslav) who were as excited about enhancing map graphics as me. Here are our results!

Pavement upgrades to dirt roads when player researches Paved Roads
View attachment 927376

Items along the roads, railroads and sea lanes that could be reflective of time
View attachment 927377

View attachment 927378

Building highlighting on the map, so players feel the connection between buildings growing in the UI and on the map
View attachment 927379

Our team actually won the game jam, which I am incredibly proud of :) I wish you all Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from the map graphics enchantment team!

Adding more contextual detail to the map, making you feel like your country is changing and evolving with the times, is something we'd love to improve! While it's not top of our priority list at the moment, you can fully expect to see such visual details bringing historical, immersive flavor to the game eventually.

We're absolutely ecstatic about the building highlighting functionality since it gives you a much closer conceptual connection between the UI and the map. A bit more work is needed here but we are definitely going to try to get this in the game sometime in 2023.

Next up, something yours truly (Mikael) worked on. Technically I didn't participate in the Game Jam, but everyone being busy with their own secret skunkworks projects meant I had some time to hunker down and make something I've been thinking about for a while but never had the chance to try out: Government Quick-Select Options for the Reform Government panel.

With the Legitimacy calculations becoming a bit more complex with patches 1.1.x, it can be pretty hard to predict which combinations of Interest Groups are good together since it depends on the groups that are already there. Victoria 3 isn't really supposed to be a puzzle game, so I figured let's just make the computer do the heavy lifting here. Whenever you click the Reform Government button now, the game runs through every single valid government combination and sorts them by Legitimacy. The top three options are available to you to quick-select at the press of a button. You can even select an option that's almost right and then make tweaks to it before confirming, reducing a lot of the puzzling you previously had to do.

This functionality, along with tweaked Ideological Incoherence, Legitimacy balance overhaul, and changes to government composition rules to prevent Legitimacy death spirals, should already be in your hands with patch 1.1.2 when you read this!

Next we have a team that worked on a prototype for something very Victorian: graverobbing museums!

We are team The Mummy Returns, composed of Daniel, Iris, Henrik, Konrad, and Vicka. We spent our game jam week developing a new feature: Museums! Our goal was to represent the 19th and early 20th Century obsession with plundering the world for other people’s priceless cultural treasures as a game mechanic. In your Museum, you can exhibit Artifacts for prestige and propaganda.

This is Britain’s Museum - each country can only have one Museum, buildable only in the capital state. Museums have a limited number of Artifact Slots, determined by the Museum’s Production Methods which are unlocked by society techs - including the new Archaeology tech which also acts as a gateway to archeological expeditions. You can recover Artifacts from expeditions and other gameplay content; they can be anything from priceless treasures from centuries past, to works of art, to modern ideological propaganda.

In addition to the Museum and Artifact mechanics, we also experimented with a new type of archeological expedition. Unlike exploratory expeditions, you won’t need to worry about Peril as the excavation proceeds. Instead, you must strike a careful balance between progress and Recklessness; Recklessness will speed up your progress, which will allow you to complete the expedition before funding is cut off, but build up too much and you risk damaging the site and being unable to receive the best possible rewards. Here's Vicka to present the outline of that expedition:

Hello. My name is Victoria, also known as Vicka. Some of you may know me as AcresOfAsteraceae, or as Pacifica from my work on the TNO mod for HOI4. I am a new content designer on the Victoria 3 team, and the designer of the Valley of the Kings expedition, here to present more details regarding the specifics of the expedition itself.

This expedition was designed to follow the rough outline of the historical expedition to excavate the tomb of the Pharaoh Tutankhamun, carried out by Howard Carter. Upon researching the new technology for archaeological sciences, and securing one’s relationship with Egypt, one can dispatch an expedition to the Valley of the Kings in order to search for valuable historical knowledge - and, of course, staggeringly valuable loot. The imperative to secure other people’s priceless historical treasures is a powerful one - and it is one that the Great Powers of Victoria 3 shall pursue to the fullest in their search for both power and prestige.

On the site in the Valley, the expedition team will be faced with numerous challenges and decisions. The practical difficulty of excavating a long-forgotten site in a remote area will quickly become apparent - and the dichotomy between getting the expedition done quickly, and getting it done properly will rear its head.

If one takes too long to complete it, the powers that be in your home nation will pull its funding - but if one rushes ahead too much, catastrophe may well strike, tearing down sections of the tomb and limiting the rewards one may collect.

Finally, if both fortune and practice align in a manner favorable to your archaeologist, the expedition will return home bearing a treasure trove of artifacts. Well, of course, either that, or the few meager scraps that they could pull out of the rubble that they left behind.

View attachment 927389

This team's explorations into new types of game content here is really interesting and may be something we delve deeper into in the future!

Finally, we have team Incredible Experience, who spent their time on making some lovely enhancements to the tech tree:

Hi! I’m Aron, one of two UX Designers on the Victoria 3 team. During the Game Jam, I teamed up with one of our Programmers (Can), our 2D Art Lead (Kenneth) and our Producer (Daniel), to rework and improve the User Experience of the tech tree in our game, and oh man did we have fun doing so!

The tech tree is a beast, both visually and as a code-base, and is a perfect candidate for a face lift. Currently, there is no way of queueing up tech research and no way to see at a glance what a tech unlocks. However, the biggest issue is the readability at the furthest zoom level. The text is way too small to read, but if you are not that far zoomed out you can’t really get a good overview of the tree.

We tried to tackle all these issues all at once, aiming for the highest cloud.

This resulted in a barrage of fixes, big and small. Let’s start with the small but impactful changes:
  • Increased text size on all zoom levels.
  • Default camera view set to the furthest zoom and at a better position.
  • Color-coded tabs.
  • New icon representing a group of modifiers.

Now to the bigger changes.

We show all the unlocks of a tech directly on the tech in the tree, not only in the tooltip. They are now grouped by icon and type, and have their own group tooltip
We made splines highlightable so they can change color depending on context + clearer highlighting of the techs themselves to be able to see at a glance what has been researched and what is currently researching. The splines and the techs share the same color scheme for the 4 different states:
  • Already researched tech has a paper brown look.
  • Researchable techs are green. (not the splines though as it did bloat the screen and mess with the visual hierarchy a bit too much)
  • Currently researching techs are blue.
  • Not researchable techs are dark grey/black.

Finally, the technology queue. I am still amazed we managed to pull this off in less than a week and even managed to iterate quite a few times on the UX Design for this feature. The core thing here is the ability to queue up which technology will be researched after the current research is completed. We set a few goals ranging from must-have to nice-to-have.
  1. The player should be able to queue the next research.
    1. Queue unlocked research.
    2. Queue several techs.
    3. Queue locked research.
    4. A universal way of clicking on the tech in the tree to queue it up.
  2. A visual representation of the queue somewhere on the tech tree screen.
  3. Clear visual feedback and distinction between putting a tech in the queue and start researching it.
  4. Present the queued up tech’s time left to finish researching in all essential places. (tooltips and in the visualization of the queue)
  5. Remove techs from the queue.
  6. Clicking on a tech will clear the queue and start to research that tech instead.
  7. Shift + clicking on a tech will put it in the queue.
  8. Directly click on a locked tech and automatically queue up the prerequisites in front of this tech in the queue. This will clear the queue first.
  9. Shift + click the locked tech and automatically put this tech + prerequisites in the back of the queue. This will not clear the queue first.
  10. Alt + click a tech to add it to the top of the queue.
  11. Rearrange the order of the queue.

Believe it or not, but we managed to get to point 9 in this list. Let me show you how it looks. In the below image I have just clicked directly on Flamethrowers far down in the Military tech tree (because Flamethrowers!). This queues up all needed techs for me to get to Flamethrowers in the end. Notice the numbers that display the position in the queue for each tech and the splines highlighting the way. If I were to shift + click Stormtroppers here, it would put that tech + any needed prerequisites at the back of the queue.
At the top of the screen you can see the queue nicely queued in the correct order with a max cap of 5 shown tech icons. It is capped at 5 since this screen needs to be responsive for any players that play on 1600x900 or with a higher UI-scaling, which we of course want to support for accessibility reasons. Any additional techs queued above the 5 first can be found under the +X numbered button to the right of the queue.

I can remove any specific queued tech by clicking the X-button visible on each queued tech at the top.

We worked hard on displaying the information correctly to the player in each and every context. As an example of that, you can see in the tooltip in the image below, we added a prompt in the tech tooltip with our normal green formatting for prompts that tells the player to either click this researchable tech (Field Works) to start to research it immediately, or shift + click to queue it up. For any players that will have trouble finding this prompt, we also added a plus button at the top left of each tech to queue up the tech without having to shift + click (not all players read tooltips, believe it or not).

I can’t wait til we actually get this into the game and the actual regular pipeline, and we get to spend some more time polishing it up and in the end get it out to you guys.

If you want to read up on the cool dynamic algorithm we use to generate our tech tree, here are a few links:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Layered_graph_drawing
https://paginas.fe.up.pt/~ei05067/documentos/bibliografia/Layout.pdf
http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:882369/FULLTEXT01.pdf
http://www.it.usyd.edu.au/~shhong/fab.pdf

The tech tree improvements drastically increase usability and are in most respects a finished set of features, so these changes will be coming to version 1.2!

In conclusion, this was an incredibly successful Game Jam week for us in the Victoria 3 development team: several finished features were developed that will be coming in the next major patch, we pushed the boundaries of what is possible within the game, and produced a bunch of experimental working prototypes that we can build on for the future. We hope you enjoyed the sneak peek!

We will be back with more dev diaries after the winter holidays (sometime mid- to late-January) with more details about what the future for Victoria 3 will hold, particularly for the free 1.2 patch. We hope you have a lot of fun with the game until then. I know we will!
All those changes are cool, but I honestly think you should prioritize world balance so that game does not become pointless after 60 years (stronger AI led countries, rn countries like russia are just broken) and fixing some of the most broken parts of warfare.

• 2Like
Reactions:
All those changes are cool, but I honestly think you should prioritize world balance so that game does not become pointless after 60 years (stronger AI led countries, rn countries like russia are just broken) and fixing some of the most broken parts of warfare.
Why must there always be uninformed comments like this. Not every Paradox employee can work on diagnosing, fixing, and testing bug reports. And even for the ones that do, sending them into the code mines to do "hardcore engineering" on them 24/7 actually does not improve completion rate, let alone quality.

• 11Like
Reactions:
These are developers choosing to do what they like, and honing the skills they wish to hone, in a time allotted for this very purpose. This is not done in bug fixing time, or AI improvement time.

Forcing them down a direction would go against the idea of personal development time. Also, most of their time is already directed at things that are high on the priority list, which probably includes the things you mentioned. These are prototypes put together in a week, not the main features of 1.2.

Please don't be toxic about it. I think this is a lovely company policy, and I love seeing the results of devs experimenting with what they want to work on.

• 13Like
Reactions:
All those changes are cool, but
This makes you sound like you didn't read the first three paragraphs of the dev diary you quoted-in-full in your post.

I point you to the following in particular:

"In other words, the Game Jam hasn't taken any scheduled time away from bug fixing, UX and feature improvements, and balance changes."

• 41Like
Reactions:
Good evening,a great DD and all of this are great changes.However,a question regarding the building-on-maps feature.How will it work for modded buildings,is it necessary for us modders to create building 3d models or can we use generic templates for this ?I ask this because i have some modded buildings for personal use but i have no skills in 3d graphics at all.
Thanks for any replies about this.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
Love it!! I especially can't wait for the tech queue, it looks amazing!

One thing I'm a little concerned with-- will there a gameplay need for prestige once you're a GP? Other than vanity.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Why must there always be uninformed comments like this. Not every Paradox employee can work on diagnosing, fixing, and testing bug reports. And even for the ones that do, sending them into the code mines to do "hardcore engineering" on them 24/7 actually does not improve completion rate, let alone quality.
I'm not directing my comment at whatever or whoever you actually mean. I don't know much about what you talk about nor do i care.

I have my source of dissatisfaction with the game - very specific - so I talk about it. This is my reason of any activity on this forum as of now. As for what you might or might not mean in your comment, it does not matter to me, but I suppose it might matter to others, hence i started that commemt with "cool... "

• 8Like
Reactions:
It are logical improvements but the absence of stockpiles (of course this tech is now not in tech tree at all) is : (
Implementing stockpiles would allow for more types of strategies as well as some features back from vic2 eg. sphere of influence.

With research i must say to also take some things from vic2 back it was done so well there, and also we have now complete absence of westernisation teching.

As you are so attached to the plan economy with +/- every building a replacement could be to just allocate a funding slider +/- to a particular industry and let the people
and business owners in the country do the work and surprise you with what they they have build of course you give a hint in case you want somewhere down the line eg.
a quiet impressive ship, tea house or museum. But plz no fantasy buffs like this with thois huge increase in prestigetutanchamon mask

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
These are developers choosing to do what they like, and honing the skills they wish to hone, in a time allotted for this very purpose. This is not done in bug fixing time, or AI improvement time.

Forcing them down a direction would go against the idea of personal development time. Also, most of their time is already directed at things that are high on the priority list, which probably includes the things you mentioned. These are prototypes put together in a week, not the main features of 1.2.

Please don't be toxic about it. I think this is a lovely company policy, and I love seeing the results of devs experimenting with what they want to work on.
I don't know about their company policy and it is not subject of interest to me. I just express my dissatisfaction with the issue I care about and other do not concern me much. I imagine I have the right to do so.

• 11Like
Reactions:
I did not expect to see TNO Pacifica on the Vic3 team. 2022 keeps up with the surprises.

Out of all the changes personally I'm most interested in the tech tree improvements. Are there plans to flesh out the tech tree with more techs and/or making the time-period penalty possibly less punishing? As it stands the feature might lead to rather inefficient tech usage in the long run, say if I wanna get Dynamite, Trench Infantry or Pan-Nationalism ASAP, which is fairly common at a certain point.

Reactions:
If you will add with archaeology the restoration and study of historical sites like Roman Forum and making them similar to great wonders/special buildings like Vatican and Haigha Sophia it would be great.

• 3Like
Reactions:
But plz no fantasy like this tutanchamon mask a bit of increase in prestige is acceptable.
The funerary mask of the 14th century BC pharaoh Tutankhamen is an actual object, uncovered by the expedition led by Howard Carter, which is currently housed in the Egyptian Museum in Cairo.

I see no "fantasy" elements in this screenshot.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I agree but the art team doesn't handle balancing. This is just some nice little side project for them to make the world prettier.

Also you seem to have woken up the red X brigade I haven't seen them for a few weeks. So well done there.

• 14Like
Reactions: