• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dev Diary #144 - Legends and Lesions

Hello everybody! Welcome to this Developer Diary explaining the creative vision behind Crusader Kings III’s first Core Expansion: Legends of the Dead, courtesy of one of our talented game designers (and resident historian on medieval plagues!)

In the year of the lord 1346 the Crimean port of Caffa was being besieged by the Golden Horde. The contemporary Italian notary de Mussis writes down that diseased corpses were thrown over its walls and thus, the Black Plague entered Europe. That same year, Edward III of England defeated the forces of king Philip VI of France in Crecy. Two years later, Edward would try to create the Order of the Round Table, inspired by the heroic deeds of King Arthur, and later transformed into the Order of the Garter.

As our Game Director already mentioned in last week's Chapter III overview, we're exploring a new type of expansion focusing on systems that affect the whole map, rather than just adding flavor to a specific region. We didn’t have a name for it at the beginning, but we knew we wanted to do something bigger with the time we had, while planning the next Major Expansion.

We've been wanting to cover Plagues since approximately the 12th of January 2021. We still have the early designs stored somewhere, but we put that aside for a while in order to develop the huge endeavor that was Tours & Tournaments. However, the team stayed highly passionate about plagues throughout the entire time (as many of us have fond memories of The Reaper's Due), and we knew it was something that we wanted to tackle again.

Soon after the release of Tours & Tournaments it became apparent that it was the moment to pick up plagues again, but that presented its own challenges, among them a very important one - how to make this distinct from its Crusader Kings II version?

We were also very aware of the circumstances of the world, so we decided it was important to have some hope spreading across the map as well.

image-01.png

When researching the way medieval people saw plagues, we noticed that on many occasions they moved towards blaming the monarchs; If they're a representative of divine power on earth, and God is punishing us, then it must be because the representative is doing a bad job, right? That made us think of the impact that would have on a ruler's Legitimacy... and then we started thinking about Legitimacy itself.

Sure, we already had Prestige in the game, but that felt like a representation of what you've done and how you present yourself, rather than "are you fit to rule?", "do people believe in you?", "are you really the right person for this?" Legitimacy was born as a way to represent these questions within the game, which raised the question: how do you prove your rule is legitimate?

Soon, we thought of the medieval royal genealogies, tracing back the lineages to Trojan heroes, Charlemagne, mythological kings and even gods. Proving that you're the descendant of Aeneas is the easiest way to say, "I am the right person to rule."

"To be noble," the medieval historian George Duby notes, "is to be able to refer to a genealogy."

This, obviously, led us to Legends, and legends certainly did spread during the Middle Ages. King Arthur and his knights became so popular that they soon received translations and new material in French, German, Spanish and Italian. Legends got out of control, changed and expanded through the centuries, creating new stories that had little to do with their original purpose.

In Legends of the Dead, we unite the brightest and darkest moments of humanity - tales of greatness illuminating a devastated land. Desolation and despair, but also the hope that comes after.

Plagues will ravage your realm, causing development to plummet, and kill characters indiscriminately, for Death knows no master. In addition to our existing diseases, you'll be able to suffer from Holy Fire, Bloody Flux, and Measles. Holy Fire was the medieval name for ergotism, while outbreaks of dysentery (frequently occurring in the wake of passing armies) were known as Bloody Flux. Measles in particular is a danger to infants, and could be a dynasty killer if players aren't careful.

We’ll cover these in more detail when we talk about Plagues in a later Dev Diary, however.

image-02.png

image-03.png

[Image: A Consumption outbreak follows the coast of the English Channel]

image-04.png

[Image: New (and full body!) graphics for measles]

Legends will allow you to write down the heroic deeds of your ancestors or sing about your own glory. Cover the map in the stories that you create, gaining powerful control and skill boosts, among other effects.

It’s not just the likes of Hercules who get their own legends, however; being a faithful devotee can also spawn legendary tales of martyrdom and sacrifice. And, of course, you'll be able to trace your Legend back to the most legitimate monarchs of the past. Spreading a Legend (and increasing its quality) will give you unique rewards, such as special Decisions or new Buildings. In such a highly systemic expansion with both Plagues and Legitimacy, Legends also allow for some nice historical flavor and roleplay elements.

image-05.png

[Image: The Custody of the Holy Site legend spreads over Galicia]

image-06.png

[Image: A Legendary Statue built to commemorate a hero's legend]

image-07.png

[Image: A legend turned into an artifact]

We will touch more on Legends and Legitimacy and how they work in-game next week, in addition to a deep dive into the heroic (and sometimes grimy) art created for this expansion! And worry not, Plagues - the most famous of them all in particular - will receive some more attention soon after.

• 138Like
  • 45Love
Reactions:
Finally a full body transformation, it always bothered me that diseases just abruptly stop at the neck seam

EDIT: I would love to see more map buildings for universities and holy sites

• 6Like
Reactions:
Two years later, Edward would try to create the Order of the Round Table, inspired by the heroic deeds of King Arthur, and later transformed into the Order of the Garter.
I’d like to see this being a thing in CK sometime in the future. A possible feature for a flavour pack in western europe.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
I like the dynamically named disease in the screenshot. Also hope diseases like dysentery will actually spawn in war-torn regions. Both for realism/less randomness as well as giving peaceful realms a relative benefit.

• 28Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Very well. I am looking forward to the Legend System. I see it as extremely useful as it could also work for saints, relics and other stuff.

I hope the Core pack turns out great.

Also a fullbody system could be important for a Future update on injuries and ailments. The eyepatch shouldn't wander around and same goes for the lost limb. As well as the Mangled Trait. Hopefully we can get a proper Injury-system soon. Even If it is a minor thing.

• 5Like
Reactions:
I had hoped for a bit more details this week already, but if you're not ready, then that's fine. Two questions though:
  1. Did you cooperate with the Plague Inc. team?
  2. Why not? :p

• 18Haha
Reactions:
Kinda empty DD, but I guess we need to start from somewhere. I like the idea of naming diseases after monarchs - that is clever.

Hopefully the next week DD about Legitimacy will dispel any doubts and concerns that have raised over the week...

• 6Like
Reactions:
One question, could we get an update to the Court Positions interface? I really hate having to always scroll up every time I pick a new character.

• 17Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I like the dynamically named disease in the screenshot. Also hope diseases like dysentery will actually spawn in war-torn regions. Both for realism/less randomness as well as giving peaceful realms a relative benefit.
Maybe also some gold producing buildings relying on the number and wellbeing of peasants that live there, making freshly conquered counties/disease ridden countries very ineffective at anything...

Oh my god, I accidentaly Victoria'd another game.

• 8Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Ah man, since the release is in less than a month, I had hoped for something beefier, for example a detailed account of how legitimacy works ... Don't get me wrong, this was entertaining, but besides the already known we did not learn much more.
Well, I guess we'll have to wait till next week.

• 8Like
Reactions:
Really looking forward to having plagues back in CK :cool:

But and this is a big
BUT
gaining powerful control and skill boosts, among other effects
We don't need any more buffs, the game is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to easy already, what we need is
NERFS
plenty of nerfs, modders, myself included, are adding nerfs to the game just to keep it interesting and playable beyond the first couple of years, otherwise vanilla is a walk in the park on a sunny day with rainbows and unicorns.

• 15Like
  • 2Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Soon, we thought of the medieval royal genealogies, tracing back the lineages to Trojan heroes, Charlemagne, mythological kings and even gods. Proving that you're the descendant of Aeneas is the easiest way to say, "I am the right person to rule."

"To be noble," the medieval historian George Duby notes, "is to be able to refer to a genealogy."
This seems like a different take on bloodlines. Naturally, I have a question here. Like with tracing your bloodline to some mythical ancestor, can you actually marry into a legend? If you marry say someone who has the ancestry legend of being a descendant of Aeneas, does your child enter that legend and benefit from it?

• 14Like
Reactions:
Ah man, since the release is in less than a month, I had hoped for something beefier, for example a detailed account of how legitimacy works ... Don't get me wrong, this was entertaining, but besides the already known we did not learn much more.
Well, I guess we'll have to wait till next week.
Well since it's two things and we have two weeks left after this dev diary, im expecting the next two dd to be beefy

• 6Like
Reactions:
I'm looking forward to next week DD.

• 6Like
Reactions: