• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #171 - Federations Stream

Hello everyone!

This week we’re back with another dev diary! I apologize in advance for it being a shorter one, but don’t worry, we aim to make up for it with a stream!.

Later today at 17:00 CET we will be hosting a stream over at Twitch where we will be talking about Federations and showing off all the features in more detail (such as all the federation perks). We will also be announcing the release date for the Federations expansion and showing off a cool new trailer!

If you have things you want us to show on stream, please don’t be afraid to mention them here!

See you on the stream!

---

We announced that Federations will be released on March 17th!

You can watch the continued story trailer here:

You can also watch the VOD of yesterday's stream

Last edited:
What alternate reality are you from where this has been the case?

2.1.1 was the only patch between 2.1 and 2.2 that addressed lag in a noticeable way, nothing of it was heard afterwards... maybe because 2.2 was the focus? I don't know. This is also the first patch of 2.2 to have a substantial impact on the lag as well so I am a little bit worried. (I'm not going to count 2.2.2 since that wasn't an improvement as much as fixing a gamebreaking bug that actually made the game unplayable, not simply a performance issue.)

I would like to be wrong. I praise this patch for what it's doing but am also cautiously optimistic regarding what comes next. Maybe the stream will assuage these notions.

And yeah, crisis fixes are desperately needed, it takes them eons to purge a large planet with 200+ pops even at 35 progress a month. Incredibly slows them or even stalls them out.

Last edited:
2.1.1 was the only patch between 2.1 and 2.2 that addressed lag in a noticeable way, nothing of it was heard afterwards...
Aside from the constant work they did on performance that you can read in every patch note? That kind of 'nothing'?

Would be interesting to know if there has been anything like a "civil war" mechanic that been thought about, would love to have my very own "clone wars" within stellaris.
I'd like to know if they've been thinking about it too, but it would be more meant for an internal politics update, so probably beyond the scope of this stream. We'll see

Hello everyone!

This week we’re back with another dev diary! I apologize in advance for it being a shorter one, but don’t worry, we aim to make up for it with a stream!.

Later today at 17:00 CET we will be hosting a stream over at Twitch where we will be talking about Federations and showing off all the features in more detail (such as all the federation perks). We will also be announcing the release date for the Federations expansion and showing off a cool new trailer!

If you have things you want us to show on stream, please don’t be afraid to mention them here!

See you on the stream!

(This post will be updated with more information during the day)
The reinforcement mechanics, from beginning to end!

You can check the wiki for patch notes if you don't believe me. Nothing else happened between 2.1 and 2.2.
Oh, the wiki well why didn't you say so? I was going by the actual developer-posted patch notes. Silly me.

It's just copy pasted from those sources. There's still nothing to contradict me on the official posts.
Hmm, looking through I stand corrected. You'd given the impression that "They did one performance patch in 2.1.1 and then NOTHING EVER AGAIN"

More on topic, on the stream, does the music sound... distorted to anyone else?

Also, no surprise, Gestalts are excluded from most of the stuff. Woo.

... so why does the Galactic Community resolution that lets you get Consumer Goods from primitives, uh, do that? Especially if you're Passively Observing the primitives.

Also, it seems like every Federation Type has at least 1 +Crisis Damage perk. Unless that 'new crisis behavior' we got a sentence about a few dev diaries ago is substantial, crises are about to become even less of a threat...

A neat trailer going off the previous one, about a federation created to prevent a war, with one belligerent party being bullied into it and eventually seeking to break free.

Too bad it'll never actually happen ingame. Due to how Trust works, and the resulting Opinion Polarization, once that empire is in the federation it's time for Best Friends Forever.

Hey not Fair... why do you say MArch 17th when your shop says March 16th
PreOrder.png

Gestalts are excluded from most of the stuff.

I'm starting to think that Hive Minds have been all but abandoned. The stream mentioned that Hive Minds do get a new civic that is basically Philosopher King (so utter garbage even with the slight buff to the civic), but nothing else about the comically broken state of Hive Minds.

Also, what's up with robots? Is 2.6 still going to be Robots but with Federations?

So.. will our questions about Federations be answered here instead? Because aside from the individual perks, and GC resolutions (which sound like they were being teased anyway) I don't believe there was much new stuff being talked about.