• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 19th of June 2018

Today's Dev Diary comes not from me, but from the auditor of audio: @Audiomancer

Note that while we're talking about "Audio in Dharma", the audio changes are part of the free 1.26 Mughals update

EU4 Dev Diary : Audio in Dharma Expansion

Hello! My name is Franco Freda and I’m a Sound Designer here at Paradox. Today we’re gonna talk about Dharma! EU4’s next expansion and one that I’m personally happy for.

With Dharma we decided to enhance the audio experience a little bit further. In a nutshell, the goal with the Audio in Dharma was to modernize its systems within the constraints of long life-cycle development such as the one from Europa Universalis. Same way that when you first tried EU4 you might have played it on a screen with a 4:3 aspect ratio and now you could be playing it on an ultra-wide display, the audio systems have come a long way in the last few years and therefore we realized some of the sounds could benefit from a wider dynamic range and also reproduce more complex layers.

Of course it’s not only about quality, but also about how can we give you better feedback on what’s going on in the game. Therefore if you listen carefully you will perceive that the audio is also more interactive and more balanced.

The overall loudness of the game has been raised to match industry standards of around -23 LUFS. This in short means, the game is louder and more comparable in volume to other existing titles that you might play regularly. Audio rebalancing, meaning, the mix of all audio elements (i.e. music, sound effects, ui) has been revisited to provide a more pleasant and consistent experience. You as a player still have the ability to alter the volumes of certain audio groups in the Audio tab inside Game Options of course, but predefined values have been established to ensure the initial default mix sounds as we planned it.

All music tracks across all DLC’s have been matched to the same volume to ensure there are no big leaps or drops in volume when randomizing across different songs or choosing your own favourites from the music player.

In terms of interactivity there has been one particular aspect that we know many of you have asked for in the past. And that is: Dynamic sound elements depending on technology and units.

This means that if you’re engaging in land combat and you happen to have artillery, you will hear cannons and mortars now and then, so that means that it will not only have an impact on the battle outcome but also a more coherent audio representation of the battle site. On the other hand, if you’re just starting and have not researched gunpowder weapons you will only hear swords and spears.

Same thing happens with Naval Combat. If a transport ship engages into battle, it will not be as equipped as a heavy ship with 50 cannons. Therefore in the first scenario, you will only probably hear swivel guns and muskets.

Lastly for combat, there’s also been upgrades to Siege. Sortie, Barrage and Wall Breach have their own representative sounds to feed your imagination on what your actions might have caused on the enemy stronghold.

Finally the last area we thought that would be nice to work on is Ambiences. Terrain differences have a big impact on the outcome of your combat, giving modifiers to certain units over others and so on. Now, whether you are in the desert or jungle, mountains or coast, the background sound will also change to represent these opportunities and threats.

All of the many elements mentioned above are integrated and triggered using a layered approach, to increase randomness and to ensure a more dynamic audio flow.

Most of these updates will be coming to you as a free update when Dharma launches, so that all of you have the chance to try them out!

This is all from me this time so I hope you enjoy these new additions as much as I’ve enjoyed working on them! Looking forward to your feedback!

############################

While I would have liked to elegantly embed audio into this dev diary, I cannot do so with WAVs, so a handful of audio samples are attached to this thread for your listening pleasure.

Attachments

• Siege Barrage.wav
    675,6 KB · Views: 5.184
  • Combat Tier 3, Artillery, Seaside.wav
    2,4 MB · Views: 4.580
  • Naval Combat Tier 1.wav
    2,4 MB · Views: 3.932
  • Combat Tier 1, Elephants, Horses, Jungle.wav
    2,4 MB · Views: 4.241
  • Naval Combat Tier 2.wav
    2,7 MB · Views: 3.415
  • Siege Wall Breach.wav
    1,2 MB · Views: 4.096
Last edited:
We’re getting an elephant’s battle-toot. That was literally the only sound I ever truly wanted from Dharma
Oh and the other stuff sounds great too!
:D

Waiting patiently for the reveal and explanation of the [HIDDEN] government reforms from months ago.....
+1 free [HIDDENS] is a free policy without upkeep.

Nice, thanks for your clear answer!

Looking forward to hear these in the games!

BTW: no elephant sounds for owners of the Dharma DLC while they see elephants engaged in combat? :-o
But what's... what's the point of having elephants if you can't hear them?

Serious question now: the special, asian-style music that was playing during the "streaming will start shortly" announcement in the Dev Clash, back in the days of when the Mandate of Heaven DLC was about to be released, was particularly great. But I haven't heard it in the game since then, even though I own all the DLCs and I played asian nations a couple of times. But I noticed the music that was playing during the Rule Britannia dev clash (with hornpipes) was included in the DLC, and hopefully the new indian-style music for the upcoming Dharma too (the one we hear before the dev clash streaming)
So, is it possible that you add the special music from Mandate of Heaven within the game? It would be so appreciated! Thanks!

EDIT: new question: will there be special sound effects when there's a civil war in a country? like battles everywhere, people yelling on the streets, overall destruction, etc...

Last edited:
This is all awesome. Pretty great immersion changes here.

Out of curiosity will some of these sounds be global or remain silent until selected as is the case now?

Also just a recommendation, having audio feedback when a fort is captured or when a unit is attacked and the camera is not focused on it (e.g during world colonial wars) would be great. Warcraft 3 did this with announcer mentioning the town or units were under attack.

Nice, more variety is always welcome, maybe its my hearing but I would prefer a louder elephant. I'm glad you gave barrage a sound, a silent barrage felt rather strange. If you're adding more unique sounds I have a few suggestions:
The El Dorado religions are still silent, native reform tabs, the new missions tab, the great powers need something more epic and the change of ages needs more fanfare.

Might have missed it, but will audio be 'mixed' if the two combatants have differing tech levels? i.e., early tech country with just melee weapons vs one that is a few tech levels ahead that has firearms?

Agree strongly with a previous poster, different music by century/era would enhance the immersion of the game by a large magnitude. Something I've always hoped for. The dynamic audio is a step in the right direction.

Will the music player play themed music again for the nation you are playing? I remember that this was changed a while ago but never fixed.

@Audiomancer how moddable is this and would it affect checksum?
For example, if I wanted “British Grenadier’s” to play for a British cultured nation’s infantry during the 1700s, could I do that without breaking Ironman?

I really like the sounds you demonstrated. But there's something that bugs me: When Gods fight, mortals hide. Animals don't stay near a battlefield or bring attention to themselves if they can't safely move. The animal sounds would logically not last long and would sound panicked really quickly. I like the sense of setting, but seagulls are going to be scarce in a battle.

There's one thing though, since advanced tiers might also come with bigger naval formations, and they might be scattered around a large area of water, if you listen really closely there might still be some lively disconnection between formations, since at different distances they might have different orders to follow.

Bare in mind that these samples posted here don't represent the final product as they are only snippets of much larger files. Also these are only representing one variation of the assets, where in the game you will find multiple variations of them, to increase randomization and dynamic of the sound elements.

Sensational attention to detail :D. Thanks for the responses, can't wait to hear it in action :cool:

It's purely audio.
Would be cool to see if units did some impact on diffrent terrains, like cavalry is gut on grasslands/farmlands/deserts/savahna, but have some penalties in mountains/jungles/forest/woods/marsches, artillery is gut everywhere except jungle/marsches/forests/woods. Infantry have no bonus or penalty. Something like that.. Then warfare become really important part of game, not just stack more morale, discipline, to win this game. Me, and i think many people want to sit and plan their war, think where better to fight, how much of what units them need, where these units them need, etc.. Also maybe province with fort should give some bonus to terrain for defenders.
Dad, please ... :(

Last edited:
This is all awesome. Pretty great immersion changes here.

Out of curiosity will some of these sounds be global or remain silent until selected as is the case now?

Also just a recommendation, having audio feedback when a fort is captured or when a unit is attacked and the camera is not focused on it (e.g during world colonial wars) would be great. Warcraft 3 did this with announcer mentioning the town or units were under attack.

Hey @Skullslasher6! Some sounds will be global (i.e. Ambience) others will trigger when selecting units or focusing on combat screens. Regarding the fort captured feedback, that's a great suggestion, and one we have been exploring. We'll see what we can come up with in the future. Thanks for your feedback!

Great DD and all, liking the sounds and that we'll be getting sounds more appropriate to the situation in battles, so good job on that :)
and uhh..
@Audiomancer 's usage of "XD" is.. sort of.. charming? i guess? :D

Hey @Blackhood! I have only one reply to all of this: XD XD XD XD XD Hahahaha <3

Nice, more variety is always welcome, maybe its my hearing but I would prefer a louder elephant. I'm glad you gave barrage a sound, a silent barrage felt rather strange. If you're adding more unique sounds I have a few suggestions:
The El Dorado religions are still silent, native reform tabs, the new missions tab, the great powers need something more epic and the change of ages needs more fanfare.

Hey @Llyw olaf! Thanks for the feedback! Also, there are many more variations of Elephants inside the game, so hopefully you'll find some of them more fierce in-game :)

Might have missed it, but will audio be 'mixed' if the two combatants have differing tech levels? i.e., early tech country with just melee weapons vs one that is a few tech levels ahead that has firearms?

Hey @thebobafettest! To a certain degree yes, as a general rule it will take the higher tier sounds and make those more prominent, but there's definitely some degrees of possibilities on the mix of different tech levels.

If you are making the audio louder then does this mean that the loading screen music will be even more deafening?

=)

Hey @tsk92! the loading screen music volume changes have been fixed :) Also as I mentioned on my previous reply, the game is not louder, rather more coherent in terms of its overall loudness compared to other titles :)

I really like the sounds you demonstrated. But there's something that bugs me: When Gods fight, mortals hide. Animals don't stay near a battlefield or bring attention to themselves if they can't safely move. The animal sounds would logically not last long and would sound panicked really quickly. I like the sense of setting, but seagulls are going to be scarce in a battle.

Hey @khade! That is a very good spotting on your end. I'll personally advise those seagulls to fly away to safety XD