• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
CK3 Dev Diary #64 - Cultures Are Forever
Salutations!

Before we begin, first things first. We are working on an additional patch to fix some of the issues introduced in 1.4. The patch is still being worked on, but if everything goes as planned, we should be able to get it out sometime next week or so. We’ll let you know once the patch is ready.

With that out of the way, let’s talk about something I’m quite excited to share with you all. As you probably know already, we’ve talked a bit about how we are revisiting cultures for the next expansion: Royal Court. Unlike faiths, which got a lot of attention prior to release as we made them quite dynamic and customizable, cultures can feel a bit static, and aren't anywhere near as interesting as faiths. That is all about to change!

We are revising cultures as you know them. Most exciting is perhaps the possibility to create new cultures! Both for simulating historical events and to create plausible and interesting alt-history scenarios. But I’m getting ahead of myself. For now, let’s start by looking at the foundation of a culture and the different components they are made of. This is what the new culture screen will look like.

01_culture_window.jpg

[Image of the new and updated culture interface]

Cultural Pillars

A culture has five main Cultural Pillars. These are Ethos, Heritage, Language, Martial Custom, and finally Aesthetics. Of these, the Ethos is perhaps the most significant, but all of them play a particular role in how a culture plays and how cultures view each other.

Ethos
Each ethos is framed around a particular theme that somehow ties into a fairly broad definition of what a culture is. A culture’s ethos not only provides effects and bonuses for having it, it also ties into how easy or difficult it is to acquire certain traditions (more on this further down). There are seven in total:
  • Bellicose
  • Communal
  • Courtly
  • Egalitarian
  • Inventive
  • Spiritual
  • Stoic

Here are a few examples of what they may look like in-game:

02_ethos_bellicose.jpg

[Image of the Bellicose ethos]

03_ethos_spiritual.jpg

[Image of the Spiritual ethos]

04_ethos_inventive.jpg

[Image of the Inventive ethos]

Heritage
A culture's heritage can be compared to the culture groups that you may be used to in the existing system. Heritages will roughly match said culture groups. You’ll see an Iberian Heritage for cultures like Basque and Castilian, or Turkic Heritage for Turkic cultures, such as Oghuz and Cuman. In terms of gameplay, the most outstanding effect of a shared heritage is the impact it has on Cultural Acceptance.

Language
Each culture has a designated language. Languages vary greatly across the map and between cultures. Some languages, such as Arabic, are spoken by quite a few cultures. Other languages are spoken by no more than two or three cultures, or in some cases, cultures even have their own unique language. An example of these would be Basque, who really don't have any closely related languages and it wouldn’t make too much sense to group them together with their neighbors. The vast majority of cultures share a language though, as a sort of “language group” rather than a specific language.

Characters can always speak the associated language of their culture. They are, however, also able to learn multiple languages over their lifetime. Knowing multiple languages has its benefits, as speaking the same language as another character of a different culture, and county, will reduce the opinion penalty that character, or county, has towards you. Knowing the native language (i.e. the language of their culture) of your vassals is therefore fairly beneficial as a means of increasing their opinion of you.

Noble Martial Custom
The martial custom decides which gender you may appoint as knights and commanders. As you’d expect, you can either appoint men, women, or both. We always felt that having the gender doctrine on faiths decide which characters can and cannot participate in battles felt off. The doctrine is about the right to rule and the holding of titles, more so than anything else. Just because you want the Equal doctrine to allow female rulers, doesn’t mean that women would automatically lead your armies or join you as knights. Revising cultures gave us the ample opportunity to move the functionality from faiths over to cultures. Which also means that you’ll have additional options in shaping your realm.

Aesthetics
This pillar is really a collection of several smaller properties for what a culture “looks” like. It decides what type of clothes characters wear, the coat of arms style for dynasties, what architecture holdings use, and the type of armor the units on the map wear.

This is also the pillar that contains what naming practices the culture uses. Mainly what character names to use, if they use a dynasty prefix, etc. The naming practice will also be used to change title and holding names, which used to be set per culture, so as to not have titles change names if you create a new culture.

For all of you modders out there; all of these can be set individually per culture. Allowing you to mix and match the different aesthetics to your heart’s content.

Traditions

Traditions are the meat of the cultural overhaul, and provide that extra layer of variety and immersion that can have a significant impact on gameplay. An important aspect of traditions is that they give us a clear means of visualizing and explaining existing mechanics that previously just “was a thing” and never explained. Take Anglo-Saxon as an example. They have access to the Saxon Elective succession for no apparent reason other than “they do”. Instead, they now have a tradition that grants them the succession law, making it clear as to why they have it. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, traditions serve as the perfect means of giving a culture additional flavour or gameplay bonuses that add a greater degree of variety across the map.

A culture can have no more than five traditions in total, but this number will increase as you enter a new era. Most cultures will start the game with around three or four, which leaves plenty of room for you to shape your culture as you play the game. As the cultural head, you’ll have the ability to establish new traditions.

Not all traditions will be available everywhere. We have both regional traditions, as well as traditions that are available depending on your heritage. The vast majority of them can be established regardless of circumstances, but might require certain conditions, such as ‘Hill Dwellers’ having the requirement that your culture must be present in a county with hills.

Traditions cost prestige to adopt. Which will be the largest hurdle for you to overcome if you want a specific tradition. The prestige cost is dependent on your ethos. Certain traditions will be more expensive than others, if you don’t have a matching ethos. Similarly, a tradition will increase in cost if your culture, or in some cases the cultural head, doesn’t fulfill a specific and thematic requirement. An example would be a tradition named ‘Only the Strong’, which is more expensive if you as the cultural head don't have at least six knights with at least 12 prowess. The increased cost is meant to act as a softer limit and make it slightly more difficult to establish certain traditions (depending on your circumstances), but not as much as to make it impossible to do so, should you want to go and unlock a particular tradition.

Instead of explaining traditions in detail, I’ll just show you a few examples of what traditions may look like, as well as the type of effects you can expect from them.

05_tradition_swordsforhire.jpg

[Image of the Swords for Hire tradition]

06_tradition_chivalry.jpg

[Image of the Chivalry tradition]

07_tradition_esteemedhospitality.jpg

[Image of the Esteemed Hospitality tradition]

08_tradition_seafarers.jpg

[Image of the Seafarers tradition]

09_tradition_landofthebow.jpg

[Image of the Land of the Bow tradition]

Cultural Acceptance

Cultural acceptance can be described as how well intermingled two cultures are, and how accepting they are of each other. Which means that given enough time, cultures will dislike each other less, and culture converting everything within your realm is no longer the only solution to combat cultural differences.

The opinion penalty of being of a different culture used to be a static value. Now, it will depend on the cultural acceptance between your culture and the target culture. Each culture has an acceptance value of another culture, visualized as a percentage. Depending on the amount of acceptance, the “different culture” opinion penalty will gradually be reduced. At 0% acceptance, you’ll have the full opinion penalty. At 100%, the penalty is removed altogether. Acceptance goes both ways. So if the French have a 20% acceptance towards Normans, the same will be true from the Norman perspective.

There are two ways for acceptance to change. The first is an acceptance baseline. Which increases if two cultures share similarities with one another. There are a number of different modifiers that can increase the baseline. Such as cultures that share the same religion or faith, ethos, or language. The most impactful modifier, however, is heritage. If two cultures share the same heritage, they have a significant bonus to their baseline.

If acceptance is above the baseline, it will slowly decay over time towards the targeted value. Being below the baseline on the other hand, will not make the acceptance increase. A bad relation between cultures won’t disappear overnight.

Secondly, acceptance very much changes depending on the circumstances. Don’t expect two cultures that never interact with one another to gain acceptance. If cultures exist within the same realm though, it will increase over time. This applies to both counties of another culture within your realm, as well as vassals. Acceptance is also reactive. Taking certain actions towards characters of a different culture will have consequences on your acceptance, such as declaring war or revoking titles. This generally scales on size. While the difference isn’t huge, revoking a single county from a small culture will decrease your acceptance more than if you would revoke a county from a much larger culture. At the end of the day, if you want to maintain a high acceptance and keep your Occitan vassals in France happy, you are at least gonna have to try and be nice to them.

10_cultural_acceptance.jpg

[Image of what the cultural acceptance between two cultures may look like]

There we go. That’s what a culture will look like in the near future. Oh! Before I forget; Best of all? The cultural rework is free, and will accompany the free update that launches alongside the Royal Court expansion!

Until next time!

A pretty minor point, but if a child grows of one culture until a reasonable age (say, 10), and then is educated into another culture, will he automatically speak both cultures' respective languages?

• 10Like
Reactions:
It would be really cool have bad cultural things and traditions, and don't be completely good things, like imperialist, give you prestige/levy/tecnological-progress but people of other countrys dislikes you more, and after 100 years for example give the rulers of the culture a trait of decadency. Or just more simple things that the people of your culture is lazy.

And one more thing, i really, but really want truly is events of tradition and changes on it. Of course will be events, but i mean more for the roleplay the character and be like more on ck2 that just casually happen and don't big matter, i expect minimum a big repertoire of events for each trait of the culture and variants on it if the event in question do some combination with other trait of the culture. If this BIG DLC is not like this as minimum, i will be disappointed about all this game.
I am saying all this here because i don't speak anywhere to developers or something, so i say it here and now because it really cares me this DLC that will mean a lot for me and the game.

• 1Like
Reactions:
How will flavourization work from now on ? If there are special names for Welsh titles for example, will they stay the same for a new culture "based" on Welsh ?

EDIT: Also regarding flavourization modding will the creation of special title names stay the same ? For example simply specifying that the flavourized title is for "cultures = { welsh }" ?

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
It would be really cool have bad cultural things and traditions, and don't be completely good things, like imperialist, give you prestige/levy/tecnological-progress but people of other countrys dislikes you more, and after 100 years for example give the rulers of the culture a trait of decadency. Or just more simple things that the people of your culture is lazy.

And one more thing, i really, but really want truly is events of tradition and changes on it. Of course will be events, but i mean more for the roleplay the character and be like more on ck2 that just casually happen and don't big matter, i expect minimum a big repertoire of events for each trait of the culture and variants on it if the event in question do some combination with other trait of the culture. If this BIG DLC is not like this as minimum, i will be disappointed about all this game.
I am saying all this here because i don't speak anywhere to developers or something, so i say it here and now because it really cares me this DLC that will mean a lot for me and the game.
making cultures have negative stereotypes is how people get outraged and accuse paradox of discrimination

Reactions:
Very good, I like most of what I see.
However, I'm a bit troubled by ethos being the defining headliner and probably locked. After all some cultures tended to change ethos every century depending on the zeitgeist. (Like Swedish going Bellicose or Spiritual to Inventive to Egalitarian over the last 300 years.)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Quick question. There are currently lifestyle bonuses that decrease the cost of reforming faith. Will cultures get something similar?
We might have a tradition or two that may or may not affect things such as creating or reforming a faith...

Will views of gender of faiths still be a thing? At least they should decide who could be a priest.
For example, you can't make a man vestalis, while galli of Cybele are often eunuch.
The different doctrines remains unchanged, outside of the main gender doctrine. Which, as mentioned in the DD, no longer affects who can be a knight or commander.

Awesome!

1. Will having a male only Martial culture prevent the AI from picking martial education for girls? I really think it should.
2. Will the Spiritual Ethos give a control growth modifier to all counties, or only "same faith" counties?
1. As far as I know, it won't affect the AI for picking education. Might be something to consider though, but I would never want to block it completely.
2. This modifier in question is added to a character, so you will always be able to benefit from it.

• 10Like
Reactions:
I liked everything I heard here but I have one request

Being that cultures will adopt new traditions as they game goes on. Please, please, PLEASE allow a custom game rule for the AI to follow historicity or a "script" of historical traditions, or at least follow logic.
Bordergore and religiongore are one thing, but I don't think I can deal with culturegore too.

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I'm sorry but I don't like this at all.
First off it associates many sterotypes to predetermined cultures (some of these are just absurd... Anglo Saxon inventive??), but my main issue is that it feels too artificial and player guided, same as religion. How many cultures in history were created ex-novo from the decision of a King or Emperor? It could certainly be a factor, but these sort of changes should be 90% dictated by factors external to player, to which one should react to.

EDIT, because I did not see a reply from the devs stating that the only way to change a tradition is to create a new culture... how does this make cultures more dynamic? If anything it makes them more static. The game should be able to mimic the way cultures evolved in the span of 600 years. How can it makes sense that without player intervention 9th century Frankish kingdoms have the same culture as mid 15th century France? Please devs do correct me if I did not understand correctly.

I have the feeling that you are trying to add su much diversity into this game, but it's ending up making it more... bland, sometimes less is more.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Please PLEASE do not make the mistake of thinking that the basque nobility spoke basque when they spoke indeed castillian. Dont break the game balance adding issues that didn't exist in the past based on today's prejudices of the modern era. BAsque until recently in history wasn't spoken except by rural folk in the Basque mountains.
This discussion is way to specific for the dev diary, but I just wanted to point out that this is an interesting point of view, to put it nicely.
Just a few points though:
- the nobility, burghers and monks in the kingdom of Navarra mostly spoke Occitan, not Castilian
- there were Basque nobles who spoke Basque as their native and everyday language; one famous example being Joan Pérez de Lazarraga, author of the eponymous manuscript
- the fact that the reformation of the Church of Navarra by Jeanne d'Albret required a translation of the bible into Basque is somewhat demonstrative of the fact that it was widely spoken among the populace; the fact that there is evidence of Basque-Icelandic and Basque-Algonquian pidgin languages having developed in the 16th century shows that the Basque fishermen and whalers who ventured Northwest used their language (and not Castilian) as a matter of course.

Usage of Basque was successfully suppressed by a centralist Spanish state beginning the 18th century, resulting indeed in the language being limited mostly to remote villages before the transition to democracy, but that was long after the period covered by CK3.

A little more on topic: love this dev diary and the new concept of cultures :)

• 2Like
Reactions:
First off it associates many sterotypes to predetermined cultures (some of these are just absurd... Anglo Saxon inventive??), but my main issue is that it feels too artificial and player guided, same as religion. How many cultures in history were created ex-novo from the decision of a King or Emperor? It could certainly be a factor, but these sort of changes should be 90% dictated by factors external to player, to which one should react to.

I have the feeling that you are trying to add su much diversity into this game, but it's ending up making it more... bland, sometimes less is more.
yes... imagine a ruler saying "ok we aren't Greek anymore, we're merging our culture with with the Hungarians so you better all learn a bunch of their words" or something. it's absurd. I get that they want player control over mechanics but the game keeps moving farther away from any sort of realism and it's a bother for me

• 2Like
Reactions:
Good work there. Looking nice! A couple of questions:
Can a culture have more than one language?
I ask it mainly because of this case:
An example of these would be Basque, who really don't have any closely related languages
While that is completely correct it is true too that there seems to have existed a high degree of bilingualism in the Medieval Basque population, being Basque the spoken language and Romance or Spanish the written one, at least for the elite of nobilitiy and town people. Most of the Basque and Navarrese documents and legal codes were written in Spanish, and only a letter mixing Spanish and Basque exist as a written document for the period (the letter by Machin de Zalba to Martín de San Martín in 1416). To have Basques not understanding Spanish would be very odd given that Spanish was so omnipresent as a Municipal, Goverment and Literarly language.
Probably that is also the case for other Cultures in this timeframe: maybe England with English and French, Aragon with Catalan and Aragonese, etc.

Also, I suppose that the access that Basque, Aragonese, Catalan and Occitan have to Gender Equal Succession and High Partition will become a tradition now. Is that the case? If so, it can be the perfect opportunity to correct a certain historicity issue caused by it ;)

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
You mentioned opinion modifiers between cultures based on religion - so does each culture have a "default" religion and can that be changed? For example the Galician culture is split between Catholicism and Islam at game start, will they be able to change that depending on how the reconquista goes?
No it just checks if the majority religion of provinces of that culture is the same

Secondly a question regarding the aesthetics choice. It seems to imply clothing, naming schemes, coat of arms, architecture, and unit models are all locked together. Character ethnicity isn't mentioned at all but I would assume those are in this group as well or maybe in the heritage one? Regardless locking it together would mean it is impossible to diverge into a culture that uses middle eastern clothing, but greek coat of arms and architecture. with west european title names.
Yeah I'm also interested in that. If for example we create Indo-Norse culture as Norse, and want to have a culture of Norsemen with Indian clothing, what will define ethnicity of new spawned characters? Will they be just Norse, just Indians in looks?

• 2Like
Reactions:
1. No plans for doing something similar for faiths, no.
2. We don't do anything to block the martial lifestyle. You'll be able to pick it as any character just like you can do at the moment.
3. You won't have to first learn the language in order to convert, but we could probably add a converstion cost bonus (or something similar) if you do.
4. Creating a new culture will be the way for you to change traditions, but we'll go into detail of how that works in a future DD.
point 4 is especially disappointing and frustrating. They’re supposedly dynamic cultures and then you tell us that the only way cultures actually change in CK3 is by making new ones, as if cultures in 867 and 1453 were the exact same and didn’t evolve over time.

This looks like a weak base that i’ll need a glut of mods to actually turn into an acceptable system, ngl.

• 18Like
Reactions:

I get the impression the ethoses (ethosi?) shown are not necessary the ones the attached cultures will have when the DLC is released, but instead are just shown demonstratively here.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I get the impression the ethoses (ethosi?) shown are not necessary the ones the attached cultures will have when the DLC is released, but instead are just shown demonstratively here.
That's also possible, but they still need to associate some predetermined ethos to starting cultures.

Reactions:
How will the AI handle the culture changes?
As per design the AI never creates new religions, usually simply embraces heresies, will be the same for cultures or will the AI try to dynamically change cultures and/or convert culture?

• 5Like
Reactions:
Of course my main concern is the traditions being immutable once chosen unless you explicitly stop being that culture (by creating a new one) And I believe I am not alone in this. The secondary concern of not being able to mix and match different parts of the current aesthetic pillar is, well secondary, but nonetheless not nonexistent.
I therefore hope these two parts might be reconsidered at least a bit.
i second this

• 10Like
Reactions:
This is really interesting and I'm definitely looking forward exploring all of the options but I feel like as long as partition remains the default method of inheritance military focused cultures are going to be a lot stronger and more useful than other types simply because they allow you better maintain an intact realm.

• 1Like
Reactions:
point 4 is especially disappointing and frustrating. They’re supposedly dynamic cultures and then you tell us that the only way cultures actually change in CK3 is by making new ones, as if cultures in 867 and 1453 were the exact same and didn’t evolve over time.

This looks like a weak base that i’ll need a glut of mods to actually turn into an acceptable system, ngl.
You're taking his response out of context. The original question was "Can I change an ethos if I don't like it" obviously it makes sense that you can't simply change a whole cultural ethos at the whim of a king.
IMO "creating a new culture" should be something that takes generations of effort by multiple monarchs to achieve not something that should be able to be done at the click of a button.

Besides, read the dev diary, It clearly states that each culture has a max 5 traditions and only starts with 2 or 3. Cultures WILL change as the game progresses. This will obviously be more pronounced as Norse diverges into Swedish or Norman diverges into English etc.

• 5Like
Reactions: