CK3 Dev Diary #64 - Cultures Are Forever

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
Great work!
Question, are you ever going to rework the Baltic area in the future in terms of map, culture, etc. ?
There are some things that could be tweaked, like translation and borders.
Love you CK3 team <3
No immediate plans, but we always try to improve the map when we can, so we'll probably get back to improving the Baltic area at some point in the future.

• 58Like
Reactions:
Love this longer and more in depth Dev Diary, the culture rework looks fantastic so far. Will every culture receive unique traditions, or is it only a select few? And are Men at Arms types which were locked behind innovations now tied to tradition?
We have a fair amount of both widely available traditions, as well as unique traditions. Some are culture specific, others are for a heritage. Most cultures will have a healthy mix of both.

Will it be possible for a culture to have more than one designated language? I'm thinking as one of the mod team members for Realms in Exile, a lot of the cultures in Middle-Earth speak multiple language - a Noldor elf likely speaks Westron, Sindarin and Quenya, a Rohirrim speaks Westron and Rohirric, a Gondorian speaks Westron and Sindarin, etc.
We wanted to keep the language feature fairly simple for now, so a culture will only have a single language.

Ooh this looks cool.

One thing I am wondering about is what about Languages that come into existance during this time frame? Things like Hindi which did not exist at either start date and came about with the various Turkish and Persian empires*. Or how English changed from Old English to Middle English.

*Hindustani also shouldn't be a culture at start but a melting port culture.
More on stuff like this in future DDs. ;)
We don't do anything to introduce new languages over time specifically though.

• 6Like
Reactions:
This looks interesting. I have some questions:
-> Are there any plans to also implement an "acceptance" mechanic like this for faiths/religions as well, or will they stay at the evil/hostile/astray system?
-> In a hypothetical culture/faith combo where on gender is rulers and the other is commanders/knights, how would the martial lifestyle be handled? Since your gender as the ruler "shouldn't" be engaged in martial activities?
-> Will it be more difficult to convert to a different culture? Do I need to learn the language first before I can convert? Will counties be easier/harder to convert based on similarity?
-> What if I don't like the traditions or ethos of my culture? Can I change them as the culture head, or do I have to diverge?
1. No plans for doing something similar for faiths, no.
2. We don't do anything to block the martial lifestyle. You'll be able to pick it as any character just like you can do at the moment.
3. You won't have to first learn the language in order to convert, but we could probably add a converstion cost bonus (or something similar) if you do.
4. Creating a new culture will be the way for you to change traditions, but we'll go into detail of how that works in a future DD.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Some modding related questions:

1. How will this affect Communal Identity?
  2. Will some innovations be changed into traditions or pillars?
  3. Does the Tradeport bonus mean a duplicated building line or more modding tools?
  4. How does it affect the culture creation decisions and events like the Norse culture split, the Norman culture creation, or Outremer
1. Communal Identity should remain largely unaffected and retain the effects it has on conversion and promote culture.
2. Yes. Most of the Men-at-Arms traditions have been converted into traditions. Those innovations were mostly framed around a "cultural" theme anyway, so it made a lot of sense to move them over to the new system.
3. New modding potential!
4. You'll still be able to adopt new cultures like this. We'll go into further details when we talk more about culture creation.

• 8Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Thank you for this very juicy DD :) With the aesthetics, can we expect more 2D and 3D holding graphics with the upcoming expansion?
We don't have anything for holdings graphics in the expansion, sadly. The focus is on the Royal Court itself.

How many traditions are there going to be, total?
We have well over a hundred at the moment, but we'll have to wait and see how many we'll actually end up with!

Can you tell us about changes to Innovations? Are there plans for them in Royal Court?
As I mentioned in a previous post. Some innovations, most notebly some of the Men-at-Arms innovations, have been converted into being traditions instead. Other than that, no major changes have been done.

Looks very promising, although I'm a bit hesitant about balancing and power creep, as a synergized Culture and Religion could result in some pretty ridicolous combinations. And this isn't even taking into accounts the bonuses gained from a court and artifacs.
A well warranted concern. While we do have traditions that do provide you with bonuses, our approach has been to focus on adding variety and making things feel different when playing as different cultures. Some traditions might give you niche bonuses that won't always be useful, or give you a bonus at the cost of something else, forcing you to a trade off. With that said, we'll keep balance in mind to avoid blatant stat inflation and power creep.

• 38Like
  • 6Love
Reactions:
Quick question. There are currently lifestyle bonuses that decrease the cost of reforming faith. Will cultures get something similar?
We might have a tradition or two that may or may not affect things such as creating or reforming a faith...

Will views of gender of faiths still be a thing? At least they should decide who could be a priest.
For example, you can't make a man vestalis, while galli of Cybele are often eunuch.
The different doctrines remains unchanged, outside of the main gender doctrine. Which, as mentioned in the DD, no longer affects who can be a knight or commander.

Awesome!

1. Will having a male only Martial culture prevent the AI from picking martial education for girls? I really think it should.
2. Will the Spiritual Ethos give a control growth modifier to all counties, or only "same faith" counties?
1. As far as I know, it won't affect the AI for picking education. Might be something to consider though, but I would never want to block it completely.
2. This modifier in question is added to a character, so you will always be able to benefit from it.

• 10Like
Reactions:
Very glad I bought the Royal Edition. Interested to see how the mechanics will work and how it will play with the Ruler Designer. Will you be able to create a ruler with a unique culture and then convert your subjects to it like now or will it be more linear?
You won't be able to create a new culture directly in the Ruler Designer, unfortunately.

Incredible dev diary! But I have to ask : Wouldn't it be way more coherent to tie the naming practices to the language group and not to the Aesthetic?
That's a fair point. However, since all cultures have their own name lists, we would have to create a language for every single culture. For gameplay purposes, we kind of like having languages overlap a bit, since it reduces opinion between cultures and adds some interesting immersion.

A general note regarding the Aesthetics. While we do lump them together in the interface, they are handled separately. We put them together in the interface mostly out of convenience and as to not blot the interface. They also tie into culture creation a bit. But more on that later!

• 10Like
Reactions:
Soo the Vlachs will still be in the South Slavic Group or are they in their own culture group (Easter Latin/Romance)?
Vlach and what they look like at the moment:
vlach.jpg

• 25Like
  • 21Love
Reactions:
I'll try my luck with another question :
What are the differences in aesthetic choices between divergence and hybridation when creating a new culture?
If I am French and diverge into a new culture, do I only have access to French Aesthetic or to any other aesthetic on the map?
Same question for hybridation, if I create a hybrid culture French-German, do I have access to only French and German Aesthetic?
Patience my friend. Patience.

Can we assume rulers can lead their own armies regardless of the Noble Martial Custom of their culture?
Correct! I forgot to mention that in the DD.

• 11Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I think this question was on lifestyles affecting culture costs. In the learning lifestyle there is Prophet and Apostate that affect costs on reforming/creating religions and converting to new religions, will there be similar lifestyle choices that affect the costs for altering/creating or changing cultures?
Right. I misunderstood the question. Lifestyles don't have any Perks that affects culture costs. Reasoning is that we don't want it to be too closely related to the actual ruler, but more dependent on the circumstances of your culture.

• 14Like
Reactions:
Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but if you start with 4/5 slots filled, that doesn't immediately sound like a lot of choice.
I shouldn't have used the words "in total", that was needlessly confusing. While numbers are subject to change, the current setup is that you start with a maximum of 5 tradition slots in the tribal era, and then gain +1 for each additional era your culture enters, for a maximum of 8 slots once you are in the Late Medieval era.

• 12Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Will modders be able to add such tradition slot unlocks in script?
E.g. an innovation that unlocks a tradition slot, or forming a particular title for the first time unlocks a tradition slot for the founding culture?
Its a modifier type that exists on the culture so it can be granted by anything applying modifiers on a culture such as eras and innovations.
Less sure about forming a specific title as that won't have any tied culture modifier, but that seems pretty unrelated to a potentially larger culture spreading across the map anyway so not sure it'd make sense for that to be tied together there anyway.

• 3Like
Reactions: