• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HOI4 Dev Diary - Operatives and Missions

Hi everyone, today it's time to continue talking about espionage. We will be covering the stars and main resource - the Operatives.

Operatives are a new character type just like Admirals and Generals. But instead of leading armies of fleets they are used for 3 things. Defence of the homeland against foreign operatives, Missions and Operations (topic of its own diary).

Recruitment
Operatives are recruited from you Agency. The max amount you can have is dependent on the number of agency upgrades you have as well as if you are spy master or not. A spy master get access to a lot more operatives, depending on the size of their faction. A non spy master can still do things, but is a lot more limited due to this.

When recruiting you get to pick from 3 recruits (upgrades can increase this)
upload_2019-11-5_19-18-33.png

Operatives start as recruits but can become full agents by gaining experience which will improve their abilities. There are various traits that can be gained when active as well as being possible from the start. Some are acquired from upgrades such as commando training in the agency. Sadly I didn't have art ready for traits, but here are a few examples we have:
Tough - will give up less intel if captured
Natural Orator - increased ability when it comes to diplomatic missions and creating collaboration regimes
Seducer - bonuses to missions and operations that require a soft touch (or whatever the enemy may be into)
Commando - bonuses to operations that require combat or stealthy infiltration
Double Agent -
a turned enemy agent will have bonuses to operate in their country of origin
Master Interrogator - Increases the capture chance of enemy operatives when working on counter intelligence.
As well as a bunch of other....

Operatives also have (at least one) nationality and will have a bonus to operating in their homeland. The Agency has some upgrades like Localized Training Centers that increases the chance of picking up agents that can pass as locals in foreign (including you enemies) nationalities. This is a mechanic that will be benefiting the Allies as operatives from German occupied areas can be recruited and sent back on missions where they will blend in easily.

Missions
Operatives can perform various missions on the map. The strength and impact of a mission generally depends on the size and strength of a network (more on those below).

upload_2019-11-5_19-30-4.png
Counter intelligence - The default mission of an agent not doing anything else is to run Counter Intelligence in their home nation. This boosts the Counter Intelligence value for your nation and helps counter enemy spies.

upload_2019-11-5_19-29-38.png
Build Network - The Operative will build a network of contacts in an area. Several operatives can help out either to expand the reach of the network or to build it faster. Networks have various passive effects:
  • Reduction of naval invasion penalty
  • Countering enemy dig in or planning bonus
  • Faster division planning when entering a network (based on the first enemy state on the path)
  • Improve intel advantage in combat locally (25%) (based on the intel ledger’s intel rework)
  • Gives static intel on the nation based on nation level strength. You will only get naval intel if the network encompasses ports, rest are even.
Networks target cities (VPs of particular size) and spread over an area. They can link up multiple operative's networks into larger ones. Here is an example of the British agents cooperating vs a single operative
upload_2019-11-5_19-47-34.png

upload_2019-11-5_19-44-20.png

Here you can also notice "Sparrow" as the selected operative. Operatives have codenames of course (I had a lot of fun picking out swedish codenames)...

upload_2019-11-5_19-30-44.png
Quiet Network - If you do not plan to make use a network right away you can place it in quiet mode. It will no longer give effects, but risk that any of your operatives are caught is now very tiny while still maintaining it. Perfect if you have prepared a large network for a future invasion, for example.

upload_2019-11-5_19-30-55.png
Boost Ideology - This replaces the old diplo action as now your operatives will be able to affect the ideology of a target nation

upload_2019-11-5_19-31-18.png
Propaganda - This mission is used to hurt a target nation stability and war support

upload_2019-11-5_19-31-29.png
Root Out Resistance - Helps fight resistance

upload_2019-11-5_19-31-37.png
Control Trade - Influence trade opinion by boosting yours and reducing enemies to give you a bigger piece of the the resources up for trade. If multiple nations are involved they cancel each other out, but it still limit 3rd parties.

upload_2019-11-5_19-31-49.png
Diplomatic Pressure - Makes AI to want to accept only your faction, requires human players to have a higher tension/opinion level for joining other factions. If multiple nation’s Operatives are involved they cancel each other out, but it still limit 3rd parties. This can be pretty neat if you are competing with AI nations over where you want someone to join, as well as in multiplayer.

Defense
Operatives on counter-intelligence as mentioned above will help defend your nation together with the agencies base counter-intel value.
upload_2019-11-5_19-56-15.png

This value affects how easily enemy agents can be discovered and stopped as well as how difficult it is to perform operations in your nation (see future diary). In this example there is a base value of 2 and the operatives add 3 together for a total of 5.

When an operative is discovered several things can happen:
Forced Underground or Injured - The operative had to abandon their work and lay low to avoid being captured. Any mission including networks will be on hold during this and networks will start to decay if no other agent is there
Captured - An operative captured by the enemy will be leaking intelligence to them and will eventually be killed (unless rescued). Operatives assigned suicide pills can also minimize the intel leaks here. Operatives who are caught also have a direct impact on their network as people working with them are assumed to have been captured along with them.

upload_2019-11-5_19-54-30.png

Killed - In rare cases operatives may be killed in action leaving one of your slots empty where you will need to recruit a replacement.

The defensive game is mostly a passive affair for the defender as we were cautious of creating required micro, and by having a solid defense and capturing enemy operatives you might actually benefit a bit from the intel gathered on your enemies.

Thats it for this week. See you again next week!

Rejected Titles: CLASSIFIED

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Based on previous information, there must be an "Operation Banana Pizza" somewhere on the pictures.

Last edited:
Commando - bonuses to operations that require combat or stealthy infiltration
It's time to unleash a certain tall Austrian fencer with an iconic scar in his cheek.

Double Agent - a turned enemy agent will have bonuses to operate in their country of origin
Ahhh. One of the most interesting aspects of espionage. Is it possible to turn a Spy Chief into such? *coughs* Canaris *coughs*

Master Interrogator - Increases the capture chance of enemy operatives when working on counter intelligence.
NKVD approves this. <looks around in case being followed> :D

Diplomatic Pressure - Makes AI to want to accept only your faction, requires human players to have a higher tension/opinion level for joining other factions. If multiple nation’s Operatives are involved they cancel each other out, but it still limit 3rd parties. This can be pretty neat if you are competing with AI nations over where you want someone to join, as well as in multiplayer.
I'm gonna enjoy this as Imperial Germany recruiting more countries to the Central Powers. :))

Rejected Titles: CLASSIFIED
This Dev Diary, should you choose to accept it...

EDIT: @podcat how can Governments-In-Exile tie up to intelligence activities here?

Can puppets have operatives (And be involved with espionage)? If so, will we be able to direct what our puppets use their operatives for or just flat out take control of their agencies?

Whilst I am all for expanding and upgrading features and mechanics I'm not sure I like any of this :( To me, it's a distraction. I don't really want to deal with espionage and operatives in a game of this scale. More worrying are some of the effects this will have in game. I want to concentrate on the wargame, not a clandestine operation. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, and maybe it will grow on me. But as it stands I cannot get excited about any of this.

yea but why can't everyone use that options instead of only spy-masters ?
because then you would have to nerf the options making it less fun to use, you cant have all the power for everyone if the options are meant to be meaningfull. but i get your point. but isnt this the thing that most spy systems fail at? meaningfull actions versus it beeing so dominating that its a spy game instead a war game?

Talking about mp here, as pdocat stated, in sp you can just become spy master.

This will sound like an odd "complaint", but these portraits look... too good? The difference between them and generals/admirals/leaders is striking. They look almost cartoony. Don't get me wrong, they are really well made - but the difference in style is striking and noticeable. It almost looks as if they were pulled from a whole different game.

Instead of introducing more charachter mechanics into the game, I would have preferred if the devs focus would have been on improving the warfare part of the game.
For example: AI, front handling, Naval UI improvements etc

Charachter mechanics feel out of place in a game where you control hundreds of divisions.

If spys replaced boost ideology diplo, what does that mean exactly? Will you no longer be able to receive a boost voluntarily without the risk of killing your friend's spy in "defense"?

On a related note, my multiplayer group has always been frustrated there is no "voluntary boost only" game rules because EVERYONE would like the option to switch ideology faster, but we have to disable boosting by the game rules because people would do stupid things like boost enemies then leave the game ... But we all want friendly boosting.

Can we please get a "voluntary boost only" game rule?
@podcat

Last edited:
Whilst I am all for expanding and upgrading features and mechanics I'm not sure I like any of this :( To me, it's a distraction. I don't really want to deal with espionage and operatives in a game of this scale. More worrying are some of the effects this will have in game. I want to concentrate on the wargame, not a clandestine operation. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, and maybe it will grow on me. But as it stands I cannot get excited about any of this.

Instead of introducing more charachter mechanics into the game, I would have preferred if the devs focus would have been on improving the warfare part of the game.
For example: AI, front handling, Naval UI improvements etc

Charachter mechanics feel out of place in a game where you control hundreds of divisions.

So don't become spy master for your faction.

Spies, intel & resistance support where major features of WW2. Feel free to let your faction do the heavy lifting if you don't want to, but the feature is definitely worth including in HOI4

If it was a game about a series of major battles of WWI that would be true, but this game is more all encompassing. Imagine if the Allies hadn't cracked the enigma code for example, or the USA had preempted the attack on Pear Harbor...

This is some crazy stuff. I like the depth of choice. I just hope it doesnt become too focused on the operatives and instead there are mode broad sweeping intelligence things you can do like codebreaking and such. Also, wasn't intelligence going to tie into recon at some point?

So can the new mechanics model the Admiral Canaris (head of the Abwehr) situation? In which he was not exactly a double agent but was strongly opposed to the Nazis and was actively undermining them from day one and was eventually executed at the end of the war by the Gestapo or SS.

Also, I hope that all the major missions/operations that happened during the war are possible to do in the game with the new mechanics. There definitely should be assassination attempts as on Hitler and Reinhard Heydrich for example. It should be possible to target any enemy characters. Admiral Yamamoto was essentially assassinated by the Americans for example in an air battle. There should be rescue missions like with Mussolini for example. There should be nuclear research sabotage missions as in Norway on the Nazi heavy water production facility for example. Actually, heavy water should be a resource in the game. There should be a Churchill kidnapping or assassination mission for the Germans called "The Eagle Has Landed".

I want to be able to see enemy battle plans and force deployments. Like how the Japanese knew where the American Pacific fleet was and its composition so they could plan Pearl Harbor. It should also be possible to create decoy Divisions/Armies and battleplans to trick your enemy as was done for D-Day by the British and Americans. Capturing enemy code machines should be possible. I feel like Intelligence is something that should be a focus of neutral nations. Or neutral nations should be bases for lots of agents/missions/operations. Neutral nations should be able to share intelligence etc. There is definitely a role (diplomatic or financial or intelligence) for neutral nations to play that could be interesting. Maybe Embassies and Diplomats should be a mechanic. It's always much more immersive to have actual people doing things rather than just a big text list of dropdown menus.

I think there should be a difference between military intelligence and economic intelligence and diplomatic intelligence. Your agents should be able to gather different types depending on what they're doing. I don't like the idea of Intel directly affecting combat stats. That's too much abstraction in my opinion.

My advice to the Devs in general is that if something was done during the war then it should be possible to do in the game. Especially if it was a major thing like Pearl Harbor for example. Which sadly is not possible to pull off with the current mechanics and really bothers me. That should always be a major goal of the design. I realize this is a first pass at Intelligence though.

This is some crazy stuff. I like the depth of choice. I just hope it doesnt become too focused on the operatives and instead there are mode broad sweeping intelligence things you can do like codebreaking and such. Also, wasn't intelligence going to tie into recon at some point?

We still don't have enough intel to see the plans of our adversary...

If it was a game about a series of major battles of WWI that would be true, but this game is more all encompassing. Imagine if the Allies hadn't cracked the enigma code for example, or the USA had preempted the attack on Pear Harbor...

Now, this reminds me: @podcat, another question and unsure if it was already answered or not: Is it possible for 2 different in-game factions (For example: Allies led by UK/US and Comintern) to share intel against a common enemy (Axis)?

Well this might finally give me a proper reason to play the Allies more often, and the Comintern after WWII?

index.php

And this is the sort of stuff I wanted when playing minors outside the original scope of WWII!
Looking forward for the Operations diary!

Maybe its just me, but I fell overwhelmingly "meh" about this expansion.

Instead of getting the basics right (e.g. Battle Planner, AI, Logistics, Air Warfare, Naval Combat to name a few) PDX adds another "Mini-Game" (CPs anyone?) to it.