• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #178 - Federal improvements (UI and more!)

Hello everyone!

Today’s dev diary will show you some of the improvements we’ve made to federations for the upcoming free update!

Federation Voting
Since the release of Federations and the 2.6 update we’ve wanted to make some improvements to how voting in federations is handled. Most of the improvements are related to UI and better feedback, but there’s also been some changes to functionality.

You are now able to use Favors to increase the acceptance chance for your AI-controlled federation members.

1588237130927.png

You are now able to use Favors to increase the acceptance chance for federation law proposals.

We’ve also changed how AI acceptance works for federation laws, so that it is more transparent and more consistent with other features in the game. We look at the AI attitude a lot more now, and it will affect which laws the AI is attracted towards. For example, militaristic empires, or those with either Honorbound Warriors or Federation Builders personalities will be more likely to accept a higher fleet contribution law.

Generally speaking, the best way for you to pass new federation laws is to get the Federation Cohesion to 90 or above, and then suggest a new law change.

When it comes to suggesting changed, the AI will still not attempt to suggest changes very often, unless they are the federation president.

1588237158059.png

The AI will generally not want to increase Centralization unless Cohesion is 90 or higher. Cohesion also directly affects the acceptance chance by a factor of x0.25 (100 cohesion equals +25 acceptance).

1588237186199.png

The UI for voting on war declarations has received a face-lift. It’s now more clear which war goal is used, and you can see a summary of the target of the war, and which their allies are. This should hopefully make it easier for you to decide if you are in favor of the war or not.

1588237297716.png

Whenever a federation law has been voted on, you will now get a pop-up that clearly informs you on what the results of the vote were, and how your federation allies voted.

1588237321844.png

We’ve also improved the feedback you get whenever your federation unlocks a new level.

Joint Operations
Something we wanted to do, but couldn’t do for 2.6 due to lack of time, was to add some more flavor events to federations. We had some cool ideas for things we wanted to try, and we’re very happy that we’ve been able to add some events for the upcoming 2.7 update.

Joint Operations are events to which each member of a federation can contribute, and the types of events will depend on your federation type.

Research Co-operatives have the chance to engage in a joint archaeological dig across their region of federated space. Galactic Unions and Research Co-operatives alike may also find themselves dealing with strange new stellar phenomena at their federation capitals. Hegemonies will have the option of a grand project to celebrate cultural uniformity – and to see who’s still willing to tow the line. Military Alliances can partake in a joint training exercise, while Trade Leagues may seek to improve their collective worth through harmonized logistics.

In all cases, collaboration will bolster cohesion within your federation – however members may sometimes be tempted by individual gains, and further challenges may arise if the federation does not act as one.

1588237346692.png

The beginning of a joint operation for the Research Cooperative!

Origins
A small change we’ve made, albeit probably a welcomed one, is to make it far less likely for the leader of a Common Ground or Hegemony start to be blocked off by their federation members. It’s very likely that they will have at least one open hyperlane to an unexplored star system.

---

That’s it for this week! Next week we’ll be back with some more information regarding the upcoming free update!

Last edited:
  • 91Like
  • 1Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Will favors effecting federation votes also work when trying to change the federation type?
Is a type change possible anyway? I thought once a research pact, always a research pact...

What I'd like to see at some point is some sort of spiritual Federation. Maybe at the time when they implement proper Space religions.

Would be nice to form a Federation based upon the one believe that Mercedes Romero is the Worm, was always the Worm, she loves us.

I'd like to see an option for the Federation to force a Peace Vote...
It is annoying that I do have to fight a war with another Empire to the bitter end because the AI Empire declared the war and will accept nothing short of Total victory or total surrender...
It seems odd that the warring state needs support for the declaration but afterwards the other empires are bound in all eternity to the warring states decision.
Either let me force a peacedeal through no matter what the other think or let me leave and sign a separate peacedeal.

Reactions:
this game and all other games that paradox has made, astounded me. they are the best game makers ever, and to me some of their games are educational they have inspired me to look at other job possibility's and to get a degree in history. on my wall I have a map of the world a huge one. if it was not for paradox I would not be into geography and history. one of my favorite dlc's for any game they made ever is sons of Abraham for ck2.