• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone and welcome to the second dev diary for Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne!

I'm Tobias Bodlund, Scripter on the CK2 team. Today we'll discuss two new game features that we are really excited about. One has to do with titles and the other has to do with stories. Oh, and we've also changed something that has to do with murders.

In Crusader Kings 2: Charlemagne, rulers will no longer be restricted to the predefined de jure kingdoms and empires on the map when they wish to take a step up in rank. Any duke that has a large enough realm and enough prestige can now declare himself a king. The new kingdom will initially have no de jure lands, but it will gain them with time (if it survives). In the same way, a powerful king can declare a new empire. The new title will inherit its name and coat of arms from the primary duchy or kingdom title that the ruler had before.

ck2_18.png

This new feature should open up new ways for players to shape the world, and you'll see new titles arising according to the unique sequence of events that unfolds in your specific campaign.

Along with this comes new support for modders to dynamically change the coat of arms for any title through events or decisions or via the history files.

Another new feature is something we've wanted to add to Crusader Kings II for a long time. As you play through a long campaign, you are effectively creating the epic story of your dynasty, and we've always felt that it would be nice to create some kind of record of this, something that enables you to look back on your history and that you can also keep as a record after the game. This is why we've now added the Dynasty Chronicle.

ck2_10.png

The Chronicle will register any important events that happen to the characters you play, such as births, marriages, wars, deaths, important decisions etc. It will also mention major world events such as the arrival of the Mongols, the Crusades and the start of the Viking Age. You will be able to review your family chronicle at any time through the in-game interface, and you will also be able to export it to a text file so that you can keep it and share it with your friends. Maybe you'll even want to format it in a fancy font, print it in color and show it off properly.

Finally, for todays dev diary, let's talk about assassinations. There are two major changes being done here - and this part is free content, meaning it will be in the patch for everyone whether you have the Charlemagne DLC or not.

The first change is that the assassination diplomacy action has been removed. Since we introduced plots in Crusader Kings II, we've really had two different and wholly separated systems for assassinations. No longer. The click-to-assassinate mechanic was, to be honest, somewhat obsolete considering how the game has evolved over the past few years. From now you'll have to run a proper plot in order to kill someone, which also makes for much more interesting gameplay.

The second change to assassinations is that we've added a way for you to defend yourself from those who would plot your untimely death. There is now a new decision called "Go Into Hiding", which allows you to remove yourself from the public eye for as long as you desire and thus greatly decrease the chance of any murder plots against you succeeding. The decision is available at any time that there is a known or suspected murder plot against you (you might be wrong of course, but being paranoid doesn't mean that they're not actually out to get you). This new mechanic will have a number of new events associated with it.

You will also be able to send your spouse or any of your children into hiding in the same way - provided they are not rulers themselves, they are in your court, and that there is a credible threat against them.

You may come out of hiding, or take your dependants out of hiding, at any time you wish.

ck2_16.png

Hiding away in the inner rooms of your castle for prolonged periods of time does have its price, however. Your inability to hold court means that you will suffer a reduction to your diplomacy attribute while in hiding, and your vassals with be less loyal due to your absence. You will also be unable to hold feasts and tournaments, travel, lead armies and all those other things that would require you to leave your hiding place and step out into that evil and dangerous outside world.

There are of course also other risks associated with hiding. People living in relative isolation during extended periods have at times been known to... how to put it... suffer certain effects to their personality. But I'm sure you'll be fine!

Titular titles sounds like how it works in CKII+, and that is a very very good thing. So does this mean there are no de jure empires besides HRE and ERE? Or is there still like... Wendish Empire and stuff. Also, if you create a titular empire, will it be culture based? And will it take the color of the independent kingdom that it is formed from? I.E. Will Ireland create the titular "Irish Empire" and will it retain its green color?

Empire of Gotland/Cornwall/Jerusalem/, these, I am going to make.

Just a question tho'. Kingdom of The Sunni Caliphate, will things like these be possible?

Two things: I am a bit upset that I won't be able to change the coat of arms (and the colour of the realm) even though I own the Customisation pack.
The second thing, how am I supposed to assassinate some random adventurer in a different court, where no one likes me? There should be some mechanic of sorts that you can pay your way up the plot percentage, or something similar to that. Also I want to have a way to get rid of my imbecile children, please.

Is there any chance of us being able to include our own Logs in the Chronicle? (adding things we deam important even if the game itself doesnt) That would be GRAND!

I'd like to add my concern about getting rid of the insta-assassinate button. I mostly used it to deal with Adventurers, which I consider the worst implemented feature in all of CK2. I also used it to deal with Decadence (not so oddly, what I consider the second worst implemented feature of CK2).

Can we get a firm commitment of reworks of the bad features which people use the assassinate button to avoid? Without that, I doubt that the removal of the assassinate button will go well.

Will there be a new way to abdicate or suicide?

The most useful thing about the old Assassinate button was the response if you failed. It was a good way to "off" your character if you wanted to play your heir instead.

What about dejure Kingdoms that already share their name with a Duchy, for example Brittany, if you have the Duchy of Brittany and two others you could create the Kingdom of Brittany without fulfilling the normal requirements (or if it already exists somewhere else), will you then create a "new" Kingdom of Brittany? What would it be named then?

I'm still convinced that there should be no de jure map over Duchies, in 769. You are going to form the de jure kingdoms of...what? Most of the de jure map wasn't even a twinkle in the eyes of History.

What about dejure Kingdoms that already share their name with a Duchy, for example Brittany, if you have the Duchy of Brittany and two others you could create the Kingdom of Brittany without fulfilling the normal requirements (or if it already exists somewhere else), will you then create a "new" Kingdom of Brittany? What would it be named then?

Can't one just usurp the Kingdom of Britanny if one holds the Duchy of Britanny?

Would you be able to add several targets in assassination plots? Like a mass killing off of rival dynasties or unruly vassals. Of course though, the more you add, the less chance of it all coming together and working at 100%.

we've always felt that it would be nice to create... something that enables you to look back on your history and that you can also keep as a record after the game. This is why we've now added the Dynasty Chronicle.
This sounds interesting and fun. I hope this chronicle won't be too much like the one in EU4 with exactly the same sentence coming back almost every time.

I'm still convinced that there should be no de jure map over Duchies, in 769. You are going to form the de jure kingdoms of...what? Most of the de jure map wasn't even a twinkle in the eyes of History.

Well yeah, although there were some de jure kingdoms / empires going back that far, the vast majority should be blank. I'm not sure if the mechanics can support blank de jure kingdoms though.

Although dynamic title formation was long overdue, I'm a little bit disappointed that it is DLC, rather than patch, content. After all, the problem of prescriptive fantasy empires determining what the higher tier powers should be, wasn't in vanilla. Essentially, Paradox introduced an immersion-breaking problem, and are apparently going to charge for the fix.

With de jure drift with custom titles, will everything still drift by the default de jure duchies and kingdoms on the map? For example, right now if I hold a bunch of counties in the levant as the Byzantines I need to capture all of the de jure kingdom of jerusalem or syria for anything to begin to drift. Will this still be the case, or will things drift county by county to allow custom titles more flexibility?

This might already have been asked, but what will be the moddability of the new chronicle?

The new title will inherit its name and coat of arms from the primary duchy or kingdom title that the ruler had before.
So there's no way (other than modding) to use a county CoA for this? That is disappointing. There go my plans of the SuperFerret Empire*. :(

*If you're confused by that title, check out the county of Vannes.

I am rather concerned about the removal of assassination.
The plots menu generally doesn't let me choose the person I wish to assassinate. There are one or two candidates that are relevant and that's it.

the dev blog simply states that the diplo option is removed. The absence of "here is how you can now assassinate the people you used that option on" is lacking.

I've read a lot of similar worries / comments earlier in the thread, any chance a dev or community person can respond on this issue?
just dropping the option from diplo will remove a rather important feature without replacing the functionality.