• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 7th of April 2020

Hey everyone! Today we’ll be talking about two changes, part of the patch coming along with the Emperor expansion. You’ve probably already spotted them both if you had a keen eye on one of our streams.

First feature is part of the Governing Capacity rework and some small rework of Government Reform Progress. We’ve changed so that changing a government reform no longer causes you to gain 10 corruption, instead it costs Government Reform progress to switch on a level you’ve already picked.

upload_2020-4-7_11-4-25.png

Now to the new feature that will be interacting both with Governing Capacity and the Reform Progress. The original intent with Reform Progress was that the larger your empire was, the slower you would be reforming your government and progressing through the reforms. Hence why it is affected by the autonomy of your empire as while expanding heavily your autonomy on average will be higher.

So in that spirit as well we are introducing a choice for the player to instead of reforming their government, they can expand the capabilities of their administration in order to integrate more of their conquered territories as core states. This action increases in cost every time it’s used.

This gives the player besides having to pick what land should be states, trade companies or territory, also a choice on if to advance and modernize their government or if to focus on making sure you have full control over the territory that you possess.

upload_2020-4-7_11-20-41.png

Next thing is a new institution we’ve added that is to go together with several of our late game additions we’ve been doing in this patch. We felt that you could just skip by without any technological disparity in the world for the last 80 years So we added a last institution to represent the Industrial revolution. This revolution started sometime after the 1750, as coal, steam engines saw their use increase and industries grew throughout Europe.

The requirements spawning are very much focused on the wealth from nations that have industrialized. It will spawn in any province that has 30 development, a Furnace built, the owner of the province are the leading producers of either iron, cloth or coal. If it is before 1760 it also requires that the province is in the highest trade node in the world. If the player lacks Rule Britannia, then coal and furnace requirements are replaced to focus on simply iron and cloth manufacturies.

This will give a spurt of technological advancement at the end of the game giving those who have modernized their economy an advantage.

So that’s it for this development diary, short but sweet. Next one will be written by @neondt and will be about the content regarding Imperial Diet’s such as Incidents and will be fairly more substantial.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Er, no? It doesn't even kick in until 1750.

I thought the intervention was about more technological imbalance through the end of the game. Now I see the post talked about 1750, so I was indeed mistaken.

Groogy, are there any plans to extend the game's end date? I feel like with a few tweaks and additions, EU4 can turn into a game that can draw in Vic2 and MOE players.

I really appreciate your guys' second look at the Industrial Revolution institution, I would love to see the game focus more towards building up your state and people and I can see you guys are trying to expand player options in this regard. I find myself feeling rushed in a lot of my games of EU4, and whatever efforts I make to develop lands I do own doesn't feel as rewarding as just conquering more.

I have a questions since I haven't been following up all of these Dev Diaries in full detail.

Can anyone explain to me what is the reason of this incredible huge mega-patch/DLC? I am not complaining, but are they planning to shelf EU IV like CK II after this?

If not, why isn't this patch called 2.0?

DLCs used to take months to make, then they kind of moved to a DLC being released every 2-4 months and they felt lacking and issues were left behind in what's called "tech lag". So to make up for all the time spent pumping out as many DLCs as possible and not fixing things, they are taking their time and fixing lots of stuff. I suspect after this is released we will go back to the release schedule before it was constant cow milking. They won't be major overhauls, like this, but probably bigger updates then some DLCs such as Mandate of Heaven or Cradle of Civilization. I personally like the idea of Immersion Packs, when done properly, so far they've made 3 of them and failed on all 3 so I honestly don't know if they'll make them anymore having struckout now. But there are no plans to ditch EU IV yet, EU V might be in the drawing boards considering how long it takes to get a PDX game ready to go and they'll need to think what's being carried over from EU IV, how else they can improve EU IV before letting it go as a final project, and how much money they can make from EU IV still. Personally I'm starting to lean towards EU V, but I think EU IV can kick around for another couple of years, max 3 more years since that would be 10 years of development on EU IV.

I'm probably far too late to this devdiary, but are there any intentions (current or future) to improve the colonial nations? Have independence wars pop up more frequently, add ideas and mechanics for them, perhaps even allow for a better flag design (like having the British colonial flag style, etc). I think I'm not the only one with a desire for a more in-depth experience in the New World!.
Cheers and great dev diary.

I'm probably far too late to this devdiary, but are there any intentions (current or future) to improve the colonial nations? Have independence wars pop up more frequently, add ideas and mechanics for them, perhaps even allow for a better flag design (like having the British colonial flag style, etc). I think I'm not the only one with a desire for a more in-depth experience in the New World!.
Cheers and great dev diary.

So far it doesn't sound like there's been any plans to really touch up Colonial Nation stuff for this update. However we have seen in the Dev Clash a formable Vermont with their own idea set. I might've forgotten something with how much as been announced and discussed so far though, but from what I remember there's been nothing. It does suck though, while I understand the focus is Europe and I'm really happy for that, their colonies are kind of important and have been left untouched, last I heard the American Revolution event is still bugged so it doesn't trigger. And there should be an event for all nations with CNs where CN liberty desire starts to go up and up, after a CN becomes independent and something for if the home country starts to burn, so if say Revolutionary France invades Spain then the Spanish colonies start to revolt. Just something needs to happen late game once the Age of Revolution starts where the empires of the world start to fracture.

Any chance to extend the end date to 1836 or 1848 to give the AI more time to fall into the industrialization institution?

Rather than extending the end date, I'd much rather wait for that certain heavily demanded game that begins in 1821 and ends in 1936, and let the said game depict the industrial era properly.

EU4's 1821 end date is fine.

Last edited:
Can anyone explain to me what is the reason of this incredible huge mega-patch/DLC?
Jake left Paradox, leaving the EU4 lead position vacant.

Johan returned to EU4 and I think he basically went "everything is on fire. why is everything on fire?"

Rather than extending the end date, I'd much rather wait for that certain heavily demanded game that begins in 1821 and ends in 1936, and let the said game depict the industrial era properly.

EU4's 1821 end date is fine.

CK II goes a bit into EU IV's time, I don't see why EU IV can't be extended a little bit and have Vicky III released and have it's usual time frame still

hey Grooggie can you extent EU4 timeline from 1444 to 2020

I genuinely cannot grasp how can anyone seriously want this game to continue until Hoi4's timeline. Its already innacurate as it is to try to accurately represent Medieval feudalism and the Industrial Revolution with the same mechanics (Shout-out to the advisors portraits where you have 15th century-esque Renaissance Artists and Navigators alongside 19th century-esque Military Officers and Diplomats)

I can't even keep interest in a playthrough going past 1700, can't imagine why would anyone want a longer timeframe.

I genuinely cannot grasp how can anyone seriously want this game to continue until Hoi4's timeline. Its already innacurate as it is to try to accurately represent Medieval feudalism and the Industrial Revolution with the same mechanics (Shout-out to the advisors portraits where you have 15th century-esque Renaissance Artists and Navigators alongside 19th century-esque Military Officers and Diplomats. Or by how there is no difference between melee infantry and missile infantry in the first half of the game)

I can't even keep interest in a playthrough going past 1700, can't imagine why would anyone want a longer timeframe.

Related to this, would it be possible to make some immersion-related graphical changes tied to technology?
Like how military technology changes unit models, Diplomatic technology could change advisor portraits to something more time appropriate and Administrative technology could change the U.I into something more time appropriate.

I would attribute that to a lack of content there, while this update seems to have content to help late game interest, I still think it'll need some work after 1.30
The core problem with the lack of interest in the last century of EU4 is that the only thing stopping a reasonably competent player from being the unassailable hegemon by 1700 is their own deliberate self-restraint.

The core problem with the lack of interest in the last century of EU4 is that the only thing stopping a reasonably competent player from being the unassailable hegemon by 1700 is their own deliberate self-restraint.

Of course, but that's not something an expansion could do, that's more to a lack of AI being as aggressive as a human is and how certain kingdoms and empires are easier to dismantle then they should be, I was just talking from a content point of view