• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #228 - New Content & Features in 3.2

Hello everyone!

For today’s dev diary we’ll be talking a little bit about a new wave of changes coming in the upcoming 3.2 update.

3.2 will feature some new content and features, some of which didn’t make it into 3.1, and some of which are new. The reason why I mention that is because I also wanted to shed some light on the process itself. With this new way of working, it’s fine if something isn’t done for a certain update, because it can simply spill into the next update. With our ambition of only having 3 months between the updates, it will not be long before the new piece of content will be out in the public. Speaking of which, the new Pompous Purists Civic is just such an example.

Pompous Purists Civic
This civic was designed to be added to the Humanoids Species Pack with our Buffing the Backlog initiative, but it didn’t quite make it in time to be released in 3.1. In 3.2 you will be able to try out this new addition to the Humanoids Species Pack.

The Pompous Purists Civic is a civic that allows for a diplomatic playstyle, but for xenophobes. The idea is based on an elven fantasy, where they are willing to negotiate with other species, but only as long as it's on their own terms.

1634205974017.png

Friends? Maybe if you keep a respectable distance.

Ship Browser Experiment
Back in dev diary 213 we briefly talked about the improvements to a part of the empire creation process – namely the part of the UI where you select your ship appearance. The experiment meant that only about half of you got to experience those improvements, while the rest kept the ship appearance selection as it has looked like since 2016. The reason why we ran this improvement as an experiment is because we wanted to measure how successful doing these kinds of improvements can be.

1634206012468.png

The Ship Appearance part of the empire creation screen allows you to browse different ship sizes and appearances.

The improved ship browser will be available to everyone with the release of 3.2.

Now I’ll hand over to Victor who will be talking a little bit about some new content for anomalies.

Anomaly Variety
Hello everyone! I am Victor, a Custodian Content Designer that you might have seen around on the weekly streams these past few months.

Back in 2018, we removed anomaly failure from the game. This meant that every single time you encountered the Gigantic Skeleton anomaly category, you would always get the Gigantic Skeleton anomaly, for it was the only one in the category. No longer! As one of my tasks for this patch, I decided to simply go through every single anomaly category and add new anomalies to orphaned categories that I could for the development cycle.

1634206063505.png

This is not only limited to new anomalies, but I also revisited some old classics adding options to events that previous designers created before a lot of the resources we now use were added to the game.

1634206085708.png

While this is not anything that will revolutionize the game, it is a great and interesting direction for a Custodian content designer to explore, which we are still establishing on the team. I do hope you enjoy your (slightly) more exciting and varied early game!

Terraforming Events and AI behavioral changes
Yes, hello, I am still here. My other task for this patch was to create a few varied random events for terraforming. These events vary in power and complexity and mainly break the monotony of pressing a button and getting a better planet. These bonuses vary from getting more districts of a chosen type to perhaps uncovering a dig site left by a species to enamored with war.

1634206115997.png

Before you start thinking, you will sit there and terraform a planet back and forth between two different types and fishing for events. Do know that you can only get events the first time you terraform a world, and it’s never guaranteed. Terraforming is quite the unexplored space for Stellaris events, and these were a lot of fun to create.

Finally, @Caligula Caesar has managed to restore the AI’s terraforming hunger! Previously the AI needed to gather an absurd amount of energy credits even to consider terraforming, but that has now been rectified. The AI has been spotted changing and creating optimal planets in our internal testing. They also are more likely to pick terraforming techs and appropriate ascension perks in certain circumstances.

----

That is all for this week folks! Next week we’ll be back with some exciting news!

• 234Like
  • 57Love
Reactions:
To be honest, the Pompous Purists civic seems a little underwhelming.
There's not much going on there that really justifies to me spending a whole civic point on that.

As for the new ship viewer, it's good, but being able to pick a different ship set for each class of ship would be even better!
+2 envoys and +30% trust growth is nothing to sneeze at, and it's stackable with diplomatic corps. Very fun looking if you want to play smug puppetmasters with the peasants. From an NPC variety front it's also very cool, a close neighbour spawning with this civic will feel very different to a regular empire. I'd like a lot more interaction changing civics like this.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Have you given any thought to how terraforming candidates are generated? The way I understand it, later in the game after space has been explored the only anomaly type you get is terraforming candidates, so you get those all the time. Which leads to a huge number of them. Probably more than there should be. There are at least two mods that distribute such planets across the galaxy at the start of the game.

This. have the candidate status be assigned at galaxy creation instead.

There is a mod called "Better Terraforming Candidates" in the steam workshop that makes it a normal planet modifier that gets apllied normally.

It is so much better. Terraforming candidates are much mroe evenly spread, instead of the current where you rarely will have them near your start (because it gets crowded out by so many other anomalies) and usually find it all over the place during later exploration.

Well... half of the civics are underwhelming from a min-max pov. It's called RP, give it a try sometime instead of min-maxing everytime.

IMO gameplay elements like civics need to fulfill at least one fo three roles:
- Powerful (enough to change gameplay decisions)
- Interesting (Adding/changing decisions)
- Functional (these are the "numbers increase" ones. They still need to be signficant enough to smoothen and ease gameplay)
A lot of the current ones aren't really working in any of these categories, as they are neither impactful enough to be worth taking for more than RP nor add any interesting aspects. And way too many try to be functional but are having enough of an impact.

It's rather ridiculous that even Biologically Ascended empires can't meddle with those event-spawned traits, and currently the specific events involved in that chain interact very weirdly with each other ("Neo-humans" have attacked "Neo-humans" because they can't tolerate "Neo-humans", stuff like that).

I think that event is mostly unchanged from its 1.0 incarnation. Right now it is either to be ignored or abused to get extra traits at the end of genemodding or tomb world habitability.

1634205974017.png

The underlying idea is reasonable, but this implementation seems very strange. Why would I have *more* trust in the standoffish jerk who won't answer my calls, and only talks to me when he wants something?

Also, as others have mentioned, this seems like a cheap way to avoid wars and CBs. War IS diplomacy, after all.

• 4Like
Reactions:
1634205974017.png

The underlying idea is reasonable, but this implementation seems very strange. Why would I have *more* trust in the standoffish jerk who won't answer my calls, and only talks to me when he wants something?

Also, as others have mentioned, this seems like a cheap way to avoid wars and CBs. War IS diplomacy, after all.
While I'd like the power play of a superior xenophobic pacifist just ignoring the declaration of war of an upstart neighbor, I don't think that's actually how it will work. While the war declaration button is on the diplomacy screen, I'm pretty sure that it will be possible to initiate a war against a pompous purist. You're (unilaterally) declaring a war after all, not negotiating with the other empire to find common ground for a bilaterally agreed upon treaty of war.

• 17Haha
  • 6Like
Reactions:
Where the heck people got the idea that it prevents war from?

Someone made a joke and instantly people start complaining about the unbalanced feature.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Nice! It is good to see that no part of the game is safe from being improved and being made better! Now all I am missing is the option for a xeno-compatibility hybrid species with the prethoryn scourge...

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Yeah, not sure where people are getting the no wars thing can be declared on pompous purist. I was under the impression that the real question was in regards to visualization demands. If that is something that falls into the restriction or other empires can still make those demands. Heck, could be the halfway approach where other empires can still make the demands but it gets auto declined.

Thinking from this for early game, the civic can actually be reasonable strong in a setup where you find a neighbor that you want to put on more amiable terms, while still having plenty of envoys to spearhead the first contact stuff. Heck, the fact that you have more envoys for first contact is pretty big since that can be a huge chunk of influence that you might have missed out on.

As for terraforming candidates. I'd prefer them to be anomalies still, but change galaxy generation so that those anomalies are assigned at the start to worlds and are guaranteed anomalies that will be found given the game already assigned them at the start. This would result in a more even spread of terraforming candidates and give people some guaranteed anomalies. Then maybe come up with a few filler anomalies that aren't limited to be unique, so that the game can give anomalies out once all the unique ones have been exhausted. These could primarily give research with some having the rarer change of giving base resource deposits.

I do agree that current setup for terraforming candidates is kind of awful and a bit immersion breaking because you end up with a setup where there are zero terraforming candidates in your home cluster. Ends up being rather unbalanced if someone goes for map the starts, a science ship rush (I've done it) and has some other bonuses to finding anomalies because that's a scenario where someone has a whole mess of terraforming candidates if they happen to get all those in their territory.

On another note, I would like to suggest the devs looking into the idea of having some events that can only fire when the game enters certain points. One I would suggest would be called Scientific Epiphany, basically the gist to this would be it fires in the midgame year and the player is given the choice to undergo a physics research project that will revolutionize science ship sensors allowing for a survey of scanned systems to find anomalies that might have been missed because they are new, were really hard to find to begin or were missed because the technology you empire possessed wasn't adequate to find them. The player could also choose not to do it, but not sure what sort of rewards would need to be given to make that a reasonable choice. Maybe even have it setup where it's not the player can choose to not doing it but have it in two parts first one reveals a batch of anomalies and then the player is given the choice to either fine tune the tech further to find a few more anomalies or to decide it's good enough and get some influence and maybe something else instead.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Speaking of new anomalies, any plans to add events to the newer megastructures?

The older megastructures, such as the Dyson Sphere, the Ringworld, and the Science Nexus have special events that pop up on occasion, but none of the newer megastructures have any. I liked the flavor such events brought to these monumental projects (like a art exhibition at a Mega Art Installation or maybe the Matter Decompressor decompressing something from the black hole that shouldn't have been decompressed).
1634222799558.png
1634222876171.png
1634223039160.png

• 9Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
This is not only limited to new anomalies, but I also revisited some old classics adding options to events that previous designers created before a lot of the resources we now use were added to the game.
Do you plan to fix that anomalies with two teachings edicts just do not trigger for literally years? Like I created galaxy with 3000 stars, no other civs and maximum habitable planets and after exploring ALL of it in 2 playthroughs I triggered only one of them? As in one playthrough had none, other had one.

And IIRC there were some categories coded in a way that only one anomaly from it could trigger...

Last time I did see all four teachings was like 1.0.

Reactions:
How does it even work ?
They come up as anomalies when all the other anomalies are exhausted, which means that they come up in great numbers in the last systems to be surveyed...

Reactions:
I like the possibility of getting events while terraforming, but it makes me worry that in the late-game, where you will sometimes spam out terraform orders, that you will get absolutely overwhelmed with events which are not super relevant anymore at that stage of the game.

Will we have a Megacorp version of this civic ? It would be so funny to me.
"Hello ?" "Yes. Here's a trade agreement. We would be most displeased if you refused to buy our stuff. Farewell."

• 6Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions: