• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #56 - Ascension Perks

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Today we'll be talking about a feature that was hinted at in last dev diary, Ascension Perks. Ascension Perks are related to the Traditions and Unity system, but is a paid feature in the (unannounced) expansion accompanying the 1.5 'Banks' update, rather than a part of the update itself. Those without the expansion will get full access to the Traditions and Unity features, but not to the Ascension Perks themselves.

Ascension Perks
The idea behind the Ascension Perks is to provide more unique unlockable features for Empires, and to provide the player with the ability to determine an 'endgame' for their species: What their empire is striving towards. Perhaps your goal is to go all-in on AI, replacing the frail biological bodies of your pops with immortal machines, or to harness the psionic potential of your species and reach a higher form of existence, allowing your empire to tap into other planes of being? All these and more are covered by the Ascension Perk system.
2017_01_12_2.png

Each time you complete a Tradition tree, you will unlock one Ascension Perk slot, of which there are 8 in total. There may also be other ways to unlock slots, such as from certain rare technologies or as a reward for a particular event chain. This slot can then be filled with any of the Ascension Perks available to you. The final number of perks is not yet set down, but there are currently more than 20 and there will likely be more added. Ascension Perks have pre-requisites, which can for example be a particular technology or tradition, a certain number of Ascension Perk slots to be unlocked, or a specific ethos or government type. Some Ascension Perks are one-offs that simply provide a bonus to a particular area of your empire: For example, a bonus to border range, or cheaper terraforming. Others unlock new features, such as the ability to construct new types of space structures (more on in later dev diaries).

Finally there are the three 'Species Endgame' paths: The biological path, the spiritual path and the synthetic path. These three paths each consist of two perks, the first of which unlocks access to the second once a number of other pre-requisites have been met. The paths are mutually exclusive, and once you start heading down one of them, the other two are locked off.
  • The Biological Path focuses on mastery over biological evolution. The first level of it gives access to more gene points and significantly cuts the cost of genemodding projects, while the second level expands the options available during genemodding in addition to further providing more points and less cost.
  • The Psionic Path focuses on developing the psionic potential of your population. The first level unlocks new psionic technologies and benefits, while the second level allows your empire to reach a higher level of existance and communicate with the beings present there.
  • The Synthetic Path focuses on the replacement of biology with machinery. The first level allows you to turn your population partly synthetic through the use of cybernetics, while the second level replaces your biological pops with robots, turning your empire entirely synthetic.
2017_01_12_1.png

That's all for today! Next week we'll be talking about the concept of species rights and obligations.

Also about eating pops.

Reactions:
The Species Engdame paths have an almost Beyond Earth feel to it.

Which isn't bad by any stretch; the Tradition/Harmony/Supremacy mechanics were perhaps the only thing that BE did right.

Reactions:
  • The Biological Path focuses on mastery over biological evolution. The first level of it gives access to more gene points and significantly cuts the cost of genemodding projects, while the second level expands the options available during genemodding in addition to further providing more points and less cost.
  • The Psionic Path focuses on developing the psionic potential of your population. The first level unlocks new psionic technologies and benefits, while the second level allows your empire to reach a higher level of existance and communicate with the beings present there.
  • The Synthetic Path focuses on the replacement of biology with machinery. The first level allows you to turn your population partly synthetic through the use of cybernetics, while the second level replaces your biological pops with robots, turning your empire entirely synthetic.
So I was just not imagining those pairings.

"The times where the bowed to the Asgard are over."

My first thought was how awesome it would be to have my species suffer a terrible tragedy should they attempt to ascend too soon...

My second thought is what if a species were to pursue time travel as a way to ascend; before these pesky competing races ever developed?

Others unlock new features, such as the ability to construct new types of space structures (more on in later dev diaries).

Here lies Princess Stabbity. She died happy of hype poisoning, throwing money at the screen.

Reactions:
+Wiz

how will going full AI in the ascension perks will affect the AI revolt end game crisis?
How does it work?

It causes the most bad-ass confrontation in the galaxy in the entire history of galaxies. What is more badass than "Cyborgs" vs "Robots".

It's a while away, that's all I can say right now.

thats horrible, dont fear me that much man

is it a top secret for marketing purpose or you all dont know yet how much time (and work) it will take to deliver us a good expansion

cant wait to spend money on that, i can live with early spring, everything else its horrible imagination :(

Reactions:
Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Today we'll be talking about a feature that was hinted at in last dev diary, Ascension Perks. Ascension Perks are related to the Traditions and Unity system, but is a paid feature in the (unannounced) expansion accompanying the 1.5 'Banks' update, rather than a part of the update itself. Those without the expansion will get full access to the Traditions and Unity features, but not to the Ascension Perks themselves.
Oh, this is interesting. I'm curious this will interact with modding? Will the base game contain the necessary infrastructure for custom perks to function or will our users require the DLC in order to access it at all?

A thing that might be neat for the game, since fleshing out the end-game seems to be the focus of this expansion, would be the ability to Fall as an empire.

The way I'd see it, one could have a button appear when appropriate conditions are met (for example, the victory conditions or some of the Ascension paths are chosen) which would allow the player to "retire" their empire. As a result the game would convert the existing Empire to an appropriate Fallen Empire, reduce its' size appropriately, while possibly leaving some "special" events to recover remains of the empire in future runs, and populate the Galaxy with new young empire, giving the player the ability to meet the predecessors and topple them too! As a bonus, various Ascendency paths and/or EndGame Cirses could lead to some variations, like the Fallen Player Empire becoming the new Unbidden...

Bascially it would create a new galaxy like CK2->EU4 converter does, only it'd be Stellaris->Stellaris ^.^

Reactions:
Not sure why everybody is asking how it will work with the AI rebellion. As the AI rebellion does not work, has not worked since the game was released.

So I am hoping Paradox fix it, and actually make the end game crisis fun and not just unbidden over and over again. Was a massive selling point pregame and such a massive disappoint.

Hopefully this expansion and update will make Stellaris finally start to feel like a full game.

Reactions:
These look really good.

@Wiz One concern I have at the moment however is how gene modding currently works.
Once you unlock some trait points and 'upgrade' your species (By selecting all pops), once its completed, any pops born after the event are not altered (In a current game, I selected all pops (which was around 800), however on completion of the project, I had around 100 'unconverted' pops)
Also, your newly altered pops are not considered part of the original species anymore and suffer happiness penalties

Reactions: