• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 11th of April 2017

Hello everyone and welcome to another Europa Universalis development diary. Last week we released the 1.20 ‘Ming’ Update and the Mandate of Heaven expansion. It is almost four years since we originally released the game, and it is still growing in popularity!

We just released a hotfix to address some urgent issues, but we’re also working on a new patch called 1.21 ‘Hungary’, which will be released in late April, if all goes well.

In 1.21 we’ve worked a lot on further improving the AI, fixing bugs and balanced the game as we usually do.

You may remember the talks we had in the winter, about how we were not satisfied with Sailors. Now in 1.21, we’re solving this problem, by doing the following things. First of all, ships out on the sea, will drain 2% of their Sailor build cost each month. Now with current values and playstyles, that would not be ideal, as your sailor pool would quickly be drained.

• Each development now provides 30 instead of 25 sailors.
  • Naval Tradition provides 20% faster sailor recovery instead of +10%.
  • Docks and Shipyards (both versions) have swapped placed in the technology tree.
  • Autonomy from Burghers Estate no longer impact sailors from development.
  • Sheltered Ports in Maritime Ideas group reduces Sailor Maintenance by 10%.

We are rather happy with the end result, a better naval game, where all buildings are viable choices, and you need to invest in having the support for a naval force.

We also strengthened the naval ideagroup, by making Naval Cadets also reduce morale damage from sunk ships by 33%, increase Press Gangs from 20 to 25% Sailor Recovery Speed, and changing Superior Seamanship from 15% Naval Morale to 10% Naval Morale and adding +10% Naval Engangement modifier (ie, lets 10% more ships fire each round).

sailors.png

A cool thing we are adding in 1.21, is a new decision to form Yuan!

In 1444, the Ming dynasty is still in its relative infancy, having taken over China from the Yuan Empire in in the late 14th century. The remnants of the Yuan still remain in our start date in the form of the Mongolia tag (something you can already see in the tooltip for previous Emperors in the Empire of China interface).

For patch 1.21 we have expanded a bit on this and added a decision for Altaic countries to restore the Great Yuan Empire and reclaim the heritage of Kublai Khan. It will require you to unite the Eastern Altaic cultures and be the Empire of China (or at least Empire rank if you lack the Mandate of Heaven DLC) and will grant claims and ideas based on the Yuan Dynasty.

yuan.jpg

Speaking of forming nations, any manchu culture nation can form Manchu in 1.21

Next week, Trin Tragula will tell you all why the patch is called Hungary...

Yes I know the ideas might change but judging from the icons we can say currently Yuan will have at least:
  • 25% manpower (Tradition)
  • 20% CCA (Tradition)
  • Core-creation reduction
  • Increased morale
  • Tech cost reduction
  • Increased shock damage (First ever nation EDIT: not)
  • Envoy travel time reduction
  • Increased manpower recovery speed
  • Increased goods produced
  • Unknown Ambition
It looks pretty OP. Not to mention claims that come along with it.

I'm not sure about how the historic Yuan flag looked like but I would imagine it to still be using the Chinese character of Yuan instead of the Mongol like "coat of arms". Chinese nations love to use the name of their country on their flag, and in warring periods clans have their family name on the flag as they have no country name. There are some exceptions though like I think the Emperor in the very early years used a flag with astrological patterns (7 stars) instead of having the country name on the flag but I don't know if it's true for Yuan too.

Last edited:
Does it add a food system to the game?

Hungary? Good, I was earlier today thinking that Hungary is the least interesting of all of the bigger nations in the 1444 start.
I would be nice to see some interesting reasons to play it.

I am Hungary for details on that new patch

Looking forward to the Hungary patch , you might want to make Croatia in personal Union under Hungary.
Make Croatia in Personal Union (Boost Hungary as well) + add better resource for some provinces) , it was never out-right annexed by Hungary. Even had its own Ban (rulers). What good is having the function of personal union when it is not applied in such a case as with Croatia - it clearly was a Personal Union.

Well, some people believe Hungarians can trace their lineage back to the steppes..
Thought that it is pretty well established that the Hungarians are indeed from the steppes east and west of the Ural - as are the Finns - and that the popular misconception is that the Hungarians have anything to do with the Huns...

I don't concern whether the sailor system is lamed or not. The most important problem is the fact that navy doesn't affect much influence to the game as it was at history..

And if you make sailor reduce automatically, then managing navy will be more irritating as we will not be able to send whole pleet to protect trade. Sending 1 galley to each trade node for blocking raid coast, thanks to Mare Nostrum, already makes us irritating and you add more irritating thing to this pitiful navy?

Last edited:
I really don't think Yuan is worth such an extremely strong idea group for its historical expression.
Yuan did extremely bad in taxing and securing national security, politician corruption made Yuan just like having stepped into downhill situation upon the death of Kublai, even its army corrupted at the three times faster than Ming.
If we measure Chinese dynasties by the amount of killing domestic people and by the wealthy level of officers, Yuan can be the WINNER.

Yuan, A dynasty not worthy to criticize.

Hello everyone and welcome to another Europa Universalis development diary. Last week we released the 1.20 ‘Ming’ Update and the Mandate of Heaven expansion. It is almost four years since we originally released the game, and it is still growing in popularity!

We just released a hotfix to address some urgent issues, but we’re also working on a new patch called 1.21 ‘Hungary’, which will be released in late April, if all goes well.

In 1.21 we’ve worked a lot on further improving the AI, fixing bugs and balanced the game as we usually do.

You may remember the talks we had in the winter, about how we were not satisfied with Sailors. Now in 1.21, we’re solving this problem, by doing the following things. First of all, ships out on the sea, will drain 2% of their Sailor build cost each month. Now with current values and playstyles, that would not be ideal, as your sailor pool would quickly be drained.

• Each development now provides 30 instead of 25 sailors.
  • Naval Tradition provides 20% faster sailor recovery instead of +10%.
  • Docks and Shipyards (both versions) have swapped placed in the technology tree.
  • Autonomy from Burghers Estate no longer impact sailors from development.
  • Sheltered Ports in Maritime Ideas group reduces Sailor Maintenance by 10%.

We are rather happy with the end result, a better naval game, where all buildings are viable choices, and you need to invest in having the support for a naval force.

We also strengthened the naval ideagroup, by making Naval Cadets also reduce morale damage from sunk ships by 33%, increase Press Gangs from 20 to 25% Sailor Recovery Speed, and changing Superior Seamanship from 15% Naval Morale to 10% Naval Morale and adding +10% Naval Engangement modifier (ie, lets 10% more ships fire each round).

View attachment 255544

A cool thing we are adding in 1.21, is a new decision to form Yuan!

In 1444, the Ming dynasty is still in its relative infancy, having taken over China from the Yuan Empire in in the late 14th century. The remnants of the Yuan still remain in our start date in the form of the Mongolia tag (something you can already see in the tooltip for previous Emperors in the Empire of China interface.

For patch 1.21 we have expanded a bit on this and added a decision for Altaic countries to restore the Great Yuan Empire and reclaim the heritage of Kublai Khan. It will require you to unite the Eastern Altaic cultures and be the Empire of China (or at least Empire rank if you lack the Mandate of Heaven DLC) and will grant claims and ideas based on the Yuan Dynasty.

View attachment 255545

Interesting solution to the sailor issue but not particularly good one, you still have coastal provinces with no real ports giving sailors. Like the french ones along the gulf of leon (in reality you have to get to Provence at cote d'azur to find a good french Mediterranean port). Or a ton of British provinces adding both sailors and naval capacity that makes them dominate the sea game centuries earlier than they really did.
Also the naval aspect of the game is still in many ways possible to ignore. I would again suggest adding supply lines to the game.

The china stuff looks awesome though.

Next week, Trin Tragula will tell you all why the patch is called Hungary..
New vanilla Eastern European sprites? ;)

Funny that you should mention any Manchu culture forming Manchu and Mongolia -> Yuan in the same DD, in our MP game my friend just culture swapped to Manchu as Mongolia and was bummed to see he couldn't form Manchu. Looking forward to both those changes

Great, great news! Love the changes and the fact that the area around Hungary will be the focus of the next update. As a Balkan native, i do think Hungary and the Balkan minors need some tweaking.

Never played Hungary, I guess now is the time. Let's go for 'Take that von Habsburgs'.

A new formable country is great. So the central asian hordes can now aim to form either the Golden Horde or The Yuan Dinasty... I love formable countries. Although they may change until realese, that 4th idea of the Great Yuan... is new, isnt it? Shock damage delivered or something like that?

I feel like this will make naval micro a lot more tedious if there aren't the right message/ alert settings

Does this means Custom Nations will now be able to form Manchu (and therefore Qing)? It was a pretty big disappointedment when I tried it ;_;

Also, finally a Hungary province review. Whenever hungary gets invaded, the worst of border gore happens.