• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HOI4 Dev Diary - Combat and Stats changes

Hi everyone and welcome back to another dev diary! Today is about various changes that affect combat and units. With the Barbarossa update we want to shake up the meta a bit and also change a few stats and other aspects to make using the tank designer more interesting and rewarding.

High Command bonus changes
For a long time now unit bonuses from high command have confused people. Most expect that they apply to battalions, when in fact they apply only if their target unit type was “the majority type”, which was basically a weighted type count. They also could overlap, so infantry, mountaineers and artillery would apply to the same units letting you stack stuff in ways that was never intended and quite unintuitive.

Screenshot_1.png

This system has now changed, and divisions get bonuses based on their composition, this is a straight up ratio based on the number of non-support battalions of each type, so a 2x artillery 3x infantry division will be 40% artillery 60% infantry.
Battalions are always classified as a single type for this (even though some are scripted with multiple types) based on this priority:
cavalry > armor > artillery > motorized > mechanized > infantry

The exceptions being rocket & special forces, which both act as an addition, so if the 3 infantry divisions in the example above were mountain units, then the division would also be 60% special forces and if the 2 artillery are nebelwerfers it'd also be 40% rocket

When counting the battalions of armies (ie when we have an actual unit and not only a division template), battalions that lack equipment will count as less, so a Light Tank battalion with only half it's tanks will count as 0.5 battalions (and not count at all if without tanks). The total sum of the compositions will still end up 100% (unless every battalion is without equipment).

Screenshot_3.png

To make it easier to see this we now have an indicator in the division windows showing the breakdown.

Combat Width
As a part of our efforts to shake up the 40/20 width meta, we have made changes to the combat width of province terrain. Province widths now range from 75 to 96. Plains have a new base combat width of 90, while Mountains have a new combat width of 75. Most of these widths will not divide into each other easily, hopefully moving the ideal width away from multiples of 10.

Urban provinces are now the “widest” with a width of 96. But this does not mean they will be the easiest provinces to overwhelm. Mountains, marshes, and urban provinces now have reinforcement widths of ⅓ of province width instead of ½. This should hopefully give these provinces a slight defensive buff, while allowing us to open up pushing power in the more open tiles.

Screenshot_2.png

In conjunction with these changes, we have also been looking at reducing the overstacking penalty. We hope that this will alleviate some of the need to have divisions that are the perfect width for a given province. But at the same time, smaller countries should now be able to specialize their division width to suit their home terrain more appropriately.

Breakdown (numbers not final etc etc)
  • Plains
    • Standard 90
    • Reinforce 45
  • Desert
    • Standard 90
    • Reinforce 45
  • Forest
    • Standard 84
    • Reinforce 42
  • Jungle
    • Standard 84
    • Reinforce 42
  • Hills
    • Standard 80
    • Reinforce 40
  • Marsh
    • Standard 78
    • Reinforce 26
  • Urban
    • Standard 96
    • Reinforce.32
  • Mountain
    • Standard 75
    • Reinforce 25
One of the major things that make larger divisions like 40 width armor hit disproportionally harder than smaller ones is also how targeting and damage works inside combat in relation to the enemies defense. Essentially the larger divisions make more efficient use of concentrated damage as it punches through defense. To solve this we are doing a few things. First of all we are weighting the targeting towards wider divisions being more likely targets and also when picking targets to try and match it to have wider divisions spread damage over smaller rather than always concentrating it. They will probably still hit harder, but combined with width changes and other downsides of larger divisions it should make it less clear cut.
However, this part isn’t quite done yet though so I’ll cover it again in more detail in one of the “bag of tricks” diaries in the future when i see how it pans out, but I figured it needed to be mentioned now ;) That said though, to wet your appetites here is a little tease from a debug mapmode in development...
1620214309589.png

Armor and Piercing
Currently the effects of having stronger armor than the enemy can pierce, or being able to pierce an enemies armor are binary and give fixed bonuses. This meant that there wasn't really any benefit to have more armor than you needed to stop the enemies piercing, and also that being a single point of piercing under enemy armor was just as bad as having no piercing. So things were quite binary. With the tank designer coming we wanted to make it feel like your investments in upgrades were always worth it, so we are changing armor and piercing to have more gradual effects.

Armor > Piercing
  • Unit takes half damage (as it currently works)
Armor < Piercing and Amor > 0.75 * Piercing
  • Take damage between half damage to normal damage by difference in value
Armor < 0.75 * Piercing
  • The unit takes normal damage
Lets break this down with an example:
  • A panzer division has an armor value of 52
  • Its being attacked by an infantry division with some anti-tank guns. Their piercing is 60
  • If this was the old system this armor would be worthless and not reduce damage at all
  • Now because its close enough (between 60 and 45), so you get roughly half of the normal effect around 25% reduction of damage.

Reliability
For the tank designer it was important that reliability was more impactful if it was to be a good tradeoff with other aspects of design, so we needed to change it up (lest @CraniumMuppets 0% reliability tank monsters would take over the world). Now it will not just affect rate of loss in attrition but various other aspects:
  • Reliability affects losses from attrition like before
  • Reliability now affects org regain when moving, and also makes any weather related org effects more impactful when low
  • Lower reliability scales up all impacts from weather so if facing extreme weather a unit with low reliability equipment will suffer more of those weather effects
  • At the end of combat units with better reliability will be able to get back a certain amount of tanks etc to simulate that simple more reliable constructions would work better for battlefield repair and be less fragile when taking damage. So it's a bit like capturing enemy equipment in combat - but in reverse :cool:

Screenshot_4.png

Our goal is that this creates interesting tradeoffs when designing equipment and will make you have to consider if its worth switching a strategy focused on speed and firepower towards reliability when operating in bad weather and tough areas like the Russian winter or in northern africa or jungles.

Oh, and I figured now might be a good time to point out that there will be a future diary on weather changes and other cool related stuff, so these changes aren't completely in isolation. But one step at a time :)

But before we go, a few words about the studio...

Studio Gold
Hello everyone, my name is Thomas, but perhaps better known as @Besuchov here :)

As you saw here we have recently reorganized ourselves a little, moving from a big centralized Stockholm studio to splitting ourselves into Red, Green and Gold. This is mainly an internal org shift to make sure we keep our growing organization firmly focused around making good games. You shouldn't notice too many differences in the short term, we are still PDS making GSG on the Clausewitz engine, but it does mean that we can align each studio to the particular games. Since you will hear the studio names every once in a while, I just wanted to say who I am and what the studio is responsible for.

My role is Studio Manager, which means I'm accountable for the long term success of Studio Gold and working with things like management, staffing, and long term plans. Studio Gold has as its main focus Hearts of Iron (but we may or may not have some secret other stuff as well). Directly making the games though, that's still the job of Podcat and the team, but I intend to do my best to create an environment where we have the best chances to make great games together.

For me this is coming full circle at Paradox. I started as a programmer in 2004 and one of my first tasks was to work on Hearts of Iron 2. Since then I've done various things including being lead programmer for Hearts of Iron 3 (and Victoria 2), Project Lead for EU4 and more recently Studio Manager for PDS. Next to EU, HOI is my favorite game and I'm delighted to be back in a place where I can focus on fewer games and where that game is Hearts of Iron. You will see more of me in the future even though I will mostly take a backseat to the team working on the game.

That’s all, see you all again next week for more dev diary goodness!

• 311Like
  • 83Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Most of the changes seen are good. A more transparent and balanced method for stacking bonuses is quite reasonable, but I fell as if this will simply just streamline the choice of advisors in such a way where you will only choose infantry. What will happen if one would run an equal amount of different division types? Would one be able to choose. Changes to piercing are great and are long overdue and the buff to reliability will need to have a bit more transparency or feedback so a player will be able to see the impact of reliability. I assume weather will play a larger role in this expansion so reliability will be quite a bit more important, but its importance needs to be made known to a player in some way or another lest they will either feel frustrated for losing due to one stat or it will continue to be a win more upgrade. I am not advocating for reliability to be so powerful as for players to play an entire game built around it and simply with for the stat to be a bit more than a win-more as it is in the present. The combat width changes are a bit confusing as it will hardly change the meta in my eyes. It simply makes it more ideal for players to run smaller divisions that act as skirmishers that will lag the game or it will be simply ignored as players run slightly modified divisions or around 30 width to take advantages the abundant plains terrain or a combination of the two before mentioned tactics. I don't know how I feel about creating templates specifically for a certain type of terrain unless an abundance of terrain is encountered such as jungles so I am a bit ambivalent towards these changes. Development is not complete on the subject matter so I have some hope that these concerns will be put at ease in the future.

The game does need mechanics that slow down the game a little bit, but without making the combat more deadly.
How about making units move more slowly? The tank diary was insistent that tank speeds are average speeds including sleep, maintenance etc., not maximums. Yet infantry division reference speed is still 96 km/d (recon and doctrines can buff this further). The minimum possible speed under the worst possible conditions (deep snow, no supply, what-have-you) is still 24 km/d. Both of those are too fast by a factor of two at least.

• 4Like
Reactions:
How about making units move more slowly? The tank diary was insistent that tank speeds are average speeds including sleep, maintenance etc., not maximums. Yet infantry division reference speed is still 96 km/d (recon and doctrines can buff this further). The minimum possible speed under the worst possible conditions (deep snow, no supply, what-have-you) is still 24 km/d. Both of those are too fast by a factor of two at least.
Armored core could move 150-200km/24h, motorized infantry could be a bit faster at at most 300km/24h.

Current speeds sort of checking out, before various buffs apply. What doesn't check out, is foot infantry, that should be able to move 30-40km, so 2-2.5kmh, not 4.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Is there any chance that infrastructure could be used as a modifier for combat width in a province.
the great plains of russia comes to mind must combat were centered around the rail-lines and roads.

• 1Like
Reactions:
like the change on combat width. Seems like 25 width will be the be the new standard. We will have to adapt on certain terrains tho.
For the armour change, by not implement a roll distributed on a normal distribution around values of armour and piercing. Distribution could be that you have less than 0,1% to have piercing/armour at +/-2,5 of base value and your bonus in attack is 10*(piercing-armour) in % if piercing > armour and 0 else.
That way, with a base value of piercing inferior to armour base value, you can statistically pierce armour on good rolls and mitigate the enemy bonus by having good armour, making AT guns more useful and making superior armour useful too.
Numbers here are just examples and can be changed for better balance of the game.
Also if you want to either give an edge to armour or piercing, you can make the bell curve larger for either of the 2 values.

Cool diary!

Dear devs, considering that you do changes to combat width in relationship with terrain (which I love!), I would urge u to revisit some parts of the map and their terrain.
You know...the currently wooded steppes in southern russia near stalingrad...
The currently flat and empty jungle islands of the pacific...
And my all time favorite ofc the currently forest areas in south east asia, which should be jungles

As always, thx for reading

• 4Like
Reactions:
I can't wait to min/max my divisions, draw the frontline and see them scatter completely random (armored in mountains, motorized in marsh etc.)

• 8Haha
Reactions:
This is all well and good for the people who are really into HOI4, but what about casual players who might struggle with all the new updates?

We haven’t seen details but it seems they will make the differences between division designs smaller.

Now it matters if you do 30 width or 40 width.

After the changes it will matter less.
That could make it easier for new players.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Armored core could move 150-200km/24h, motorized infantry could be a bit faster at at most 300km/24h.

Current speeds sort of checking out, before various buffs apply. What doesn't check out, is foot infantry, that should be able to move 30-40km, so 2-2.5kmh, not 4.
not to mention moving or even fighting with non-motorized artillery basically reduces that even further, light infantry should do at best 4/5 km/h, since they don t have to deal with the artillery

So it's a bit like capturing enemy equipment in combat - but in reverse :cool:
About capturing enemy equipment:
Is there a chance to actually use it for boosting your research of new guns and tanks models?
I am thinking about Stellaris when you grab pieces of blasted spaceships after a glorious space battle :p

• 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
100% true, but in a game with a global map, with divisions as the basic unit, certain abstractions are made. Independent regiment/brigade/Kampfgruppe action was absolutely commonplace but it'd be rare for a unit detached thus to get farther away from its parent division than width of an in-game province. In general we should consider detached actions to be subsumed components of the generalized province-wide battle.

I'm the sort who translates dusty old photocopies of TOEs for units that have been whispers and dust for almost a century, so believe me, I know the small stuff is mega important too. Just, we can't granularly depict absolutely everything, or the game would be figuratively unplayable.
The examples I cited were cases where brigades were deployed quite far away from the "parent" division, but I think the current system in the game handles brigade sized units perfectly well already, actually. The only thing that is lacking is the ability to split a division into two templates (or combine two into one template) as opposed to change the template from one organisation to another. This is a shame, as it's possible to do just that with air and naval units - just not with land ones.

If you really were "pretty good" at the game, you would be capable of using all the features and game mechanics without wanting the AI to do it for you. Navy is easy to manage if you put in the time to learn how to use it.
I for one would want the Hoi 3 AI management where you could simply leave the AI to manage different parts of the game
Regarding piercing, I don’t see why people are up in arms with pierce < armor being binary.

if your at shell can’t pierce, it can’t pierce. It doesn’t matter how close you were, if you can’t—you can’t. Now once you approach the threshold where a shell of size X can pierce in certain circumstances, you begin to be able to pierce. As the shell size increases, or shape charges are invented, the odds you you piercing go up until you can reliably always pierce the enemy armor. But so long as you can’t meet that minimum threshold of being able to pierce at least *some* of the time, it doesn’t matter how close you were—you still can’t pierce.

also re: division templates. I don’t think the intent is for a single nation to be making a template for each terrain type for both infantry and armor. I think the intent is for a 24 width template and a 20 width and a 25 width and a 30 width to not result in wildly different outcomes. As it is now, everyone independent of country or terrain reality is incentivized to run with 10w, 20w or 40w templates. If you deviate you’re gonna get wrecked. There will likely be a catch mall template that savvy USA Germany, UK and USSR players will field when fighting in N Africa and Europe. But if a player decides they want 3 arty battalions, 9 infantry battalions and doesn’t want to invest in an AT battalion their disadvantage isn’t the width, it’s the combat stats that additional arty battalion brings coupled with the disadvantages of no AT battalion. These width changes seem to jointly disincentivize 40w while also making width less dogmatic.
tanks weren't perfectly armoured boxes on all sides btw

I for one would want the Hoi 3 AI management where you could simply leave the AI to manage different parts of the game

tanks weren't perfectly armoured boxes on all sides btw
It's not like they were permanently flanked by AT either. The Armour mechanic is about a dominance of superior Tanks - they still lose Equipment to hard attack, but by and large can wreak havoc among the enemy.
That IS a binary Situation, either your Tanks are comparatively fred to move or they are effectively fought against.

• 1Like
Reactions:
My question is whether the AI for smaller nations will then develop specialized divisions for its area, so will Greece just spam random divisions or build dedicated mountain fighting troops. Will Luxembourg form its divisions optimized for city fighting?

This system has now changed, and divisions get bonuses based on their composition, this is a straight up ratio based on the number of non-support battalions of each type, so a 2x artillery 3x infantry division will be 40% artillery 60% infantry.
Battalions are always classified as a single type for this (even though some are scripted with multiple types) based on this priority:
cavalry > armor > artillery > motorized > mechanized > infantry
Still not clear:
  • will said infantry/artillery division receive 40% of that 15% buff? Or will those two battalions receive 15% buff?
  • need more clarification on types: what is SPAA? armour? TD? SPG? Is motorized artillery considered artillery or motorized? etc, etc...
  • will there be an easily accessible information on said types in-game? (on research screen more specifically: it's not fun finding out that you need to switch your high command after the fact)
As a part of our efforts to shake up the 40/20 width meta
But is it really a problem?
One of the major things that make larger divisions like 40 width armor hit disproportionally harder than smaller ones is also how targeting and damage works inside combat in relation to the enemies defense. Essentially the larger divisions make more efficient use of concentrated damage as it punches through defense. To solve this we are doing a few things. First of all we are weighting the targeting towards wider divisions being more likely targets and also when picking targets to try and match it to have wider divisions spread damage over smaller rather than always concentrating it. They will probably still hit harder, but combined with width changes and other downsides of larger divisions it should make it less clear cut.
However, this part isn’t quite done yet though so I’ll cover it again in more detail in one of the “bag of tricks” diaries in the future when i see how it pans out, but I figured it needed to be mentioned now ;) That said though, to wet your appetites here is a little tease from a debug mapmode in development...
Wouldn't it be easier to simply take all attacks and distribute them among enemy divisions, proportional to width, than play with targeting? Seems to me it would address most problems with 40w divisions.
Armor and Piercing
Any chance we'll get line AT buff to make it a danger to tanks?
Reliability
Can you do something about putting reliability everywhere in tooltip? Unifying penalties or something? Looks so redundant when repeated everywhere.

Reactions:
This dev diary looks great! Keep that up.
Still not clear:
  • will said infantry/artillery division receive 40% of that 15% buff? Or will those two battalions receive 15% buff?
  • need more clarification on types: what is SPAA? armour? TD? SPG? Is motorized artillery considered artillery or motorized? etc, etc...
  • will there be an easily accessible information on said types in-game? (on research screen more specifically: it's not fun finding out that you need to switch your high command after the fact)
But is it really a problem?
Wouldn't it be easier to simply take all attacks and distribute them among enemy divisions, proportional to width, than play with targeting? Seems to me it would address most problems with 40w divisions.
Any chance we'll get line AT buff to make it a danger to tanks?Can you do something about putting reliability everywhere in tooltip? Unifying penalties or something? Looks so redundant when repeated everywhere.
The problem with simply spreading the attacks evenly is that it would enable combat width 2 spam, except Podcast said there was some special system in place to prevent that, but I don't know what that is exactly.

• 5Like
Reactions:
The problem with simply spreading the attacks evenly is that it would enable combat width 2 spam, except Podcast said there was some special system in place to prevent that, but I don't know what that is exactly.
It's 2% per division over limit. Limit is filling frontage with 10w divisions, basically.

Edit: as for spamming low widths - can always make org additive or something. Balance it properly and they won't be that much better.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Please update the tactics requirements, many tactics need exactly full combat width to trigger, but having reserve that cannot join battle is enough condition.

For example, Encirclement tactics need 80w or 81w to trigger and will not trigger if at 79 width.

Last edited:
  • 11Like
Reactions: