• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dev Diary #144 - Legends and Lesions

Hello everybody! Welcome to this Developer Diary explaining the creative vision behind Crusader Kings III’s first Core Expansion: Legends of the Dead, courtesy of one of our talented game designers (and resident historian on medieval plagues!)

In the year of the lord 1346 the Crimean port of Caffa was being besieged by the Golden Horde. The contemporary Italian notary de Mussis writes down that diseased corpses were thrown over its walls and thus, the Black Plague entered Europe. That same year, Edward III of England defeated the forces of king Philip VI of France in Crecy. Two years later, Edward would try to create the Order of the Round Table, inspired by the heroic deeds of King Arthur, and later transformed into the Order of the Garter.

As our Game Director already mentioned in last week's Chapter III overview, we're exploring a new type of expansion focusing on systems that affect the whole map, rather than just adding flavor to a specific region. We didn’t have a name for it at the beginning, but we knew we wanted to do something bigger with the time we had, while planning the next Major Expansion.

We've been wanting to cover Plagues since approximately the 12th of January 2021. We still have the early designs stored somewhere, but we put that aside for a while in order to develop the huge endeavor that was Tours & Tournaments. However, the team stayed highly passionate about plagues throughout the entire time (as many of us have fond memories of The Reaper's Due), and we knew it was something that we wanted to tackle again.

Soon after the release of Tours & Tournaments it became apparent that it was the moment to pick up plagues again, but that presented its own challenges, among them a very important one - how to make this distinct from its Crusader Kings II version?

We were also very aware of the circumstances of the world, so we decided it was important to have some hope spreading across the map as well.

image-01.png

When researching the way medieval people saw plagues, we noticed that on many occasions they moved towards blaming the monarchs; If they're a representative of divine power on earth, and God is punishing us, then it must be because the representative is doing a bad job, right? That made us think of the impact that would have on a ruler's Legitimacy... and then we started thinking about Legitimacy itself.

Sure, we already had Prestige in the game, but that felt like a representation of what you've done and how you present yourself, rather than "are you fit to rule?", "do people believe in you?", "are you really the right person for this?" Legitimacy was born as a way to represent these questions within the game, which raised the question: how do you prove your rule is legitimate?

Soon, we thought of the medieval royal genealogies, tracing back the lineages to Trojan heroes, Charlemagne, mythological kings and even gods. Proving that you're the descendant of Aeneas is the easiest way to say, "I am the right person to rule."

"To be noble," the medieval historian George Duby notes, "is to be able to refer to a genealogy."

This, obviously, led us to Legends, and legends certainly did spread during the Middle Ages. King Arthur and his knights became so popular that they soon received translations and new material in French, German, Spanish and Italian. Legends got out of control, changed and expanded through the centuries, creating new stories that had little to do with their original purpose.

In Legends of the Dead, we unite the brightest and darkest moments of humanity - tales of greatness illuminating a devastated land. Desolation and despair, but also the hope that comes after.

Plagues will ravage your realm, causing development to plummet, and kill characters indiscriminately, for Death knows no master. In addition to our existing diseases, you'll be able to suffer from Holy Fire, Bloody Flux, and Measles. Holy Fire was the medieval name for ergotism, while outbreaks of dysentery (frequently occurring in the wake of passing armies) were known as Bloody Flux. Measles in particular is a danger to infants, and could be a dynasty killer if players aren't careful.

We’ll cover these in more detail when we talk about Plagues in a later Dev Diary, however.

image-02.png

image-03.png

[Image: A Consumption outbreak follows the coast of the English Channel]

image-04.png

[Image: New (and full body!) graphics for measles]

Legends will allow you to write down the heroic deeds of your ancestors or sing about your own glory. Cover the map in the stories that you create, gaining powerful control and skill boosts, among other effects.

It’s not just the likes of Hercules who get their own legends, however; being a faithful devotee can also spawn legendary tales of martyrdom and sacrifice. And, of course, you'll be able to trace your Legend back to the most legitimate monarchs of the past. Spreading a Legend (and increasing its quality) will give you unique rewards, such as special Decisions or new Buildings. In such a highly systemic expansion with both Plagues and Legitimacy, Legends also allow for some nice historical flavor and roleplay elements.

image-05.png

[Image: The Custody of the Holy Site legend spreads over Galicia]

image-06.png

[Image: A Legendary Statue built to commemorate a hero's legend]

image-07.png

[Image: A legend turned into an artifact]

We will touch more on Legends and Legitimacy and how they work in-game next week, in addition to a deep dive into the heroic (and sometimes grimy) art created for this expansion! And worry not, Plagues - the most famous of them all in particular - will receive some more attention soon after.

• 138Like
  • 45Love
Reactions:
Really looking forward to having plagues back in CK :cool:

But and this is a big
BUT
gaining powerful control and skill boosts, among other effects
We don't need any more buffs, the game is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to easy already, what we need is
NERFS
plenty of nerfs, modders, myself included, are adding nerfs to the game just to keep it interesting and playable beyond the first couple of years, otherwise vanilla is a walk in the park on a sunny day with rainbows and unicorns.

• 15Like
  • 2Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Well since it's two things and we have two weeks left after this dev diary, im expecting the next two dd to be beefy

They will be.

I wanted to break them up into smaller DDs but that's not really feasible with the release date as close as it is. Guess people will just have to settle for massive DDs covering multiple topics at once.

Is it reasonable to assume that this update will break save games?

Yes. There's a lot of under the hood changes coming with LotD.

• 13Like
Reactions:
Legitimacy should be connected to titles. Lets say I'm king of Poland and Hungary. It will be cool if I will be able to be legitimate ruler in Hungary but not in Poland. This has historical justification.

• 11Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I like the dynamically named disease in the screenshot. Also hope diseases like dysentery will actually spawn in war-torn regions. Both for realism/less randomness as well as giving peaceful realms a relative benefit.

• 28Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Ah man, since the release is in less than a month, I had hoped for something beefier, for example a detailed account of how legitimacy works ... Don't get me wrong, this was entertaining, but besides the already known we did not learn much more.
Well, I guess we'll have to wait till next week.

• 8Like
Reactions:
Finally a full body transformation, it always bothered me that diseases just abruptly stop at the neck seam

EDIT: I would love to see more map buildings for universities and holy sites

• 6Like
Reactions:
Really looking forward to having plagues back in CK :cool:

But and this is a big
BUT

We don't need any more buffs, the game is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to easy already, what we need is
NERFS
plenty of nerfs, modders, myself included, are adding nerfs to the game just to keep it interesting and playable beyond the first couple of years, otherwise vanilla is a walk in the park on a sunny day with rainbows and unicorns.
You beat me to it. Piety, prestige, fame and devotion have been made pointless because of runaway modifiers. No matter my ruler's personality, if he lives a full life, he will have max devotion and fame and will be swimming in piety and prestige.

I personally blame artifacts as the worst offenders. Followed closely by how easily characters accrue traits.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Kinda empty DD, but I guess we need to start from somewhere. I like the idea of naming diseases after monarchs - that is clever.

Hopefully the next week DD about Legitimacy will dispel any doubts and concerns that have raised over the week...

• 6Like
Reactions:
Louder.

I have no idea what play style, mods, or game rules a lot of commenters here are using that they have such an incredibly easy time...

But when I play it's a constant struggle. My heir always seems to be the worst kid I have with trash stats and traits, I'm always running out of money, my neighbors are forever trying to take my stuff, and my family is constantly backstabbing each other or trying to kill me. Once the Pope declared a Great Holy War against me within the first 10 years of me just starting a game.

But I play on ultra hard mode because I play as a pagan Sicilian woman trying to reclaim Sicily, so... It's BRUTAL, but fun for me.

Maybe these other people need to try a different play style if they find things soooo easy... Because it sounds like they pick easy playthroughs by choice to me.
I love this game and I appreciate the devs working on this title, but it still has some edges and one of them is how effortless it can feel to play if you're not an absolute beginner.

I don't see why we would have to play ahistorically to create difficult scenarios. If I want a historical start and "play tall" in say Bohemia, I should still face challenges that the duchy would historically face like dynamic political dilemmas. Being a ruler in the past was not a breeze.

Why does winning one tournament net us equipment to almost guarantee victory in future tournaments for both my character and my bookish descendants? Something must be made to limit the way artefacts give us bonuses regardless of the characteristics of the characters we play.

Why does it not take more than like two pilgrimages to be the next saint? Like why don't I have to live a pious life to generate piety? My devilish impaler has more piety than any other man in the near vicinity.

Why is it enough to attend hunts and feasts to generate enough prestige to be famous and respected globally? I feel like it's just too easy to get these resources regardless of what I do. It's like I'm failing upwards.

Being a King with Royal Court is easy mode if anything because of how relatively cheap grandeur is to gain. It's almost trivial to get it as a smaller kingdom.

Dynasty perks mean that all my descendants benefit from my accomplishments regardless of who they are. Which is like foolproof.

Late game everyone is... perfect. Everyone marries everyone regardless of inheritance outlook. Getting allies to fight battles for you miles away from their holdings is almost guaranteed. No one challenges my rule when my army is away. My unlanded courtiers always support me unless they're involved in an assassination plot. History is drama, but the drama rarely happens at home as much as it appears to have done historically. I think that's a shame.

Do we really disagree that a game that doesn't challenge your rule in even an immersive way is kinda dull after a while?

Reactions:
One question, could we get an update to the Court Positions interface? I really hate having to always scroll up every time I pick a new character.

• 17Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Maybe also some gold producing buildings relying on the number and wellbeing of peasants that live there, making freshly conquered counties/disease ridden countries very ineffective at anything...

Oh my god, I accidentaly Victoria'd another game.
Putting jokes aside - it is a shame how everything feels static in this game. The only thing that changes your resources (gold/manpower etc) seems to be control and it is almost always full anyway.

It's weird that stuff like Winters, recent wars, bad/good harvests, rising levies does not impact your economy at all.

• 7Like
Reactions:
while outbreaks of dysentery (frequently occurring in the wake of passing armies) were known as Bloody Flux.
I really hope this means we will be able to provide/ask/deny military access to our lands and even get a CB to attack someone moving their military over our border
Otherwise we can just use foreign lands to move our troops and have them suffer the passing army penalties

• 24Like
Reactions: