Supply is getting fixed..... or is it?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

minimouse007

Captain
47 Badges
Jul 9, 2015
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Empire of Sin
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
1. I think i will start to make these regularly, just because. The points are certain problem-categories, which i think are not discussed enough, or i would try to look at them from a different point of view, often with the aim to create answers which are easy and cost-efficient to implement.

Soooo i guess everything will be alright regarding supplies in barbarossa. Right?

Is the problem of supplies just related to the supply system? Definitely not. I would say that half of the reason the supply system is annoying is your goddamn allies. Whether it's D-Day , with you putting allies ashore in france, or Greece, as try to clear out a large allied landing as germany.. the same thing destroys your situation, your allies. That's it. It is especially horrible in late game, where the allied zergrush puts 3 times the divisions on a supplyzone you try to push through, removing any possibility of success.

So in bulletpoints, what is the issue?

1. You have little to no say in where and how your allies deploy your divisions, like the faction's high commands don't exist, or something.
  2. Minor nations keep sending everywhere their troops, even though they literally didn t want to, historically.
  3. Factions and diplomacy overall feel meaningless.
  4. Allies are realllyyyy op in the game, but this strength shatters on the meaningless deployment of said strength, if they wouldn t actually starve each out from supplies, the game should be over sooner. This is somewhat counteracted by the problems at axis. (ai issue, overall)
Historical context and gameplay connection

In the past years, Mexico and Turkey were added to the allied side of the game. The problem isn't their involvement, the problem is that they each contribute 10+ divisions, while historically only mexico sent pilots. (aaand economic support, but that is another deal). So i hope that brazil will get it's own focus tree, but at this point. we are having the axis facing just another major power, from the divisions they didn t have to face historically. Actually Bulgaria is in here too: it only really saw serious combat against axis forces, despite spending most of the war in the axis.
Interestingly countries were a lot more protective in their deployment of troops in the war, than they seem in hoi4. Early in africa, the australians and kiwis deploy together an actually significant force to help the allied war efforts. In 1941 however, the japanese invasion sees most of these troops returning. (the 9th australian remains until el-amein, the 2nd kiwi until the end of the war). So in reality, in the last years of the war, australia and new zealand were represented by a... single division in the european theater. Why? most of their forces were used in the pacific, and australia really used all their diplomatic channels, to tell their allied boss that they do not agree to deploy troops in africa, while japan was about to tango at darwin. In-game? They spam Europe, obviously, although australia does seem to realize to a degree the closeness of japan.
Aaand the axis minors.... oh boi. Here we go.
Well shortly, that whole cooperation thingy was... iffy. So germoney has two somewhat willing ally to commit troops, i ve overestimated it. First Italy is actually trying it's own thing... yeah we know how that went. Overcommited in ethiopia, lybia and greece, they failed. Nonetheless when germany 'asked' them, they still sent troops to the eastern front. The other more willing ally was romania, who committed actually a decent sized army at the start (FOR AXIS MINORS, DUH) of the eastern front. But their attempts to show loyalty weren t really out of the blue, they really wanted bessarabia back. Also Finland commited actualy quite a few troops, buut really only to reoccupy their old territory, they really didn t want to commit to this 'destroying ussr" thingy. Bulgaria as mentioned previously basically forgets the eastern front exists, and declares war on the allies only in 1941 dec. Hungary, the exemplary axis minor is surprised by the shocking attack on ussr (yes), and declares war on the ussr days later than the rest. It quickly mobilizes the fast corps and sends it east, but it starts operating well after the barbarossa starts since.... hungary really wasn t told about this (or probably few leaders were, but the army definitely didn t know about it). These fast corps are actually only a corps, 2-2.5 divisions worth cavalry, light tanks, armoured cars and motorized. They do relatively well, but after some losses into the summer, they are pulled back, and after decent german pressure they are replaced with some occupation troops for the countryside. The battle of moscow however results in a lot of german pressure, for the minors (yes italy, you are the biggest minor), and the diplomacy actually breaks down to the marketplace haggling, with the axis minors wanting to send less troops, and the germans wanting more. The deal is reached mostly favourably for the germans, but they are asked to supply these minor armies with at guns and artillery, however, what they give them are few and 2nd line weapons. Obviously as russians close in in 44, these axis minors deploy more troops to defend themselves. But they mostly just try to change side. Like, all of them.
Part of the reason for keeping troops home are actually... the other 'allies'. Slovakia, hungary, romania and bulgaria all have border disputes with each other with slovakia and bulgaria not having only because they are too far from each other. In fact, there is this funny story, that the hungarian river transport ships went down the donau/duna, through the edge of the black sea, and up the rivers to supply the axis forces there. However they had to cross through romanian occupational troops, of which one of them actually started to take potshots at these transports with rifle-fire. As russian air attacks increased, these transports were equipped with 20mm flaks with german crews. The hungarians purposefully "forgetting" to tell them, the flak-gunners responded with a hail of fire on the romanian origin of said shots, actually creating a small scale local battle between axis forces, lmao (without injuries). after the incident, the germans asked in strongly worded letters the romanians, not to do this ever again. Axis minors, HELL YEAH!
So obviously the eagerness of ai to use their troops to destroy communism is a bit... iffy.

What could be an actually fun and not too hard to introduce?

Theatres of war

The aim is to restrict access based on a factional level. Maybe to even include possibility of doing so between different factions fighting in the same war (china, comintern, allies) but that is already solved mostly with military access.

Theatres?
They are supposed to be larger areas, including all the states and airports (not airspace) in them. Ex: France should be it s own theatre, or the uk, or iberia. While the scope of said theatres could change (maybe more countries?) too large would become to restrictive, too small too tedious to use.

Who decides?
Faction lead for the entire faction. It would make the position more fun and meaningful. Faction leader appoints theater commander to a theatre, theatre commander being a country in the faction, ai or human. Would be interesting not to allow integrated puppets to be able to be theatre commanders, after all dominions are dominions.

What is in the deal?
Obviously, who can enter, and how. But also construction rights, makes no sense to wait for france to repair cherbourg, while the might of us industry would do it in weeks. Sure, this is no problem in multi, but in singleplayer? oh boi. Also, possibly, occupation rights. What do you mean Romania can say no to Germany asking for Ucraine?

Troop deployment
-
Countries should obviously have the access to their own theatres. Whether access within their theatres to other countries should be allowed, or how restricted is up for debate, have no clue.

Types of said deployment:
  1. Full access. You can do whatever you want, like good old times.
  2. Independent army. You dont control your army, however it comes together as a package: the army with it's general. It would allow to recreate army groups B and A, with their multi-national armies under the german high command.
  3. Only divisions. Like expeditionary forces. buut... with haggling... : (you can create your own armies from these)
Your personal turkish merchant

Well as i explained on the historical side, there was a lot of haggling about who goes where. So either when rule 2 or 3 applies, you would get a haggling window, with a: if someone would like to assist with a force there, the divisions they offer, or b: if someone (germany, cough) asks for a force, the force they would require. Of course, given the theatre's commander's position, all offer's can be completely refused, but not all requirements (again, germany, cough). However in these cases, you can offer other troops or ask for other ones: "i'm happy france that you offer your underequipped infantry, but i would rather require your armoured one, it looks more promising" or " oh, germany, i'm such a loyal ally, sure i'm going to send you the troops you asked for, but i would rather keep my best armoured units home, would that bother you?". Also, into this haggling you can introduce one side asking for equipment, like the deals made by axis minors.

This obviously would be the hardest stuff, for ai coding purposes, and although it would still work fine without, i really feel like a flavour for inter-faction diplomacy to be fun.

Construction rights:

1. Obvious, full control over buildings and repairs
  2. Limited control, can t build stuff that used building slots
  3. only repairs. (does this even make sense)?

Obviously, the goal is simply to remove the annoying side of fighting on destroyed allied infrastructure, but enlargening the allied infrastructure really can t be done without mods.

Occupation rights:

1. Who occupies stuff, obviously.
  2. Garrison manpower possibly? (like maybe the ask for garrison manpower could be put here to be more detailed, but there is not much need)
So on what grounds should ai give theatre commands?

-Industry, obviously
-Number of divisions
-Geographic positions
-existing warscore
-diplomatic opinion

So if you implement this, it should work like this: even if us is so strong, uk wouldn t give many pacific theatres outside of us territory to us, because us has few divisions. Also because they are so close, australia and or nz can get stuff in the area of new-guinea/solomon islands, becasue they are just strong enough for that. Also, us early on only gets maybe western african theater, and that s it. However, as it keeps spamming divisions, it should get more in the pacific, africa and europe, until the point he is strong enough to be faction leader, and tell the rest where to deploy.

So what would be the major benefits?

-Workable AI-human relations, obviously. They are pretty bad, right now.
-more interesting diplomacy for within the faction.
-More expectable and player-friendly allied armies. can finally put the guys without the at guns on the eastern front again, yaaay!

ai being restricted to think between a few zones, should solve the major problem of allies transporting all their units constantly between alexandria and liverpool. All hail the stability! This would effectively buff factions, making them better at using their armies, but being also less keen on deploying them more far away from home would balance it somewhat

there should be special game rules, such as: *always giving players full access, or *only apply divisional restrictions, player should stay in charge*. these should be there, so the negative impact of said system could be avoided if needed, the side which would make minors far less fun to play (as they were, historically)

yes, i know mods exist out there. but they are tedious to use often, sometimes just don t work, and this could easily be made one of the cornerstone of the diplomacy of the time.

feel free to add into the logical holes, or discuss

cheers!

• 19Like
Reactions:
Good suggestions, this issue has bothered me for years.

I've suggested in the past that we get an Allied Supreme Commander. It should be the Player if playing an Allied Major country and the AI if not After reading your ideas the SCAEF should have the power to repair infrastructure, build or improve Naval Bases, Air Base, Radar, AA. It could be an ability that lasts 120 days and only used twice in a game. It could even be restricted to a Theatre (using previous post ideas) such as Occupied France/ Low Countries or the Med. In the new DLC he could also have some control over supply.

To me it's crazy that the Allies don't have a Supreme Commander in this historical WW2 game.

History demands Allied Supreme Commanders should be in Europe, Mediterranean, Southeast Asia, Western Pacific. Personally I'd settle for Europe.

Dwight Eisenhower served as Supreme Commander Allied Expeditionary Force (SCAEF) for the Battle of Normandy during World War II. The Allied Mediterranean theatre's Commander-in-Chief, Allied Force, the American Commander-in-Chief South West Pacific and Commander-in-Chief Pacific Ocean Areas also functioned as de facto supreme commanders. These commanders reported to the Combined Chiefs of Staff, although in the case of the American commanders in the Pacific and SACSEA, the relevant national command authorities of the Joint Chiefs of Staff or the Chiefs of Staff Committee had responsibility of the main conduct of the war in the theatre of operations.

General of the Army Dwight Eisenhower had the highest profile of the supreme commanders. He served successively as the Allied Mediterranean theatre's Commander in Chief, Allied Force and then as European theatre's Supreme Commander Allied Expeditionary Force (SCAEF). Eisenhower was succeeded in the Mediterranean by his former deputy, Field Marshal Henry Maitland Wilson, who was given the title Supreme Allied Commander Mediterranean. Wilson was succeeded by Field Marshal Harold Alexander, who continued in charge of allied forces until the end of the war. The post of Supreme Commander South East Asia Command (SACSEA) was occupied throughout most of its existence by Admiral Lord Louis Mountbatten. The post of the American Commander-in-Chief South West Pacific was held by General of the Army Douglas MacArthur.

Following the end of the war, the term came into use again with the formation of NATO, at which point Eisenhower again found himself as Supreme Allied Commander. -WIKIA.ORG

• 2Like
Reactions:
Good suggestions, this issue has bothered me for years.

I've suggested in the past that we get an Allied Supreme Commander. It should be the Player if playing an Allied Major country and the AI if not After reading your ideas the SCAEF should have the power to repair infrastructure, build or improve Naval Bases, Air Base, Radar, AA. It could be an ability that lasts 120 days and only used twice in a game. It could even be restricted to a Theatre (using previous post ideas) such as Occupied France/ Low Countries or the Med. In the new DLC he could also have some control over supply.

To me it's crazy that the Allies don't have a Supreme Commander in this historical WW2 game.

History demands Allied Supreme Commanders should be in Europe, Mediterranean, Southeast Asia, Western Pacific. Personally I'd settle for Europe.

Dwight Eisenhower served as Supreme Commander Allied Expeditionary Force (SCAEF) for the Battle of Normandy during World War II. The Allied Mediterranean theatre's Commander-in-Chief, Allied Force, the American Commander-in-Chief South West Pacific and Commander-in-Chief Pacific Ocean Areas also functioned as de facto supreme commanders. These commanders reported to the Combined Chiefs of Staff, although in the case of the American commanders in the Pacific and SACSEA, the relevant national command authorities of the Joint Chiefs of Staff or the Chiefs of Staff Committee had responsibility of the main conduct of the war in the theatre of operations.

General of the Army Dwight Eisenhower had the highest profile of the supreme commanders. He served successively as the Allied Mediterranean theatre's Commander in Chief, Allied Force and then as European theatre's Supreme Commander Allied Expeditionary Force (SCAEF). Eisenhower was succeeded in the Mediterranean by his former deputy, Field Marshal Henry Maitland Wilson, who was given the title Supreme Allied Commander Mediterranean. Wilson was succeeded by Field Marshal Harold Alexander, who continued in charge of allied forces until the end of the war. The post of Supreme Commander South East Asia Command (SACSEA) was occupied throughout most of its existence by Admiral Lord Louis Mountbatten. The post of the American Commander-in-Chief South West Pacific was held by General of the Army Douglas MacArthur.

Following the end of the war, the term came into use again with the formation of NATO, at which point Eisenhower again found himself as Supreme Allied Commander. -WIKIA.ORG
yeah, but i think it should be tied to any faction, so the axis would have their problems solved too, or any alt-history faction. it's insane how much more fun is it to fight alone, as allies often hinder you more than help, and in a game in which the allied faction or the axis are supposed to be historically important, it should exist at least on the roadmap. again, would boost the game experience so much, yet only tedious-to-use mods try to solve this actually glaring, and rather inauthentic issue

Reactions:
yeah, but i think it should be tied to any faction, so the axis would have their problems solved too, or any alt-history faction. it's insane how much more fun is it to fight alone, as allies often hinder you more than help, and in a game in which the allied faction or the axis are supposed to be historically important, it should exist at least on the roadmap. again, would boost the game experience so much, yet only tedious-to-use mods try to solve this actually glaring, and rather inauthentic issue
I agree.

Sadly it can be a lot more fun to play the US without joining a faction.

Lets also remember the AI has a distinct advantage over the player by having a Supreme Commander built in to the game. Even with the limitations intentionally put in the code and the unintentional poor coding.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The one single reason that I don't play as the Allies is this. The game is automatically completely ahistorical without Allied Supreme Commanders. It's only slightly better for the Axis. The Comintern is more playable until it gets really big - then it's as bad as the Allies. I like playing Japan the most only because it doesn't have too much interference from it's allies.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
We can only hope for the best.

The one single reason that I don't play as the Allies is this. The game is automatically completely ahistorical without Allied Supreme Commanders. It's only slightly better for Axis. The Comintern is more playable until it gets really big - then it's as bad as the Allies. I like playing Japan the most only because it doesn't have too much interference from the it's allies.
yes, when i grew tired of having allies, i go too a ussr/japan run, they are so chill :D

I think the balance between the axis and allies is reasonable. 10 divisions could be something or nothing in certain contexts, and division spam is everywhere. Axis is already very powerful or Russia is too weak or needs a boost after ~1943.

Italy for instance is more powerful than historically and does not shatter / rebel like it did. They usually take over most of africa and refuse to surrender until the allies have 75% of Italy. In fact Italy is basically a giant distraction.

Italian social republic would be a cool thing to have if the allies take Sicily to Rome.

Have to wait to see how it all pans out.

For those of us who play single player, this supply / railroad Network thing might just show that the AI is incompetent when it comes to deep defenses.

It's kind of random but I wonder if different areas could have different width limits....?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think the balance between the axis and allies is reasonable. 10 divisions could be something or nothing in certain contexts, and division spam is everywhere. Axis is already very powerful or Russia is too weak or needs a boost after ~1943.

Italy for instance is more powerful than historically and does not shatter / rebel like it did. They usually take over most of africa and refuse to surrender until the allies have 75% of Italy. In fact Italy is basically a giant distraction.

Italian social republic would be a cool thing to have if the allies take Sicily to Rome.

For those of us who play single player, this supply / railroad Network thing might just show that the AI is incompetent when it comes to deep defenses.

It's kind of random but I wonder if different areas could have different width limits....?
well yes, the balance seems reasonable, but it is worth noting at what cost: italy with usually 20 divisions max in libya, and 30 max in ethiopia occupies most of africa. The allies can t hold back these 50 divisions, because they keep shifting troops around when they shouldn t, and if you keep looking at what is happening, the italians push because sometimes the allies just move nearly every division away, and when there are enough allied divisions there, they hold back the italians easily, or even go on the offense. If they would improve the ai, it would benefit a lot more the allies, and italy definitely wouldn t be able to beat the allies. then those few mexican/turkish/brazilian divisions would be a lot more impactful, while historically the axis wouldn t have had to deal with it.

After much trial and error and reading other players ideas over the years and their advice. I use the strategy playing US of completely skipping Africa and Italy and put all my European efforts into occupied France.

Playing Historical, as quick as you can join the war, become Spy Master, train spies as much as possible, build your spy network in occupied France, Vichy, and the low countries. Use your extra spies to do infiltration and rescue missions only (Army, Navy, Civilian, Resistance Contacts).

Remember to research Amphibious Operations and Landing Craft. I play Mobile Warfare Doctrine in this plan.

Build 3-4 Armies under Eisenhower, Bradley with 20 Divisions 20W 7/2 Leg Infantry, Patton with 15-20 Tank Brigades 20W, Clark with 15-20 20W Mobile Divisions, Hodges with at least 5 Tank Brigades & 1 amphib, add divisions and support as you can. Have Fighters, Tactical Bombers, Navy Bombers, Scout Planes and Heavy Bombers ready to go. Put 2-3 Marine Divisions with 2 amtrac & 2 amphib tanks in each Army for the invasion and river crossings. They key here is to invade as early as you can, move fast, don’t get stuck at the Seine and Loire Rivers. With the spy networks the Naval Invasions don’t need Marines usually but they really help getting over the rivers. If you get stuck at the rivers Germany can reinforce and ruin your plan. With the spy networks you should be able to easily Naval Invade from Britain in the Spring/Summer of 43, capture and hold France, push to Berlin.

Have, subs, fighters, recon, and navy & tactical bombers in the English Channel.

Keep Naval Invasion west of the Seine and don’t go into the Bay of Biscay. It’s not worth the trouble, concentrate on securing Normandy and Brittany. Then move quickly east and south building up your Armies, Divisions, Air Power, and subs. Start moving spy networks into Germany and Italy. The AI will make progress in Italy and Africa but you’ll need to help after France is liberated.

Build stronger Divisions as you progress to Germany. Start out with Support Companies being only Engineers, Recon, and AA, you want to build as fast as you can. Once you cross the Seine and Loire move the Marine Divisions to the Pacific. Bradly or Hodges can keep Marines or replace them with Mountain Infantry. There are still a lot of rivers to cross and you don’t want to get slowed down.

The ultimate goal is to get Germany to capitulate by 45 and then keep moving east to eliminate the Soviet threat.

You still have to control the Pacific and play strong against the Japanese while preparing/executing the European fight.

You won’t need a Surface Navy in the Atlantic except for Convoy Escorts. Build a strong fleet of 1940 Subs along the coast of Africa up to the English Channel and into the Mediterranean.

Improvements welcome.

• 1Like
Reactions: