• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 25th of October 2016

Hello everyone and welcome to another Europa Universalis IV development diary. This time we’ll go into the main flavor of the 1.19 patch, which we call Denmark.

Well, why do we call it Denmark? Well.. First of all, we’ve added lots and lots of Dynamic Historical Event to Denmark, bringing them up to par with other european majors. Skåne also starts with the Skånemarket, a large bonus to the fish produced in the province. We have also added a few new provinces in Jylland, while also increasing the development of Denmark as a whole.
eu4_52.png

And as you can see here, the Danes get a nice new unit in 1.19 as well..

eu4_51.png

Norway also got an improvement, getting their map revised to include a fair amount of new provinces, and a wasteland in the center of the mountain range, to make the country more easily defended against the vile swedes. We also gave them a huge chunk of new Dynamic Historical Events, making playing them a fair bit more interesting.
CvhMke2WEAA4Oxh.jpg large.jpg

We also improved the political mapmode, as so many had requested, so we now show the terrain map where there has been no colonisation yet, so you’ll have some more informative eye-candy while playing
eu4_54.png

One other thing to mention today is the fact that we added a fair bit more instructions to the AI for your nation if you crash or are forced to stop playing for a while in a campaign. The following options now exists for your convenience.

• Ignore Decisions -Yes/No
  • Embrace Institutions - Yes/No
  • Develop Provinces - Yes/No
  • Disband Units - Yes/No
  • Change Fleet Missions - Yes/No
  • Send Missionaries - Yes/No
  • Convert Culture - Yes/No
  • Add/Remove Cultures - Yes/No
Stay tuned.. Next week we’ll talk more about forts, peace options and tradegoods, amongst other things.

Reactions:
While the new political mapmode is…interesting, I find the juxtaposition of realistic-looking terrain with large blocks of solid saturated color a bit jarring. It's weird because I like it in the Norway screenshot (that looks cool), but not the North America one, so…I'm conflicted. :confused:

I'll reserve final judgement for after actually playing with it, but could I ask—if it's not too much work—that there be an option to leave the political mapmode the way it is now? Thanks.

Also, province changes are always cool. :D

Reactions:
I think it fits very well because it looks like you're actually painting a world map now. ;)
Indeed, but I like my paintings stylistically consistent. This is like having the Mona Lisa with a few cartoon smiley faces scattered about—the two visual styles clash. I love the terrain map, I think it's really beautifully done, and I like the (current) political map too, I just...don't particularly like them together. I dunno. Maybe it looks better in actual play. I do like how it looks in the Norway picture, like I said. I'm willing to give it a try, I'd just like to know if there will be an option to disable it in case I don't like it. :)

Reactions:
No changes for Sweden? I was hoping atleast they get some DHE too.
Also I wish you could make a unique government for the leader of the Kalmar Union, and make it possible for both Norway and Sweden to lead the Union, maybe some sort of reworked elective monarchy?

Sweden already has an enormous anount of DHE.

Reactions:
I'm a little bit concerned about the new political map mode. It might make telling where a wasteland begins and uncolonized provinces end a bit difficult at a glance. Not that I haven't largely memorized the wastelands already, but still. Maybe it's more obvious in-game than what the screenshots are suggesting.

Reactions:
I know this has been asked before, but will we able to disable the terrain in the political mapmode? I would find it weird to have patch of non-Norwegian colored land in the middle of my empire, and it doesn't always seem to look good in other places. Perhaps split it on two seperate mapmodes?

Last edited:
Reactions:
Reactions:
Is it possible to disable terraine map in political mapmode?
I prefer viewing the simple map with non-colonising land and wasterlands, espessially when i playing in MP. Its really disgusted to see excess information in wars...

Last edited:
Reactions:
Just in case will i be able to turn off the new political mapmode? I am concerned about my framerate. @Johan could you please add an option for that?

Reactions:
@Trin Tragula any input on why the Norwegian province is spelled "Oplandene" with one P? This is the Danish spelling, and Danish wasn't the de facto language of Norway at the time. The other provinces are named according to a mixture of period-correct Norwegian and Norwegian from the time of the national awakening in the 1800s, so I don't get why this one is Danish. If anything, it should be Opplandene (modern standard Eastern Norwegian, plural), Oppland (modern standard Eastern Norwegian name for the place), Upplond (Old West Norse), or Opplanda (dialectal form by which it was definitely called in most of the game's time period) for Norwegian-culture tags, and Oplandene for Danish-culture tags. The Faroes got de-Swedified a few patches ago, so don't Danify our inland, please!

Point taken ^^

I got it from a Norwegian source for what it matters but it was of course talking about the Danish amt so... yeah. ;)

Jotunheimen was fixed since the screenshot was taken too btw.

Reactions:
Denmark is a European major? How large was its transcontinental empire? Did it evolve into a 19th century great power? Did it bring any actual major to heel? How far did it spread Danish, how much did it influence the papacy or the HRE? Did it invent any major political, economic, or military tradition that changed Europe forever?

At game start it certainly did put a lot of influence on the papacy. The Church was in some ways more important to have on your side in Sweden and especially post-black death Norway than on the continent due to a much weaker nobility in general. You'll find the Kalmar union monarchs spent a lot of money, time and effort on influencing the papacy (sometimes going to Rome themselves). The rebel leader on Gotland in 1444 is actually a king deposed by a coup lead by the Archbishop prior to game start (Denmark itself did have a pretty strong nobility though and they certainly were very driving in that deposition too).
The reformation turned out to be a pretty great tool for centralization in these countries partly for the same reason.
Denmark is also certainly a major power at game start in the Northern HRE (successive embarrassing failures to conquer Dithmarshen aside ;)).

While eclipsed by Sweden they remain a regional great power in the north throughout the era and one with exceptionally rich kings due to the Sound Toll. The Danish navy remained a power factor at least up to the Napoleonic wars when the UK decided to destroy it in a sneak attack rather than risk the Danes joining the other side.
As for transcontinental empire, I don't think that's a requirement to be a "European Major" but Denmark did start up successful colonies on all continents (with the major one in India lasting to the 1840s and others even longer).

They're perhaps not one of the winners in 1820 when comparing to the likes of Great Britain, France or Russia but it is certainly a European major at start and there are plenty of ways things might've ended up differently on the way there (to some extent this sentence holds true for Sweden as well, for one thing Scandinavia hasn't really got the population base to be a major power in the 19th century).

Reactions:
Next week trade goods? Finally my prayer has been answered. Really hope for more trade goods and especially manufactured ones.
I was kinda hoping for more trade goods too, and manufactured goods rather than raw materials.

Would be interesting if they had a unique system for slavery as well, especially considering the Triangle Trade.

Reactions:
No changes for Sweden? I was hoping atleast they get some DHE too.
Also I wish you could make a unique government for the leader of the Kalmar Union, and make it possible for both Norway and Sweden to lead the Union, maybe some sort of reworked elective monarchy?

Reactions: