• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi everyone and welcome back to regular weekly dev diaries (if you don't count the april fools one last week). I know you are all super excited to hear what we have been up to since Battle for the Bosporus. The answers to that are going to take a few dev diaries to cover, so I figured I would start with a timeline for you:
  • We recently released 1.10.4 to fix various multiplayer exploits going on, but seems an important case was not detected at the time so we are working on a 1.10.5 to address that soon.
  • Pdxcon is coming up in May so expect to hear some more details there.
  • The yearly anniversary is coming in June so expect some cool stuff and a patch.
  • We are however spending most of our time on the 1.11 Barbarossa update as well as the unannounced expansion that will be released together with it. That's what we will spend most of our diaries on, as well as today!

‘Barbarossa’ and the unannounced DLC will focus on the Eastern Front and the core of Hearts of Iron, which is warfare - particularly land warfare. Historically the Eastern Front was without doubt the most important front for World War II. It was the largest confrontation in history and
is where Hitler’s expansion was first stopped and pushed back signaling the eventual doom of the axis powers. There are several areas we want to improve here. Weather does not feel impactful enough, while historically it had a massive impact. Logistics currently doesn’t have much player interaction and is mostly something you have to deal with only when problems appear, and finally the combat and division meta has been stable (with an emphasis on large divisions) for a long time - something we hope we can shake up. As you can imagine, these are all things that affect the game on a deeper level and take a lot of work to get right.

Today, I’ll give you guys a bit of an overview on the supply aspect, but fair warning: it’s early days and stuff may still change here before we’re done. I’ll probably spend 3+ diaries on supply over the course of the development to cover everything, but I figured it would be nice to hear about the overarching ideas.

The old system worked by having discrete supply areas pathing back to the players capital and keeping track of the bottlenecks. To simplify a bit ;) - those bottlenecks then decided how many units could fit into areas near the front without penalties. The areas themselves were unintuitive to players and required you to check multiple mapmodes to see if you stepped over an edge etc. I do like bottleneck systems though, because feedback is usually immediate, but it suffered from not having much scaling cost as distances increased, so it was hard to use it to limit snowballing. As I mentioned it was also a system you didn't care too much about until you had problems, while historically, logistics was a vital part of planning a campaign. This led to combining the issue with another gripe of ours - that the way fronts moved in WW2 often followed important railroads, but don't really in HOI4. We came to the conclusion that we should try and make a system focused on railways and with a truck based component as a way to get more out of it when away from the rails.

1617799554638.png

In our new system, supply flows from the capital (the total amount available depends on your total industrial base) through railways, where the level of the railway acts as a bottleneck. To transport more, you need a higher level railway (or a bigger port if it goes over water) so the railways are the current bottlenecks in a way. Depending on how much supply is transported you need a certain amount of trains for the rails to perform. Trains are a new equipment type that we will dig into in a future diary (well actually, several types ;P)

An important part of railways is that they are capturable, so as you push into enemy territory you will want to make sure to hold vital railways and capture railway hubs to supply your troops. There is a conversion time here to model the fact that there was usually some repair or re-gauging that needed to happen for attackers.

1617798271066.png

1617799689604.png

Mapmodes are still quite WIP ;)

Rivers also had a huge importance on the eastern front for transport and supply so they will work essentially like basic railroads now, where you need to control both sides of their banks to use them to ship supplies around.

1617798407335.png

Supply is drawn from what we call Supply Hubs now, which are either cities, naval bases, or manually constructed stations along the rails, which have to be linked into the network. Air supply works a bit differently but we will talk about this in the future along with some other supply additions...

The flow of supply from a Hub to a division depends on the terrain/weather etc, and ideally you want to have available trucks here (which is to say, motorized equipment) to increase the amount of supply you get as well as range. Cost of trucks and trains and losses to attrition and bad weather will be a limiting factor on your logistics.

1617798787102.png

Overall, this creates a system where it's strategically sound to fight over railways, prepare for large offensives, to try and bleed each other's logistics capability and to force care when advancing in bad terrain and weather. The result is a much more fun, historical and immersive Eastern Front as well as adding a new layer of invasion planning in the rest of the world.

See you all next week for the next diary!

Last edited:
Just reinstalled HoI4 and had some fun kicking the Japanese out of East Asia as the Soviets. Saved and quit when Germany declared war, to leave it on a cliffhanger. I've left 24 divisions and the Asian air wings to help drive the last of the Japanese divisions out of mainland China, and the other (now veteran) divisions are rushing west to help drive back the Nazis.

It's not a perfect game, but now that we have the promises of a huge new update to look forward to, I can focus on the things that work and keep me entertained :p.

Last edited:
This looks excellent. I have a few questions about how you expect these changes to impact the game more broadly:

Will these changes impact overland resource movement? It would be wonderful for Germany to be able to cut the Soviet Union off from lend-lease supplies by taking the Murmansk railroad, or be able to cut railways between Moscow and the Caucasus to deprive the Soviets of their oil.

Will these changes impact overland trade? It's always annoyed me that any country in Africa/Eurasia can trade with other countries on the landmass without using convoys. At a minimum, it would be cool to see overland trade restricted by the number of trains you have available. Ideally I'd like to see overland trade only occur along existing railroads. (I'm thinking of Germany importing rubber from Siam in particular, along railroads through Central Asia and China that probably didn't exist.)

Will you rebalance the equilibrium in the Sino-Japanese War? I'd like to see a long-term equilibrium in which Japan can't push past the Chinese coastal plain because of the mountainous terrain and lack of infrastructure, and in which Japan and Britain are incentivized to fight over the Burma Road. I doubt Japan would be hurt too much by a stalemate in China due to China's lack of factories and strategic resources. (Japan mainly needs oil and rubber, which China doesn't have.)

Are you looking to introduce more strategic resources? Food and consumer goods seem like good candidates. Most of the land war was fought over agriculturally important areas (China and the western Soviet Union) and food shortages were sometimes important. Availability of consumer goods could influence stability and be used as a way to keep Democratic countries especially from shifting to wartime production and recruitment levels too early. Shortages of consumer goods and consequent decreases in stability could also make Germany's late game more interesting: Germany players would have to gradually shift from political stability and blitzkrieg to goods shortages, lowered stability, and a war of attrition.
Same sentiments. I would love to see the Sino-Japanese War go stalemate instead of the broad fronts that the IJA keeps on pushing.

• 4Like
Reactions:
They were modelled on historical maps (although finding good maps for 1936 specifically was a bit of a challenge, so I had to use maps from the late 20ies and early 30ies). That said, there were a number of creative decisions for the sake of balance and performance. Not every possible railroad was included, and I aimed more for representing the major network layout (so the French network is heavily centered around Paris, for example) instead of representing every railroad ever. For large parts of central Europe, being completely accurate would have meant covering every province with railroads in ever direction, making them somewhat pointless (and more performance intensive as every unit has to constantly calculate which of the hundreds of nodes is the correct one to draw supplies from). We are still tweaking the system though, so we may decide to add a few railways that don't exist in 1936 but would be complete no-brainers to build at the game start to fix glaring supply issues in various places (The Japanese-Chinese frontier is a bit of a problem child in this regard).

In the final resort, if we have to choose between building the entire system around working with a 100% accurate historical setup or adding a single low-level railway somewhere and have it work with an otherwise balanced system, we will do the latter.

It depends. The Autobahn focus does not give you railways, but the Australian and Indian focuses talking about railways do. They either upgrade existing railways or add some in places that I thought it would make sense.
The Canadian Maritime Railway heck yeah. How does this new supply system work for navies or other aspects, say Canada shipping troops from Canada across into northern France for that sexy Dunkirk. Could I just have all my supplies stored in England for that moment?

you mean for strategic redeployment? I am hoping we can tie it together so most of the speed buff comes from rails but we havent done that yet
Strategic redeployment that requires either trucks or trains would be sweet.

Reactions:
They were modelled on historical maps (although finding good maps for 1936 specifically was a bit of a challenge, so I had to use maps from the late 20ies and early 30ies).
@Archangel85 Regarding that, here take this side - I made account here especialy to write this message. http://igrek.amzp(dot)pl/ Its polish site with archives of maps, not just polish made but even german or russians ones, from interwar era and WW2 era (some even post war or before WW 1). Hope you can find what you need - Europe is nicely detailed there with many good quality photos. Here's some example - http://maps.mapywig(dot)org/m/Russian_and_Soviet_maps/series/042K/LXXXIV-A_(BREST-LITOVSK)_1929.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions:
Suddenly - Siege of Petersburg mod idea hits me.

Reactions:
I guess the real question here is: will the AI by taught to know that railroads matter, and to focus on them? Which ties into the larger question for the entire patch/dlc: will the frontline AI finally improve from terrible to acceptable?

• 3Like
Reactions:
Does the usage of trucks for logistics increase fuel consumption? logically it should. Seems that it was one of the reasons German for the whole WW2 used horse drawn carts for logistics.

• 6Like
Reactions:
The flow of supply from a Hub to a division depends on the terrain/weather etc, and ideally you want to have available trucks here (which is to say, motorized equipment) to increase the amount of supply you get as well as range.

Considering the vast majority of the German army in 1941 was still supplied by horses, will we see any kind of equine reserve or health notice?

Reactions: