• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HOI4 Dev Diary - Scout Planes and breaking the Enigma - and Stream premieres today at 16:00CET!

Hi everyone! Today we are going to start talking about changes to Intel and present some of the tools you will have at your disposal for gaining it in La Résistance. We will also go back to the Agency and talk about code cracking.

Scout Planes
Scout planes is a great way of gaining intel on your enemies. This is a new plane type that comes in two tech levels
planes.png

These new planes are not capable of fighting or giving air superiority, but they have a new mission “Air Recon” which can also be performed in peace time. This mission will give you intel on nations under its area of operation, or their navy if covering trafficked naval regions. It also does spotting of ships and divisions so its a great way to figure out what the enemy is up to.

upload_2019-12-4_9-55-11.png

Other planes types can not do the air recon mission, although in war time other planes will be gaining you intel as well during regular operations.

Code Cracking
One of the things in WW2 that has always fascinated me was the allied efforts to break the axis codes, particularly the work done at Bletchley Park. When reading about this work you usually are told about the tough choices that had to be made, because after the enigma codes had been cracked and german messages could be read the allies were forced to only use this knowledge in limited ways. If they had not it would have tipped off the Germans that they knew and made the whole thing moot. Basically, to save the punch for when it was most needed. This is something I wanted to make sure that we captured when we started designing the new code cracking system.

To interact with code cracking etc you need to form a new department in your Agency. Under it are upgrades both for creating and breaking enemy ciphers.
upload_2019-12-4_10-8-23.png

The higher your decryption power the faster you can break enemy codes and the higher your crypto strength the tougher you in turn are to break.
upload_2019-12-4_10-16-13.png

In the above screenshot I have cracked Germany's current cipher. If they end up upgradign to a higher level I would lose some progress and have to continue the work. The 25 shown is your total decryption power and will be shared among all active projects. Right now Denmark is the only active one so gets the full attention and fastest possible code breaking.

Having a cracked code gives you some passive bonuses that are not possible for the enemy to see and confirm, such as air interception. To take full advantage you will need to commit and fully activate. Doing that gives you 30 days of full intel on the enemy as well as an assortment of other bonuses.
upload_2019-12-4_10-22-19.png

A perfect time to use it when launching naval invasions or starting fighting somewhere because when activated the enemy will know and ciphers will reset within 30 days. After this time you will need to crack their code again,, which probably will have had its strength upgraded.

Outside of just having a bunch of mathematicians working day and night on breaking the enemy codes you can also help them out though clandestine operations
upload_2019-12-4_10-41-11.png

This diary showed you more ways of gaining intel, next week we will be getting into the details about the intel changes. See you then!

Today we start streaming La Résistance!
Tune in to twitch at 16:00CET to watch us talking about Updated Garrison and Resistance Mechanics! The stream will be available on Youtube later.

steam_800x450.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Germany did extensive recon of Western USSR before Barbarossa and was largely unapposed since Stalin did not want an escalation and a war with Germany. Pre-war a lot was done as aerial mapping, although Sidney Cotton did some strategic recon just before the outbreak.

I think the thing to consider is
1. it is not always easy to determine a recon plane from another plane
2. The major powers during pre-war ww2 did really not want a ww2 after ww1, and tried to avoid escalation for a long while, so even if a plane was suspected or doing recon work, it was probably hard to gather enough evidence to accuse said power of doing recon. Even if evidence was gathered it isnt clear that the western powers were willing to stamp their foot down, even after Czechoslovakia and Poland they were still kinda hesitant to commit fully for a while (see phoney war)
@podcat
But then why give us options to play non-historical? We could just watch a documentary on WW2 if we want to see it play out exactly as it did. Instead, the game gives us options in total defiance of history - YOU CAN choose to defend Czech, you can choose to defend Poland... Either stop giving us options to do non-historical things or keep it strictly historical, it's very odd, confusing, and annoying when you try to do both at once.

If your justification if that the powers in history did not want to do something, why do you give us options to do something different in the instances I mentioned? We are no required to sit back and do nothing. We can do something, but with consequences of course.

All we need is an option. If we don't shoot it down, we maintain peace. If we shoot it down, everyone suffers the consequences.

yeah, and he should complain with Stalin about neglect german pre war air scout, not with the devs lolzzz.

"offtopic": Stalin neglecting the intels about imminent German invasion is still one of war's most debated mysteries.
You are not Stalin. You do not have to make the same choices he did. If you want to invade china, start a faction with Japan, or have a naval battle with the USA that's all stuff you can choose to do. The game should not require you make the same mistakes as the real leaders because what's the point in playing Germany if you know you're going to lose because you have to follow history play by play, no deviation from what actually happened?

I'm all for this update/expansion pack and it's subject, I just don't know how psyched I am about the whole civ for spy mechanic. I just feel like getting used to not having as much industry to work with because of the sacrifices made towards keeping up a spy network won't be as engaging. It would be cooler to see stuff like the general trait system where developing your spies and spy networks is based mainly off using them in specific ways, not having to sacrifice industry which could be used towards a myriad of other things. Say you have your clandestine agents and organizations, Garbo of MI5 and Alan Turing of Bletchley for example, and instead of having to build those shiny new airbases half as fast so they can get to work, you have to make decisions on what you want them to do based on what you want them to be better at as time goes on, and basing what you want them to be better at based off the traits they start off with (and maybe what they did, historically). Not doing anything at all would be the most costly course of action in that type of system.

Lots of good information in the new diary but I am worried that the cost of Factories in the spy game will cause the loss of growth to other areas of the game without an increase to available slots to regions. How will this be handled and I love the new Recon planes.

The cost in factories is only for 30 days or so. It might mean you don't instantly buy all the upgrades at game start but for most majors it should be doable half way through the game.

Also only the spymaster needs to put tons of factories on it, most nations will just do a few defence techs and put their spies on counterespionage

Couldn’t recon planes just as easily been done as an action like last stand or staff planing? It seems like a weird and tiny thing to control in a grand strategy game.

Yeah I just have the bad feeling this is just to help sell the DLC.I just spent all weekend relearning EU4 and a good 25% added since I last played years back is just fiddle and should be cut out.

@podcat
But then why give us options to play non-historical? We could just watch a documentary on WW2 if we want to see it play out exactly as it did. Instead, the game gives us options in total defiance of history - YOU CAN choose to defend Czech, you can choose to defend Poland... Either stop giving us options to do non-historical things or keep it strictly historical, it's very odd, confusing, and annoying when you try to do both at once.

If your justification if that the powers in history did not want to do something, why do you give us options to do something different in the instances I mentioned? We are no required to sit back and do nothing. We can do something, but with consequences of course.

All we need is an option. If we don't shoot it down, we maintain peace. If we shoot it down, everyone suffers the consequences.

Because the option wouldn't be that simple. Instead you don't shoot down the first flight you file a complaint, then warning then possible shoot it down. And of course the other side can say it was a mistake, etc. Now the AI would have to be programmed for all of these steps. And what would the "historic" path then be? What if Germany did flights over Italy? Should they go to war and shoot the planes down?

This is not as simple as you make it out to be.

And would the receiving side even really know? Radar isn't around most likely, the planes could be disguised as commercial, they can fly a bit higher and maybe not even noticed by the country. A few flights may not even raise any alarms or might not even be noticed.

Because the option wouldn't be that simple. Instead you don't shoot down the first flight you file a complaint, then warning then possible shoot it down. And of course the other side can say it was a mistake, etc. Now the AI would have to be programmed for all of these steps. And what would the "historic" path then be? What if Germany did flights over Italy? Should they go to war and shoot the planes down?

This is not as simple as you make it out to be.
Indeed it's not that simple, so it should not be added in it's current scope. This is the same reason why the devs (rightfully) removed the Pearl Harbor event. If something depends on a bunch of minute circumstances and can be abstracted away in existing game mechanics without affecting the strategy at large, it probably should.

it's very odd, confusing, and annoying when you try to do both at once
Read @podcat's signature and you have your answer :(

@podcat

What exactly do you need an option for?
It sounds more like you are making useless black & white comments like the one above for no apparent reason. Your rebuttal makes little sense. Things aren't always one way or the other, there are plenty of steps in between. And that is even more true if you move from history to history + game balance.

As has been said before, recon in peace times doesn't consist to 100% of obvious military planes flying over countries on a scout mission. You can't just randomly shoot down stuff during peace time. Especially when there wasn't really much around that could shoot down a plane in the first place. It's not like fighters were patroling areas at that time, neither were anti-air batteries spread all over the place. Not to mention that you couldn't possibly know what exactly was flying there. It could be basically everything. It's not like today, where you have radar and for most planes know which plane is travelling where. There could be a place for something like a protest if tons of recon planes are flying over your territory, or a risk which depens on the scale of the recon operations, that might cause an event if one of the planes crashed, giving information to the country it crashed in (and allowing for a protest as well), but that's about it. You also realize that something is going on, that you might be a target soon, and thus can prepare for what might come.

I was just thinking this. Did we really need an entire plane type to manage and build for recon? Feels like its bordering on a bother.

I disagree, recon was extremely vital. Giving it more value and adding more layers, both through intelligence and actual recon units, make it much better. And yes, recon planes were extremely important for the overall picture. One obvious example would be Bagration, which the Germans were completely unprepared for after basically having cut recon air-missions due to a lack of fuel and losing control of the skies. Reducing such a vital part to nothing but a side-note that you can spend some command power on if you feel like it, while not having to do it, isn't in any way a suitable replacement.

If you can handle two different kind of fighters, and four different kind of bombers (not to mention carrier versions), then having a recon plane isn't a hassle at all. If Gary Grigsby's War in the East has you dealing with recon planes, I don't see why there couldn't be a place for it in Hearts of Iron as well.

I disagree, recon was extremely vital. Giving it more value and adding more layers, both through intelligence and actual recon units, make it much better. And yes, recon planes were extremely important for the overall picture. One obvious example would be Bagration, which the Germans were completely unprepared for after basically having cut recon air-missions due to a lack of fuel and losing control of the skies. Reducing such a vital part to nothing but a side-note that you can spend some command power on if you feel like it, while not having to do it, isn't in any way a suitable replacement.

If you can handle two different kind of fighters, and four different kind of bombers (not to mention carrier versions), then having a recon plane isn't a hassle at all. If Gary Grigsby's War in the East has you dealing with recon planes, I don't see why there couldn't be a place for it in Hearts of Iron as well.

The upkeep of your army and the logistics needed to supported is reduced to a side-note that you don’t have to care about in the game, so I think a few recon planes could be as well.

Why would you want that recon plane? It takes 3 years to research, which you could research much more important upgrades. Dont want to jump to conclusions but I have a feeling this intelligence expansion wont result in much. Most people will just ignore that aspect and go on fine beating the AI with infantry armies.

You are not Stalin. You do not have to make the same choices he did. If you want to invade china, start a faction with Japan, or have a naval battle with the USA that's all stuff you can choose to do. The game should not require you make the same mistakes as the real leaders because what's the point in playing Germany if you know you're going to lose because you have to follow history play by play, no deviation from what actually happened?

Air space violation was common thing til to modern days, and we arent seeing any country going to war because of this. The choice of developers is much closer to the real world than it seems.

Soviet Union vs USA in cold war had lots of air space incident, Turkey vs Greece every year had some sort of incident. Russia from time to time poke up NATO guys and vice-versa.

The most common thing is the violator claim that it was an accident, or that the pilot acted on his own.

Just wondering how many recon planes will be necessary to gain substantial intel? On the surface it seems these sorts of missions were generally clandestine in nature, (at least to some degree), so sending a large wing overhead might be counter productive.

@podcat
Will it be possible to break codes of a target country by spy-infiltrating a third country who has broken the codes of said target country?

I heard a story that the the Soviets broke the German codes trough their spies in Sweden. Sweden broke the code of the T52 Geheimfernschreiber, and Soviet spies in Sweden (I suppose in the Swedish intelligence agency) first passed whatever information the Swedes gathered trough to the Soviets, and in a later phase the Soviets could decipher the T52 Geheimfernschreiber themselves with the aid of the information provided by their Swedish spy.

I can't seem to find this information anymore, so it is either a very unknown story, or the story I once read might be bogus. But it would be cool to gather information by infiltrating another country's intelligence agency.

I was going to come in with some rebuke about how peacetime recon flights were a thing (The number of flights going over the USSR prior to Barbarossa was actually quite staggering) and how dealing with them in HOI is a difficult gameplay problem to solve but I feel like a lot of people are missing the key point of this dev diary.

Look at how damn cute the FW-189 is.