• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 21st of April 2016: Meet the Team + 1.17

Hi all!

In this Dev Diary I'll present the EU4-team as it looks currently.

The Team
  • Johan, still game director, creating the high-level design for the expansions.

• Anona, I’m the new project lead, making sure planning and priorities are made, as well as keeping deadline and being on budget. Been with Paradox for 2,5 years and hope you look forward to the upcoming expansions!

• Gnivom, I’m a new recruit to Paradox who loves EU4. I am a junior programmer who just graduated from High School.

• Chaingun. Programmer on EU4. Conveniently, I used to play EU2 in my early teenage years.

• Trin Tragula, Content Designer. I used to be a modder for PDS games and later became a research alpha/beta for EU4 (mainly doing both pre-AoW and post-AoW India). I joined the EU4 team during the development of Art Of War and my work includes creating and researching most events, missions, decisions, etc in the game as well as any changes to the map.

• LittleFido, embedded QA for EU4, I've been at Paradox for almost two years now and been attached to EU for over a year of that time. I love seeing the project grow and trying to find, reproduce and help solve bugs we encounter. Seeing a new patch or DLC release is at the same time the most exciting and stressful time for me! I hope you all enjoy the game as much as I do!

• I’m DDRJake, QA turned Junior Designer for EU4. I’ve been part of the Paradox family for over a year now after years of sacrificing sleep and other necessities to stare at maps. Continuing to play the game to ensure it is enjoyable and interesting is an important role of mine, as well as writing and refining future designs for EU4. You’ll catch me lurking in the suggestions forum and the bug reports section, taking in community feedback on improving Europa.

• r_lazer, lead programmer on the EU4 team. Started on the EU4 team around 1.5 years ago and have enjoyed working on every DLC since then. El Dorado was a favourite where I got to implement the Nation Designer.

• StarNaN, Embedded QA for EU4. Started working at Paradox last year in December. I’ve been playing Europa Universalis since early EU3 and loved Svea Rike 1 and 2 as a child, therefore I want EU4 to be as good as it can be. My part in doing this is the same as LittleFido, I try to find, reproduce and help solve bugs.

• The Real Timor, I’m the rather odd artist who makes things look nice and neat. Or at least as neat as they can be in a screen with 50+ icons, numerous stats, and tooltips to blot out the sun. Aaah, the beauty of EU4. And let’s not forget the cute Big Blue Blob achievement.

We’re currently working on the upcoming 1.17 patch which we we’ll release when it’s ready. The patch will contain bugfixes and crash fixes for Mare Nostrum such as:

• Christian Hordes will reform into Eastern technology

• Disbanding ships in port will return Sailors to the Sailor Pool

• Fix for the 0Kb savegame crash

• Republican Sufferance impacts sailor gain

• Performance optimization

• Fixed Central African Lakes

• Refining Naval Missions

• OOS fix

• Tightened up AI budgeting to help prevent debt spirals.

Ideas for Dev Diaries
If you have ideas for upcoming dev diaries, feel free to write them below.

/The EU4-Team

Reactions:
Please remake Shinto religion as a part of Pagan group, and syncretic faith like Tengri.
Japan has combined Shinto+Mahayana religion as a state one.

Next, please add estates for those countries that do not have them,
like Celestial Empire or Siberian Clan Council, etc.

And how about inland water fleet actions on a rivers and Caspian sea,
maybe with addition a new ships type (boat/shallop/canoe/etc)?
Fetishist shold probably have syncretism too.

Reactions:
Maybe for the next dev diaries, you could say how these forums affect or influence your decisions for future patches, expansions, DLC, etc.

Reactions:
My guess is that they both came from a common root word that means Romans.
Proto-Germanic *walhaz "foreigner", the source of several exonyms for Celtic or Romance speakers.

Reactions:
Please remake Shinto religion as a part of Pagan group, and syncretic faith like Tengri.
Japan has combined Shinto+Mahayana religion as a state one.

Next, please add estates for those countries that do not have them,
like Celestial Empire or Siberian Clan Council, etc.

And how about inland water fleet actions on a rivers and Caspian sea,
maybe with addition a new ships type (boat/shallop/canoe/etc)?

No need to add estates to tribes as that makes no sense at all. For the governments with factions there should probably be some rebalancing and added decisions/events to bring them up to par with the estates.

As for inland fleets, I don't see it ever happening because of the "trap" factor.

/The EU4-Team

lol I love it when this happens once in a hundred games.

67E023AF612285B410E3A3FE5CCA6956EBDE3249

Reactions:
something something unintended consequences

No, it fits in perfectly with the hierarchy of tech groups:
Western, Eastern, Anatolian, Nomad (in player hands): first class, no non-blobbing requirements to keep up on tech
Muslim, Indian, Chinese, African groups: You need to find a Western guru and read this book backwards to sort out your tech
American tech groups:
200px-Canoa.JPG

Like this, minus the canoe.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I was just reading another thread from someone saying that they would like to play as the Maratha empire on a later bookmark.

It got me thinking that it would be nice to get a DLC with a focus on a later bookmark. I would be happy to pay E15 for the DLC which did a lot of work to improving AI, had maybe 1 major mechanic, some work on balancing a later bookmark along with some cosmetic stuff like new tags or map changes related to what was going on in the world at the start date in whatever bookmark was chosen. Plus of course new achievements to be completed using that start.

I think it would be a great way to freshen up Europa. One of my favourite achievements is BBB because it's a real sprint to get it done. I like the idea of more time limited achievements which by their nature aren't going to be really, really blobby.

Is there a way you can balance the HRE? The scattered regionalism of the HRE dissolves too quickly. Too many small HRE nations get totally conquered in the 16th century. Most of the HRE nations should survive at least until the 17th or 18th century to be historically a little bit more correct.

As a historian who plays EU IV since the old days, was one of my favourite things always the part of the historic events in each country. Of course its just a small part and the "history" of the game is everytime new generated, but I think in such a historic game and with all the different countrys to play, It would be nice to see a lot more historcial events for the different countrys. They don't need to be super epic or something like that, but it would be a greater chance, which country I want to pick. Not just about the gameplay strategy, but also to get influenced by some of the historic events of this country. We have some for france, austria and england, but their're still so many countrys without any historic events or just with 1-2.
You add in every expansion and with every patch so many gamechangings and new stuff, but since the last 1,5 years I got the feeling that you just almost don't add any new historcial events beside the "expansion" events. It wouldn't be hard to just add some new country/culture/region based events once in a while with a normal patch? right now EU IV is complex enough I guess. And I'm not sure, if EU IV will lose some of his charme for new players while its getting more complex every patch. Some new events would be also nice for people, who just want to play the basic game later on, without getting into a DLC game more and more complex.
I hope you get my point,
I would love to see more historical country based events added again in the patches like they got added before

Thank you.

Reactions:
Hi all!

In this Dev Diary I'll present the EU4-team as it looks currently.

The Team
  • Johan, still game director, creating the high-level design for the expansions.

• Anona, I’m the new project lead, making sure planning and priorities are made, as well as keeping deadline and being on budget. Been with Paradox for 2,5 years and hope you look forward to the upcoming expansions!

• Gnivom, I’m a new recruit to Paradox who loves EU4. I am a junior programmer who just graduated from High School.

• Chaingun. Programmer on EU4. Conveniently, I used to play EU2 in my early teenage years.

• Trin Tragula, Content Designer. I used to be a modder for PDS games and later became a research alpha/beta for EU4 (mainly doing both pre-AoW and post-AoW India). I joined the EU4 team during the development of Art Of War and my work includes creating and researching most events, missions, decisions, etc in the game as well as any changes to the map.

• LittleFido, embedded QA for EU4, I've been at Paradox for almost two years now and been attached to EU for over a year of that time. I love seeing the project grow and trying to find, reproduce and help solve bugs we encounter. Seeing a new patch or DLC release is at the same time the most exciting and stressful time for me! I hope you all enjoy the game as much as I do!

• I’m DDRJake, QA turned Junior Designer for EU4. I’ve been part of the Paradox family for over a year now after years of sacrificing sleep and other necessities to stare at maps. Continuing to play the game to ensure it is enjoyable and interesting is an important role of mine, as well as writing and refining future designs for EU4. You’ll catch me lurking in the suggestions forum and the bug reports section, taking in community feedback on improving Europa.

• r_lazer, lead programmer on the EU4 team. Started on the EU4 team around 1.5 years ago and have enjoyed working on every DLC since then. El Dorado was a favourite where I got to implement the Nation Designer.

• StarNaN, Embedded QA for EU4. Started working at Paradox last year in December. I’ve been playing Europa Universalis since early EU3 and loved Svea Rike 1 and 2 as a child, therefore I want EU4 to be as good as it can be. My part in doing this is the same as LittleFido, I try to find, reproduce and help solve bugs.

• The Real Timor, I’m the rather odd artist who makes things look nice and neat. Or at least as neat as they can be in a screen with 50+ icons, numerous stats, and tooltips to blot out the sun. Aaah, the beauty of EU4. And let’s not forget the cute Big Blue Blob achievement.

We’re currently working on the upcoming 1.17 patch which we we’ll release when it’s ready. The patch will contain bugfixes and crash fixes for Mare Nostrum such as:

• Disbanding ships in port will return Sailors to the Sailor Pool

• Fix for the 0Kb savegame crash

• Republican Sufferance impacts sailor gain

• Performance optimization

• Fixed Central African Lakes

• Refining Naval Missions

• OOS fix

• Tightened up AI budgeting to help prevent debt spirals.

Ideas for Dev Diaries
If you have ideas for upcoming dev diaries, feel free to write them below.

/The EU4-Team
can you fix the guarantee bug? it still hasnt stopped.

Why don't you tell us, how you plan to fix the multiplayer crashes? I've heard people who would pay more for stable multiplayer games than for couple more DLCs. I have payed a lot for this game (and also others) that still isn't ready. To buy a new version of an old classic paradox game gives you a specific feeling - from the first minute you play it -, that this isn't rdy yet, you have to wait and pay for many more expansions that (just as a big hope) completes the game. I tell you one more thing: It was a very big mistake to buy CK2 (and others) and I am not willing to pay more and more for more content, that doesnt make it a complete game. I am sure, that I won't buy Hearts of Iron 4 and almost sure not to buy mare nostrum. I gave a lot money to your company, but as more I pay, the more bullshit you create. I play paradox games almost half of my life, but every new version of a game makes it worse instead of better.

I know that games became worse during the last 20 years instead of getting better because of better technologies. I wasted thousends of Euro in general, to realize that still some of the best games in this genre were created end of last millenium or beginning of the new one. Since the graphics rushed, the game depths and fun got lost. Maybe Paradox isn't interested in those who made them big, because they are more interested in the new generation, because the pay for trash, just because they don't know that it could be better.

Last edited:
@Anona

do you guys think you could do some rework with some of the trade nodes in the game so there is more control over trade for some of the smaller nations and poorer trade related those nations? I have said it in this post I had created.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/rework-trade-around-world.923775/

I would just like it so that the game could be more versatile with the trade going downstream and yet make some of the one way in and out nodes have more trade to go into and yet still end up going to Europe. Countries in those areas would be able to conquer easier and not have to change main trade node as much. Some I mention in there is with northern Africa and other parts the the Mediterranean. Also with the Ethiopia node, Siam, and the Philippine to Nippon. If you want more of a description go to the link and if there are some other trade nodes that might need a little buff, or debuff, mention it there (or create a new discussion [I do not care]). :)

Gnivom, I’m a new recruit to Paradox who loves EU4. I am a junior programmer who just graduated from High School.

Chaingun. Programmer on EU4. Conveniently, I used to play EU2 in my early teenage years.

Trin Tragula, Content Designer. I used to be a modder for PDS games and later became a research alpha/beta for EU4 (mainly doing both pre-AoW and post-AoW India). I joined the EU4 team during the development of Art Of War and my work includes creating and researching most events, missions, decisions, etc in the game as well as any changes to the map.
LittleFido, embedded QA for EU4, I've been at Paradox for almost two years now and been attached to EU for over a year of that time. I love seeing the project grow and trying to find, reproduce and help solve bugs we encounter. Seeing a new patch or DLC release is at the same time the most exciting and stressful time for me! I hope you all enjoy the game as much as I do!
I’m DDRJake, QA turned Junior Designer for EU4. I’ve been part of the Paradox family for over a year now after years of sacrificing sleep and other necessities to stare at maps. Continuing to play the game to ensure it is enjoyable and interesting is an important role of mine, as well as writing and refining future designs for EU4. You’ll catch me lurking in the suggestions forum and the bug reports section, taking in community feedback on improving Europa.
The first time I read this, I thought Anona happens to be the same people as Gnivom, Chaingun, Trin Gragula, LittleFido and DDRJake, due to this usage of "I" in every paragraph :D

The first time I read this, I thought Anona happens to be the same people as Gnivom, Chaingun, Trin Gragula, LittleFido and DDRJake, due to this usage of "I" in every paragraph :D
29329042.jpg