• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #42 - Heinlein patch (part 3)

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. This is the third part in a multi-part dev diary about the 'Heinlein' 1.3 patch that we are currently working on. This week's dev diary will be about more miscellaneous changes and improvements coming in the patch, currently planned for release sometime in October.

Federation/Alliance Merger
When Federations were given the ability to vote on invites and wars, alliances became a bit of an odd duck in the Stellaris diplomacy. A middle layer between the 'loose' diplomacy of defensive pacts and joint DOWs, they ended up as little more than a weak form of Federation that's usually swapped out the moment the latter becomes available. In Heinlein, we've decided to retire alliances altogether and have Federations be the only form of 'permanent' alliance. When you unlock the technology for Federations, you will immediately be able to invite another empire into a Federation with you, 4 empires no longer being necessary to start one. Once a Federation has been formed, the technology is not required to invite new members or to ask to join it.

Federation Association Status
Another issue we ran into with the changes to diplomacy in Asimov is that Alliances and Federations had trouble bringing in new members - since non-aggression pacts, defensive pacts and guarantees were no longer possible with outside powers, building trust is difficult and you have to mostly rely on large bribes to get new members to join, something that just didn't feel right. To address this, we're adding a new diplomatic option to Heinlein called 'Federation Association Status'. This works similarly to an invite to the Federation in that it can be offered and asked for with any member of the Federation, but must be approved via unanimous vote. A country that has Federation Association Status is not actually a part of the Federation, but has a non-aggression pact with all Federation members and will gain trust with them up to a maximum value of 100. Revoking association status can be done via majority vote, or on the part of the associate at any time they like.
h4Xxg1d.png

Planet Habitability Changes
The planet habitability wheel is a mechanic we were never quite happy with - it makes some degree of sense, but it's hard to keep track of how each planet relates to your homeworld type, and it ends up nonsensical in quite a few cases (Desert being perfectly fine for Tropical inhabitants, or Arid for Tundra, etc). We found that most players tend to intuitively divide planets into desert/arid tundra/arctic and ocean/tropical/continental, and so we decided to change the mechanic to fit player intuition. Instead of a wheel, planets are now divided into three climate groups (Dry, Wet and Cold) and two new planet types (Alpine and Savanna) were added so that each group has 3 planet types. Habitability for the climates now works as follows (numbers may be subject to change):
  • Habitability for your main planet type is 80% (as before)
  • Habitability for planets of your climate is 60%
  • Habitability for planets of other climates is 20%
As such, you no longer have to keep track of anything other than which climate your planet type has to know whether a particular type of world is suitable for your species.
tAcBgqB.png

We also felt that the number of habitable planets in the galaxy was too large overall, but that we couldn't really decrease it so long as the player only had access to 1/7 of those types at start, which would now become 1/9. We also felt the colonization tech gating could be rather arbitrary, particularly if you had a species suited to a particular planet type but still couldn't colonize it due to lacking the tech. As such, we've done away with the tech gating on colonization, and instead instituted a 30% minimum habitability requirement to colonize a planet. You will also be unable to relocate pops to a planet if their habitability there would be under the 30% minimum. With this change we've also majorly slashed the number of habitable worlds in the galaxy, though if you prefer a galaxy lush with life you will be able to make it so through a new option outlined below. We are, of course, looking into and tweaking the effects that having less habitable worlds overall will have on empire borders.

More Galaxy Setup Options
There is an old gamer's adage that says 'more player choice is always better'. We do not actually agree with this, as adding unnecessary/uninteresting choices can just as well bog a game down as it can improve it, but in the case of galaxy setup in a game such as Stellaris, it is pretty much true. With that in mind, the following new galaxy setup options are planned to be included in Heinlein:
  • Maximum number of Fallen Empires (actually setting a fixed number is difficult due to the way they spawn and how it's affected by regular empires)
  • Chance of habitable worlds spawning
  • Whether to allow advanced empires to start near players
  • Whether to use empire clustering
  • Whether endgame crises should be allowed to appear

Sector Improvements
Since barely a day goes by without a new thread on the topic of sectors and enslavement, we would of course be remiss not to deal with this particular bugbear. We intend to spend a considerable amount of time on the sector AI for Heinlein, but I'm not going to go into specifics on bug fixing/AI improvements but rather on a series of new toggles that we intend to introduce to give the player more control over their sector. In addition to the current redevelopment/respect tile resource toggles, the following new toggles are planned for Heinlein:
  • Whether sector is allowed to enslave/emancipate
  • Whether sector is allowed to build spaceports and construction ships
  • Whether sector is allowed to build military stations (this will replace the military sector focus)
We're also discussing having a sector toggle for building and maintaining local defense fleets, but we don't think we'll have time for it in Heinlein.

That's all for today! Next week we'll be talking about Fallen Empires, how they can awaken, and the War in Heaven.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
When Federations were given the ability to vote on invites and wars, alliances became a bit of an odd duck in the Stellaris diplomacy. A middle layer between the 'loose' diplomacy of defensive pacts and joint DOWs, they ended up as little more than a weak form of Federation that's usually swapped out the moment the latter becomes available.
You're gravely mistaken in that - most players never formed federations because it slowed down the game considerably once you had to wait longer and longer periods of time until you would be president again... I've only ever read the community advise newcomers against forming a federation. They... didn't have many advantages as well, since the AI couldn't deal with the federation fleet mechanics.

Of course, with the new changes, at least the first problem goes away, so I'm not too sad about alliances going away. Well, a little maybe. ;)

The changes to habitability sound great, continental/tropical/ocean sounds a lot better for my main species than continental/tropical/desert.

Still, that poster above me is right - how will terraforming work now? Is it possible to change from wet to cold climate, for example?

Thank you a lot!

Reactions:
We still have the "not-aggression pact" possible with an empire, without entering in a full federation ?
Do you plan to change (in 1.3 of course ) the rules for the Federation presidentship ?

Yes, no.

I'm confused.

Can't the president just force though a war where he can take everything without giving anything to anyone else?

No, you vote.

Reactions:
Do the former colonization techs still exist in some form (like maybe providing +X% habitability) or are they completely gone?

For now they're gone, we're experimenting with habitability techs.

Reactions:
It's amazing news!
Federation changes were interesting enough, but on top of that improved habitability, galaxy setup and sectors!
This is gonna be awesome.
I cannot wait for senpai-themed dev diary next week.

Reactions:
@Wiz
I am starting to fear for the "Federation Policies" feature. Are they still coming in Heinlein, along with the new mid-game events?

Federation policies are not in Heinlein.

For content, see coming DDs.

Reactions:
October, the release time for the patch, exciting times for us. Your first expansion/DLC, I wonder what will it be.

One option i would love to see is something along the lines of game length like in civ with fast, normal, marathon epic games. Balancing would be an issue i guess but "just" an option to have a slower game with slower tech rate and slower pop growth and maybe longer build times would be nice.

i do it with mods but of course i have to edit every mod by hand again after an update so that different techs in different mods fit. just a time "malus" like +25% tech cost for marathon game, +25% growth time for marathon game, +50% for epic, +100% just cause.. could be nice.. maybe i should try to mod that.... ^^

Reactions:
The habitability changes sound very nice, but could go further. Someone else suggested a 2-axis grid of temperature and moisture, which might be nice? Maybe each species would get the habitability boost to the 3 other planet types "touching" their home-type. Although that would put more competition on continental worlds as discount Gaia worlds, that might not be bad as they would have 4 options.

The improvements to federations sound very nice, but removing alliances sounds like a step too far. The loss of some sovereignty in exchange for better cooperation and other benefits in a federation- currently the rotating presidency, hopefully later including various policies, should distinguish alliances and federations. Letting alliance members pursue diplomacy, including war, separately from the other alliance members would be a large difference from a federation that is forced to pursue foreign policy together.

Reactions:
Reactions:
The habitability changes sound very nice, but could go further. Someone else suggested a 2-axis grid of temperature and moisture, which might be nice? Maybe each species would get the habitability boost to the 3 other planet types "touching" their home-type. Although that would put more competition on continental worlds as discount Gaia worlds, that might not be bad as they would have 4 options.

The improvements to federations sound very nice, but removing alliances sounds like a step too far. The loss of some sovereignty in exchange for better cooperation and other benefits in a federation- currently the rotating presidency, hopefully later including various policies, should distinguish alliances and federations.

We want to make it easier to keep the habitability mechanics in your head, not harder.

Reactions:
The habitability changes sound like a step in the right direction. Someone else suggested a 2-axis grid of temperature and moisture, which might be nice? Maybe each species would get the habitability boost to the 3 other planet types "touching" their home-type. Although that would put more competition on continental worlds as discount Gaia worlds, that might not be bad as they would have 4 options.

The improvements to federations sound very nice, but removing alliances sounds like a step too far. The loss of some sovereignty in exchange for better cooperation and other benefits in a federation- currently the rotating presidency, hopefully later including various policies, should distinguish alliances and federations.

The issue with my climate matrix is the habitability : either you have something that doesn't make sense with 60% on all planets that share one characteristic with your home planet (alpine would be as habitable as a savannah for a desert species). Or have it based on proximity in the matrix but then planet affinity would be assymetrical (a desert species would have only 2 types as 60% habitability while continental would have 4 types at 60%). So i can understand that simply having 3 categories i simpler.

Reactions:
The issue with my climate matrix is the habitability either you have something that doesn't make sense with 60% on all planets that share one characteristic with your (alpine would be as habitable as a savannah for a desert species). Or have it based on proximity in the matrix but then planet affinity would be assymetrical (a desert species would have only 2 types as 60% habitability while continental would have 4 types at 60%). So i can understand that simply having 3 categories i simpler.
You're right, I need to think about this more. That's what I get for looking while half asleep. :oops: