• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 Development Diary - 18th February 2016

Hello and Welcome to another development diary for EU4. This time we take a look at Africa, and the changes there. This one of those times when pictures are worth more than 1000 words.

First of all, we have added the entirety of the Kongo region, reaching up to the Great Lakes area. Not just home to the countries of Kongo, Loango and Ndongo, this area now have multiple nations, and could be the basis of a powerful empire.

EqLfHFP.jpg

While we have added over 20 new nations to Central Africa, we have also added new idea groups and unique ideas for these mighty states, including the Great Lakes ideas for our states near the Lake Victoria. These Central Africans also have their own unique technology group, with technology costing 65% more than Westerners.

North we find the Great Lakes Area, with lots of minor nations, some that still exist today, after a brief period of colonialism.

fGXlnQP.jpg

Southeast of Kongo, is Zambia and Mozambique is now filled with provinces and several new nations as well. Magagascar has also seen a rework, with 5 nations struggling for supremacy of the island, complete with their own national ideas and Pagan/Islamic friction

rRAeHfF.jpg

The tradesetup for Africa have changed as well, Zanzibar is now the coast tradenode, with three inland nodes of Kongo, Great Lakes and Zambezi leading to the coasts either west and east. This makes the Zanzibar node a hugely important tradenode for everyone along the Indian Ocean.

BSQYLUv.jpg

No diary on our Africa changes would be complete without giving some attention to religion in the region. Previously we had carpeted non-specific pagan areas with Shamanism or Animism. Now many of our African provinces which have not converted to Islam are portrayed with the Fetishist Pagan religion which grants greater tolerance to heathens and a diplomatic reputation bonus along with the usual pagan decision.

i47pBld.jpg

Next week, we’ll talk about two different and new concepts, one which has its own icon in the top bar.

Reactions:
@Johan , can you explain please what Fetishist means lol? Cuz to me and seemingly a lot of other people it sounds like something very naughty haha.

It's the attribution of religious or mystical meaning to inanimate objects, known as fetishes. For example carvings, dolls, etc. The Zulu and most tribes in the region were strong believers in this concept.

Reactions:
@Johan , can you explain please what Fetishist means lol? Cuz to me and seemingly a lot of other people it sounds like something very naughty haha.

Its a common name for traditional african religions. Today its a bit dated (and has come to be associated with another discipline a lot more) but it works a lot better than saying "traditional African religions" everywhere in the interface :)

Reactions:
The combo of new Africa and slavery is starting to give me a feeling that we'll see Triangle Trade modeled somewhat in next expansion...

Reactions:
Looking really good :) Still wondering what that money bag might be. Inflation is possible or corruption as others mentioned already. I certainly like the changes anyway^^

Reactions:
I'm impressed this is waaay more than I expected. We got a full rework of the central african area with new tags provinces etc!

Reactions:
I hope it's not too late for this but when you make the Barbary states slave raid the knights of saint john should be able to raid them right back.

Reactions:
Something like "idolist" might be less confusing than "fetishist", but obscure words have never stopped PDX.

Edit: To be clear, I like obscure words!

Last edited:
Reactions:
Its a common name for traditionalist african religions. Today its a bit dated (and has come to be associated with another discipline a lot more) but it works a lot better than saying "traditional African religions" everywhere in the interface :)

I mean, "African Paganism" would work too.

Fetishism just sounds....weird.

Reactions:
As someone said somewhere else. The chinese tech group is 60% increase to tech cost and now the new African group is a 65% increase?
Is this fair towards the chinese? Since they were more technologically advanced then most african nations. more than 5% atleast.

Reactions:
Cheers for the DD Johan :). Sounds like Africa will be much more fleshed out now, and this is a great thing for the game.

That said, +1 to the issues raised by others about Europeans rampaging through the centre of the content a century or two earlier than technology should make it easy for them to do. If there was a mechanic to add depth to where, what and how well provinces could be colonised as well, that would be extra tasty, but not the end of the world if you're reading this thread thinking "they've all been asking for more Africa, and now they've got it they're asking for more something else!" ;).

Next week, we’ll talk about two different and new concepts, one which has its own icon in the top bar.

You're just a big tease :p.

Reactions:
There are a lot of small things that could improve: Inhambane was a well-populated native african nation which at the time of the games start was ruled by the Karanga people. It is right at the end of the Kilwa traders southern journey. It was too dangerous to sail further south along the african coast in dhows. Inhambane is described as a pretty large settlement, with friendly people. That is also why Portugal chose to set up a trading port there.

The traders from Kuba were known at the eastcoast of Africa. As the areas in the Upembe delta are straight up connected to Kongo, It would be nice if the areas were connected by inhabitated areas of lake Victoria and doctor Livingstons ruin areas from the portuguese inland colony from the 1650s.

Of course there are some potential concepts that could improve those slight issues.

Reactions:
I'd like to second this question. As far as I'm aware, until the invention of railroads etc. the African interior was mostly safe from European colonisation. Assuming that's true, are there mechanics that will stop non-Africans from running in and conquering interior Africa willy-nilly with no regard to horrific disease?

The only things that will stop those countrys from being conquered are.

1-> Core cost. But even with the +50% coring cost it would still be cheap and feel too "gamey" no one likes that +50% coring cost.

2-> Force limit. Africa units too weak as they have little force limit and their units are bad as they never can keep up with in tech. Unless one country there become really gigantic 10k western troops at lv6-7 are enough to kill them. If they are very very stubborn 20k troops, and later keep 10k there to deal with rebellions and future wars.

Countrys like castille that have a 40k force limit if they expand well can easily do this. France and england too. Portugual need to give up europans wars for that but still possible.

3-> Atrittion -> Maybe giving africa atrittion levels high as winter atrittion, but instead of winter, the summer being the problem. In many levels a jungle can be as deadly as any artic region. This would at least slow down europeans as they don´t want to burn their manpower there for nothing. (They can go for mercenaries but at least here they will be paying a lot for them).

Reactions: